• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Tom Scully

Rogue

Scully's primary objective is to take care of himself. You shouldn't begrudge him for doing that, and if that means delaying signing anything until the end of the season then so be it.

It's not his job to look after the club. Sure, it would be nice if he signed now and that was that, but he is looking after himself first and foremost, as he (and every other player) has the right to do.

I support the Melbourne Football Club not Tom Scully. I couldn't give a fat rat's whether he stays or goes but I do give a fat rat's if it affects the club. If he's in it for the money, sign with GWS, if he's in it for the mateship and the honour of representing the greatest club in the World, sign with Melbourne.

Stop effing us around and let the club get on with the job of rebuilding, with or without him.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I support the Melbourne Football Club not Tom Scully. I couldn't give a fat rat's whether he stays or goes but I do give a fat rat's if it affects the club. If he's in it for the money, sign with GWS, if he's in it for the mateship and the honour of representing the greatest club in the World, sign with Melbourne.

Stop effing us around and let the club get on with the job of rebuilding, with or without him.

Why?

Many/most of us would like a decision now. But it's not Scully's job to put us, or even the club, first, when signing a contract. It's his job to care for himself first.

Why?

Many/most of us would like a decision now. But it's not Scully's job to put us, or even the club, first, when signing a contract. It's his job to care for himself first.

Then I simply don't want him at the club if that's the case.

You may have a different view and you are entitled to that view, but equally so am I entitled to mine. Just remember your view to me is similar to what my view is to you.

Forget his management he has the power to stop this any time he wants; all he has to do is make a decision and tell his management where he wants to play.

I think there will be a lot like me that will never forgive him for what he's done and I doubt that they will shed any tears if he leaves.

This is my opinion and there will be those on here that disagree with it, but we are all entitled to our view aren't we.

Trengove for Captain and Jordie for Vice; in a couple of years that is. These are the guys I want to see representing the club not some Judd "mercenery" clone and to those that say he's not I ask why hasn't he signed?

We certainly are.

I just wonder what he has 'done' to our club?

It's more what he has done to the fans level of nervousness and worry thatn the planning of the club.

We haven't signed up Sylvia yet, Morton has deferred his contract, we have deferred Bailey's contract - all affect our rebuilding.

And if we are talking about this season - we are not that good to start with. The 'senior' players at the club derailed our season would love to blame their, at times, patheitic displays on the Tom Scully Saga.

Then I simply don't want him at the club if that's the case.

You may have a different view and you are entitled to that view, but equally so am I entitled to mine. Just remember your view to me is similar to what my view is to you.

So, I take it you're of the same opinion as Sylvia, you don't want him either, given the same case of putting talks off to the end of the season ?

And don't tell me the circumstances are somewhat different. Given both have made it clear that all contract related blah, blah, will be handled after the conclusion of the season.

Agree Territory.

Eddie's comments have just made him look stupid.

What the compensation test looks at is their future value. To assess Scully's value you need to make projections about where he will get to at his peak and his future performance level.

What Eddie is looking at is their current impact. Obviously Thomas is having a bigger impact now than Scully, but he has had four more years in the system.

If Eddie wants to compare apples with apples, why doesn't he compare Scully now to Thomas in his second year. Scully is miles ahead on that comparison.

What an ignorant, biased, ridiculous comment by McGuire.

What an ignorant, biased, ridiculous comment by McGuire.

And does anyone really expect anything else from him :rolleyes: ?!!!

Dont disrespect this opinion.

I dont agree with RobbieF's opinion and live in the camp that he has a right to decide his next contract at the end of the season.

But the statement cited constantly that other players have put their contractual situations to bed and he hasnt is none the less valid and where there is a choice to postpone contract talks rather than commit (which he and has management have chosen to do) then the choice leaves itself open to two different views on that decision.

Whilst I dont consider TS mercenary and dont consider this decision all about money - his management has talked about the new players payment scheme - so it is about money. It may not be about getting the most money or a certain amount of money and may only be about a fair amount of money. But since he has delayed his decision when there is another choice and player payments and TV rights has been mentioned then that leaves you open to claims of being mercenary.

I dont believe he will go because I take his press conference at face value - loves coming to work, knows where we are going, wants to be a one club player and he answered questions on how you can turn your back on the big bucks. But I will go on the record and say that if he chooses to head north then he is mercenary and it is about only the money and flies in the face of what he said at his presser. As a passionate Melbourne supporter I will have lost all respect for him being mercenary but as a cool headed business person I will understand his decision to secure his future financially ( ie be financially better off). My problem is that I leave the cool headed business person at home when i head to the G to watch the Dees

So, I take it you're of the same opinion as Sylvia, you don't want him either, given the same case of putting talks off to the end of the season ?

And don't tell me the circumstances are somewhat different. Given both have made it clear that all contract related blah, blah, will be handled after the conclusion of the season.

Has he put them off ? I thought they are talking but are apart on $'s ? I havent heard that they are on hold.

No of course they're not different we've spent nearly as much time talking about Sylvia as we have Scully haven't we? I'm sure that the players are fielding questions about Sylvia all the time and it must be playing on their minds. Well, maybe not.

As I've said we all have our opinions and mine is based on what has transpired as I guess is yours; personally I couldn't give a damn what your opinion is, no offence, so it beats me why you care about mine.

Why?

Agree 100% - but RobbieF is saying that he believes that all players should put the clubs interests more to the forefront and a choice can be made now that would satisfy some footballers wants and satisfy the club and that view as a passionate supporter is not unreasonable and furthermore, some footballers have taken this option - Kreuzer for one - Rejected The GWS offer, taken less money and committed to stay.

(hope I havent put words in your mouth Robbie !!)

I dont agree with Robbies stance but sure as hell understand it.

Edited by nutbean

We certainly are.

It's more what he has done to the fans level of nervousness and worry thatn the planning of the club.

We haven't signed up Sylvia yet, Morton has deferred his contract, we have deferred Bailey's contract - all affect our rebuilding.

And if we are talking about this season - we are not that good to start with. The 'senior' players at the club derailed our season would love to blame their, at times, patheitic displays on the Tom Scully Saga.

If Melbourne pay him $600k or more per year it will have a profound effect on the rest of the players at the club, mark my words.

No of course they're not different we've spent nearly as much time talking about Sylvia as we have Scully haven't we? I'm sure that the players are fielding questions about Sylvia all the time and it must be playing on their minds. Well, maybe not.

As I've said we all have our opinions and mine is based on what has transpired as I guess is yours; personally I couldn't give a damn what your opinion is, no offence, so it beats me why you care about mine.

You said you don't want him at the club if that's the case. I asked you based on that logic, would you have the same opinion as Sylvia ?

It's obviously a 'yes'.

We only care because we hope others don't follow your lead.

And the difference is media pressure?

So Tom has to change his position because Jon Ralph cannot find anything else to write about?

What kind of advice is that to a kid?

"Listen, son. Do what you think is right, for you will be damned if you do, and damned if you don't. But if there is a lot of media interest - all bets are off!! Hurry the frack up!"

Guest hangon007

You're comparing the wrong things ...

If he waits till the end of the season & selects GWS ... all media hell will still break loose.

If he selects GWS now ... twice as much media hell will break loose.

I agree it will be a media [censored]-storm when he does decide at the end of the season, either way. But it will be twice as bad if he decides NOW to go to GWS and announces it. There'll be feral MFC supporters picketing training, demanding he's played in Casey 2s and booing him in the process. That will derail our season much worse than if we wait patiently.

Mate I hear you. But "hell" is "hell" ... their is only one way to overt "hell."

The alternative sits in front of you now ... you only have to say ... three little words.

Delay and either way your are opening yourself up to further character assassination, rumours, innuendo & media speculation.

Delay and sign with GWS let me guess what the media will write. Wont be pretty for Tom or the MFC ... especially if we lose another team mate he cares about, a chance to make a bonus finals series or a coach.

Funniest thing is delay and sign for MFC you cant guarantee no further character assassination, rumours, innuendo & media speculation.

See the common word "DELAY" ... You have an option all you have to say I've changed my mind. I'm a team man. Lets get on with the game no more distractions from me.

Edited by hangon007

Has he put them off ? I thought they are talking but are apart on $'s ? I havent heard that they are on hold.

I heard initial discussions determined differences which supports what you have heard. At the same time I heard (SEN) a week or two ago briefly it intimated that it will be re-visited later in season/after season to arrive at an agreement.

The obvious difference is Sylvia has not been offered $1million/year. He hasn't been made an offer that our club cannot match by another club who can take him for free without us having to negotiate a trade with them.

Scully has been offered more than we can afford by a club who can take him for free without negotiating a trade. We have told him the maximum amount we can afford to pay to keep him so there really isn't any room to negotiate further. He knows what we can afford and that is now on the table. If he wants to stay that's what he gets take it or leave it. I would have thought a 20 year old kid just finishing his second year in the system would be more than happy getting $600K/year and would want to ensure he was not bending the club over backwards to try and extort an extra $50 or $100K out of the club as this may lead to the club losing another valuable player down the track and compromising Scully's ability to play in a successful team.

If you can't see the difference bhetween Scully & Sylvia/Watts etc then that really is ridiculous.

By the same token in years gone by the club has been bent over by Green, Davey & Bruce amongst others no doubt. Were they worth it? Or would we have been better off playing hardball, cutting our losses and trying to build a team of players who are willing to sacrifice to get the ultimate prize and who are willing to put the club ahead of themselves. I mean geez it's not like these guys will be begging in the streets. Scully will be making more money in 3-4 years at MFC than a lot of people can make their entire working lives. This is not to mention the cash he will earn in the subsequent contracts, sponsorships and endorsements and jobs he is able to get post his footy career.

I think the club and supporters have been very patient and supportive so far but I think Tom should probably look at the offer and do the right thing by the club instead of just dragging this out and delaying the process even more. The way it's going now he is in a no-win situation (other than the cash coming his way). Sign with GWS at the end of the year and he is a mercenary with no respect in the football world. Sign with the MFC at the end of the year and the question will be "why could this have not been done sooner?"

Guest hangon007

Think Swabby answered these two points before

a/ His concern was partly for Tom getting affect by the intense media pressure he currently now is under.

Re signing other players

b/ Think its called the Domino Principle in and around trading period ... generally one "deal" hold the others up.

Yeah we are not that good we are still in with a legitimate chance to make the finals maybe 1-2 years before our time. (Our run home is just too good to believe with a nearing full list by the day.) Massive financial stimulus via both memberships & sponsorships. Mate take it when you can get it.

Edited by hangon007

So Tom has to change his position because Jon Ralph cannot find anything else to write about?

"Listen, son. Do what you think is right, for you will be damned if you do, and damned if you don't. But if there is a lot of media interest - all bets are off!! Hurry the frack up!"

The crucial difference in opinion lies in the belief in this statement

"the club is bigger than the individual ( and /members of the club must live by this statement) " - I dont believe this and havent for a fair while.

I believe - "the clubs and the individuals within the club aims and aspirations need to both be the same and if they are they should be met".

It may sound a bit new world - but there are now two sides to every contract negotiation and every timeline and the club doesnt come first - its give and take on both sides and so much is dependent on demand and supply - We have put Bails contract extension on hold because we can - Mortons is on hold because both Club and player probably want that - and Scully's decision is on hold because he can.

This is the way of the world.

You said you don't want him at the club if that's the case. I asked you based on that logic, would you have the same opinion as Sylvia ?

It's obviously a 'yes'.

HT if you can't tell the difference then I'm not even going to bother trying to explain it to you.

Why do you have a problem with differing views?

Edited by RobbieF

The obvious difference is Sylvia has not been offered $1million/year. He hasn't been made an offer that our club cannot match by another club who can take him for free without us having to negotiate a trade with them.

If you can't see the difference bhetween Scully & Sylvia/Watts etc then that really is ridiculous.

Of course I know what the obvious differences and circumstances are between Scully and Sylvia.

My point was putting those aside, would RF have the same opinion in not wanting Sylvia at the club because of pushing out the negotiation/contract talks until season's end, as is in Scully's case ?

The monetary value difference is obvious to everyone.

HT if you can't tell the difference then I'm not even going to bother trying to explain it to you.

Why do you have a problem with differing views?

Sigh! (see above) Really, it was a simple question.

Ps. I don't have a problem with differing views or opinions.

I thought you said you were more intelligent than that?