Twitter Ban?

The Chazz

After reading that Clarkson had a mobile phone ban last weekend in Sydney, it made me wonder if Bailey & Co should really consider enforcing a Twitter ban. While I'm the first to put my hand up and admit that I enjoy what the players do in their own time, and it does give a good insight in to the personality of them, I think it's time we got serious and eliminated as many external distractions as we can, and in a phrase that we have heard recently, get back to basics.

While I'd hope that the last thing players are thinking about when they run out is what they are going to Tweet next, it raised my eyebrows last Thursday night during League Teams when Brian Taylor even said that the players should get off Twitter and just focus on their football. They make claims about how their training was spot on, how they have things to work on, and all the rest of the token lines that we hear week after week, maybe it's time for the boys to be given a 4 week ban during what is undoubtedly the biggest month of football that our Club has faced in recent times.

It might seem like I'm clutching at straws, but I can't see it hurting us, especially if the media are starting to draw attention to it.

A total contradiction to what I have just written, but does anyone know why Cam Schwab has been MIA on the Twitter-front for some period of time?

Guest Artie Bucco

Why?

What would it achieve?

It's just a form of communication, and doubles as promotion for the club.

Maybe we should ban them from talking to each other and being seen in public?

I'm being facetious, but I ask again - what would it achieve?

NB. In relation to CS, I imagine the review that was conducted resulted in him being told to shut up, put his head down and get to work.

I get the feeling he'd been too focused on presenting a united front and promoting the club, and maybe let some other facets of his role slip.

Pure speculation, mind you.

Why?

What would it achieve?

It's just a form of communication, and doubles as promotion for the club.

Maybe we should ban them from talking to each other and being seen in public?

I'm being facetious, but I ask again - what would it achieve?

NB. In relation to CS, I imagine the review that was conducted resulted in him being told to shut up, put his head down and get to work.

I get the feeling he'd been too focused on presenting a united front and promoting the club, and maybe let some other facets of his role slip.

Pure speculation, mind you.

Well, I'm not sure what it would achieve Artie, but when the media experts are starting to mention it with a negative spin on it, I'm all ears.

Are some players getting a bit ahead of themselves based on how many followers they have? I'm doubtful, but who knows. I'm a missionary type of guy, and would prefer our blokes to just let their footy do the talking.

The Club is going through some tough times at the moment, so I'm just looking at ways that would hopefully bring them closer together to make sure they get through it more united than ever. If they feel that Tweeting every 5 minutes is going to achieve this, then go for it, but I'd be interested to know how many Collingwood or Geelong players are in the Twitter-verse.

Ridiculous, the only place we should ban twitter is forums on demonland, for anyone to suggest that twitter effects how a person plays is ridiculous, sure if they are twittering during the match or even in the warm up and cool down of a match then we may have to get them off it, but let them do what they want during their free time. If a person being on twitter annoys people so much, then dont follow them, it is a simple as that, just dont go on twitter and no one will be bothered by it.

Although it is ridiculous you may be on to something, we should ban them having anything to do with the internet Facebook, get them off it, Twitter, see you later, newspaper articles and articles on the melbourne football club website, goodbye. Also the players sometimes attend University, this promotes free thinking too much and they may get distracted from playing football, so unenrol them. Extra curricular activities that have no relation to AFL, such as surfing, going out to dinner, watching movies, hanging out with their girlfriends and wives too much, we really need to cut this out aswell. We should make the mfc, a prison based team, create a bunch of cells at AAMI park, only give them certain hours for free time and three square meals a day, and the rest they have to be at AAMI training, gymming, and then studying opposition, they should not be allowed any time to themselves, and really lets be honest, its not like they should be doing anything else with themselves that doesnt involve football.

it literally takes seconds to write a tweet. do you think they're jumping out of practice sessions to jump on Twitter? no, they're doing it in their free time when they wouldn't be doing much else.

how about us fans get banned from using online forums because all the negativity effects our gameday cheering?

the players are humans just like the rest of us and should be treated that way.

After reading that Clarkson had a mobile phone ban last weekend in Sydney, it made me wonder if Bailey & Co should really consider enforcing a Twitter ban.

Followed by what, no more email, in fact no more internet, then mobiles and land line usage, then no contact outside the club at all ever.....

Come on please, stop clutching at straws :rolleyes: !!!

I reckon the 'ladies' would be a much bigger distraction for young footballers than just about anything else combined, but I doubt we're about to go putting a moratorium on those are we? The only difference between this particular distraction and basically every single other one is that this one is visible to the public eye and you can't ban it just for that.

While we're at it, no more tele, make them study tactics while at home. No more talking to opposition players because they may influence how hard they play against each other. No more taking your girl out to tea because you might be thinking about her rather than footy on game day. Jesus Christ Almighty, they are kids in their mid twenties who aren't even allowed a beer in public, at least just let em do something normal. If anyone really thinks that twitter affects their game, then they need to pull their head out of their derrier. And who gives two hoots what the so called "media experts" have to think. When these "experts" write articles seen to be unreasonably derogatory of the MFC they are bumbling fools, but when they criticise the players being human they all of a sudden become "experts?? This is all so ridiculous I just cannot believe it.

Wow, didn't expect that response, but thanks for all your thoughts! The joys of internet forums (I din't think it sounded that stupid when I was writing it!!!).

Anyway, if everyone here is happy for them to go with it, I'll go along too. The main comment made, that really made me stop and listen, was what Crawford had to say in the Herald Sun article.

"They're all adults, they would all know when it is appropriate to use it, so it (phones) must be an issue, the coach must think it's affecting them.

"'Clarko' can be very strong-minded and set in his ways but I know I wouldn't have won a premiership in 2008 if he wasn't like that. Maybe he has brought back that hardness from 2008 and is installing that in 2011."

Just thought it was interesting to hear what other Clubs are doing, and have done, in their bid for a premiership. As I have seen, 99.9% of you would think he is going to far!

Ridiculous, the only place we should ban twitter is forums on demonland, for anyone to suggest that twitter effects how a person plays is ridiculous, sure if they are twittering during the match or even in the warm up and cool down of a match then we may have to get them off it, but let them do what they want during their free time. If a person being on twitter annoys people so much, then dont follow them, it is a simple as that, just dont go on twitter and no one will be bothered by it.

Although it is ridiculous you may be on to something, we should ban them having anything to do with the internet Facebook, get them off it, Twitter, see you later, newspaper articles and articles on the melbourne football club website, goodbye. Also the players sometimes attend University, this promotes free thinking too much and they may get distracted from playing football, so unenrol them. Extra curricular activities that have no relation to AFL, such as surfing, going out to dinner, watching movies, hanging out with their girlfriends and wives too much, we really need to cut this out aswell. We should make the mfc, a prison based team, create a bunch of cells at AAMI park, only give them certain hours for free time and three square meals a day, and the rest they have to be at AAMI training, gymming, and then studying opposition, they should not be allowed any time to themselves, and really lets be honest, its not like they should be doing anything else with themselves that doesnt involve football.

Surely this is going too far??

Or maybe they should try this regime every time they lose a game.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting to note that there has been no comments made by players after yesterday's loss. Chip Frawley posted something along the lines of "we're sick of losing and I'm sure you supporters are too. Hang tough and we'll get through it" or similar, but he has pulled it down. Normally Sylvia and Jones would post something about how disappointed they are, blah, blah.

Has the Football Department put their foot down and said "no more"?

That said, BMG (Big Maxy Gawn) has posted in the last 30 minutes or so about feeling sorry for Trengove's recent fine.

Interesting to note that there has been no comments made by players after yesterday's loss. Chip Frawley posted something along the lines of "we're sick of losing and I'm sure you supporters are too. Hang tough and we'll get through it" or similar, but he has pulled it down. Normally Sylvia and Jones would post something about how disappointed they are, blah, blah.

That said, BMG (Big Maxy Gawn) has posted in the last 30 minutes or so about feeling sorry for Trengove's recent fine.

Maybe they have come to the realisation that they're sick of talking and would rather let their 2 hours of footy speak for themselves ?

I'd hope that would be the case.

As has Tregove himself about feeling a little light in the wallet....

But I wouldn't think there is a ban, maybe it's just that they had nothing to say.

Maybe they have come to the realisation that they're sick of talking and would rather let their 2 hours of footy speak for themselves ?

I'd hope that would be the case.

Can only hope HT. Just thought it was strange how Chip put something up then pulled it straight down.

I know this thread got hammered when I first started it, but thought I'd mention the last 24 hours events.

Guest 36DD

Suggested the same thing earlier in the season...not many takers...each to their own

My whole point is that Twitter seems to be largely a device used by self indulgent celebrities to build their profile and popularity.

The concern for me is that the boys are taking their eyes off what got them in this position (playing and training hard and having a real crack on matchday) and embracing the notions of celebrity.

There are many examples of when players take their eye off what makes them successful only to embrace the trappings of fame, Kournikova is just one of these, Wimbledon semi's as a teenager, failed to win a title i think???

FWIW Melbourne and Port were leading the number of players who have Twitter accounts however, this is hardly scientific as both Geelong and Collingwood weren't that far down the list.

There are many examples of when players take their eye off what makes them successful only to embrace the trappings of fame, Kournikova is just one of these, Wimbledon semi's as a teenager, failed to win a title i think???

Did you seeriously just compare the players of the Melbourne Football Club with Anna Kournavoka?

Guest Thomo

My whole point is that Twitter seems to be largely a device used by self indulgent celebrities to build their profile and popularity.

It's more than that. Players build their following, then get paid to endorse products. Jeff Whites company was advertising this service a while ago, saying that sports people such as Nathan Jones can give products a plug to thousands of followers for a fee.

So those tweets that seem to be innocently giving an update about getting a haircut, buying lunch or liking a new car are probably paid ads.

Guest 36DD

It's more than that. Players build their following, then get paid to endorse products. Jeff Whites company was advertising this service a while ago, saying that sports people such as Nathan Jones can give products a plug to thousands of followers for a fee.

So those tweets that seem to be innocently giving an update about getting a haircut, buying lunch or liking a new car are probably paid ads.

Give me sum credit, work in the media game, I am aware of how PR works, scary thing is people actually believe the plugs to be genuine, well thats PR's big selling point anyway.

Guest 36DD

Did you seeriously just compare the players of the Melbourne Football Club with Anna Kournavoka?

Purely illustrative purposes, for want of a better example should have been included in the post...you should have been able to get the drift