• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Tom Scully in September ...

Grandson of a gun

New month.

New thread.

Season ending for MFC in a few days.

Announcement made in a few more.....

I trust his word until someone provides proof otherwise.

And hopefully that truth is spoken soon...

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he goes, I reckon it's a huge slap in the face to Jimmy and the MFC especially after they showed some faith and took him at no.1 and gave him RB's digits! I've have taken him on his word and believe he will deal with his contract at seasons end. I also believe he will stay despite popular belief and repay the faith.

Go Dees!

Settles in with a choc top , pop corn and jumbo drink ( could be a whiles still!! ) :unsure:

I truly hope he sticks around and repays the club.....2011 was a stinker year for him and he needs to prove hisw worth.

I hope we know an answer by next week....the Club must know...

With a new Coach will Tom Stick around?? I wonder if G Lyon has been over for that Cuppa with the family yet??

If the club calls a press conference early next week then Í'd expect he is gone. Case of thanks but the monies to good, want to take a new challenge etc and I think it's in the best interests to advise MFC as soon as possible so both parties can move on.

If stretches out beyond that I think it's just a matter of sorting out clauses in the contract the club has offered him. Just MHO but time will tell, all will be revealed and the whole saga can be put to rest!

Big statement - depends on several unknowns

- How much we have to pay him ahead of others more deserving

- Whether he reaches his potential

- Whether he stays fit enough to deliver on his potential year on year

- What compensation we would receive if he left

- How many players we have to sacrifice because of the salary cap pressures he creates

Answer 'Not much';'Easily'; 'No problem '; 'Not much'; 'Nobody of note' - to these questions and I'll agree with you!!

Big statement - depends on several unknowns

- How much we have to pay him ahead of others more deserving

- Whether he reaches his potential

- Whether he stays fit enough to deliver on his potential year on year

- What compensation we would receive if he left

- How many players we have to sacrifice because of the salary cap pressures he creates

Answer 'Not much';'Easily'; 'No problem '; 'Not much'; 'Nobody of note' - to these questions and I'll agree with you!!

To win flags you have to have star players and in particular mids.

We have a potential one in Tom Scully.

Until we don't.

But I have a spare 5 minutes...

1. Pay Issues

Done to death. He will get paid more than he would normally, boo hoo. The new CBA will easily eat up whatever increase in pay we will 'waste' on Tom.

2. Reaching Potential

Subjective. I think so. Move on.

3. Stays Fit

No-one can know this.

4. Compensation

If he leaves we will get a pick right after our pick and an end of first round pick. in 2012 it will be around the 12 and 20 mark. That is not sufficient for a recent number 1 draft pick. Hell, we wouldn't even trade Pick 2 for Port's 8 and 9 when we got Trengove. Premium picks is where the talent is at.

5. Salary Cap Pressure Due to Inflated Scully Contract

Huh? He will be on $600k for 5 years... Probably frontended. Little problem there.

Done, but I don't expect you to agree with me.

We all have our opinions - mine is that you have to scrape and claw to keep star talent at your club.

I don't want to see him go.

I honestly hope he leaves now. I can only see negatives in signing up someone so young (and overrated going by 2011 form) at 5-600k per year. While I'd love to keep him at 2-300k, its best for the MFC that he leaves, and we take the picks.

How is that?

We are already frontloading contracts to meet the salary cap.

We will most likely do the same with Tom. We have flexibility and we will have more room due to the CBA - I really don't think his inflated wage is going to be as much of a hindrance as many believe.

How is that?

We are already frontloading contracts to meet the salary cap.

We will most likely do the same with Tom. We have flexibility and we will have more room due to the CBA - I really don't think his inflated wage is going to be as much of a hindrance as many believe.

Frontloading will only get a club so far, and is only useful in the short term. We have taken advantage of it because we were paying 92.5% of the cap. In the coming years, that flexibility evaporates.

As for wage inflation, I completely disagree. I think it is a much bigger problem than many believe, especially where the source is a player who is being paid WELL above their current worth. In addition, what do you think happens if we are to become a successful side in the coming years? I doubt anyone at Geelong was on 600k+ in the last few years, and I could probably name 10 Geelong players better than Scully.

Frontloading will only get a club so far, and is only useful in the short term. We have taken advantage of it because we were paying 92.5% of the cap. In the coming years, that flexibility evaporates.

As for wage inflation, I completely disagree. I think it is a much bigger problem than many believe, especially where the source is a player who is being paid WELL above their current worth. In addition, what do you think happens if we are to become a successful side in the coming years? I doubt anyone at Geelong was on 600k+ in the last few years, and I could probably name 10 Geelong players better than Scully.

Yes these 2 new PARASITE CLUBS have come along at a very bad time for us, but then again when would it ever be good?

We will not be the only club having long sleepless nights over summer, balancing the salary cap- What a F....job that would be!!!

Yes these 2 new PARASITE CLUBS have come along at a very bad time for us, but then again when would it ever be good?

We will not be the only club having long sleepless nights over summer, balancing the salary cap- What a F....job that would be!!!

Really? Better now than 2007. We've at least had the chance to bottom out, and Clubs trying to do so now will find it more difficult due to the compromised nature of the draft etc.

By the way, I really don't get how these Scully threads get so big. I don't read them much, but it seems like they're maintained by the same core group of Scully-thread posters posting the same stuff over and over. Surely it gets tiresome? Anyhow, each to their own :P

I'll get interested in the discussion once there's a decision.

Wouldn't it have been simpler just to clone the August thread and re-title it?... that would have saved everyone the trouble of having to retype the same comments yet again.

Wouldn't it have been simpler just to clone the August thread and re-title it?... that would have saved everyone the trouble of having to retype the same comments yet again.

wouldn't it be easier to close all Scully threads until someboby really knows his intention, because until then it is just all dribble being spoken on the topic :unsure:

wouldn't it be easier to close all Scully threads until someboby really knows his intention, because until then it is just all dribble being spoken on the topic :unsure:

The mods already tried that earlier in the year but it just resulted in the hijacking of other threads.

One central thread was the next best solution.

The mods already tried that earlier in the year but it just resulted in the hijacking of other threads.

One central thread was the next best solution.

Nah - the best solution was Scully sign up again in March hence saving us all this aggravation. Ahhh...life before ulcers.

I repeat all I have said, not that I can remember now.

Why would it be announced quickly? If he was waiting until the end of the season he might be interested in the collective pay deal and who our new coach will be (and we all know that will not be announced until after the GF).

I repeat all I have said, not that I can remember now.

Why would it be announced quickly? If he was waiting until the end of the season he might be interested in the collective pay deal and who our new coach will be (and we all know that will not be announced until after the GF).

or maybe he is already agreed to stay with dees but decided to talk contracts after season?

Why do you think demons administration perfectly fine with waiting until end of the season.

Edited by Dees

If he goes, I reckon it's a huge slap in the face to Jimmy and the MFC especially after they showed some faith and took him at no.1 and gave him RB's digits! I've have taken him on his word and believe he will deal with his contract at seasons end. I also believe he will stay despite popular belief and repay the faith.

Go Dees!

I have to disagree with this. These are unprecedented times. The fact a team can offer Scully the sort of money rumoured, as well as the facilites etc that GWS has to offer (I saw a story on them reently and they are awesome) - it's never happened before and probably won't for another 20 years.

No one predicted it or worried about it enough, otherwise the clubs would have tried to stop the poaching of young players. The MFC is really nothing but victims of unusual times if we lose him, BUT I have a feeling we might be better off if we do. I think 2 first round picks to be used at a time of our chosing (2012 draft already being labelled a SUPER draft) could be more valuable to us that keeping Scully (yes I have my doubts on his potential). Time will tell on that one I guess.

Stay or go...its about Scully on Scully.. ( as entitled to ) Its not a reflection on the club.

or maybe he is already agreed to stay with dees but decided to talk contracts after season?

Why do you think demons administration perfectly fine with waiting until end of the season.

true, one thing is for sure no one here knows.

Wow... looks like Gazza has done alright, hope The Sculldog doesn't see this!!

http://www.heraldsun...x-1226126786767

Never travelled down the Great Western Hwy ?? :rolleyes: