Stefan Martin

Dunn's a right footer, are you thinking of Bate? Either way I don't think he's a viable back up ruck.

Gawn is a poor kick which is hardly a surprise. But he'll work on it and kicking is a ruckmans least worries. Priorities are hit outs, marks, winning contested ball and making good options with the footy which is generally a handball.

Yeah ,Dunn on the right sorry ,but he gets caught running straight too .

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just cannot reconcile this.

We have an elite ruckman who happens to be a B grade FP/FF.

And we are going to play him as a B grade FP/FF?

Love Martin, yay for him, but it is up to him to develop some presence in the forward line because he will spend more time there than Jamar.

Your assuming Jamar can't become an A-Grade forward.

To date- Martins best position seems to be ruck. He can't dominate anywhere else as well. And hasn't.

Jamar can take a very good contested mark...just thinking it would be good for beamer to put a few down his throat for a change!

Your assuming Jamar can't become an A-Grade forward.

To date- Martins best position seems to be ruck. He can't dominate anywhere else as well. And hasn't.

Jamar can take a very good contested mark...just thinking it would be good for beamer to put a few down his throat for a change!

We have an AA ruckman.

And we are going to play him in the forward line?

Having said that, we might go with the 'lazy Jamar' option of having Jamar in for the bounces and Martin rucking around the ground.

I wouldn't be surprised if we do something like this at least a bit of the time.

I wouldn't be surprised if we do something like this at least a bit of the time.

I'd like to see Bailey try it in patches during the second half of the year. Give Stef first crack and throw the big Russian into the square. Would really set the cat amongst the pidgeons, change the mix down there and quite possibly bring forward like Jurrah, Watts, Howe and Petterd into the game more. I think Jurrah especially would love it.

Edited by Range Rover

it's great Martin is playing well while Jamar is out injured! Lets hope Martin's fantastic form continues...with or without jamar...in the near future...I hope baliey enjoys the challenge of making them work both together!

Jamar was named on the bench in the all australian side pal. So he is not an all australian ruckmann

Nah, he was an all australian back pocket.

What the hell do you think he was selected as? Wait...it couldnt be as a ruckman could it?

He is AN all australian ruckman. Not THE all australian ruckman.

Nah, he was an all australian back pocket.

What the hell do you think he was selected as? Wait...it couldnt be as a ruckman could it?

He is AN all australian ruckman. Not THE all australian ruckman.

Maybe they just thought he'd be really good at sitting on the bench?

Martin is a quandry. I don't think he is a forward, can play as a defender but as a ruckman plays as another follower, and he plays this role very well.

I think he is a first ruck or a defender/second or third ruck.

I guess he will get another chance to play forward when Jamar comes back and we will see what he can do there with his new form.

It's def. going to be interesting how we structure up when Jamar gets back. Obviously Martin has stepped up with increase playing time and relishes being 1st ruck. Jamar also plays his best as 1st ruck.

While Jamar has always been a good contested mark, Jamar to the forward line will tank faster then David Hale to FF. Playing an opposition ruck in the fwd 50 is different to playing a genuine FB. He should reclaim 1st ruck as he is the better tap ruckman.

Well at least its a better problem then no rucks which we thought 3 weeks ago.

Edited by jacey

Jamar was named on the bench in the all australian side pal. So he is not an all australian ruckmann

what a load of rubbish

its an "interchange" bench. The whole 22 will spend time there

there were only 2 ruckmen selected in the 22

he is an AA ruckman, no doubt

jamar should be our stay at home forward...martin should play majority of the ruck...Martin doesn't fit into our defence and forward line. Jamar is very capable of playing in the forward line and taking contested marks. I believe he once kicked 5 or so against the blues years back.

When martin wants a reset he can go onto the bench. Jamar from the goal square to ruck...bring someone off the bench intot he forward line....Just one of many approaches.

I like what your saying. As good as jamar is as a ruckman, we need a big strong full forward that can take huge pack marks. He learnt how to be a great ruckman, maybe he can learn how to be an even better fullforward. Martin is looking the goods in the ruck, he covers ground and racks up possies. With gawn coming into the side in the next few years, jamar could be just what we need at fullforward. He is a better mark than neitz.

Yes i read that article at lunch today....I had no idea he had worked so hard over summer. A credit to himself.

What is the compulsion some feel to turn our AA ruckman into a FP?

It's massive assault and battery of Peter to pay Paul.

But with the emergence of Martin the charges may just get dropped to a misdemeanour on appeal, Peter gets off with a suspended sentence and Paul is home free ...

Sometimes you got to take a risk. The nightmare opposition headache of Jamar in the square brings other forwards into the game and suddenly we look potent.

If it works and Martin continues to fire, I reckon we play finals.

Edited by Range Rover

But with the emergence of Martin the charges may just get dropped to a misdemeanour on appeal, Peter gets off with a suspended sentence and Paul is home free ...

Sometimes you got to take a risk. The nightmare opposition headache of Jamar in the square brings other forwards into the game and suddenly we look potent.

If it works and Martin continues to fire, I reckon we play finals.

And it all breaks down when we play finals because who does everyone think is going to ruck most of the time in the finals?

It will be Jamar and so it should, he is one of the best ruckmen in the league, and is a Premiership quality first-ruck.

And it all breaks down when we play finals because who does everyone think is going to ruck most of the time in the finals?

It will be Jamar and so it should, he is one of the best ruckmen in the league, and is a Premiership quality first-ruck.

He became a premiership quality first ruck over the course of last season. Can Martin not do or go close to doing the same? He took apart Hille, Bellchambers and Ryder on Friday night. No slouches any of them.

That's not to say Jamar needs to stay there the whole game. He could ruck 30-50% of the game himself.

It may or may not work, but surely worth a shot? With our midfield returning to form and a big target down there to compliment Jurrah and co, I think we can take down some big scalps.

Edited by Range Rover

He became a premiership quality first ruck over the course of last season. Can Martin not do or go close to doing the same? He took apart Hille, Bellchambers and Ryder on Friday night. No slouches any of them.

That's not to say Jamar needs to stay there the whole game. He could ruck 30-50% of the game himself.

It may or may not work, but surely worth a shot? With our midfield returning to form and a big target down there to compliment Jurrah and co, I think we can take down some big scalps.

I love Martin. You are expecting more than should be expected of him. Jamar's 'J curve' wasn't as steep as you would like Martin's to be - it's unfair on Stefan.

If he wants a long term gig, he knows (as he intimated in that article) that he has to be versatile and develop a presence in the forward line.

Jamar is our first ruck, he is taking our midfield on a armchair ride to the top 4 if they want to go and I think the club will move Jamar forward more but he will still be in the ruck predominantly, especially against the better teams.

If martin continues to dominate the ruck, why not ease jamar back into the side by playing at ff. He might just be what we need. we are screaming for a big strong talented focal point. It would straighten us up and allow our talented mids to drive long and direct with confidence.

If martin continues to dominate the ruck, why not ease jamar back into the side by playing at ff. He might just be what we need. we are screaming for a big strong talented focal point. It would straighten us up and allow our talented mids to drive long and direct with confidence.

+1 Wattsy, Jurrah and Howe would run amok with Russian down there!

Guest DeesPower

I like what your saying. As good as jamar is as a ruckman, we need a big strong full forward that can take huge pack marks. He learnt how to be a great ruckman, maybe he can learn how to be an even better fullforward. Martin is looking the goods in the ruck, he covers ground and racks up possies. With gawn coming into the side in the next few years, jamar could be just what we need at fullforward. He is a better mark than neitz.

Big call. DN was a great mark on the lead. Maybe the Russian is a better pack mark, and I guess that is where we fall down. Watts, Green, Jurrah are all good marks on the lead and elite kicks for goal, and Howe is showing promise in that direction also. It will be interesting to see how this is balanced out. If we can get the Russian to be really effective in the goalsquare, and get Stef Martin to continue his great form in the ruck and around the ground, and have Jamar play 30-40% on the ball, then this would indeed represent a huge leap forward for the team, and one that all other teams would find very difficult to match up on. Jurrah as the third tall forward would be an absolute nightmare for opposition backs (as Leigh Matthews mentioned in the commentary on Friday night)

Edited by DeesPower