Tom Scully in September ...

Grandson of a gun

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair points.

1/ Could be argued that the crowd turn up because it is a big game. Chicken and egg, it's only my opinion, no facts to back it up.

2/ They will struggle for the first couple of years in comparison to Gold Coast, but I actually think that GWS are smart going after younger players. Gold Coast will not be in a position to challenge for a flag for 3-4 years, at that stage Ablett, Bock, Brown and Brennen will be in their 30's, Risca will be 28. The players GWS are recruiting will be peaking at the right time. The AFL are giving GWS concessions over two years, so they should be able to draft a least as good as Gold Coast.

3/ I read some info and seen them driving past. With a blank cheque from the AFL they will be very good.

4/ Maybe because they are stuck inside in the freezing cold 100 km from a decent beach

5/ The difference between the two amounts could mean setting himself up in a nice house with some investments, or never having to work again.

1/ Players often talk about the big game occasion, crowd noise spurring them on etc. How many times have we seen a team come from behind after the crowd getting involved. I'm sure it plays some part. Look at Essendon the other week against Port, Melbourne a few years ago against Freo in that massive comeback, the crowd noise was amazing and you could see it lift the players

2/ they'll be shell shocked after getting beaten by 100+ points every week, not all will turn out to be good / great, some will leave to other clubs. It ain't as simple as saying they'll win flags

3/ Ours are regarded as some of the best in the comp

4/ or maybe because they have no interest ????????

5/ Not really, $600k a year for 5 years goes a long way to setting yourself up if managed well. Plus, future earning potential in Vic as a football surely is higher than in NSW after football.

Yes but some of the early information has proven to be true, hasn't it?

Perhaps they weren't stabs in the dark.

No, who's seen the contract Scully has been offered? Who's seen the $5m figure over 5 years?

No one

all we hear is "....tom scully has REPORTEDLY been offered $5m over 5 years"

What's the chance that Scully has no intention of leaving, but that his management has orcehstrated all this as a way of getting a better deal out of the Dees?

So WM what is your gut feel then. He obviously hasn't told you one way or the other what he is doing but as you must have got to know him over the year, you must have a feeling as to which way he is going to go. No one reads this rubbish so feel confident to let loose!!!

I've got no idea what he'll do and it will be in the media before I know...

My read is he wants to stay at Melbourne but I look at Ward who grew up next to Whitten Oval and was a bulldogs supporter his whole life and left because the offer was too good to refuse, I can't see how he could knock back the reported offer but I do know for fact the quoted figures of GWS and MFC are not even close to the real offers (they are smaller)

My read is he wants to stay at Melbourne but I look at Ward who grew up next to Whitten Oval and was a bulldogs supporter his whole life and left because the offer was too good to refuse, I can't see how he could knock back the reported offer but I do know for fact the quoted figures of GWS and MFC are not even close to the real offers (they are smaller)

And there you go

Ward did grow up next to Whitten oval, but was an Essendon supporter

The only thing i will say to that WM is that i think the Melbourne Footy Club has a lot stronger long term future than the Westies.

Footscray are going to struggle for quite a while now....There window closed at a bad time..Maybe Ward could see the writing.

I know as much as you do or less, but i still hold out Tom will play a 32nd Game for Melbourne in 2012....I was half waiting for him to go last monday....He didn't so i am still hopefull our club can retain it's number one draft pick.

So you are prepared to accept the word of a poster on Demonland that he has knowledge of the two offers; interesting.

I guess we only believe rumours we want to.

I'm prepared to believe that poster on Demonland when that poster on Demonland happens to be the player in question's sponsor.

I have to admire Tom for laying low and staying silent while all this media Bullshite has flown around....i would not be able to stay quiet and remain in the spotlight, so the kid has strength upstairs in abundance.

I'm prepared to believe that poster on Demonland when that poster on Demonland happens to be the player in question's sponsor.

And?

Do you really believe that a player has the obligation to discuss his contract offers with his sponsor?

If he did; when?

Scully has said he wasn't going to look at the contracts until the end of the football season, so when did he tell his sponsor what the details were?

Funny there are 5 million posts on here but you respond to one of mine.

Well I think it's pretty safe to say now that Tom has not made a concrete decision on where he will be next year. Therefore, all the speculation about it being a "done deal" throughout the year from Ox, Ralph, Eddie etc was almost certainly a load of bollocks.

That's not to say he will be with us next year and these journos will claim to have been right all along if he takes the $$$ on offer.

Edited by Sylvia Saint

Update on sun website is interesting

So to piece it together...

- GWS have made their pitch

- That said, they've made it through sideline options rather than open courting a la Judd and Carlton/Melbourne

- There will probably be a decision by the end of the week based on SOS's comments

- At the same time, MFC are still pitching - the $ offer as made previously, plus whatever is going on now with the club....something which hasn't had much said about it.

I'm calling it a coinflip at this point.

+1. RobbieF - how many journalists have said this year that Scully is gone, or as good as? Well, clearly he isn't just yet. Your conviction as to the truth of those figures is baffling.

So to piece it together...

- GWS have made their pitch

- That said, they've made it through sideline options rather than open courting a la Judd and Carlton/Melbourne

- There will probably be a decision by the end of the week based on SOS's comments

- At the same time, MFC are still pitching - the $ offer as made previously, plus whatever is going on now with the club....something which hasn't had much said about it.

I'm calling it a coinflip at this point.

MFC nose in front by a whisker, at this point. Tom obviously enjoys the MFC otherwise he would have already gone.

If he leaves...he leaves behind a pile of potential....he would know that. Jack Trengove and Sylvia signing after the coach left has probably helped our cause a lot thus far.

Guest fitness

What's the chance that Scully has no intention of leaving, but that his management has orcehstrated all this as a way of getting a better deal out of the Dees?

I've mentioned this before, and I think it is still a valid point. Assuming Tom has always remained keen to stay a Demon (not a certainty I realise), then putting off all talks until the end of the season reeks of him being advised to do so by his management in order to get the best deal for himself. Smart from a financial sense obviously, but given all that has gone on this year surrounding this decision, any manager who actually cared about his client as a person would have advised Tom to make the call much earlier.

Summary - if he chooses to stay at Melbourne (which I hope and am confident he will) - then in my humble opinion he needs a new manager, and badly.

still more intrigue.. Supposedly GWS have made their final pitch...and yet hes still to go and have a look ?? All a bit arse-about surely...lol. Wouldnt you inreality make your final pitch when hes actually there .??

Why is there so litle believable from anywhere. GWS keep tripping up on themselves. I dont believe Sheeds for one moment...but then ..have I ever.

Davis blew the whistle on the nature of the fun and games and how little is what it appears.

More Tomfoolery is all I see :unsure:

Those equating what Tom has said and what journos say is disingenuous.

Tom is either lying or telling the truth that he is undecided and going through the process now.

The journos have either got very good sources, 98% good, or they have got the wrong word from the 'inside.'

If you think that the journos will accept that you can call them a liar you are kidding yourself.

So if Tom has not signed anything - Journos with Bad Sources.

If Tom has signed something and this a charade - Tom is a liar.

+1. RobbieF - how many journalists have said this year that Scully is gone, or as good as? Well, clearly he isn't just yet. Your conviction as to the truth of those figures is baffling.

You can believe what you want to believe that's your prerogative.

I'm not sure if he will be there or not, I was merely commenting on the fact that there is an offer; there seems to be one of $5m over 5 years and that's all. There was no denial or confirmation, one way or the other, so in light of that I doubt he'd be sharing it with someone that posts on Demonland, particularly when the person in question is quick to jump on here and announce it.

Guest Gareth Keenan

GWS will throw the kitchen sink at him.

I don't think they have enough players up their sleeve to let hm say no.

If he does, as I expect him to, I'll be quite impressed with the young man.

I really can't fault him if he does decide to go.