Training - Friday 25 November, 2011

Whispering_Jack

Redleg is our man on the spot at training and no doubt he and others will report in later but he phoned this report.

The players were using the footballs and the drills look to be very organised and intense with lots of instruction and the players are working hard.

A few of the boys are well muscled - Beamer and Jones are positively rippling. Cale Morton looks stronger in the body but not necessarily in the arms.

Max Gawn is a man mountatin - Tom McDonald looks strong and Matty Bate looks amazingly fit. Redleg says that he thinks he might well start in the midfield.

The players have dropped into five or six groups are doing new drills in the separate groups involving different coaches. The drills look well prepared and the players know the routine and order as each change of drills happens.

Mitch Clark, Michael Evans and Jack Trengove were behind the goals doing drills, they're now running laps.

Jack Grimes, Neville Jetta, Kelvin Lawrence, Ricky Petterd, James Strauss and Luke Tapscott are also in rehab and doing laps and Liam Jurrah is doing laps with a trainer pushing him along at the end. He looks a bit bigger and stronger.

Tom Couch has a strong upper body and is training well.

Absent as far as Redleg could see were Clint Bartram, Aaron Davey, Jake Spencer and Coin Sylvia and, understandably, there was no appearance from any of last night's draftees.

• Like 1

Thanks for Redleg's phone in- interesting that he confirms many of our thoughts whom attend training . Bate is the fittest I have ever seen him, and in match par tice skills he is working with the midfielders and as such seems to be training for a role there.He played a similar role when he won the Under 18's B& F.

Thanks for Redleg's phone in- interesting that he confirms many of our thoughts whom attend training . Bate is the fittest I have ever seen him, and in match par tice skills he is working with the midfielders and as such seems to be training for a role there.He played a similar role when he won the Under 18's B& F.

I'd second that.

Gysberts was running well and gave more when asked to challenge the leaders. Good sign.

I liked the defensive handball strategy, a bit of keepings off really, the idea hoping you can keep control of the ball for 10 handballs without being tackled by the opposition. They did it very well.

Gawn looks super fit and to me looks certain to partner Jamar in the ruck. Fitzy was running with the rucks, but Martin seemed to be with the defenders.

No main group running today?

They were all split up into smaller groups and groups sent off at about 20sec intervals.

Obviously with the quicker groups sent off first.

So it looks like they have classified the groups based on times over the past 3 weeks.

From seeing Bate 1st hand last year, he ran a training session at Black Rock Footy Club where I play, he is a lot leaner than appears on the ground/TV. Glad to hear he is potentially even leaner and interested to see if he gets a run into the midfield.

Dropped in. Sylvia was there briefly but did no work I saw.

Many running laps, Grimes, Tapscott, Jetta, Clark after the behind the goals drill.

Neil Craig very vocal. Leigh Brown, Rawlings and others very clear in the instruction to get over to your mate and encourage/support.

They ran laps at the end. All coaches into Gysberts to go much harder and get past others.

The players I didn't see were Bail, Cook, Davey, McKenzie, Spencer & Sylvia. They may have inside doing weights. swimming etc.

I must say I have never seen training as intense or as organized. There were coaches everywhere and it seemed like they had a couple of drills each and ran groups through their drills. a lot of the work and they went about 100 minutes, was quick handball either in a keepings off drill or running the length of the ground, by handball and only having the last kick for goal if they got inside 50. A turnover or dropped ball meant a stop and change of teams with the ball. later they did running work and I was interested to see Craig urging Fitzpatrick on and not let Gawn get in front of him. Craig was very vocal and Fitzy gave his all , won and then chucked his guts up. You can't say they aren't trying hard. I was very impressed with the session.

Bate looks fitter than I have ever seen him and maybe he can turn around his career this year under a new coach. He could be a big body for the middle.

Don't ever let me run into Tapscott without full medical cover. He is a very strong unit. LJ was just running laps but was being matched and pushed by a trainer. He looks a bit more solid this year but seemed to be finding the laps hard. I think they are determined to get him fitter.

Thanks Redleg.

Impressed that we are pushing people hard. Does Gawn still look as scared as he did at the Bluey night.

Very glad Bate is going all out this year and is being groomed for a new role, much better we try that than some other team.

Being a long way away I would be interested in a comparison with our training in previous years.

Thanks Redleg.

Impressed that we are pushing people hard. Does Gawn still look as scared as he did at the Bluey night.

Very glad Bate is going all out this year and is being groomed for a new role, much better we try that than some other team.

Being a long way away I would be interested in a comparison with our training in previous years.

Gawn looks big and not scared. In fact he is scary looking.

There is no comparison with training in previous years. It just looked so much more professional and intense. Players were working very hard and we would have to be fitter as a result. One thing I can say is that we are going to be a big list this year. Our height average must be way above previous years.

The players I didn't see were Bail, Cook, Davey, McKenzie, Spencer & Sylvia. They may have inside doing weights. swimming etc.

I must say I have never seen training as intense or as organized. There were coaches everywhere and it seemed like they had a couple of drills each and ran groups through their drills. a lot of the work and they went about 100 minutes, was quick handball either in a keepings off drill or running the length of the ground, by handball and only having the last kick for goal if they got inside 50. A turnover or dropped ball meant a stop and change of teams with the ball. later they did running work and I was interested to see Craig urging Fitzpatrick on and not let Gawn get in front of him. Craig was very vocal and Fitzy gave his all , won and then chucked his guts up. You can't say they aren't trying hard. I was very impressed with the session.

Bate looks fitter than I have ever seen him and maybe he can turn around his career this year under a new coach. He could be a big body for the middle.

Don't ever let me run into Tapscott without full medical cover. He is a very strong unit. LJ was just running laps but was being matched and pushed by a trainer. He looks a bit more solid this year but seemed to be finding the laps hard. I think they are determined to get him fitter.

great to hear! fitzy would need a bigger engine as most of the young kpp would. What was the running?

What was the running program? 100's? 400's?

The running started out as a 1k trial 21/2 laps.

The next was about 500m followed by about 300m

No sprints today. Apparently it was a soft week.

I wouldn't do that much running in a week when I played.

Running interupted the fags and drinking.

I'd second that.

Gysberts was running well and gave more when asked to challenge the leaders. Good sign.

I liked the defensive handball strategy, a bit of keepings off really, the idea hoping you can keep control of the ball for 10 handballs without being tackled by the opposition. They did it very well.

Gawn looks super fit and to me looks certain to partner Jamar in the ruck. Fitzy was running with the rucks, but Martin seemed to be with the defenders.

The updates on Gawn sound awesome. I really hope he gets some games for us in 2012, I definitely think that he is up to AFL standard, even though he isn't finished his development. It will be very interesting to see how Martin, Jamar and Gawn are used this year, and whether they will all be played in the same side or not. One thing is certain though: we are not lacking in our ruck stocks.

Ok..just got back from watching training today..they were doing full oval match simulation when I arrived ..another group was obviously the underdone guys were doing laps etc..another group doing light half leads contesting for a mark drills. This was a 'LIGHT' week apparently. Then split up into groups doing various inclose drill ie. handball, tackling etc.... The end of the over 90 minute session had the players in groups doing 4 by whatever? timed runs...put it this way..on a light week as this the guys were spent!! So good to see encouragement galore from players/coaches right through the session. We will be fit..trust me! Impressed with Neil Craig also..

any good info to share? happy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gif

happy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gif

What about info from you.

I must confess, I lease an eye lash of a horse that ran in a Novice Steeple at Taunton UK last night.

Rank outsider in a field of 6. And won like a good thing. Would you believe I had $5 on him.

( sorry for getting off the track) No other inside footy ino.

Edited by Chippy

What about info from you.

I must confess, I lease an eye lash of a horse that ran in a Novice Steeple at Taunton UK last night.

Rank outsider in a field of 6. And won like a good thing. Would you believe I had $5 on him.

( sorry for getting off the track) No other inside footy ino.

I hope you won something back for your eyelash. If it was a rank outsider, it must have paid well.

I did notice Bate up close a couple of weeks ago when I attended a training session that he spent time in the midfield drills with Royal and Greaves. Looks as though he will be given considered a role of sorts among others in the midfield. Looked as though he trimmed down a bit back then.

I was at training today and agree with the guys above in their match reviews. So organised and intense, also looked as if they were starting to address a number of our issues like the kick ins from full back. Also a lot of focus on everyone contesting the footy and trying to get the footy off other players etc... One thing I did notice was Liam Jurrah running laps with a trainer. Now what really interested me was what appeared to be Jurrah's lack of fitness. He was just jogging laps but every time the trainer went past he was barking instructions such as, lift you're feet, don't drop the intensity but also the trainer was over taking him at times. Also near the end of the session the trainer kept saying to him only 3 more laps Liam then home time, only 2 more laps... and so on. Really had to push him through this by the sound of it. I don't know if I am reading too much into it but he just looked so under done compared to everyone else. Is he/was he injured? I also hope his attitude picks up to the point where he is self motivated to get out of this boring rehab. The only time I saw a glimmer in his eyes was when the footy's came out for the full ground drill, I could tell he wanted to be out there. Anyway just my observations/opinions from today on LJ.