• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Tom Scully Saga

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why people think that we can't afford to keep scully if he was to get $600-700k. Other clubs are able to have 5 or so top line players on their list that must be on huge coin.

I know that he is young to be getting that kind of money, but let's be honest he will be well worth it!

Malthouse Job Application

Not sure if this deserves a seperate thread but has Malthouse signed or is he waiting to the end of the year when he will know if scully is staying.

Please make use of the emoticons when making these kinds of posts... this is like pouring nitro onto the fire a few are warming themselves around, in here ;)

Please make use of the emoticons when making these kinds of posts... this is like pouring nitro onto the fire a few are warming themselves around, in here ;)

B) Is this a non smoking area? Sorry ;)

I'd rather the MFC lose Scully than pay him more than we could then offer Trengove, Watts etc... down the track. The MFC is building a premiership list, and we are going to need our stars to moderate their wage claims to keep our talented group together to get those flags. GWS are using their extra salary to lure players and gain attention in the Syd market, their initial goal is not a flag list.

Hence the decision for Tom has to be

1. Stay at Melb on perhaps 450k p.a. (same as what other MFC "stars" in their 3rd year can earn) and push for a flag in the next 3 years

2. Go to GWS for 800k p.a. and essential start back where MFC were 3 years ago...

Simple really, if Tom's priority is playing footy for football glory he'll stay, if his priority is earning the most he can for his talents he goes. Nothing wrong with either choice. Except I want him to stay (and we can win a flag if we pay him too much).

Yep, and the way to ward off GWS poaching Tom Scully is for the club and supporters to remain calm, consistent, confident and supportive and to resist hysterical ultimatums, hair-tearing and hand-wringing. Get it straight - YOU can drive Tom away from our club with weak-minded pessimism or YOU can influence him to stay by hanging tough.

Indeed. If anyone or anything drives him away, it won't necessarily be the money, it will be those supporters demanding statements or Tom to sign now to satisfy their own needs, or those weak minded enough to yell abuse at him.

The contract talk will commence at season's end as planned. Don't vent, chill and support your club.

There is an important game against Richmond this week for those who are interested.

I'd rather the MFC lose Scully than pay him more than we could then offer Trengove, Wates etc... down the track.

WHO??? is that player half Matthew Bate cross with Jack Watts? :huh:

Guest hangon007

I want to reiterate this point.

We are supporters of this club, and our club is trying to keep a player.

We are not helping by being the fuel in this rumour spreading - surely there has been so many contradictory and altered rumours that they all get less believable?

The old axiom of "where thers is smoke there is fire" is quite right - but how many different fires can there be if there is only one spark?

We should be asking ourselves where these erroneous rumours come from (if you believe he is gone, fine, but there is only one 'true' rumour)?

They are coming from the west, and they are trying to enact a self-fulfiling prophecy - make enough people think Tom is gone, and they will make life so difficult that he will decide to leave.

Gubby Allan is a brilliant bastard - don't let him do this to our club.

ahhh ... the old divide and conquer strategy.

Are you suggesting GWS are using both conventional (ie print, radio & Tv) & modern day media (ie social media) to influence both Tom & the public?

Are you suggesting GWS are using both conventional (ie print, radio & Tv) & modern day media (ie social media) to influence both Tom & the public?

I didn't know this was news?!

This is a high stakes game and the millions at stake rely on what they do now - they are throwing the sh!te every which way, the 800 odd footy journos are picking it up, polishing it and serving it to us, and we are eating it up.

Gubby Allan would go to the trouble of burning friends like Sheahan to get what he wants - he has done it before.

Ablett didn't this many rumours runnning around.

There is an architect and you know what?

I hate architects.

Are you suggesting they are not ? There is only one game in town for out of contract players at seasons end and it is called GWS. Throw your money laden net out far enough and you are sure to catch fish. The only given is that GWS is talking and the talk would not be restricted to player managers.

Gubby Allan is a brilliant bastard - don't let him do this to our club.

I dont think he even needs to be labelled a brilliant bastard - the situation/rules make this game pretty easy to play - all you need to do is point to G Ablett last year. If you take him at face value , he was less than enamoured with Thompson and his behaviour about him possibly leaving the club and this was part of reason for leaving. The rumours about Ablett and their handling of the situation allowed the situation to degenerate down at Geelong. I'm with you rpfc - dont buy into it.

Guest hangon007

Are you suggesting they are not ?

No. Quite the opposite. IMHO ... We, the MFC community, currently are a prime target for this type of strategy.

Edited by hangon007

No. Quite the opposite. IMHO ... We, the MFC community, currently are a prime target for this type of strategy.

never a truer word spoken

This whole affair is cheap, nasty and downright boring.

I can't help but think that the thugs in the scallop industry are behind this.

Tom was born and spawned on this game selling drinks and dixie ice creams in bay 13 and through guts and determination ran out onto that mighty arena.

I can't help but think that the thugs in the scallop industry are behind this.

Tom was born and spawned on this game selling drinks and dixie ice creams in bay 13 and through guts and determination ran out onto that mighty arena.

This is dizzy stuff folks!

Edited by Harcourt

To all the jokers that think supporters can change a players decision to stay or go - get a grip on life - he wouldnt even read the Herald Sun let alone some site with supporter opinion. Please!

Secondly, the 1 and only reason why he would go is for the money - no other reason what so ever! No Rift at current club, Born and Bred Victorian, club is on the up, what other reason could it be?

And for that his decision can only be one thing and that is to stay, so why create this circus?

If we offer and/or pay him more then trengove, watts, mackensie, gysberts, frawley, sylvia or moloney i will seriously cancel my membership and never give one cent to this club! That will be the worst thing our club could do.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic
If we offer and/or pay him more then trengove, watts, mackensie, gysberts, frawley, sylvia or moloney i will seriously cancel my membership and never give one cent to this club! That will be the worst thing our club could do.

Bye.

You're off then.

Scully is a generational player. If we keep him he will be the highest paid player - deal with it.

If he stays for half of what GWS is apparently offering he will still get $500k and more than any other player.

I swear to god if this thread doesnt get to 2000 posts I am going to tear up my membership ( always wanted to get soo passionate about something to do with the club that i threaten to tear up my membership NOT)

I watched the reply tonight and there was certainly some booing coming through the affects mike.....

Ummm....could've been Freo supporters :rolleyes:

....or maybe...BT!

Who will be the first Demonland Poster to suffer a Heart Attack/Stroke during this Scully Affair???

Thoughts.....??

Rhino for mine....definitely Rhino! :lol:

You're off then.

Scully is a generational player. If we keep him he will be the highest paid player - deal with it.

If he stays for half of what GWS is apparently offering he will still get $500k and more than any other player.

pfft - he is a POTENTIALLY great player! But no better than trengove, watts, mckensie or tapscott! They are all potentionally great players and we are a potentionally great team! Still alot to prove.

define generational player or is this just a term you heard on footy classified one monday night!

I think your getting ahead of yourself - to me Michael Jordan is a generational player, Tiger Woods is a generational player, Black Cavier is a generational horse, floyd mayweather jnr is a generational boxer, ian thorpe is a generational swimmer, roger federer is a generational tennis player, chris judd is a generational footy player!

To me scully has the POTENTIAL to be better than anyone and when he is he deserves to be paid accordinly but at the moment he should NOT be paid anymore then the others!

You're off then.

disagree

if i had to choose between he, Watts and Trenners it would be a dead heat