Dean Bailey to Adelaide

beelzebub

Just watch the 2 Collingwood games from 2010....Bailey did a great job, but with no FD to speak of he was unable to sustain it.

I am not saying he was perfect...But he did a tough job pretty well.

whats that got to do with "but as a teacher of Raw kids, Bails did a fine job"?.

Without a Football department Budget how could he compete with the press Week after Week?? The List was Raw and Young when he took it over.

I am just looking at how far back he was when he first took it on....this club was dressed in rags by the end of 2007.

After the Geelong Debacle DB's senior tenure was over, but i do not under estimate what he has prepared for our new Football Departments.

WYL, I understand where you're coming from, but at the end of the day, coaches are judged on their win/loss ratio. There were so 'little' things he could have got right, but he was too unaware.

How many kids played in those 2 games?......Got a lot to do with it.

Face it WYL, you feel sorry for Bails so you are making excuses and flimsy claims because he was a nice guy who got a dirty job but in the end was very average.

Where is all your tough bruise-free talk now? He was just a journey-man coach taking us no-where

WYL, I understand where you're coming from, but at the end of the day, coaches are judged on their win/loss ratio. There were so 'little' things he could have got right, but he was too unaware.

Not disputing that JR...live by the sword...yes, but what i am saying & should never be forgotten is how much of a handicap Bails worked under for his first 2-3 years...no other team has been as cleaned out as ours was, for that reason i cut Bails a little slack...and would be happy for him to work at the club again in an assistant capacity. Many Players have improved dramatically under Bails...kudos to that.

Bails will be back at the MFC in a few years i reckon....as an assistant.

WYL, this is sentimental nonsense. As Thomo said, he was sacked. The relationship has been terminated - full stop. The parting might've amicable with hugs and pats on the back all round, but our involvement with the guy on a professional level is over, for good.

FWIW I agree with you that he took a bullet for the club in 08-10 and for that reason I'm very grateful and pleased that he's been able to continue his career in footy at another club. That's got little to nothing to do with why he was dismissed though.

• Like 3

WYL, this is sentimental nonsense. As Thomo said, he was sacked. The relationship has been terminated - full stop. The parting might've amicable with hugs and pats on the back all round, but our involvement with the guy on a professional level is over, for good.

FWIW I agree with you that he took a bullet for the club in 08-10 and for that reason I'm very grateful and pleased that he's been able to continue his career in footy at another club. That's got little to nothing to do with why he was dismissed though.

you could be right of course....i still think he would make an excellent assistant in future with a fully funded Football Dept.

By accepting to take that Bullet in 08-10 shows he does have a lot of inner resolve. That i admire.

I am not trying to be sentimental at all...2011 was unacceptable.

Don't under estimate the good qualities Dean has got though, many people wouldn't have touched that coaching job in 2008...with the criterior it was given...Bails did it without flinching.

Edited by why you little

you could be right of course....i still think he would make an excellent assistant in future with a fully funded Football Dept.

By accepting to take that Bullet in 08-10 shows he does have a lot of inner resolve. That i admire.

I am not trying to be sentimental at all...2011 was unacceptable.

Don't under estimate the good qualities Dean has got though, many people wouldn't have touched that coaching job in 2008...with the criterior it was given...Bails did it without flinching.

You're being a bit sentimental about referring to 'that' coaching job in 2008....coaching an AFL is a fairly prestigious gig.

You're being a bit sentimental about referring to 'that' coaching job in 2008....coaching an AFL is a fairly prestigious gig.

Yes except the MFC 2008 gig was probably the least prestigious gig apart from the last Fitzroy tenure.

We had no money & no home at that stage.

Guest Thomo

He didn't do it for free WYL. He would have recieved well over one million dollars in his time at Melbourne, and there are plenty of qualified coaches that would have taken the job.

Face it WYL, you feel sorry for Bails so you are making excuses and flimsy claims because he was a nice guy who got a dirty job but in the end was very average.

Where is all your tough bruise-free talk now? He was just a journey-man coach taking us no-where

I don't feel sorry for Bails at all...i am just stating some background that people like to forget...as a senior coach he couldn't get out of 3rd gear...so he had to go..

But i still regard him very highly as an assistant coach....He has got Balls & that must be admired.

Yes except the MFC 2008 gig was probably the least prestigious gig apart from the last Fitzroy tenure.

We had no money & no home at that stage.

You and I both know that there were several worthwhile suitors - the Club got it wrong with Bailey as a strategist, but got it right as a media performer and a good citizen.

He didn't do it for free WYL. He would have recieved well over one million dollars in his time at Melbourne, and there are plenty of qualified coaches that would have taken the job.

Yes & thank God it was Bails....imagine if Sheeds had been given the job....Our current list would be a complete shambles by now....Sheeds would have bought up on rejects for his gains...Bails put the club first.

I don't feel sorry for Bails at all...i am just stating some background that people like to forget...as a senior coach he couldn't get out of 3rd gear...so he had to go..

But i still regard him very highly as an assistant coach....He has got Balls & that must be admired.

now you are changing the context. We were not discussing his role as an assistant coach. Totally different kettle of fish

anyway, I sincerely wish him all the best in Adelaide as an assistant coach

Yes & thank God it was Bails....imagine if Sheeds had been given the job....Our current list would be a complete shambles by now....Sheeds would have bought up on rejects for his gains...Bails put the club first.

I agree Sheedy would have probably been worse for our club given where we were at the time

Its interesting reading old threads but Sheedy seemed to be the preferred choice on demonland and demonolgy at the time! A bullet dodged I think.

but that's just hypothetical and in the end Bailey's abilities are in the eye of the beholder

In fact all of our coaches get recycled in some shape or form.

Bailey at the Crows, Riley at Carlton, Daniher at WCE, Hutchison at the Tigers and Balme at the Cats. Northey got gigs after us and Barassi went to the Swans.

Riley was so in demand, he even got a job at Carlton whilst coaching for the Dees!

#neverforget

I agree Sheedy would have probably been worse for our club given where we were at the time

Its interesting reading old threads but Sheedy seemed to be the preferred choice on demonland and demonolgy at the time! A bullet dodged I think.

but that's just hypothetical and in the end Bailey's abilities are in the eye of the beholder

Agree with your comments right through this thread DC

After 3.8 years he lead us to a 186 point slaughter.

He was so good at his job he got flung.

I have seldom seen such revisionism on demonland.

The guy was an average coach at best.

The way he got rid of Jnr was an excellent example of his ability.

Time will tell if the young players are as good as some suggest.

But please he was not the saviour of the MFC.

You do not understand what went on during the years 2008-2010 do you.

The Job Bailey did was to the letter from the Board....Yes 2011 did not go to plan, but as a teacher of Raw kids, Bails did a fine job.

I have to wonder if you actually understand them.

He did do the Board's bidding to the letter and in 2011 they sacked him with a late night phone call after both Lyon and Schwab had publicly criticised him.

I cant see Bailey wanting to return nor any of the current Board or admin wanting him back.

It is really odd you think he will return. Extremely odd but in character.

He did do the Board's bidding to the letter and in 2011 they sacked him with a late night phone call after both Lyon and Schwab had publicly criticised him.

I cant see Bailey wanting to return nor any of the current Board or admin wanting him back.

I serious doubt the board wanted him to produce a side that got done by 186 points after a number of high margin losses.

How nice of you to return Rhino.I understand very well what happened....After a 31 goal loss, yes he was sacked...Had to be done..His senior coaching abilities had plateaued.

The right course was taken, Bailey would return in a few years in an assistant capacity if offered....He was very careful to not burn any of his bridges in public.

Fremantle on the other hand.....

How nice of you to return Rhino.I understand very well what happened....After a 31 goal loss, yes he was sacked...Had to be done..His senior coaching abilities had plateaued.

The right course was taken, Bailey would return in a few years in an assistant capacity if offered....He was very careful to not burn any of his bridges in public.

Fremantle on the other hand.....

I'd hardly call a 31 goal loss as plateauing......but I think I know what you meant :)