Training - Monday 14 November, 2011

Lutz

FWIW (and I'm going to be ridiculed for this), I actually think Jones could be as good as or at least a very similar type of player to Dane Swan. I don't think he's a Chapman. If anyone ever watches Dane Swan play, he runs his guts out and gets some looses possessions, he has a strong body and gets stuck into tight situations, grabs the hard ball and then gets the ball out in any way possible. He's not a pretty player. A lot of his 30+ possessions a game are actually just rushed kicks out of packs to push the ball forwards. Jones has been guilty in the past of trying to take too many players on than he should. But he is maturing. He has a strong body, knows how to get the ball, has reasonable skills when he actually has a target to hit and has been developing a good tank to cover the ground needed to get the loose ball. His finishing has steadily improved. He will now hopefully have a better system to work within with Neeld as coach. Swan became a top footballer at about the age of 25. Until then he was middle rung. I absolutely believe that Jones has the time and ability to turn himself into a Swan-esque type of footballer. He just needs to mature. Learn when to get a quick ugly kick off out of congestion, or try to finesse. I think in time he could become a star. Now I await my criticism...

Hope you are correct,you have raised some good points to back up your point of view.Good on ya !

Ahhhh I hate it when people talk about so and so not being a good decision maker. In a good team, decisions are easy... Because there is usually one or two obvious, easy options to choose. If a player is leading straight at you with his opponent 3 m behind, it's not even a decision where to kick. Jones gets in trouble because he has poor options to choose from, or sometimes none at all.

• Like 1

FWIW (and I'm going to be ridiculed for this), I actually think Jones could be as good as or at least a very similar type of player to Dane Swan. I don't think he's a Chapman. If anyone ever watches Dane Swan play, he runs his guts out and gets some looses possessions, he has a strong body and gets stuck into tight situations, grabs the hard ball and then gets the ball out in any way possible. He's not a pretty player. A lot of his 30+ possessions a game are actually just rushed kicks out of packs to push the ball forwards. Jones has been guilty in the past of trying to take too many players on than he should. But he is maturing. He has a strong body, knows how to get the ball, has reasonable skills when he actually has a target to hit and has been developing a good tank to cover the ground needed to get the loose ball. His finishing has steadily improved. He will now hopefully have a better system to work within with Neeld as coach. Swan became a top footballer at about the age of 25. Until then he was middle rung. I absolutely believe that Jones has the time and ability to turn himself into a Swan-esque type of footballer. He just needs to mature. Learn when to get a quick ugly kick off out of congestion, or try to finesse. I think in time he could become a star. Now I await my criticism...

I said the same thing a few months ago.

Was duly ridiculed.

People have short memories, and forget that Swan has only been in the elite bracket of mids for 2 years... since Neeld became his line coach.

May I ask what the Scully's has to do with Training on Monday? Take the Scully talk somewhere else. Enough about the Scully's, sick to death about it!

YES! hallelulah! why do so many people give a fat rats clacker about the scully situation? some of these posters are like 10yr old school girls jilted by the pretty girl in the class room. why do so many people give a toss? carlton havent yet won a flag with judd in the side - all these people that think scully was the answer obviously dont know their footy too well. an even side wins premierships, not a side with one guy on rockstar wages and the rest of the team ****ed off that their getting paid peanuts comparitively. drop the scully rubbish once and for all, get over the fact that not every 20yr old in the country loves the dees as much as we do , and lets discuss INTERESTING topics for a change. Build a bridge, posters.

• Like 1

big difference is speed. Although swan looks slightly retarded when running he covers the ground very quickly.

Drop past today for a little while, I'm not a big training watcher but I was driving past and had some spare time. The big thing that stood out to me was how small the main group was, there would have been 20 players tops in the main group. I missed the running and got there just as the balls came out. Not much to report except how impressive the coaching staff are. The teaching going on was great and the coaches just what to be involved. The other thing is the players are always on the move not much standing around. The last 10-15 minutes was good in that they split into group to what I think to work on player weakness. A group working on kicking(had the most) Fitzpatick and Gawn working on ruck work and tapping to a spot with Jones and Couch running to that spot. Then Watts and Howe working on body work and postioning with Rawlings. And a tackling group Bate, Dunn, Bennell, Green and a couple of others.

It would be nice to see more players on the track and hopefully that will come over the next few weeks

I absolutely believe that Jones has the time and ability to turn himself into a Swan-esque type of footballer. He just needs to mature.

The ugly duckling that grows into a swan...

Gotta admit, that's one fairy tale I would LOVE to come true...! LOL

• 1 year later...