Ross Lyon

Grandson of a gun

Guest Jack Donaghy

Seriously, who is going to want to go and work for Lyon as an assistant after such a dog act?

The existing Freo assistants probably wouldn't be too please with the rude shock they've just experienced.

If they don't want to stick around, or he wants to bring his own staff, I doubt he'll have assistant coaches beating his door down.

And it's already been shown that he demands a lot and burns them out quickly.

He seems to burn a lot of things, old Ross Lyon... I think this may be another case of MFC dodging a potential bullet.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Football clubs scrap heap coaches without a blink of the eye.

Malcolm Blight at StKilda ...bang...gone......

Now it may be unsavoury the way it has reportedly gone down with Ross Lyon and StKilda and Harvey and Freo but does anyone see the irony of the situation.

Ross - how dare you put your interests before the club and walking out on StKilda - no loyalty ..no integrity

Freo - how dare you put the clubs interest before the coach - sacking your coach without any consideration for him - heartless and ruthless.

So is the coach wrong at StKilda or the club wrong at Freo ?

And before I get yelled down - it could have been handled infinitely better.

I'm sure I heard/read somewhere that the Saints had recently recruited someone from the Hawks, without the knowledge of Lyon, and gave him a role with more authority than Lyon.

It was Chris Pelchen.Article Here

That is correct. Pulled a bit of weight at the Hawks in recruiting and may have put a few noses out of joint upon arrival at Saints.

Clearly Fremantle board were impressed with R.Lyon when the Saints completely outplayed Fremantle at Etihad 6 weeks ago and when St.Kilda tore them a new one back in Round 10 at Paterson's. Probably equally disappointed in M.Harvey too......

Grant Thomas is saying that the St. Kilda board bungled the negotiations with Lyon and, as a result, lost him but my mail is that Lyon has wanted out for some time. It must have been a frustration coaching at a club that, it is said, stuffed up on Ben Cousins and then Luke Ball, went through the embarrassment of Andrew Lovett, the continued fall out from the Montagna/Milne saga, dikileaks and the final straw of player misconduct on the pre season trip to New Zealand. For a professional coach to get his side to three grand finals and genuine contention to win two premierships was an outstanding feat. To make it all the way to the finals this year with a team so lacking in depth was also a fantastic achievement.

Good summary. The off field disasters one after the other must have taken their toll. Lyon took them so close and you wonder the impact of all these circus acts.

Good summary. The off field disasters one after the other must have taken their toll. Lyon took them so close and you wonder the impact of all these circus acts.

Indeed. He would have been taking on additional one-on-one management with several players in the last 10 months just for support and getting their heads right. Plenty of grey hairs and loss of hair as a result.

Did Hutchy get an interview from Lyon at the airport? Did he say he was "just going to Fremantle for a look ... nothing decided yet"?

Haha...I wonder if Ross has made a video wearing Freo colours and talking about his love of playing Fifa and wearing the same speedos to coach each match...

Pretty sure the first thing he'll do when he gets there, before he even comes to a decision, is to make the promo video introducing himself to Fremantle members. It'll be dated yesterday.

Gold :)

Haha...I wonder if Ross has made a video wearing Freo colours and talking about his love of playing Fifa and wearing the same speedos to coach each match...

Staying with the light hearted banter...

But has anyone yet imagined the thought of Ross Lyon dressed in purple walking on/off the ground with his swagger ?

That will keep the purple haze on their toes.

Don't feel too sorry for St Kilda. R Lyon has just done to them what they did to Grant Thomas and Malcolm Blight before him. And, I suspect the change in coach may well be just what they need anyway. It's not dissimilar to Geelong's situation where the coach moved on and the playing list seems revitalised.

The losers in this are clearly Mark Harvey and potentially Freo and R Lyon if it all turns pear-shaped. Of course, if Freo now wins a premiership under this new arrangement they'll be happy and so will the coach. But Lyon will need to make it work, because if it doesn't it will be his last chance.

That has completely blindsided me, I did not see that coming in any way. Freo were always a side I had no particular feeling about, but I would love to see them fall flat on their arse after this. Would love to see Harvey land the Saints job and do a job on Freo next season.

Quote from Kim Duthie

Due to the pressure i'm facing on a day to day basis in Melbourne, I have decided to move to the other side of the country. I hope to find a new team to follow,I do love purple.

PS this is the one time I am not Lyon.

Do you follow her or something ?

Funny how all moralisitc we all get. If this had been Melbourne landing the coup of the year would we be happy....or angry. Im betting I know which Id side on.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.