Sylvia gone too ??

GIRO

Problem is Col has been a V. Good big game player and big games we should be playing more nxt yr. ..he could lift other younger players. But the problem is his quiet games are just that & consistency has been loose. Rid him with Dunne & 2nd pick and get D Thomas...stick that up your ass Eddie and just think about it

Dale Thomas signed today for 2 years apparently.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sylvia is a key player for our future

Sylvia:

119 games

avg disposals: 16.6,

avg goals: 0.8

Tackles: 3.2

Marks: 4.9

Dale Thomas:

126 games,

avg disposals: 18.6,

Tackles: 2.8

Marks: 5.8

Sylvia in a side which has lost 63% of its matches and Thomas in a side that has won 66%.

It could be argued (and probably will be in the contract negotiatons) that Sylvia is wasting his career on a losing proposition....so why does he stay? because he believes (or believed ) in the plan.

If there is anyone providing leadership at the club, show him the plan........FFS......show all of the talent that we've accumulated that having signed them we actually have some idea of what to do next

And show the rest of us while your at it

At the moment, Colin Sylvia is the player that Collingwood fans were worried that Thomas would be IMO.

Thomas has worked his butt off to improve his all round game to become elite. This is something Sylvia threatens to never achieve.

And how do you best develop talent to elite performance a la Thomas?

In a coordinated, organised club with a winning record and a clear plan and the structure and resolve to deliver it

OR

by playing your career in an organisation that loses 2 weeks in three during your career and now appears to be a fractured, dysfunctional, back biting train wreck.... at least from the players pov

Sylvia is talent...

Sylvia:

119 games

Dale Thomas:

126 games,

Sylvia in a side which has lost 63% of its matches and Thomas in a side that has won 66%.

It could be argued (and probably will be in the contract negotiatons) that Sylvia is wasting his career on a losing proposition....so why does he stay? because he believes (or believed ) in the plan.

If there is anyone providing leadership at the club, show him the plan........FFS......show all of the talent that we've accumulated that having signed them we actually have some idea of what to do next

Well said. The guy is a gun. Watch him soar post Bailey.

People forget that our team has not been coached properly this year, the fact our structures don't allow us to get out of back 50 against a solid press is evidence of that...

People forget that our team has not been coached properly this year, the fact our structures don't allow us to get out of back 50 against a solid press is evidence of that...

Structures break down when certain players are unaccountable

His pressure on forward 50 has a lot to be desired this yr. He doesn't chase but receives ,those tackles are mostly in & under which is needed don't get me wrong. He can be damaging if he's alone hasn't broken lines in weeks/months though, hopefully this wk out will fire him up or final season assault

Thomas could be the modern day Trapper but with endeavor & consistent application, scary thought....Col. 1 more yr for mine then we'll see

Don't you forget that he never played good footy before Bailey.

I sincerely hope he signs soon and can get back to his 2010 form next year.

Don't you forget that he never played good footy before Bailey.

I sincerely hope he signs soon and can get back to his 2010 form next year.

Before Bailey Sylvia had played 50 games and had played enough good footy to ignite a lot of hope for a bright future

If he hasn't developed as well as we like over the ensuing 4 years I don't think that can all be hung on the player

Before Bailey Sylvia had played 50 games and had played enough good footy to ignite a lot of hope for a bright future

If he hasn't developed as well as we like over the ensuing 4 years I don't think that can all be hung on the player

He's developed better than expected over the last 4 years.

Before Bailey Sylvia was nothing. His first 50 games were crap and everyone wanted him gone. He played a pretty consistent season in 2009 and then had some A+ games in 2010 even with injuries. However he hasn't progressed at all this year, he's kept up the occasional smashing game in a big win, but hasn't served up enough meat and potatoes.

That all said I think right now we should try and keep all our better players, not lose them. Especially if Scully walks then we are starting from scratch again, with no class or depth in the midfield.

so 1st in tackles

1st in score involvements

1st inside 50

2nd contested posessions

3rd in goals

3rd in Disposals

I think he has been one of the most consistent all year need to keep

A good footballer ..... reaching his prime............the sort of player every club needs to win a flag.

Before Bailey Sylvia was nothing. His first 50 games were crap and everyone wanted him gone. He played a pretty consistent season in 2009 and then had some A+ games in 2010 even with injuries. However he hasn't progressed at all this year, he's kept up the occasional smashing game in a big win, but hasn't served up enough meat and potatoes.

Ablett would have struggled to have an impact the way we have been coached this year. Imagine him trying to run and carry through Collingwood's zone surrounded by Melbourne players.

If the players are being coached a crap game plan that can't win games, I wouldn't be bothering to chase either.

This morning John Anderson (7:25 3AW) said to "expect Sylvia to be on the move".

Why? Just becuase he gets dropped means that he should look for another club? If that's his attitude, we don't want him at our Club.

I think we should try and keep Col, but he seriously needs to think about what his asking price is. Where we need to be careful is making sure that we treat him with due respect (providing he does the same to us). For example, if he is asking for $500k, and we only offer $300k, then he cracks it and leaves, I'd hate to think that he goes to another club and signs for $300k. I think Cam Bruce's situation was very similar (ie same money, just more potential of a 2nd year at Hawks).

Guest hangon007

Sylvia can be a very good player.. He can also be very inconsistent.

He aspires to a paypacket that looks to one aspect without regard to the other.

Where shall we all draw the line ?

Where the market says we should ... its all about supply & demand in 2011. But unlike normally forces you are dealing with a human being who has a right to get the best deal for themselves .... nearly EVERYBODY would do the same in their place of employment. Welcome to 2011.

Sylvia:

119 games

Dale Thomas:

126 games,

Good post. Totally agree.

Why? Just becuase he gets dropped means that he should look for another club? If that's his attitude, we don't want him at our Club.

I don't know why.

Maybe, after 8 seasons underachieving at Melbourne, he feels the time is right to go and underachieve elsewhere, but for more money.

"After 8 enjoyable and rewarding seasons at Melbourne I see this move as a great opportunity to further my football career and I am really looking forward to this new challenge."

Guest Gotzy15

I almost want Scully to go to GWS.

Think about it.

He has chronic problems with his knee.

We'd get two priority picks for him.

We'd free up millions of dollars we'd otherwise be able to spend say trying to get Clarkson or Malthouse to the Club.

We're getting a belter of a midfielder Jack Viney next year :)

Inconsistent players like Sylvia just eat into our salary cap and should be getting paid less not more for what they provide the club on the field.

absolutely spot on. couldnt agree more with this

Guest The Tweed Pig

I'd prefer Sylvia to stay, but if we could somehow use him to land O'Meara I'd comfortably live with the loss.

Yes, I realise that you need developed talent to succeeed in this competition, but O'Meara is a draft pick one quality player and Sylvia is a headcase.

I also realise that we can't keep on rebuilding, but I also acknowledge that that doesn't mean that we shouldn't strive to get elite talent on the list, especially if circumstances present such an opportunity.

With all the current problems we have, the last we need is another senior malcontent who has a chequered past hanging around asking for more money. He's now lost me for good.

Edited by america de cali

This morning John Anderson (7:25 3AW) said to "expect Sylvia to be on the move".

The questions are:

(1) Is Sylvia the senior player who most deserves to be dropped on form?

(2) Is it more than a co-incidence that Scully comes in & Sylvia goes out?

Anderson's just guessing, but I did wonder myself when I saw the team selection - it was a mild surprise that he was the only senior player to be held accountable for last week.

Oh, and could Sylvia's improved performance in 2009 & 2010 be partly or wholly attributed to improved fitness & having got over OP?

Might be easier for some in this thread to identify who they'd actually keep as they hold forth on trading/ pushing out players like Sylvia. We've gone through the supposed period of bottoming out (not tanking of course as shown by the recent in depth AFL investigation) to be able to gather quality young players....have had to make cuts to experience to fit them in. Now you think we can afford to push a player like Sylvia out....but weep and wring hands for the impact of Juniors departure...Are you completely deranged? Sylvia is a quality player in any side.

This my list of those I'd keep - some with reservations as noted. The rest though are essential for the next 4 - 5 years.

Bail, * injury prone

Bartram

Blease* not convinced yet

Cook

Davey * needs to show something over next five weeks

Davis

Fitzpatrick

Frawley

Garland

Gawn

Green

Grimes