Record sponsorship deal coming

Heart Beats True

Some good news on the horizon it seems.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/as-melbourne-backers-walk-out-a-major-sponsor-walks-in/story-e6frf9jf-1226107708999

Interestingly the article again refers to Schwab and issues with current sponsors.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/as-melbourne-backers-walk-out-a-major-sponsor-walks-in/story-e6frf9jf-1226107708999

Interestingly the article again refers to Schwab and issues with current sponsors.

It's a fair point I guess. Think Kaspersky have a long-term deal for the back, so it's got to be for the front of the jumper...

Long as it's not a betting company, I don't think after Daniel Bell and Theo the club should do such a thing morally. Yes, dollars and cents, but...

Edited by Striker475

It's a fair point I guess. Think Kaspersky have a long-term deal for the back, so it's got to be for the front of the jumper...

Long as it's not a betting company, I don't think after Daniel Bell and Theo the club should do such a thing morally. Yes, dollars and cents, but...

Daniel Ward?

I think you mean Schwarz, Johnstone, Ward and Maric.

Anyway, it's a shame that there have been issues with Hankook, but we don't really know either side of the story.

I'll still support the club, and I still intend to purchase some Hankook tyres purely because they were a sponsor (& I need tyres).

Can read a lot into the timing of this.

Schwab saying we have the $$ to keep Scully

Schwab's dismisal being reversed

Schwab spotted on the Grassy Knoll.

Position of the logo....read it again.

I read that but what I can't understand is why we would fail to accommodate him, he is a major supporter of the club and the position of the club logo is inconsequential in most people's eyes. Let him have the top spot he's paying for it.

This guy has gone from being a major supporter to talking through his lawyers.

Edited by RobbieF

Lawrie de la Rue is an absolute legend, he's put as much of his heart, soul and livelihood into sustaining this club as anyone else.

I'm absolutely staggered the club didn't look after him. :blink:

Take the good with the bad.

Cue: The antagonists wanting to change and simplify the logo

we go from $700,000 a year to $1.9mill and some are not happy.

No wonder there are arguements within Footy Clubs!! i just cracked a bottle of red..

still room for more deals too......

How in God's name have we managed to [censored] off one of our longest term supporters?

Because you can't please everyone all the time.

Who could the new sponsor be ......

Quilton toilet paper (soft and sh1tty)?

Donald Trump (You're Fired!)?

Or maybe Sherman Tanks???

:)

Actually Striker, by the sounds of it, both Kaspersky and Hankook seem to be departing as sponsors, as the article states both gave a combined total of $1.5m/year.

As Robbie says, how we can lose a major and long-term backer is bemusing, though i think De La Rue will continue to give $ to the club, just not as a major sponsor.

The good news, however, is that a supposed sponsor willing to give $1.9m/year on either the front or the back, with the other side still up for sponsorship, which already has a few companies keen (going by the article).

Actually Striker, by the sounds of it, both Kaspersky and Hankook seem to be departing as sponsors, as the article states both gave a combined total of $1.5m/year.

As Robbie says, how we can lose a major and long-term backer is bemusing, though i think De La Rue will continue to give $ to the club, just not as a major sponsor.

The good news, however, is that a supposed sponsor willing to give $1.9m/year on either the front or the back, with the other side still up for sponsorship, which already has a few companies keen (going by the article).

That is a win in my books...

we go from $700,000 a year to $1.9mill and some are not happy.

No wonder there are arguements within Footy Clubs!! i just cracked a bottle of red..

still room for more deals too......

I believe that in your rise to the top you never forget those that got you there; I'm happy we got, or are getting a new sponsor who will pay heaps of cash but i don't like [censored] in the face of those that helped you through the tough times. I guess I'm not ruthless enough.

I believe that in your rise to the top you never forget those that got you there; I'm happy we got, or are getting a new sponsor who will pay heaps of cash but i don't like [censored] in the face of those that helped you through the tough times. I guess I'm not ruthless enough.

I agree with your first line Robbie, very much. The ABC is about to implode so i am well aware of your sentiments

But if you get to a point where a deal is unworkable, then both parties have got to move on....We all should know that this week.

If the jumper was now empty i would be very concerned...but it isnt, it's value has almost tripled.

I read that but what I can't understand is why we would fail to accommodate him, he is a major supporter of the club and the position of the club logo is inconsequential in most people's eyes. Let him have the top spot he's paying for it.

This guy has gone from being a major supporter to talking through his lawyers.

Hancook is a Big Logo. To move it higher would compromise our Jumper design.... The Emblem sits over the heart. That is what i am guessing anyway.

Only the dealmakers would know..

While the reported figure appears great (and surprising), our inability to retain Kaspersky or Hankook beyond their first deals is concerning. This is especially so for Kaspersky as they are actively expanding sports sponsorship in Australia (see Manly Sea Eagles).

Fair enough. Maybe we can reflect on the following past jumper and shorts sponsors in the meantime during tough times:

Drake

Snowy Mountain

Subway

Tooheys (Blue)

Reebok

The Age

iPrimus

While the reported figure appears great (and surprising), our inability to retain Kaspersky or Hankook beyond their first deals is concerning. This is especially so for Kaspersky as they are actively expanding sports sponsorship in Australia (see Manly Sea Eagles).

I think it's entirely possible they've just been priced out of the market.

Fair enough. Maybe we can reflect on the following past jumper and shorts sponsors in the meantime during tough times:

Drake

Snowy Mountain

Subway

Tooheys (Blue)

Reebok

The Age

iPrimus

I think you're missing my point.

I'm concerned that Lawrie De La Rue may be lost to the club as they appear to be talking through Lawyers and they have ceased direct communications.

There are always reasons why companies cease sponsorship; it may be lack of funds, change of direction or simply the company ceases to operate, so i'm fully aware that you need to revisit this all I'm concerned with is the animosity that has arisen out of this sponsorship.

I'm not sure why i have to explain this I have an opinion that may not be shared by others, if that's the case then so be it.

How do you know the club's administration is at fault here?

As a club you honour the contract and try to accommodate the sponsor... to a point.

I know de la Rue is a longtime supporter of the club, but surely there are 2 sides involved in this.

If they are making demands over the placement of their logo that are unreasonable, I'm not sure the club is at fault.

For a start, the shape and size of the logo is awkward for a football jumper with a yoke like ours.

Not a good start.