• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Tom Scully in September ...

Grandson of a gun

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FFS stiker shuddup.........they'll take you away and interrogate ya till ya spill the beans.....lol

couldn't agree more! i understand it's a tough decision but he has had all year to think about it!

i cannot believe there was no announcement/decision this week, its become a massive joke now.

.... and having delayed all this time - how can he credibly make a decision without knowing who Melbourne's coach is going to be?

This massive joke might just become a farce.........

.... and having delayed all this time - how can he credibly make a decision without knowing who Melbourne's coach is going to be?

I think you are on the money here...Tom is contracted till the end of October, so why wouldn't he wait till a coach is announced. Could make a massive difference to his outcome.

Considering GWS are going to struggle to win anything for at least 2 years. Regardless of the huge offer.

Decisions like this one need time to make you don't rush into them. Just because he hasn't decided to your timetable doesn't make it a joke/farce it just means he is giving it due process.

Another point about Journo's as other people have written because they get paid to write doesn't mean they are the fountain of knowledge. Like all of us they are human and they get it wrong, what peeves me off is because TS and Management are ensuring that they weigh things up properly and are not given anything away till they come to a decision. Journo's just make $h1t up! or speculate unfortunately there speculation like a lot of people goes along the lines of. Well gee its a lot of money what would I do?...oh then he must be going..yeah I 'll write that ...and because I can't be certain I will couch it in vagueness so I have an out...yeah that looks good...kach$ng!

Okay it's a bit of a stretch but right now I hate all sports writers.

This was the last thing I had any faith in that was written by a sports journo on this subject. My link

I've had no approaches from GWS: Scully

By Matt Burgan9:43 AM Fri 04 Mar, 2011

TOM SCULLY says he has had no approaches from GWS.

Scully fronted a packed media conference at AAMI Park on Friday morning and answered plenty of questions regarding his future.

He said adamantly he wants to be a one-club player.

“[it's] absolutely important. I’d love to end my career and say that I was a one-club player and I anticipate that’ll be the case," Scully said.

"The Melbourne footy club has given me a great opportunity and I’m very thankful that I’m in the position that I am.

"I wake up in the morning and I come to work and I love what I do. I’m just really looking forward to playing footy this year as well.

Scully said he “loves the club and all of my teammates”.

He said he was firmly focused on the season ahead and would let his management and Melbourne sort out his contract situation.

“I’m focused and driven about playing footy,” Scully said.

Scully said his intent for 2011 is be "focused and driven on playing footy".

“The odds are that there are going to be players from all other clubs who fall out of contract and come under this speculation, so there’s not much you can do about it," he said.

"I’ll keep saying that I’m playing footy and let the club and my management deal with that and I’ll put full trust and confidence that they’ll do that in due course.”

He said the reason he has put off his contract negotiations is because it was agreed upon with his management last year.|

“Well in August last year, my management and I decided that I just wanted to play out my full two years at the club and just see how it goes," Scully said.

"I’m half-way through my first contract, so again it’s not a focus of mine - I’ll leave that to my management and the club to sort out.

"Again, I’ve confidence that they’ll work through that and get the best outcome for everyone.”

melbournefc.com.au

This was the last thing I had any faith in that was written by a sports journo on this subject. My link

I've had no approaches from GWS: Scully

By Matt Burgan9:43 AM Fri 04 Mar, 2011

TOM SCULLY says he has had no approaches from GWS.

Do you know what that sounds like?

My link

I did not have sex with that woman

By Matt Gurban9:43 AM Fri 04 Mar, 1999

BILL CLINTON says he has had no approaches from Monica Lewinsky.

I wonder if Tom Scully realises the division he has caused within the Melbourne supporter group and the unnecessary distraction this ridiculous saga has become .

The Club is always bigger than the individual and Tom Scully should feel quite embarrassed about putting the Club and its 37,000 odd members through this soap opera - regardless of whether he stays or not .

I know he and his management kept saying they wanted to wait until the end of the season but the whole climate of the situation changed early in the season and with that , he and his management should have changed their stance to at least hose down all the speculation .

It seems that Melbourne made him a really good offer a little while ago and all things considered he should have jumped at it . Unless of course there is an offer too good to refuse from GWS .

As an aside , Collingwood's Thomas didn't re-sign until late in the year but there wasn't any circus surrounding him or his management .

If Tom does stay he should have signed on months ago and unless he becomes an out and out star he may be forever remembered the wrong way .

And if he goes most of us ( if not all ) will feel betrayed . Either way he's put an enormous amount of pressure on himself - he could be another John Pitura .

I wonder if Tom Scully realises the division he has caused within the Melbourne supporter group and the unnecessary distraction this ridiculous saga has become .

The Club is always bigger than the individual and Tom Scully should feel quite embarrassed about putting the Club and its 37,000 odd members through this soap opera - regardless of whether he stays or not .

I know he and his management kept saying they wanted to wait until the end of the season but the whole climate of the situation changed early in the season and with that , he and his management should have changed their stance to at least hose down all the speculation .

It seems that Melbourne made him a really good offer a little while ago and all things considered he should have jumped at it . Unless of course there is an offer too good to refuse from GWS .

As an aside , Collingwood's Thomas didn't re-sign until late in the year but there wasn't any circus surrounding him or his management .

If Tom does stay he should have signed on months ago and unless he becomes an out and out star he may be forever remembered the wrong way .

And if he goes most of us ( if not all ) will feel betrayed . Either way he's put an enormous amount of pressure on himself - he could be another John Pitura .

So if there is a circus surrounding a monumental decision in a young mans (or woman) life, they should bow to the pressure?

He is doing what he said he would do and if it were me (well, I would pay to play...) I wouldn't go back on my intentions because Ralph calls me a Traitor and the whole footy media thinks I am a liar.

So if there is a circus surrounding a monumental decision in a young mans (or woman) life, they should bow to the pressure?

He is doing what he said he would do and if it were me (well, I would pay to play...) I wouldn't go back on my intentions because Ralph calls me a Traitor and the whole footy media thinks I am a liar.

Excuse me?

There is one important factor you are not taking into consideration....That is, we are at present looking to fill the coaching position...A very important coach will be the next one & i think Tom knows it. He has to weigh that up against some very serious coin...

i actually like that he has not said anything yet....shows he does have feelings for our club i would say.

Now of course it could all change next week, but i think he is waiting on a coaching decision.

There is one important factor you are not taking into consideration....That is, we are at present looking to fill the coaching position...A very important coach will be the next one & i think Tom knows it. He has to weigh that up against some very serious coin...

i actually like that he has not said anything yet....shows he does have feelings for our club i would say.

Now of course it could all change next week, but i think he is waiting on a coaching decision.

Yeah good point re the new coach ( if true ) but I don't buy it - as Paul Newman once said "If you've got steak at home why go out for hamburger" - perhaps Tom thinks we're a quarter pounder .

Yeah good point re the new coach ( if true ) but I don't buy it - as Paul Newman once said "If you've got steak at home why go out for hamburger" - perhaps Tom thinks we're a quarter pounder .

If Mick Malthouse or Ross Lyon are in charge the MFC will be a very different place to what it is now. Compare that to what GWS will be.

Money doesn't sweeten everything. I know that Paul Newman quote, & right now we do not have steak.....we are at the market buying it.

If Mick Malthouse or Ross Lyon are in charge the MFC will be a very different place to what it is now. Compare that to what GWS will be.

Money doesn't sweeten everything. I know that Paul Newman quote, & right now we do not have steak.....we are at the market buying it.

The aspect of this whole saga that concerned a lot of people the most was how Tom's management had closed the door on all negotiations until the end of the season - why ? What if we had offered Tom a huge long term contract the day after their statement ? They made it quite clear there and then - end of season - that's it . His management shut the door in a abrupt and callous way that put the Club on the back foot and probably rightfully ticked off - very clever way of moving their client on - The key factor here is that if you are a player agent you keep the door open - not shut .

someone shoot me in the head

Has anyone else twigged that he's probably waiting til tomorrow to announce his decision for one of the two following two reasons:

1. the symbolism of the date and to substitute its former significance in the public mind as one to be associated with his momentous proclamation

and indeed the effects may in time prove such replacement justified (you know - the pillars of the AFL business structure shaken to the core, that sort of thing)

(or in the alternative)

2. knowing all eyes will be cast elsewhere his pronouncement will pass pretty much unnoticed and slip beneath such radar as is not focused on the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave

this will possibly be my last contribution on this matter - I'm considering going back on the pills my doctor gave me

Having an offer from MFC with no coach signed would not exactly be appertising for Tom nor would it be if we appointed a first year untried coach. It would be 4 to 6 before the group showed signs of improvement if any. With a reported 5-6million gorillas on the table I'd be taking the money and an opportunity to gain some knowledge from one of the games greats. Saying that if St Kilda loses tonight and MFC sign Ross Lyon, TS stays!

At the very same time that football world was watching Geelong demolish Hawthorn to reach the Preliminary Final in a fortnight's time, former Cat Gary Ablett Junior received a standing ovation to receive the Club Champion award (named after ?) at the club whose first proud achievement has been to win the 2011 AFL wooden spoon.

If, by some miraculous turn of events, he decides to stay; I think he will have to pay to win back the respect and repay the faith of EVERY stakeholder at the club, a la: "ok MFC, you guys have had faith in me, I have stuffed you around all season. This decision probably has weighed on the playing group in matches throughout 2011. No one thinks I am worth what I have been offered, even the smaller offer from you. But, as an olive branch, I will accept from the MFC a contract reduced to two thirds of what you offered to help win back some good will with fans and repay your faith and patience."

That will go a long way to winning back fans. Accepting our offer as it allegedly stands (and as remote a chance that is) will cause much angst from fans toward him AND the club.

Edited by caddypgt

If, by some miraculous turn of events, he decides to stay; I think he will have to pay to win back the respect and repay the faith of EVERY stakeholder at the club, a la: "ok MFC, you guys have had faith in me, I have stuffed you around all season. This decision probably has weighed on the playing group in matches throughout 2011. No one thinks I am worth what I have been offered, even the smaller offer from you. But, as an olive branch, I will accept from the MFC a contract reduced to two thirds of what you offered to help win back some good will with fans and repay your faith and patience."

That will go a long way to winning back fans. Accepting our offer as it allegedly stands (and as remote a chance that is) will cause much angst from fans toward him AND the club.

The world doesn't work that way.

Is the consensus view that the only thread holding Tom back from taking the GWS cash is the prospect of the MFC getting an A-grade experienced coach?

Assuming Tom wants an experienced coach, the choices and timings are:

• Ross Lyon - next week (if Saints lose)
  • Mark Thompson - next week (if Dons lose)
  • Mick Malthouse - in at least a couple of weeks...

Would the TS decision be delayed a month if it's MM?

Fair enough for Tom to want to know before he signs on...