• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Sylvia gone too ??

GIRO

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hangon007

I'm sure that was a key reason but he was also virtually unsighted against Hawthorn and Geelong. Not good enough on both counts.

The terms 'flatters to deceive' was invented for sportsmen like Sylvia.

To my mind his bad habits are now too far gone to break and we would do well to trade him and get something of genuine value while we can.

No the key reason was something different but I wont expect you to understand the principles of work loads & body stress.

$hit happens ... he needs a reduction in work load for a week or two. Even better do what Geelong do with Stevie J give him a week off for NO REASON other than to reduce the risk of burn out, reduce his work load.

I just thought of a better way to explain it for you ... think of racehorses.

Slyvia is better "fresh" almost like a sprinter, then he tapers .. hard bloody position he plays, heaps of hard knocks. Sometimes when you have a real "gut busting" run in horse racing terms you taper again.

Ultimately in racehorse terms you would be best to give him a "spell" ... but you cant you loss tooooooo much match fitness.

So effectively we are "freshening him up" via work-load management ... one of the other guys around here is a horseracing lover he can better explain the principles.

But I hope that helps YOU. B)

Edited by hangon007

Daisy works incredibly hard and always puts his body on the line (he's transformed himself). I've gone from despising him to having the uttmost respect for him as a player. I can't say the same for Sylvia. I was very happy to see Sylvia dropped. Good message from Viney. Having said that, I would love to see Sylvia get the message and come back a better player.

No the key reason was something different but I wont expect you to understand the principles of work loads & body stress.

$hit happens ... he needs a reduction in work load for a week or two. Even better do what Geelong do with Stevie J give him a week off for NO REASON other than to reduce the risk of burn out, reduce his work load.

I just thought of a better way to explain it for you ... think of racehorses.

Slyvia is better "fresh" almost like a sprinter, then he tapers .. hard bloody position he plays, heaps of hard knocks. Sometimes when you have a real "gut busting" run in horse racing terms you taper again.

Ultimately in racehorse terms you would be best to give him a "spell" ... but you cant you loss tooooooo much match fitness.

So effectively we are "freshening him up" via work-load management ... one of the other guys around here is a horseracing lover he can better explain the principles.

But I hope that helps YOU. B)

That's laughable. The guy is 25yo and (supposedly) at the peak of his physical prowess.

So is comparing him to Stevie J or any of the other Geelong champions. Get back to me when he nears 30 and has a couple of premiership medals swinging around his neck.

Yep, let's rest a guy a few weeks after our last bye and a player who's barely touched the footy in the past month. Just to, you know, keep him fresh lol

Edited by Range Rover

I wouldn't be surprised if Sylvia was a late inclusion for Bate or Scully. We did it with Jones last year against Richmond I think and we know that they are being extremely cautious with Scully's knee.

I was thinking the same, he's an emergency and maybe Viney would like to spring a surprise.

Sylvia can't be held solely accountable amongst the more senior players for last week. He was far from worst.

No doubt I'd keep him.

My hairdresser (she's a Blues supporter) thinks it was Sylvia pictured out with his girlfriend Sat night, being consoled... and maybe the club took a dim view (of what??). I didn't see the article so don't know if it was him, or what he's supposed to have done if anything. But hairdressers are never wrong (like wives) :)

Anyway, I wished her a bruising wretched day tomorrow. She said she's scared :)

As we could not have possibly got any injuries last week, the players dropped would all have attitude or long term "niggles"

Seeing Colin pictured in the paper out at a "cool" night club with his model Girlfriend on his arm, with a big grin on his face was just wrong, like EVERYTHING else this week

I don't care if the woman talked him into going out. Colin should have just said a BIG NO....Lay Low..they must have known the media would be circling.

Bad attitude = Bad culture = Bad attitude, and around it goes.

Must be fixed up...Wet Coke have done it. Geelong did it......Can the MFC? We are told how bright the future is going to be, but so far it is still pitch black.

As we could not have possibly got any injuries last week, the players dropped would all have attitude or long term "niggles"

Seeing Colin pictured in the paper out at a "cool" night club with his model Girlfriend on his arm, with a big grin on his face was just wrong, like EVERYTHING else this week

I don't care if the woman talked him into going out. Colin should have just said a BIG NO....Lay Low..they must have known the media would be circling.

Bad attitude = Bad culture = Bad attitude, and around it goes.

Must be fixed up...Wet Coke have done it. Geelong did it......Can the MFC? We are told how bright the future is going to be, but so far it is still pitch black.

Thanks wyl. I knew I shouldn't discount my hairdresser. And even better, she's worried about her Blues tomorrow!

Look, I don't condone it, and I don't take the article as gospel, but it doesn't really sound that bad at all...

http://www.heraldsun...x-1226106244688

I heard worse (unconfirmed rumours) about other players.

No it's not that bad, but it was a very bad choice. After losing by 31 Goals i reckon i would stay home with a quick trip to Dan Murphy's for a 6 pack..and call in some nice home delivery...Maybe invite some friends over to help console.

Going to a night club whilst your coach is a "dead man walking" is just not cool. Attitude. That said the Girl should have had more brains too!!!

With ALL due respect this is so yesterday ... kids dont THINK like that today ... sorry its 2011.

with all due respect youre dead wrong.. This kind of attitude has been around since the year dot.

Gen Y espec want it all on a plate...and the plate to be around for longer.. Stay at homes etc etc..

No, 007...some definitely dont have the worth ethic of yesterday thats for sure.

Guest hangon007

with all due respect youre dead wrong.. This kind of attitude has been around since the year dot.

Gen Y espec want it all on a plate...and the plate to be around for longer.. Stay at homes etc etc..

No, 007...some definitely dont have the worth ethic of yesterday thats for sure.

Kids dont play for the jumper like they used tooooooo, the system has desensitised them to a certain extent ... its all about playing the game & not so much about the club. Sorry thats just the way it is. Look I'm not saying ever kid is like that ... just more and more are like that. How do we know this as fact ... simple you ask them at draft camps, then you just gauge their responses. Some you take a "punt" on some you dont.

So sorry, the "attitude" is changing from a playing group ... However, its not from a supporter groups. I understand your loyalty.

So sorry, as much as I would love to agree with you its just not the case.

PS ... I disagree with your comments on "work ethic" many many are physically driven way, way more than past years ... they have to be or they just dont make it.

Edited by hangon007

Thanks wyl. I knew I shouldn't discount my hairdresser. And even better, she's worried about her Blues tomorrow!

Now i am confused...long week....what is the connection between your Hairdresser & Colin Sylvia? I was speaking about an article in this weeks HUN demon_cool.gif

Guest hangon007

Hey Colin ... how about asking not what your club can do for you but what you can do for your club.

Even better ... ask what the market is prepared to offer and ask your club to match that. Its a two way street big boy. B)

I think youre failing to grasp the tent of the argument here 007. My point is quite simply Sylvia is playing for the money. In that the youngens today dont hold the jumper sacrosanct as once I agree with you. What Colin is not getting is that those who pay....expect... He thinks ( or so it seems) that his playing is worth more than the MFC is willing, and in that he thinks the MFC owe him. They dont...not a sheckle.

His inflated self worth is deluding him as to teh real nature of his market value. ....to say nothing of how we all know he's playing . he thinks hes knocking on the door of the elite.. Mr Kerrigan would have sage advice for him !! :rolleyes:

Guest hangon007

I'd prefer Sylvia to stay, but if we could somehow use him to land O'Meara I'd comfortably live with the loss.

Yes, I realise that you need developed talent to succeeed in this competition, but O'Meara is a draft pick one quality player and Sylvia is a headcase.

I also realise that we can't keep on rebuilding, but I also acknowledge that that doesn't mean that we shouldn't strive to get elite talent on the list, especially if circumstances present such an opportunity.

O'Meara will go to Fremantle or West Coast reckon you could nearly bet your last dollar on it.

GWS Know he was too much of a risk to bring to Sydney. B)

Edited by hangon007

Even better ... ask what the market is prepared to offer and ask your club to match that. Its a two way street big boy. B)

Market values can skew. They dont always represent the real assett worth.. Just what some other scmuck in differing circumstances might pay.

MFC needs to stick towhat anyone is worth to us...not another

O'Meara will go to Fremantle or West Coast reckon you could nearly bet your last dollar on it.

GWS Know he was too much of a risk to bring to Sydney. B)

Rubbish. GWS never had the option.

And WC & Freo have to barter for O'Meara just like everyone else.

If another team offers more, they can wave goodbye.

I know there's theories that Palmer is gone, and the comp pick will be used to trade for O'Meara, but another team can always offer a better pick or player.

It's not even close to being a fair accompli.

Guest hangon007

I think youre failing to grasp the tent of the argument here 007. My point is quite simply Sylvia is playing for the money. In that the youngens today dont hold the jumper sacrosanct as once I agree with you. What Colin is not getting is that those who pay....expect... He thinks ( or so it seems) that his playing is worth more than the MFC is willing, and in that he thinks the MFC owe him. They dont...not a sheckle.

His inflated self worth is deluding him as to teh real nature of his market value. ....to say nothing of how we all know he's playing . he thinks hes knocking on the door of the elite.. Mr Kerrigan would have sage advice for him !! :rolleyes:

Rubbish ... Colins value is what another club is prepared to pay. FULLSTOP ... if we dont want to match it thats our decision. Then he walks ... thats football in 2011. There is reality in a nutshell ... generally the current side do get a "discount" but thats depends on how happy he is to stay. The player has the power ... life in 2011.

IMHO we will work it out ... compromise is what its called.

Edited by hangon007

unlike Scully he probably is truly working out what to do at season end..... our approach.... isolate him as the only senior player dropped after last weeks debacle.How is this treating him with respect

this is nothing like Bruce.....he is 25 yo and has genuine talent which has been demonstrated despite our completely sh*t game plan and lack of desire to win while we rebuild. FFS he is a quality player who sounds like he is at least giving us the opportunity to convince him that his career will be well served by staying (and that is considering $, likely success and club environment).

If we want to try to keep Col, forget about telling HIM to seriously think about HIS asking price, How would you respond if he walked in your door tomorrow and asked why he should stay at MFC? Do it for Jimmy?

Sylvia needs work on the defensive side of his game like sticking on Sam Mitchell 20 metres off the ball in instead of being attracted to the mass of players waiting for a ball in on the defensive side of the wing.

Oh and going out last Saturday night after the worst performance in the history of the club, that was just dumb. I know I was not in the mood to head out last Saturday and I suspect most Dees fans were the same.

Guest hangon007

Rubbish. GWS never had the option.

And WC & Freo have to barter for O'Meara just like everyone else.

If another team offers more, they can wave goodbye.

I know there's theories that Palmer is gone, and the comp pick will be used to trade for O'Meara, but another team can always offer a better pick or player.

It's not even close to being a fair accompli.

Rubbish. GWS never had the option. .... ssshhhhhh ... oh yes they did ... :) Dont be so naive

Hahahahahah ... yes well we will see. B)

The deal is done ... dont worry about it ... we move on.

Edited by hangon007

No it's not that bad, but it was a very bad choice. After losing by 31 Goals i reckon i would stay home with a quick trip to Dan Murphy's for a 6 pack..and call in some nice home delivery...Maybe invite some friends over to help console.

Going to a night club whilst your coach is a "dead man walking" is just not cool. Attitude. That said the Girl should have had more brains too!!!

Devil's Advocate --

Was it? Can we expect players to completely stop living their lives?

His commitment to the club was over for the day.

According to the report he didn't drink and left relatively early in the evening.

How about if it were one of his best friend's birthdays? His brother's engagement? Some other significant event?

"sorry mate, can't come even for a little while - we had a really bad loss and I'm expected to be a hermit."

I just don't think that's reasonable.

Rubbish. GWS never had the option. .... ssshhhhhh ... oh yes they did ... :) Dont be so naive

Hahahahahah ... yes well we will see. B)

Stop talking sh%t.

If GWS were able to claim him, explain exactly how...

Devil's Advocate --

Was it? Can we expect players to completely stop living their lives?

His commitment to the club was over for the day.

According to the report he didn't drink and left relatively early in the evening.

How about if it were one of his best friend's birthdays? His brother's engagement? Some other significant event?

"sorry mate, can't come even for a little while - we had a really bad loss and I'm expected to be a hermit."

I just don't think that's reasonable.

i do not disagree 25, BUT the cameras were out, and that was the reason to lay low and stay home.