The Tom Scully Saga

I struggle to see how Bailey was inappropriate?

He didn't give an ultimatum, he just mentioned his belief that Tom will stay - therefore ending any follow-up questions.

Perfect response on a topic with many landmines.

Hopefully, the PA will tone it down and get a CBA done.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course the media want to beat it up controversy sells papers especially when it is about one of the smaller Vic clubs. Therefore stories about Murphy, Thomas, Swan etc "close to signing" will sell better than stories about them on the verge of leaving because that's what the targt audience wants to read. Sheahan has been in this game a long time he is not stupid and knows where his bread is buttered.

I think Scully will stay though have nothing to base this on other than his word. I would be surprised if the board are not looking at all options in keeping him though including a Visy-type deal now that the AFL has OK'd these. Surely there is some wealthy MFC supporting barrister who can pay the kid a couple of hundred grand to drop some documents if for them once a year. Or an MFC patron who can organize him to be the face of Bulla for the next few snow seasons. There are opportunities outthere we just have to think outside the box. :)

Of course the media want to beat it up controversy sells papers especially when it is about one of the smaller Vic clubs. Therefore stories about Murphy, Thomas, Swan etc "close to signing" will sell better than stories about them on the verge of leaving because that's what the targt audience wants to read. Sheahan has been in this game a long time he is not stupid and knows where his bread is buttered.

I think Scully will stay though have nothing to base this on other than his word. I would be surprised if the board are not looking at all options in keeping him though including a Visy-type deal now that the AFL has OK'd these. Surely there is some wealthy MFC supporting barrister who can pay the kid a couple of hundred grand to drop some documents if for them once a year. Or an MFC patron who can organize him to be the face of Bulla for the next few snow seasons. There are opportunities outthere we just have to think outside the box. :)

:lol: If we're to play with the Big boys, we have to learn to fight our way out of a recycled Brown Paper Bag.

Maybe he can learn to be a GOLD prospector, or something?

Edited by dee-luded

If DB had responded differently there'd still be a headline, so I fail to see how it is inappropriate.

DB responds with silence -

'DB refused to answer questions about the future of number one draft pick Tom Scully, prompting speculation that Scully is already on the move...'

DB responds by saying he's not sure -

'DB admits he's not sure if star midfielder Tom Scully will stay with Melbourne...'

etc.

Don't know if anyone just watched Footy Classified, but they did touch on the Tom issue. Grant Thomas didn't comment, as for the other three, they discussed Garry meeting with him a few weeks back. Carro put it to him as to whether they had discussed the GWS issue, to which he replied no. Hutchy continued to try to get an answer but Garry didn't budge, while Carro offered that she thinks he'll stay and that the decision has already been made.

Furthermore, Garry added that games like Friday night helped the MFC's cause because Scully could see full well what was assembling around him.

Let's get real, people. This isn't Chris Judd having won a flag and a Brownlow, nor is it Gary Ablett having done the same. He's 20. Let's let him decide in due course and back off the speculation. I know the media won't, and in all likelihood someone will explode every time the media even cough GWS, but seriously, he has said he's keeping mum til October so let us leave him.

I've hardly commented on this topic, but tonight it's annoyed me a bit. We just had a good win, and instead of showing Jordie's tenacity, or Gys' (rising star tomorrow btw) skills and constant running, or Trenners or Watts' excellent games, Footy Classified was about Scully staying or not.

Is this all we will hear about when we win? Spare me.

Also this greatest comeback game BS is so far over the top it's laughable. Scully was alright, good first game back but that is all.

The passage of play Lyon highlighted as gut running was nothing of the sort. For a start the initial chase was a jog and hesitation, had he ran harder earlier there was a chance at getting a loose ball.

Then he ends up back up our end for a shot at goal. Garry called this gut running and dangerous positioning, BS. I just happened to be watching Scully during this play, the ball took ages to get back down our end with some nice possession football, Scully walked and jogged down the middle, his opponent went to sleep and he led into the 50 for an easy mark.

I am in no way trying to talk down Tom Scully here, I just think all this over the top nonsense about this particular game is mental.

I've hardly commented on this topic, but tonight it's annoyed me a bit. We just had a good win, and instead of showing Jordie's tenacity, or Gys' (rising star tomorrow btw) skills and constant running, or Trenners or Watts' excellent games, Footy Classified was about Scully staying or not.

Ignore Footy Classified. That show doesn't talk about the footy, it just talks about the stories around footy. It's [censored].

I dont have Foxtel so i cant comment on what they show, but the only FTA footy show that actually comments on games and the performances of players is the sunday footy show. Jordie, Gys and Trenners all copped big wraps. Jordie and Trengove also got in the top 3 votes on the Triple M post-game.

Also this greatest comeback game BS is so far over the top it's laughable. Scully was alright, good first game back but that is all.

The passage of play Lyon highlighted as gut running was nothing of the sort. For a start the initial chase was a jog and hesitation, had he ran harder earlier there was a chance at getting a loose ball.

Then he ends up back up our end for a shot at goal. Garry called this gut running and dangerous positioning, BS. I just happened to be watching Scully during this play, the ball took ages to get back down our end with some nice possession football, Scully walked and jogged down the middle, his opponent went to sleep and he led into the 50 for an easy mark.

I am in no way trying to talk down Tom Scully here, I just think all this over the top nonsense about this particular game is mental.

Agree that Footy Classified went for the junk about Scully instead of, for example, highlighting the fact that it was in effect the first full game our "4 horsemen" of the midfield played together - though Caro did say that "the biggest on-field story of the weekend was Melbourne, it was amazing what they did".

Agree about that passage of play - they even sped up some of the ball movement to exaggerate the effect.

On the other hand, in that passage, Scully was the only player on the field to follow the ball from one end of the ground to the other and back again, trying all the way to make position.

And they could have shown another few passages of Scully's brilliant burst speed away from stoppages, and talk about how he combines gut running with burst speed with great disposal.

Lyon & Thomas: no comment

Carro: staying

Hutchy: trying to get a story out of Garry

What was Garry's Body Language like....Was he uneasy (trying to look away?) If he knows something, but said no comment you would easily see it. At the Same time if he was truthful and really doesn't know, it would be easy to tell.

Garry would hear a lot from the MFC walls...If he doesn't know, nor does anyone thus far IMO.

Guest Artie Bucco

Hell, Garry had lunch with the boy in recent weeks.

I doubt he'd bother if the kid was sure to go.

Garry did go to pains to point out that at no time were GWS or signing a new contract discussed over said lunch.

And in regards to those referring to Mike Sheahan as a demons supporter, he broached this very subject in recent days when Jimmy Bartel actually turned the tables & interviewed Mike.

He said that as young boy he was taken to Melbourne matches, purposely avoids using the term "supporter", and then that he became very friendly with a Bulldogs player who lived nearby, and was even carried to the ground by 2 players when he had a broken leg, to watch them play (in the GF, I believe).

It sounded like any allegiances to MFC were well & truly watered down, or gone altogether.

I cannot stress the importance of this lad to our team, him and trenners are our judd and kerr, they have skill beyond belief, but i'm afraid to say, scully is gone, i for one will cry

Mind explaining how you KNOW this

Mind explaining how you KNOW this

cant name names but had a chat with a prominant afl person at the weekend, and stated that MFC were desperatley trying to arrange a big money deal to keep him but cant afford it. the club are seething as they want it out in the open but until his contract ends their hands are tied. they want Scully to front up but wont. look to be honest i really hope its not true and refuse to believe it but if he was staying he'd just say it, like other players that have throughout the season. lets hope this person is wrong

If you were mixing in prominent AFL circles you would probably be able to spell desperately and prominently.

cant name names but had a chat with a prominant afl person at the weekend, and stated that MFC were desperatley trying to arrange a big money deal to keep him but cant afford it. the club are seething as they want it out in the open but until his contract ends their hands are tied. they want Scully to front up but wont. look to be honest i really hope its not true and refuse to believe it but if he was staying he'd just say it, like other players that have throughout the season. lets hope this person is wrong

Moving away from the fact that you obviously do believe it, this logic is flawed.

If he says he will stay, he immediately takes $100k off his contract at least.

He is leaving it to his management and we will talk to them in due course in the post-CBA landscape.

Edited by rpfc

That quote starts off like Tarzan, ends up like Jane.

That quote starts off like Tarzan, ends up like Jane.

you should do stand up, i swear i ruptured a kidney laughing at that post

if u dont have anything constructive to say then dont bother. Just saying what i heard and what i feel.

Edited by tarzan16

christ, am i back at school??? Spelling and Grammar corrections on DEMONLAND!!! typo Bush Demon, no spellcheck, you'll survive though!!!

i dont usually mix in prominant afl circles, just last saturday, but this person has a high regard in footy circles as a champion player and a champion bloke. never said it was fact, just expressing what i heard, we're all worried about the scully situation and are allowed to comment. lets hope for MFC that its all a load of S*&t and he stays. The AFL should be held accountable for giving GWS to tempt players like Sculls with wads of cash, give clubs like us with poor finaces no chance.

Edited by tarzan16

i dont usually mix in prominant afl circles, just last saturday, but this person has a high regard in footy circles as a champion player and a champion bloke. never said it was fact, just expressing what i heard, we're all worried about the scully situation and are allowed to comment. lets hope for MFC that its all a load of S*&t and he stays. The AFL should be held accountable for giving GWS to tempt players like Sculls with wads of cash, give clubs like us with poor finaces no chance.

I don't want to nitpick (oh, who am I kidding...), but you did mention it 'as fact.'

Grammar is important, because (and any kids on here should take note) you are judged on what you write or say - not what 'you meant.'

you should do stand up, i swear i ruptured a kidney laughing at that post

if u dont have anything constructive to say then dont bother. Just saying what i heard and what i feel.

Took you a while to get it, seeing as you added the first sentence 6 minutes after the original post.

If you've got nothing constructive to fabricate, don't fabricate anything at all.

I don't want to nitpick (oh, who am I kidding...), but you did mention it 'as fact.'

Grammar is important, because (and any kids on here should take note) you are judged on what you write or say - not what 'you meant.'

FFS, trying to type on a train with an Iphone is not easy!!!!! Never used the word fact, so nit-pick away