• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Tom Scully

Rogue

Guest 36DD

Nearly fell off my chair laughing when I read that.

Glad I brought a smile to your face, I know you must be so distraught at the moment...chin up

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But it will be twice as bad if he decides NOW to go to GWS and announces it. There'll be feral MFC supporters picketing training, demanding he's played in Casey 2s and booing him in the process. That will derail our season much worse than if we wait patiently.

Disagree.

From memory, it was about round 17 or 18 that Bock told the crows he was going to the GC. It was: "thanks for the memories mate, but there's the door". He cleared out his gear, and that was that - didn't play or train or .... with the crows again.

So it would be for Scully. He wouldn't play for MFC or Casey again; but would of course get paid as well as, I presume, match fees in lieu.

Scully could then get on with getting settled into Sydney, and getting to know his future team mates etc.

MFC could get on with planning for the draft and next year, and sorting out current players contracts. (I'd bet there are some future contracts/careers hanging on what Scully will do.)

Winners all round I would have thought.

Jack Trengove (whom I absolutely love) get's painted as a white knight on here, but may I put something to all of you who are railing on Scully. Trenners signed an extension on his initial contract which had a number of effects. First, it put him out of the scope of GWS this year. Second, it increased the money he earned straight up (does this not mean he is after money more than Scully who didn't request this).

I think you will find that Scully had the same option put to him & refused it. I think you will also find that Trengove etc did not request the contract extension.

It was initiated (and very wisely) by the club.

I think you will also see Trengove etc. get another extension offer before the end of 2012.

Can someone articulate how this Scully talk is derailing our season?

I've seen it written many times, but can't figure it out.

You're comparing the wrong things ...

If he waits till the end of the season & selects GWS ... all media hell will still break loose.

If he selects GWS now ... twice as much media hell will break loose.

I agree it will be a media [censored]-storm when he does decide at the end of the season, either way. But it will be twice as bad if he decides NOW to go to GWS and announces it. There'll be feral MFC supporters picketing training, demanding he's played in Casey 2s and booing him in the process. That will derail our season much worse than if we wait patiently.

In fact it is more like this

1/ At end of season - MFC selected - media fanfare - which will die pretty quickly except for following years he will have to be BOG every game in the media's eyes because of the extravagant amount of money he is being paid

2/ At end of season - GWS selected - twice as much media s**** storm - varying from " he better be Best on all grounds since he is being the complete carbon tax revenue to play" to "understandable that he couldnt resist the money" to some fairly unsavoury remarks regarding , integrity, loyalty etc.

3/ If he declares now - MFC selected - multiply point 1 x a factor of 2 with questions surrounding "Why the change to the timetable"

4/ If he declares now - GWS selected - expect point 2 x a factor of 10 - all the s*** storm as above and the added "hes a demon until the end of season and we will play him" or "here's the door - we aint playing you" and the ensuing frenzied debate on to play or not to play.

Rubbish. The MFC is doing what is in the best interests of the MFC they cant put all their planning on hold for the sake of one player. They have done the right thing in my opinion and have compromised by not forcing the issue earlier in the season and not waiting until the last second when they have other players to look after as well aslook at other options such as maybe luring a player that the $600K could go towards if Scully heads to GWS. If Scully was fair dinkum about wanting to stay at the club he could easily make a decision now I mean seriously it's not rocket science. Either you stay here for less money or you go to GWS for a hefty payday. It just depends what he wants out of footy I guess does he just see it as a job or does he live and breathe it. It's fair enough to say that he told the club last year contract talks would be on hold til after 2011 and yes other players have done this before but this is a different situation. You can't compare apples with big Orange and black watermelons.

I've backed him to this point but I'm starting to think the kids gone. His manager says it's not the type of decision you make between training sessions? Well for the love of god surely this has been weighing on the kids mind all year and he'd have an idea of what he's going to do. Are we seriously expected to believe the kid will not even think about his future until the final siren in round 24 (or finals) and then meditate on this decision like a monk for a week? He knows what the MFC can get him and yes there may be some discussion about the particulars but if he wants to stay surely he can agree to an in principle contract with Melbourne and let his manager work out the particulars. Through no fault if his own the current situation has the kid putting himself ahead of the club and whether he intended it or not that is the way it's played out not he wants to stay with the MFC fine come to an agreement if he doesn't in the next couple of weeks then see you later don't let the door hit you on the way out.

This is my one and only issue with what Scully is doing

I respect his right to put off talks to the end of the year, I respect his right to look at offers from GWS, I believe IF he decides to go to GWS that decision will be made after the season is over (gut feel is he will stay).

However, the knock on effect this causes is a potential issue

If we don't know if he's staying, we don't know if we have that reported $600k to play with. This delays finalising contract negotiations with other players, i.e. Sylvia

We may be happy to pay Sylvia $600k p.a. without scully, but only $350k p.a. with Scully

Sylvia may want to deal now, but he's not happy with what's being put out to him and may not take an assurance "there may be more if tom goes" type situation. He could decide he wants to be traded - effectively meaning we lose Sylvia AND potentially Scully

This is the one Issue I have with it being dragged out

Disagree.

From memory, it was about round 17 or 18 that Bock told the crows he was going to the GC. It was: "thanks for the memories mate, but there's the door". He cleared out his gear, and that was that - didn't play or train or .... with the crows again.

So it would be for Scully. He wouldn't play for MFC or Casey again; but would of course get paid as well as, I presume, match fees in lieu.

Scully could then get on with getting settled into Sydney, and getting to know his future team mates etc.

MFC could get on with planning for the draft and next year, and sorting out current players contracts. (I'd bet there are some future contracts/careers hanging on what Scully will do.)

Winners all round I would have thought.

disagree and agree with old.

Whilst there can be a direct comparison between the two (Bock/Scully) - the only difference that needs to be highlighted is the amount of coverage/publicity the Scully issue has recieved - makes the Ablett saga last year look like a 3 line sentence buried in the middle of the paper.

The level of %$%^&*&% that will happen if he signs with GWS will be enormous and is best served up after the end of the season.

We may be happy to pay Sylvia $600k p.a. without scully, but only $350k p.a. with Scully

That's rubbish - we have to offer Tom a sustainable amount that enables us to pay our other required players what they deserve too.

The only argument that stands up is that we'd have $600K/year to look at other players - that's what it's costing us.

If he does leave (I don't believe he will and hope that he doesn't) I'll blame his management.

Do GWS have that much to offer besides money? He will be a rich man whomever he chooses. When he is in his prime he could well be playing in a Grand Final for Melbourne in front of his family and friends or leading GWS to a groundbreaking 8.5 win season for thirty more pieces of silver.

His management have proven they are savvy when it comes to negotiating for a good money offer let's hope they aren't greedy and stupid in sending a bright young prospect to a potential basketcase and wasteland.

That's rubbish - we have to offer Tom a sustainable amount that enables us to pay our other required players what they deserve too.

The only argument that stands up is that we'd have $600K/year to look at other players - that's what it's costing us.

Fair point

If he does leave (I don't believe he will and hope that he doesn't) I'll blame his management.

Do GWS have that much to offer besides money? He will be a rich man whomever he chooses. When he is in his prime he could well be playing in a Grand Final for Melbourne in front of his family and friends or leading GWS to a groundbreaking 8.5 win season for thirty more pieces of silver.

His management have proven they are savvy when it comes to negotiating for a good money offer let's hope they aren't greedy and stupid in sending a bright young prospect to a potential basketcase and wasteland.

Forget his management he has the power to stop this any time he wants; all he has to do is make a decision and tell his management where he wants to play.

I think there will be a lot like me that will never forgive him for what he's done and I doubt that they will shed any tears if he leaves.

This is my opinion and there will be those on here that disagree with it, but we are all entitled to our view aren't we.

Trengove for Captain and Jordie for Vice; in a couple of years that is. These are the guys I want to see representing the club not some Judd "mercenery" clone and to those that say he's not I ask why hasn't he signed?

His management have done whats in the best interest of there client. If Tom said I just want to be at Melbourne he will sign with Melbourne, they will not force his hand either way. They will give both offers and let him decide.

Couldn't care less anymore.... if he goes he goes....

It's like if you were in year 12, you broke up with your misses and were sad for a few months.

But suddenly it's 8 weeks left of school and you just want it to finish so you don't have to see the stupid thing anymore.

Forget his management he has the power to stop this any time he wants; all he has to do is make a decision and tell his management where he wants to play.

I think there will be a lot like me that will never forgive him for what he's done and I doubt that they will shed any tears if he leaves.

This is my opinion and there will be those on here that disagree with it, but we are all entitled to our view aren't we.

Trengove for Captain and Jordie for Vice; in a couple of years that is. These are the guys I want to see representing the club not some Judd "mercenery" clone and to those that say he's not I ask why hasn't he signed?

yes i would appoint trenners as part of generational change, make sure that greeny is sweet with it. this is like bad constipation. if we go bad on sat. night i think it will bring things to a head. will be much more scrutiny of player 31's performances from now on. Go The Mighty Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!

Couldn't care less anymore.... if he goes he goes....

It's like if you were in year 12, you broke up with your misses and were sad for a few months.

But suddenly it's 8 weeks left of school and you just want it to finish so you don't have to see the stupid thing anymore.

Let's hope the current situation ends in a happily married TS and MFC. :):wub:

These are the guys I want to see representing the club not some Judd "mercenery" clone and to those that say he's not I ask why hasn't he signed?

I don't think it's fair to call him a mercenary - he has every right to decide at the end of the year and focus on playing footy as per his current contract.

His management have done whats in the best interest of there client. If Tom said I just want to be at Melbourne he will sign with Melbourne, they will not force his hand either way. They will give both offers and let him decide.

I know, perhaps my post was worded rather glibly, however; surely his management would make a recommendation one way or another which is bound to influence the young man in some way.

If I were his manager I would be saying: "You will be a rich man wherever you play but your chances of success are greater at Melbourne." Added with the fact for a third year player to be a new franchises number one player may not bode well for his own player development.

It is different for players like Taylor Walker and Rhys Palmer who are struggling to play at their current clubs. Callan Ward may also never see that type of cash at the Dogs because of Cooney, Griffen and even Higgins.

yes i would appoint trenners as part of generational change, make sure that greeny is sweet with it. this is like bad constipation. if we go bad on sat. night i think it will bring things to a head. will be much more scrutiny of player 31's performances from now on. Go The Mighty Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!

That's quite true, there has been no mention in the media about his suspect disposal as yet, I don't think anyone wants to be the first to criticise him.

I remember remarking at the Essendon game that his first three possessions were turnovers but the callers were only interested in saying that he had already chalked up three possessions. When he’s on $1m per season the blow torch will be applied, and fiercely too.

I respect your opinion.

My heart 100% understands exactly what you are saying - passionate about the Dees

My head understands where the kid stands professionally and career wise and the total professional career choice AFL is and why what has happened is happening.

Total internal conflict ( dont mention venting my spleen or voiding my bowels)

I don't think it's fair to call him a mercenary - he has every right to decide at the end of the year and focus on playing footy as per his current contract.

He does have every right to decide at the end of the season as do I have the right to consider him a mercenary. As they say, ït is what it is".

I don't know what's been said here as I don't have time to read the 45 pages, and hope this is in the right spot.

That said, I wanted to reply to Eddies "if Scully gets 2 first round picks, we want 4 for Dale Thomas" comment.

Melbourne declined an offer to swap our pick 2 (Trengove) for Port Adelaides picks 8 and 9 just before the 2009 draft. Fact. Furthermore, the 2009 draft had not been pillaged by GWS.

With this being the case, why the hell would we now believe that two late round draft picks were worth our number 1 pick (including the 2 years pay we've given him and work we've put in) when our number 1 is just starting to come good?

Gary Ablett had contributed to his club something when he left at the age of 25 (brownlow / multiple premierships). 25 is the age that free agency will become relevant to players who want to swap clubs for a reason. This age limit is there to protect the struggling clubs lists. What the hell is the point of the draft if all players go where they want from the outset?

Eddie's "Daisy" is very good but not one of the leagues elite as many here, myself included, believe Tom will be. Just to be clear, I wouldn't swap Tom for Daisy.

Who the hell asked that know all his opinion anyhow?

Eddie, go crawl under a rock.

Edited by QueenC
Change of words

Question for Wolfmother?

I love Tom and respect and understand his contract situation, however surely now he knows were he wants to play next year and beyond, he knows the offers by both GWS and MFC but there comes a time when you have to stop beating around the bush/cut to the chase and just at least say ''i'm leaving or'' ''no i will be at Melbourne next year but i will sort out contract details at seasons end as i said i would". Tom will earn huge money at Melbourne next year and beyond and sure too be well setup for life at the MFC. Tom should know the he and the rest of the team have the potential to be a powerhouse in a few years but he is badly needed for some assistance in making that dream hopefully come true. The simple fact of the matter is, this whole situation is tearing both the club and members up because we want our ( Chris Judd/ Nathan Buckley) the of player who may earn superstar status, something Melbourne hasnt had since 1964!!!

I like many really want him to be the next captain.

What Gubby Allen said on the footy show a couple of weeks back is an absolute crock s@#%t. GWS will not win the flag in 2015/16, despite the money they are throwing at players like Scully, Walker, Palmer, Ward, Thomas, Pendlebury etc. and draft picks it wont happen!!!

Powerhouse teams like Collingwood, Hawthorn, Carlton and Geelong all have btw 40 - 70,000 members, Strong sponsors, Strong corprate support, state of the art facilties and rescoures for players and top coaches. GWS will not have any of that, certainly not for a long time anyway!!!!

I think you will find that Scully had the same option put to him & refused it. I think you will also find that Trengove etc did not request the contract extension.It was initiated (and very wisely) by the club.I think you will also see Trengove etc. get another extension offer before the end of 2012.

Yes Scully refused, that is exactly my point. He could have accepted and still gone to GWS next year. As to whether Trengove requested it, fair enough I will give you that. Criticising Trenners was actually not the point here, it was trying to apply the same logic that causes Scully to be so roundly criticised to Trengoves situation. As I said I love Trenners, and in no way do I think that is his motive, just the same as I believe Tom and am willing to give him his right to decide in due course. I was trying (perhaps unsuccessfully) to show how stupid it is to criticise Tom for going about his business as usual in a situation not of his creating. If we are to believe Tom could be so conniving, then what is to say that Trenners isn't equally conniving. Oh, that's right, because he speaks well in the media and someone said he bleeds red n blue. Gimme a break.

He does have every right to decide at the end of the season as do I have the right to consider him a mercenary. As they say, ït is what it is".

You do have a "right" to consider him a mercenary (working, or acting, merely for money or other reward), but that "right" doesn't make it any less an insane view. He has not put himself out to market, he has had this thrust upon him. What is so hard to understand about that. Everyone who knows the kid says how much he loves, and lives for, footy so that instantly rules out use of the word mercenary. Hopefully one day you will realise how ridiculous it is to talk about a kid in this way when he has done nothing to deserve it.

Scully's primary objective is to take care of himself. You shouldn't begrudge him for doing that, and if that means delaying signing anything until the end of the season then so be it.

It's not his job to look after the club. Sure, it would be nice if he signed now and that was that, but he is looking after himself first and foremost, as he (and every other player) has the right to do.

You do have a "right" to consider him a mercenary (working, or acting, merely for money or other reward), but that "right" doesn't make it any less an insane view. He has not put himself out to market, he has had this thrust upon him. What is so hard to understand about that. Everyone who knows the kid says how much he loves, and lives for, footy so that instantly rules out use of the word mercenary. Hopefully one day you will realise how ridiculous it is to talk about a kid in this way when he has done nothing to deserve it.

Sigh!