Tom Scully

No ... no ... no.

You have it all round the wrong way on this point.

Do tell....a successful football club wins....the rest of the business grows from there.

I am interested in your take...i shall answer it tomorrow.....

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No ... no ... no.

You have it all round the wrong way on this point.

So if the crowds come to watch, then you/we win on and off the field...yes? Business hmmmm......

Edited by tatu

Guest hangon007

Did i hit a nerve, sorry about that.... :lol:

Nope,no nerve ... sorry about that. Just plain honesty from me. You did not upset me 1 inch.

Nope,no nerve ... sorry about that. Just plain honesty from me. You did not upset me 1 inch.

That good, because that wasn't my intention.

Still there is the question?

If i really love Holden cars, should i buy$ the Holden that doesn't work or the Ford that does work?

Guest hangon007

Do tell....a successful football club wins....the rest of the business grows from there.

I am interested in your take...i shall answer it tomorrow.....

There can ever only be one winner in this competition every year. But some want success before they earn it ... others earn it before they achieve it. But you hit our very weakness bang on the head.

If our team is not winning ... guess what?

You dont win in this modern era until your business is a success first. Look at the most successful business in the AFL where do they sit. Look at the least successful where do they sit?

ahhh ... the winning comes first? No, no, no ... it took Collingwood 10+ years and many mistakes in between premierships.

ahhh ... Geelong ... the winning comes first? No, no, no ... again the successful business men came first in the modern era.

ahhh ... lets take Port ... When you undermine the successful business people in your organisation you pay the price.

Guest hangon007

That good, because that wasn't my intention.

Still there is the question?

If i really love Holden cars, should i buy$ the Holden that doesn't work or the Ford that does work?

I would buy what I'm passionate about and make it work ... thats why business people make it happen.

Others just look for the option that they dont have to think about. Its all tooooo hard for some.

There can ever only be one winner in this competition every year. But some want success before they earn it ... others earn it before they achieve it. But you hit our very weakness bang on the head.

If our team is not winning ... guess what?

You dont win in this modern era until your business is a success first. Look at the most successful business in the AFL where do they sit. Look at the least successful where do they sit?

ahhh ... the winning comes first? No, no, no ... it took Collingwood 10+ years and many mistakes in between premierships.

ahhh ... Geelong ... the winning comes first? No, no, no ... again the successful business men came first in the modern era.

ahhh ... lets take Port ... When you undermine the successful business people in your organisation you pay the price.

So premierships are actaully won off field, by good business $$$$$......yes? what happen on field is just for show?

Edited by tatu

Guest hangon007

So premierships are actaully won off field, by good business $$$$$......yes? what happen on field is just for show?

Sadly, when you live in the modern era ... what is done on the field was determined long ago. Mate some clubs are running a business not a kindergarten. But hey I've said that a few times before.

PS How is that Holden going?

Sadly, when you live in the modern era ... what is done on the field was determined long ago. Mate some clubs are running a business not a kindergarten. But hey I've said that a few times before.

PS How is that Holden going?

:lol: It works...just!....should really get serviced more.

Edited by tatu

Suppose i still like to think of AFL, as a fantasy. Where it's all chicks, cars, money and premierships. As apposed to good business, FIXtures, surgery and injections so you can walk the day after a match....

Edited by tatu

This thread is failing to contribute anything to the site except

Speculation on speculation. There are very few known facts being talked about

A lot is innuendo and casual observation. While I think TS is gone repeating

That over and over doesn't make it more true. There is little left to add to the debate

Unless there is an actual announcement I think we all understand where the situation

is at and that this thread should be locked till there is some factual points to be discussed

It seems insane that we are speculating or passing judgement when we have no

Involvement in ongoing negotiations or are privy to the inner sanctum.

Mods lock it down reopen it when there is actual news. so that we don't

All suffer with anxiety disorders.

Appears that for better or worse, Tom Scully is going to be out of sight if not out of mind for the next week or so:More knee doubts for Melbourne midfielder Tom Scully

I dont't rejoice in the fact that he is injured but I do think it would be great for all concerned at the MFC if we could pull off a victory in his absence to prove that a 20 year old is not such a be all and end all in what remains a team sport.

Loved Robbie, and loved the fact that he was Melbourne through and through.

But if you remember him, you must also remember a time where footballers trained Tuesday and Thursday nights and had to have a day job during the week. Robbie worked hard in a sports shop at Knox City six days a week (Saturday mornings before games). For Robbie football was a part time job as he set himself up for life with his sport shop, later becoming Sporstco.

It was also a time of reserves, zoning, long lists and resting an older player in the forward pocket to nurse him through the last couple of years. Players would not be squeezed out as soon as they past their peak. In Robbie’s day James McDonald, Cam Bruce and Brad Miller would still be at Melbourne.

It's a different era, players are professionals and they get one shot at setting themselves up for life. They can't work a day job, and they are only wanted as long as they are needed.

Most posters who scream loyalty from Scully also argue that Melbourne should not pay him over the odds, and the club should not treat him any different than any other player.

It's a professional era, with both the players and the clubs treating the game like a business.

Offer Scully what he is worth. If he takes it great, if he doesn't so be it. But don't hold Scully to the standards of players from another era, because when it comes down to the hard decisions, the club wont.

There's one major problem with this analogy - that is, Scully won't need to work in a sports store at Knox City six days a week if he accepts the Dees' offer. He will immediately become one of the wealthiest 20 year olds in the country.

Again, it's the intangibles that are difficult to explain to some.

The interesting thing about this thread (among the not so interesting bits) is that there is a debate about modern sport - and the appropriateness of the differing motivations of players these days.

In effect, some are saying - there should be some commitment to the club beyond the mere contractual terms. Others are saying, in effect, the players are professional athletes and won't be able to command these salaries forever - AFL is a ruthless game and clubs are not immune to disloyal behaviour, hence get the best terms you can while you can.

There's no correct answer to this IMO - it just depends on one's own personal perspective.

For me, I want to see our players bleed for the guernsey - I think this builds a top club culture - but I do respect that not all share this view.

As an aside, I cannot see any good reason as to why Scully would not simply accept the Dees' offer if he, like Robbie Flower, wished to stay at the club to the exclusion of all others.

As to the issue of 'mucking the cub around' - any business, club etc that manages cashflow wishes to have certainty in expenditure and income as far as possible. They hate the opposite - uncertainty in expenditure. I would've thought the club simply cannot negotiate many other player contracts whilst an offer of $3M over 5 years is on the table, though not accepted - and one that is uncertain to be accepted before, say, October this year. It's July now.

This is virtually a science fact.

As I have said many times IMO I am certain he is a 100% gone already. IMO the speculation on the tardiness of his intentions is irelevant because he has no more choice in the matter as this is(perhaps unwisely) the course he chose. Five months ago I was very angry but now I believe it is best for the club(and for him) when he finally leaves for good.

As I have said many times IMO I am certain he is a 100% gone already. IMO the speculation on the tardiness of his intentions is irelevant because he has no more choice in the matter as this is(perhaps unwisely) the course he chose. Five months ago I was very angry but now I believe it is best for the club(and for him) when he finally leaves for good.

I am not sure why you have made a point of "As I have said many times". Repeating your belief does not give it any more credibility as it is not based on any plausible evidence. You know as much (or as little) as anyone else despite your efforts at grandstanding otherwise.

And nothing much has changed in the 5 months. Initially you have tried to assert that he is gone....now you just want him gone...Gee whiz your self saving of face is worth more than the mindless jettisoning of a top line player. Well done on the great steps forward.

I am not sure why you have made a point of "As I have said many times". Repeating your belief does not give it any more credibility as it is not based on any plausible evidence. You know as much (or as little) as anyone else despite your efforts at grandstanding otherwise.

And nothing much has changed in the 5 months. Initially you have tried to assert that he is gone....now you just want him gone...Gee whiz your self saving of face is worth more than the mindless jettisoning of a top line player. Well done on the great steps forward.

For the purposes of this forum my opinion will suffice. Any plausible evidence I may or may not have is none of your business.

For the purposes of this forum my opinion will suffice. Any plausible evidence I may or may not have is none of your business.

It seems highly rated too. Well done and call us when you do have some substantive evidence. It will have more credibility than repitious blinkered opinions trying to suggest that you know more than you clearly do.

shhhhhhhhhhh ... Dont tell that to RPFC ... he thinks we can get him or GWS will get him. :wacko:

I thought you were getting better...

Please point out to everyone when/where I said that.

Either that, or tell the leprechaun on your shoulder that he got that piece of info wrong...

Guest hangon007

I thought you were getting better...

Please point out to everyone when/where I said that.

Either that, or tell the leprechaun on your shoulder that he got that piece of info wrong...

I was joking. Like you where joking when you said it to me. Chill bro ... we are on the same side on this debate.

I was joking. Like you where joking when you said it to me. Chill bro ... we are on the same side on this debate.

Yes, you have made a great deal of sense in this thread.

(Although that isn't comparatively difficult...)

But leave the jokes to rpfc...

I would use an emoticon if I used emoticons.

I'm just starting to wonder how much a kid with dodgy knees might really be worth.

As to Rhinos assertion that not much has changed in 5 months that's seems contrary to the reality.

We've got the club wanting to finalize all this . Even got Styges suspicious of all goings on, also GWE have gone public with the offer that seemed to have been doing the rounds in hushed circles for ages .

We've got the A F L showing it's real collies on the matter. There's the arguments for varying compensations and the absolute polarizing of fans left right and centre.

No, not much at all

The deal that was proposed ($3m over 5) is about as good as we can do, or should do.

Plan on that.

Done.

Now Harrington can sign the rest of them up. If he has the extra $600k then throw that around and give us some extra cash for FA in a couple years time.

I prefer that Range Rover has come out and owned his opinion - I don't agree with it but it's his right to hold it and express it.

What I don't like is insinuation and its associated lack of courage.