Stefan Martin

Guest DeesPower

But with the emergence of Martin the charges may just get dropped to a misdemeanour on appeal, Peter gets off with a suspended sentence and Paul is home free ...

Sometimes you got to take a risk. The nightmare opposition headache of Jamar in the square brings other forwards into the game and suddenly we look potent.

If it works and Martin continues to fire, I reckon we play finals.

Agree. I reckon it is that significant too

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't mind seeing Jamar spending more time up forward and focusing on around the ground ruck contests, purely for the fact he's coming off a knee injury and reducing his work load woudn't hurt. At least for the rest of this year anyway.

I just cannot reconcile this.

We have an elite ruckman who happens to be a B grade FP/FF.

And we are going to play him as a B grade FP/FF?

Love Martin, yay for him, but it is up to him to develop some presence in the forward line because he will spend more time there than Jamar.

I know you can't reconcile it...but It's called coaching...read the comments from baliey.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/116221/default.aspx

taken from the article.

With back-up ruckman Stefan Martin performing impressively in Jamar's absence, Bailey predicted the returning star could be used in the Demons' forward line, which could combine for only 10 marks inside 50 during the 88-point loss to Collingwood on Monday.

"He's that bigger player in the goal square as a long target for us, which we're missing at the moment," Bailey said.

"He gives us a long target. He's a very good mark."

I know you can't reconcile it...but It's called coaching...read the comments from baliey.

Snap?

Nah, it isn't good enough.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/116221/default.aspx

taken from the article.

With back-up ruckman Stefan Martin performing impressively in Jamar's absence, Bailey predicted the returning star could be used in the Demons' forward line, which could combine for only 10 marks inside 50 during the 88-point loss to Collingwood on Monday.

"He's that bigger player in the goal square as a long target for us, which we're missing at the moment," Bailey said.

"He gives us a long target. He's a very good mark."

It's desperation, and it is understandable. Our forward line isn't functioning, and it isn't get enough of the footy down there anyway.

Jamar can play there while he is underdone and easing back into footy, but don't fool yourself into thinking that Martin will ruck ahead of Jamar when he is fully fit.

Jamar can play there while he is underdone and easing back into footy, but don't fool yourself into thinking that Martin will ruck ahead of Jamar when he is fully fit.

Good to see you come around.

the best ruck combo going around at the moment is Cox and NicNat...wat makes them so good is they work together...constantly applying pressure to opposition ruckman...you can argue cox is better but a soon as he's resting your up against NicNat...We need martin and jamar to become a similar force. When have you seen a ruckman be unhappy about sitting in the goal square for a period of the game?

Good to see you come around.

the best ruck combo going around at the moment is Cox and NicNat...wat makes them so good is they work together...constantly applying pressure to opposition ruckman...you can argue cox is better but a soon as he's resting your up against NicNat...We need martin and jamar to become a similar force. When have you seen a ruckman be unhappy about sitting in the goal square for a period of the game?

It's usually the back-up ruck who is unhappy because the coaches put the first ruck in for the most time.

Yay for us, we have a good combo. Right there with you and blind Fred.

I'm not for making Jamar a permanent or '70%' forward when he fully fit.

He is an AA ruckman, gives our mids an armchair ride and should continue to do so when right to go.

Guest Thomo

Firstly, I don't think this should happen, but would Melbourne consider trading Martin at the end of the year?

When Jamar comes back, Martin will move to second ruck, and most likely have to play forward where he has struggled. He may also be in a similar situation to Jolly when he was at Melbourne, and might want more opportunity.

Melbourne may consider that they have very good young ruck stock in Gawn Spencer and Fitzpatrick. (two with knee problems and one with glandular fever, so I have some doubts). But if Melbourne think that they are confident that at least two of these will develop into genuine dominant ruckman, they may consider Martin as surplus going forward. GWS will need a semi developed ruckman rather than an 18 year old that will take 4 years to play at AFL level. I can see Martin having huge appeal to them, so a very good draft pick could be traded. I think that after the last few games he has proven that he can carry the number one ruck position, and has time to improve.

Again, I don't think Melbourne should trade him, but might have good currency at trade time.

Firstly, I don't think this should happen, but would Melbourne consider trading Martin at the end of the year?

When Jamar comes back, Martin will move to second ruck, and most likely have to play forward where he has struggled. He may also be in a similar situation to Jolly when he was at Melbourne, and might want more opportunity.

Melbourne may consider that they have very good young ruck stock in Gawn Spencer and Fitzpatrick. (two with knee problems and one with glandular fever, so I have some doubts). But if Melbourne think that they are confident that at least two of these will develop into genuine dominant ruckman, they may consider Martin as surplus going forward. GWS will need a semi developed ruckman rather than an 18 year old that will take 4 years to play at AFL level. I can see Martin having huge appeal to them, so a very good draft pick could be traded. I think that after the last few games he has proven that he can carry the number one ruck position, and has time to improve.

Again, I don't think Melbourne should trade him, but might have good currency at trade time.

In a word NO.

Also Gawn is over his 'knee problem', Spencer's could happen to any player and Fitzpatrick had Chronic Fatigue, so your facts are a bit out, but also Bailey wants versatility, so Martin if and when Jamar comes back could turn out to be the biggest winger you have ever seen, spare defender, statue in the goal square etc etc....the others will be the same....at Casey at the moment they have young Tom McDonald playing forward, back and ruck and I have spoken to him he loves the challenges it will be the same with the rest.....we will have versatile cover for any situation

Edited by satyricon

Jamar can play there while he is underdone and easing back into footy

+1

It's not like we haven't played Jamar deep plenty of times before.

It doesn't mean we're turning him into a permanent forward who helps out in the ruck.

Guest Thomo

Must be on the GWS Radar. He has proven that he can be the number one ruckman, and rapidly improving. Would be the right age to recruit.

Hopefully he doesn’t have the same feelings Jolly had and is happy to sit behind Jamar.

Did you see Dustin's game against the BL last night? Amazing....

Must admit I did miss that one, so can't comment on last night, but Stef was pretty awesome too.

Great suggestion. We spend 4 years building someone up to trade them. you must be a genius.

Why not try the Experience forward?

He did well when he pushed forward vs BL - took a couple of grabs. With the confidence and form he has, going up forward as another target next to an on-fire Watts and LJ is going to stretch a lot of defences.

*eats hat*

Was his best by miles.

I still don't like it when he's on the end of a link up in the middle. But his work rate is second to none.

That trengove handball over the top was just pure work rate, gave the freo kid a lesson I thought.

I'm thinking DB must be on Demonland reading post incognito or something!

I posted on here about two or three weeks ago that Martin should be played forward more on Jamar's return, It was great to see Gawndog start in the ruck and Martin down forward yesterday. He can take a mark, he is quick enough to be useful in the forward press and uses the ball effectively.

However DB my services don't come cheaply, I have an offer on the table from GWS and lets just say Tom will have to take a pay cut to fit me in up there!

Easily my favourite player at the club. You can tell he's a guy who actually LISTENS to what people tell him. He has all the physical attributes plus a brain the size of a small European nation, and I can't wait to see how good he'll end up.