Tom Scully

Rogue

As if. There were plenty of nervous nelles at Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, etc.

Very true.

But they wouldn't be completely consumed with EVERY new rumour that they came across - including a far-fetched LOST-like conspiracy surrounding Eddie McGuire, 4 years, and our own inadequacies.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "whisper" is that Scully not happy with direction of club.I am wondering exactly what about the 'direction' is being referred to. Is it about the coach, is it a rumour is it baseless. At the end of the day, supporting the Dees is a victory of faith. When I see what belief Jimmy Stynes has instilled into the club combined with our great playing list I have great confidence in our direction. We have other clubs seeking to mimic our debt demolition strategy: Footscray, Port Adelaide, Richmond, but can they emulate what we achieved? When Grimes, Tapscott, Jamar, Bail and Davey are fit, whose place do they take? That is the true picture of where we are at.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/has-seaford-given-the-saints-a-sinking-feeling/story-e6frf9jf-1226079424137

Whilst I can't say for sure that Tom won't go to GWS, what I do know is that the direction of the club is not an issue for Tom. Nor is the Coach or mid field coach ,both of whom he speaks extremely highly of according to people who should know. He has many mates at the club, being especially close to Nathan Jones, amongst others. Based on the conversations I have had with people who have known Tom for a long time, since Narre Warren days, I have always been confident he will stay. No amount of media beat up since has swayed me from that view.

Whilst I can't say for sure that Tom won't go to GWS, what I do know is that the direction of the club is not an issue for Tom. Nor is the Coach or mid field coach ,both of whom he speaks extremely highly of according to people who should know. He has many mates at the club, being especially close to Nathan Jones, amongst others. Based on the conversations I have had with people who have known Tom for a long time, since Narre Warren days, I have always been confident he will stay. No amount of media beat up since has swayed me from that view.

When i spoke to Jack Grimes earlier in the year he basically said scully wouldnt leave becasue he was a mummy's boy (not in those words). He said from his perspective Scully was very happy at the dees, and that he couldnt imagine that he'd go to GWS for any amount of money, becasue he gets homesick and loves his family too much - he left the china trip because he was homesick so he'd struggle moving to NSW.

Guest Artie Bucco

How about "the Buzz" in the herald sun today?

IS SCULLY HAPPY?

The whispering campaign has already started that Tom Scully is worried about more than just cash.

The story goes that Scully doesn't believe he can be his best at Melbourne and is worried about the direction of the club.

Even club great Garry Lyon said on Saturday the club needed to do everything it could to satisfy Scully and ensure money was the only factor for him considering departing.

But when the Buzz spoke to Scully on Sunday after his 26-touch game, he couldn't have been more emphatically behind coach Dean Bailey.

"Dean has been exceptional with the way he's handled himself,'' he gushed.

Who knows where the truth lies?

The only certainty is that Scully's decision will be dragged out until season's end.

How about taking the kid's word over wild rumours with no evidence to back them up?

That'd be a good start.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/has-seaford-given-the-saints-a-sinking-feeling/story-e6frf9jf-1226079424137

Nutbean,

Well, no. Ablett did indeed go to GC17. As a 10 year player, with a Brownlow, two premierships, a fight with his previous coach, a sense of job-well-done at Geelong, and a golden chance at a superannuated juicy payday, he obviously did rate GC17 as a better prospect than Geelong.

On the other hand, Kreuzer & Scully, two gun players of similar pedigree and experience, have their whole careers in front of them. Kreuzer rates the West Sydney Ramraiders a worse prospect than Carlton. Will Scully rate Melbourne a worst prospect than the West Sydney Ramraiders (or one of the big Melbourne clubs)?

I think we need to call a spade a spade - anyone who leaves their club to go to GC17 or GWS does not rate their old club better or worse - they have rated the pay packet at the new clubs a whooolllleee lot better. Ablett can talk about lifestyle, acheiving everything, a new start at an exciting club but the bottom line is, had the pay packet not been substantially better from GC17 he never would have moved.

I think we need to call a spade a spade - anyone who leaves their club to go to GC17 or GWS does not rate their old club better or worse - they have rated the pay packet at the new clubs a whooolllleee lot better. Ablett can talk about lifestyle, acheiving everything, a new start at an exciting club but the bottom line is, had the pay packet not been substantially better from GC17 he never would have moved.

spot on. A player will either be loyal or he will go where the better money is. I dont think there's much grey area here.

The question that remains unanswered is whether Scully is loyal or whether he'll take the cash. Lots of good reasons both for and against, but the longer the whole thing plays out the more likley it is that money is a major factor for him.

Exception being Michael Rischitelli

The question that remains unanswered is whether Scully is loyal or whether he'll take the cash. Lots of good reasons both for and against, but the longer the whole thing plays out the more likley it is that money is a major factor for him.

Explain this logic.

spot on. A player will either be loyal or he will go where the better money is. I dont think there's much grey area here.

you had me right up until "but the longer the whole thing plays out the more likley it is that money is a major factor for him."

Last August we were told what timetable he would like to work to - nothing has changed. Nothing is going on longer......

Exception being Michael Rischitelli

Did Rischitelli take smaller $'s to go to GC17 than was offered by the Lions ? I wasnt aware of that.

Certainly Campbell Brown was most unhappy about being put up for trade by the Hawks the year before but he did say that he was offered significantly more money to go GC17

Edit - I know I am guilty of quoting they very refuse who i have constantly been saying to others to take no notice of HOWEVER ( lol)

Courier mail september 10, 2010

"Bottom line is he was made a fairytale offer by the Gold Coast after being put up as trade bait by the Lions last year and decided to leave. As much as all the boys at the Lions desperately wanted to keep him we understand sometimes this happens.

A lot of AFL players would have been tempted by the big money offer. He's only human. It's always a factor in any contract decision."

Edited by nutbean

Did Rischitelli take smaller $'s to go to GC17 than was offered by the Lions ? I wasnt aware of that.

Certainly Campbell Brown was most unhappy about being put up for trade by the Hawks the year before but he did say that he was offered significantly more money to go GC17

Had a massive falling out with Voss as well over some stuff IIRC.

Edited by Striker475

But they wouldn't be completely consumed with EVERY new rumour that they came across - including a far-fetched LOST-like conspiracy surrounding Eddie McGuire, 4 years, and our own inadequacies.

That's an empirical claim that's hard to test.

However, I think at least a couple would have, just like only a couple of Melbourne supporters embrace the crazy.

Had a massive falling out with Voss as well over some stuff IIRC.

I think that most coaches have to make hard calls but it is interesting to hear how scathing Bradshaw has been over Voss's handling of his situation. Maybe Voss doesn't handle the hard calls or difficult conversations as well as other coaches.

I have no insight if Rischitelli would have switched to GC17 for the same money as the Lions offered ( re your fall out comment) but the article does suggest there was a lot more money offered for him to move.

Probably the only one who didnt move for big money was Josh Fraser who was happy just to get a lifeline.

Edited by nutbean

Ralphy is a tool- he was watching footy classified the other night and decided he'd start a fantastic rumour about Tom's uncertainty over the club's direction because he has nothing else to put in his pathetic wednesday column. Searching for a story- whenever these ridiculous rumours start, it's generally Ralph who runs with them, when all other self-respecting journalists steer clear. The guy's a nothing journalist.

But seriously, HOW THE [censored] DID RICHMOND EVEN BECOME A POSSIBLE DESTINATION FOR TOM? Who brought them into the frame?

But seriously, HOW THE [censored] DID RICHMOND EVEN BECOME A POSSIBLE DESTINATION FOR TOM? Who brought them into the frame?

We did. On this board.

This is what I mean, Rogue. We have actual rumours, created by Gubby Allan at GWS and then we compound it by making up our own out of thin air surrounding Tom leaving and our own inadequacies about our club compared to other Melbourne clubs.

Who does that?

I was just having lunch at a cafe and looked up at the tv and saw Scully highlights. After that Alister Lynch was discussing something. The volume was off so I have no idea what was being said. It was Fox Sports news, anyone catch it?

Noticed that this has been the common theme from just about everyone who claims to know people close to the Scully camp

Explain this logic.

my quote; The question that remains unanswered is whether Scully is loyal or whether he'll take the cash. Lots of good reasons both for and against, but the longer the whole thing plays out the more likley it is that money is a major factor for him.

I never said the longer the whole thing plays out the more likley it is that Scully will go to GWS. IMO the only thing gained by not putting pen to paper now is a better offer from melbourne, which would indcate that money is a major factor for him when making his decison. Thats not to say that he might have to comprimise after weighing up all factors, and decide to stay with the dee's.

The reasons it is slightly concerning for me though, is that if money plays any more than a minor factor in his decision then he coudnt posibly pass up the $$ that GWS are offering.

You may niot agree with my logic but there you go

Also, do you log out and back sign in as Artie?! - becasue you fellas seem to come to each others side every time there is any sort of disagreement on opinions at demonland!