END GAME

Demonland

Umpiring was frustrating, but there was enough in this game for me to get some enjoyment out of watching.

Some of our players showed something. Too few unfortunately.

So basically like most of our matches this year hey!!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still can't see what was positive about this. Under Viney we won one game - a fairly uninspiring effort against GC. We managed to lose to the worst team in the comp and get beaten by Richmond. We'd have been better off letting Bails see out the year and then making a considered judgement rather than the knee jerk stuff that went on after the Geelong debacle. I know most here won't agree with this but I am finding it hard to see what was gained over the past 5 weeks other than confirmation that Viney won't be the next coach.

Understand what you are saying but in defence of Viney he was never going to do too much in 5 weeks as the game plan and i use the term very losely which DB had installed in the players will take time to get out of their system.

With a new coach comes new expectation and hope. Bring it on.

Some woeful kicking at goal early cost us the opportunity to take control of the match and subdue Port. The Power were always going to be a chance with a crowd like that and we kept them in it with our kicking.

Don't like putting the umpires in the frame but they were horrendous today. Counted at least 4 occasions where poor decisions on their behalf directly led to a Port goal. Extremely poor umpiring decisions in critical areas of the ground, coupled with our goal kicking cost us.

Was generally pleased with most of our groups performances today based on their intensity at the contest and their general 'in play' skills. Even Morton showed some good signs early, however mentally subbed himself off again in usual fashion later.

I think I speak for everyone when I say it was a year to forget. I currently hold little to no expectations for next year, as I don't wish to have my hopes and dreams shattered like they were this year. I am just glad the footy season is now over for me and them. I'm sure by the beginning of the 2012 my excitement will again reappear albeit in a more tempered state. There are events in the coming weeks however that will definitely go a long way in shaping this clubs fortunes for next year and probably every Melbourne supporters sanity.

Nor do I; just like the start of this year I couldn't see where we were going to improve and I can't see it next year either. It's about time some of us woke to the fact our kids are just not that good.

We've recruited a lot of semi skilled inside players but no highly skilled outside mids, in fact not even just "skilled" outside mids. It's not just the coach it's the players.

Our midfield must be killing Jamar, he must moan every time we turn over one of his taps to advantage. No more forwards, there's no point if we don't have anyone to kick it to them.

Next year I can see us dropping further off the pace and Brisbane and Gold Coast will pass us leaving GW$cully and Port, maybe.

So basically like most of our matches this year hey!!

Yes exactly. Melbourne has done this to us supporters for years - given us a wiff of opportunity early - then it turns into the stench of s*** by end of season. I really despair of ever experiencing the sweet smell of success.

I want a Boot Camp style Pre season in readiness for next year.

This club is still soft as butter on & off field.. Losing to Port Adelaide this year i will just not accept.

i just paid this club over a Grand for next year....i want value for money, and no more [censored] poor excuses.

Anyone see the '71 GF on at midday today??

Hawthorn have still got that killer instinct 40 years later.

What happened to ours??

If we had won today we would have finished ninth and gotten our first pick in the draft at number 20. By losing today we have pick 12. So good work Cale Morton, Colin Garland for gifting two goals in the last few minutes, Jack Fitzpatrick and Sam Blease for two of the worst performances you will ever see in your life and of course, Brad 'Captain's goal' Green

good riddance 2010

If we had won today we would have finished ninth and gotten our first pick in the draft at number 20. By losing today we have pick 12. So good work Cale Morton, Colin Garland for gifting two goals in the last few minutes, Jack Fitzpatrick and Sam Blease for two of the worst performances you will ever see in your life and of course, Brad 'Captain's goal' Green

good riddance 2010

2011....wacko.gif

Another pre season for our young players to build size and endurance + a new coach with a contemporary defensive based game plan who can teach out players the structures and setups of the modern game...

Did you omit the LOL after your post? Otherwise it's the same sentiments that come up year after year. Jesus, how long since our last flag?

good riddance 2010

Another one brought to you by Demonland Groupthink.

Guest Gareth Keenan

good riddance 2010

2010..??

2010 was a better year...

Not trying to compare, but Geelong experienced a similarly disappointing 2006, after the promise of 2005.

They went on to have a thorough review of their football department, to ensure it was working efficiently, and the rest is history.

I take solace in that we have done the bulk of a rebuild and now are moving onto the next phase.

The umpiring was worse the the Bulldogs game in 1997 where Stynes got pinged and umpire Caulfield handed the Dogs a win. It was just that bad. So very one-sided.

The umpires were clearly swept up in the atmosphere. They simply cannot be allowed to umpire the finals.

You sack a coach and you expect to see a refocus of effort Christ even Adelaide

Showed something when they did away with Craig to dish up one win from five goes to

The heart of our issues both as a club as a supporter base and why for 50 years we have had

Absolutely no success.

We are comfortable in mediocrity and we accept non commitment and we lack the courage to rectify our own insipidness.

We had ultimate motivation this year it was our year to finally be taken seriously and earn some respect amongst the football

Community after 24 weeks we are a laughing stock loosing to Geelong in the most disgusting display possible. Today we loose

To a rabble we are truly rudderless we stand for nothing we are once again the blight and butt of the joke.

Where to from here.

All apologists must seek exits at haste the club is not an oasis for prolonged underperformance. This simply can't go on in this state.

On field must reflect off field progress and we must return to our rightful place.

I'll not abide our players having an inability to compete in a contest.

Our players lack any resolve

Let it be known supporters have ultimate resolve and will no longer accept be embarrassed.

Edited by Diablo Deemon

I want a Boot Camp style Pre season in readiness for next year.

This club is still soft as butter on & off field.. Losing to Port Adelaide this year i will just not accept.

i just paid this club over a Grand for next year....i want value for money, and no more [censored] poor excuses.

Anyone see the '71 GF on at midday today??

Hawthorn have still got that killer instinct 40 years later.

What happened to ours??

I watched this as well.

My bro knows an ex player who played with the MFC in the early 70's. He asked him about what was missing back then at our club. Like why couldn't we match it with the better clubs in the early 70's like the Hawks, Richmond and Carlton.

This bloke said, we just didn't have the mongrel/big brutish players to stand up against the oppositions meanest and nastiest players. We had some talent in Wells, Alves etc but not the grunt.

I guess that's why the club decided to recruit Carl in 1973 and add some mongrel.

Unfortunately that didn't work out too well either lol.

But in many ways this is what's missing from this team and has over recent decades since the Northey years. There's just not enough big tough blokes in our team with enough talent to go with them to have an impact when the game's in the balance. We just don't stand up under any amount of physical/close checking pressure. Even against below average teams like Port.

I fear we're going to be left way behind most teams (other than GWS in its first 2 years or so) going forward from here, given all the recruiting of skinny boys in the last 3 years, Tapscott and Howe excluded. Tapscott having some grunt and an AFL bod, and Howe (although skinny) a real goer who can take a mark and knows where the goals are and is willing to work his butt off when he doesn't have it.

We also don't have a true forward who can take occasional contested pack marks throughout the game and kick goals consistently from inside or around 50. Especially given the way we bomb the ball in in straight lines most of the time. It mostly just rebounds straight out as we have no true crumbers/readers off the packs either.

And then there's our midfield. Or should i call it our mildfield. Our basic skills around clearances under pressure (handballing to player's feet, at their heads at a million miles an hour or over their heads etc) is also woeful. And our decision making even IF we manage a clearance, is pretty p&@s poor the majority of the time.

I can't see us improving much next year regardless of who the coach is.

Maybe 2013 there might be some light finally but only IF we get it right coach and FD wise in 2012.

My expectations for next year are zilch i'm afraid. This club has truly lost its way and its mojo for now. I'll believe any significant turnaround.....when i see it happen. And that means starting to win games away from home and against quality opposition and starting to win more of the close ones....period. Not just winning games we're expected to win at the G.

Yet another year to forget.

I watched this as well.

My bro knows an ex player who played with the MFC in the early 70's. He asked him about what was missing back then at our club. Like why couldn't we match it with the better clubs in the early 70's like the Hawks, Richmond and Carlton.

This bloke said, we just didn't have the mongrel/big brutish players to stand up against the oppositions meanest and nastiest players. We had some talent in Wells, Alves etc but not the grunt.

I guess that's why the club decided to recruit Carl in 1973 and add some mongrel.

Unfortunately that didn't work out too well either lol.

But in many ways this is what's missing from this team and has over recent decades since the Northey years. There's just not enough big tough blokes in our team with enough talent to go with them to have an impact when the game's in the balance. We just don't stand up under any amount of physical/close checking pressure. Even against below average teams like Port.

I fear we're going to be left way behind most teams (other than GWS in its first 2 years or so) going forward from here, given all the recruiting of skinny boys in the last 3 years, Tapscott and Howe excluded. Tapscott having some grunt and an AFL bod, and Howe (although skinny) a real goer who can take a mark and knows where the goals are and is willing to work his butt off when he doesn't have it.

We also don't have a true forward who can take occasional contested pack marks throughout the game and kick goals consistently from inside or around 50. Especially given the way we bomb the ball in in straight lines most of the time. It mostly just rebounds straight out as we have no true crumbers/readers off the packs either.

And then there's our midfield. Or should i call it our mildfield. Our basic skills around clearances under pressure (handballing to player's feet, at their heads at a million miles an hour or over their heads etc) is also woeful. And our decision making even IF we manage a clearance, is pretty p&@s poor the majority of the time.

I can't see us improving much next year regardless of who the coach is.

Maybe 2013 there might be some light finally but only IF we get it right coach and FD wise in 2012.

My expectations for next year are zilch i'm afraid. This club has truly lost its way and its mojo for now. I'll believe any significant turnaround.....when i see it happen. And that means starting to win games away from home and against quality opposition and starting to win more of the close ones....period. Not just winning games we're expected to win at the G.

Yet another year to forget.

There is a lot of truth in what you say there and therein lies the problem. We have on the odd occasion gone out and recruited some tough guy like Big Carl, Byron, Grinter etc but all that did was give the other 21 or whatever the number of players, the comfort that they had a protector. You can't just have one player that throws his weight around you need all the players capable of playing hard; there is no room in the modern game for soft players. It may be ok in home and away but in finals soft players will be found out pretty quickly.

We are unique at Melbourne, usually you get "soft skilled players", but we seem to find softies that haven't even got high skill levels. Then you have our hard nuts and they don't have the skill levels or the football brain either.

We have recruited some of the greatest over rated duds in the competition and we are the ones who over rate them the most.

Did watts even play today? His form has been down last few weeks

Yes, he played :rolleyes: Didnt seem used very well at all. His off day certainly not all his own doing.

Today's game was lost at the selection table, to many kids. Thank goodness the season is over and don't have to look at that rubbish again for 6 months.

Watts back to 2010 form makes me really sad...

Ring the changes at our club in ALL areas. GRRR...

To be honest, the umpiring didn't strike me as being too one-sided today. We've had it worse.

Having said that, can someone explain why Motlop wasn't pinged for holding when he took about 12 steps, tried to balk two players and then lost the ball in the tackle?