A Call To Arms

Range Rover

It strikes me that we are bereft of real leadership at the moment. As much as I love Greeny, what a great servant of the club he has been, he is not the man to lead the club on field and off going into 2012. Let him enjoy his final twilight year or two without this pressure.

And Beamer? He is a good player, a warrior and the type of lieutenant you'd want by your side in the trenches. But he is not, in my view, a marshaller of troops, a person who can inspire with their words as well as their actions.

No, there is an opportunity here for one of the young brigade, one of the top line talents we have on our list, to emerge and take this club forward to the promised land. A young leader with a burning desire for success and that indefinable quality which inspires others to have confidence in themselves.

Will it be you Jack Watts? Pilloried and mocked as a Brighton Grammar blue blood in in your first couple of seasons, yet now showing signs of what a great player you could become.

Will it be you Jack Trengove? Moved interstate without complaint and stated your love for the the Dees and desire to be a one club man. Only 20yo yet already attacking contests ferociously, complementing your sublime skills.

Will it be you Tom Scully? I smell an opportunity here for you to become a lifelong hero of the Melbourne Football Club. Could it be you that steps up to the dais to collect our first premiership cup in 50 years?

Will it be you Jack Grimes? Or perhaps you Mark 'Russian' Jamar? Who among you is going to take up this challenge and emerge as the club's true leader? Our Voss? Our Hodge? Our Judd? Our Kirk?

"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path ... and leave a trail".

I can see Jack Trengove being a Future Captain

hard at it , consistent, speaks well looks the complete package to me.

He is one of a number of very impressive youngsters we have that could end up with the job. The way he handles the media is also most impressive and he certainly gets exposure. We really do have a lot of good young blokes that will present an opposite problem to the one we have now.

Sill I would like to think a well behaved Moloney could do the job for a few years. He with Jones have been the on field leaders this season. Colin Garland is a bit of a smokey for mine.

If the position of Coach is to be reviewed at year end then so should the leadership positions.

On performances to date, I am not sure Brad Green, Davey and Rivers are in the rightful positions on the leadership group. While I would have Green in the leadership group, I am not sure about the others.

The captain for 2012 is a vexing one if the incumbent it to be replaced. We have a swathe of youngsters who I think could be good future captains for MFC in particular Grimes, Trengove, Frawley, Watts. However they would not be readty for the baptism of fire in 2012.

Despite his off field stupidity earlier this year, I am warming to Moloney as Captain. But he is not a perfect choice. Yeah I know he bleeds red and blue (what ever that really means and which players dont bleed it!!) but he's a player whose decision making is not as good as his passion and he goes missing in critical games after looking the goods against weaker sides. But its a year by year proposition until one of the younger brigade shows their leadership colours more prominently

Jones's decision making and disposal is worse that Beamers for mine and once our midfield matures I wonder how he will maintain his role. And I would rather let Sylvia let his football talk consistently for him. Not a captain for mine. And Jamar should be let to focus on his game and does not from my witnessing seem to be a natural leader of the players. But I admire the Russian for what he has done for his game.

Melbourne is still rebuilding...Melbourne need to appoint a captain that will be around for 10+ years....our leadership issues are huge at melbourne...

If I had to pick our future captain today...It would be Trengove (possibly Good Times Grimes)

Beamer does most of the revving up at the breaks.

That tells you something.

Not only does Green not do much of it, he doesn't feel comfortable to get Beamer to shut up so Brad can at least fake a rev up.

I'm really sorry to any person from the club reading this but, if Dean Bailey goes it will partly due to the ineptitude of his 'leaders' and the inability of Green to inspire consistent effort from himself and his teammates, and his body language is Robertson-like.

If Dean goes, so does the Leadership group and Leading Teams don't get paid this time.

The new coach can decide who the team should look up to, not who they do look up to.

Not only does Green not do much of it, he doesn't feel comfortable to get Beamer to shut up so Brad can at least fake a rev up.

I'm really sorry to any person from the club reading this but, if Dean Bailey goes it will partly due to the ineptitude of his 'leaders' and the inability of Green to inspire consistent effort from himself and his teammates, and his body language is Robertson-like.

If Dean goes, so does the Leadership group and Leading Teams don't get paid this time.

The new coach can decide who the team should look up to, not who they do look up to.

I'm with you there on Leading Teams. Absolute psycho-babble nonsense.

A coach should choose the captain of his side. Someone who fits his vision of where the club should head.

We must get this decision right !!

I think the young group we commonly mention as future leaders are not yet ready to Captain. We need someone capable of holding down the gig for a little while, and unless that person turned out to be outstanding we'd want to move the captaincy on within a few years. If we choose someone around Moloney's age to warm the seat that could be awkward when/if we decide to give it to a younger guy a little later.

It strikes me that we are bereft of real leadership at the moment. As much as I love Greeny, what a great servant of the club he has been, he is not the man to lead the club on field and off going into 2012. Let him enjoy his final twilight year or two without this pressure.

And Beamer? He is a good player, a warrior and the type of lieutenant you'd want by your side in the trenches. But he is not, in my view, a marshaller of troops, a person who can inspire with their words as well as their actions.

No, there is an opportunity here for one of the young brigade, one of the top line talents we have on our list, to emerge and take this club forward to the promised land. A young leader with a burning desire for success and that indefinable quality which inspires others to have confidence in themselves.

Will it be you Jack Watts? Pilloried and mocked as a Brighton Grammar blue blood in in your first couple of seasons, yet now showing signs of what a great player you could become.

Will it be you Jack Trengove? Moved interstate without complaint and stated your love for the the Dees and desire to be a one club man. Only 20yo yet already attacking contests ferociously, complementing your sublime skills.

Will it be you Tom Scully? I smell an opportunity here for you to become a lifelong hero of the Melbourne Football Club. Could it be you that steps up to the dais to collect our first premiership cup in 50 years?

Will it be you Jack Grimes? Or perhaps you Mark 'Russian' Jamar? Who among you is going to take up this challenge and emerge as the club's true leader? Our Voss? Our Hodge? Our Judd? Our Kirk?

"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path ... and leave a trail".

We need a warrior for 2 Years to knock this Bruise Free footy out of this club. Stuff this Political Correctness crap. No Diplomats here.

Beamer for 2 Years will set the new tone for the following Captain to Lead from...

Even Neita took a couple of years to grow into the role, from 2002 on he was an on field collosus.

We need to give Brad time, he'll get there, and will be aided significantly by the natural increase in maturity of players like Trengove, Watts, Scully, Grimes, Gysberts, McKenzie & Frawley.

Trengove is certainly a future leader - he's talented, courageous, intelligent and would be a great representative of the club. Moloney -- bless him as he is a heart and soul player - is almost as thick as you rpfc.

Even Neita took a couple of years to grow into the role, from 2002 on he was an on field collosus.

We need to give Brad time, he'll get there, and will be aided significantly by the natural increase in maturity of players like Trengove, Watts, Scully, Grimes, Gysberts, McKenzie & Frawley.

Neita never had the same amount of talent coming through as Green does now...I don't think Melbounre or Green can afford to take the same amount of time.

I like what the hawks have done...Hodge has become the captain after Mitchell.

get Beamer to shut up

not the first time i have read something like this from you and i have it say it is one of the most footy-idiotic (footyodic?) things I have ever read

if you have ever been part of a football team you will know that there are a certain few at every club who keep all the talk up... these are recognised as important cogs in the side as they lift the others to new levels, it doesnt get much more fundamental a concpet than that.. why on Earth would you bag someone like Beamer for being that guy, particularly since he is a lifelong Demon supporter and obviously loves the club

i tell you what i would have a lot to say if i was in that huddle

not the first time i have read something like this from you and i have it say it is one of the most footy-idiotic (footyodic?) things I have ever read

if you have ever been part of a football team you will know that there are a certain few at every club who keep all the talk up... these are recognised as important cogs in the side as they lift the others to new levels, it doesnt get much more fundamental a concpet than that.. why on Earth would you bag someone like Beamer for being that guy, particularly since he is a lifelong Demon supporter and obviously loves the club

i tell you what i would have a lot to say if i was in that huddle

Absolutely know where you are coming from and I should have expanded on that point about Beamer 'shutting up.' I have expanded in the past.

If your captain needs help reaching players and being seen as a leader (I would say that Green would be the perfect example of this) then you need one voice (his) at the breaks to listen to.

It is the domain of the Captain in my view, and not a slight on Beamer at all, if anything, it is a sign that he is the true leader of the group.

The point I am making is that you can either act like a captain, and make sure that others aren't doing your duties, or you can give the captaincy away.

In my personal team the former has happened and we allow the captain 'the one voice' at the Hawks the latter has happened - Mitchell stepped aside for Hodge.

Green has to pick one because at the moment he is in the unhappy middle and it is not helping his captaincy.

Edited by rpfc