• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Trade Thread

gOLLy

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We need a strong key forward badly.

Spot on. We wouldn't need to be playing spuds in the forward line like Bate, Dunn or Newton if we had picked up a Quentin Lynch who, according to people I know in the west, would have been available in a trade last year. In addition, he would provide a target so that players would be kicking more direct to goal rather than fart around like they do these days.

Before anyone goes off at such a suggestion, I only suggest him on a short term basis till our young blokes get enough games' experience.

Rivers isn't untouchable.. He's just plain untradable. Now !! Ought have unloaded him years ago but most of you lot wouldn't hear of it.

Told ya so !!! :rolleyes:

Guest Rojik of the Arctic
Morton is the only player on that list with real currency and who would net us a good return, but IMO won't get us anything near the value of his development potential. I'd be very very careful and wouldn't dream of trading him for anything less than a top 10 pick or a really good developing KPF.

I think Morton can be a very, very good footballer once he get a few issues sorted. Without a really good over the odds offer I'd rather us take the risk and keep him to see how he finishes up.

Rivers isn't untouchable.. He's just plain untradable. Now !! Ought have unloaded him years ago but most of you lot wouldn't hear of it.

Told ya so !!! :rolleyes:

After his rising star year or just after his OP?

He has never had any trade value because of his medical history and since then has been a MOR defender. Cheap as chips.

Moloney has serious value and I think we could afford to trade him.

It would hurt, but it's about the trade off of short term pain for long term gain.

Beamer might have limited upside but given the lack of senior harder bodies I dont think I'd be rushing to do that.

DELIST: Newton, Warnock, Spencer, MacDonald

TRADE: Bate, Dunn, Jones

LISTEN TO OFFERS: Grimes, Morton, Davey, Green

Non Renewal of Contract: Bailey

Edited by Roost It

Yeah, that was more like my "time-to-move-on" list.

Trade-wise, I think we'd need to consider offers for most players, but it would have to be a good deal.

Realistically, we'll need to trade a good player at some stage, to improve the list when we're in contention.

Much like Geelong sending us Moloney, to get Ottens.

Some are untouchables, but if I'm brutal about it, right now I'd consider trades for:

- Jetta

- Bennell

- Maric

- Rivers

- Moloney

- Fitzpatrick

- Morton (extremely hesitant)

You are dreaming if you think we can afford to trade away Moloney, if that occured our midfield would be back to the state it was in a couple of years ago; no bullocking clearance winners and too many light frames. We'd be rooted basically

DELIST: Newton, Warnock, Spencer, MacDonald

TRADE: Bate, Dunn, Jones

LISTEN TO OFFERS: Grimes, Morton, Davey, Green

Non Renewal of Contract: Bailey

You have officially lost the plot...

Reckon you would have been leading the Moloney is a hack and Jones is a spud threads pre-season too...

Shows a complete lack of understanding of the inner working and fabric of a footy club.

Jones would be comfortably top 5 in the best and fairest...why on earth would we trade him? One of few to have stood up in the last few weeks, I reckon he's a great influence.

.....cause no matter what some people cannot remove their craniums from their rectums...

I'm a fan but if a club offered a top ten pick you'd have to consider for a guy who struggles to get on the field.

Why would a club offer a top ten pick for a player who struggles to get on the field?

He is either a great player who is worthy of a top 10 pick, or he is too injury prone to take a risk on, which is it?

Not that it matters, it's laughable to suggest that we'd even think about trading him.

Guest Artie Bucco

Agree.

Also pretty pathetic that he couldn't resist giving Bailey another kick in a thread about trading.

At the same time my suggestion of Moloney is pretty poor.

BUT he wouldn't be traded until the offseason, and next year after Scully, Jones, Trengove, McKenzie, Bail, Gysberts etc get another preseason's worth of weights into them, I think we could survive without him.

By the time Viney arrives we might not even need Moloney, but he might also have little trade value.

I did say if I was brutal, which to me suggests we aren't considering the impact on the team's chemistry.

If I'm realistic, you just don't trade blokes like him.

It'd be like trading junior.

I was being brutal.

I think you underestimate how other clubs would view our young players.

They also have recruiters that would have followed some of our kids & rated them highly, just like we did with Jack Redden even though we didnt get to pick him, as an example.

Moloney has serious value and I think we could afford to trade him.

It would hurt, but it's about the trade off of short term pain for long term gain.

Morton will be a seriously damaging player and I think we still wouldnt get enough for him now.

This is possibly the most stupid post I've ever read on this site. And that's saying something.

Moloney is one of the best contested possession winners in the entire competition. He is also a Demons man through and through and an elite clubman.

What an absolutely idiotic post.

Guest Artie Bucco

Maybe you should read the whole thread before making idiotic posts yourself.

And Moloney may win contested possessions, but what does he do with them?

Forget winning it in heavy congestion - even when he gets the ball 10m free on the wing, what does he do with the kick?

Personally, I'm all about doing whatever we can towards absolutely dominating in a couple of years time.

Even if it means winning a handful less games now.

Very easy to sit back and take pot shots at others for providing an opinion, but I'm yet to see your suggested list of tradeable players.

Let me guess, Bate, Dunn and Newton?

Very imaginative.

Edited by Artie Bucco

A lot of people think trading players is like trading footy cards. It's an internet game. Players value goes up and down as quickly as the value of stocks being traded on the ASX, and most of it is not founded in any sense of reality or good judgement.

The reality is that good clubs need people/players like Moloney. Not only would he get a start at every other club, the leadership qualities he brings are what makes him vitally important to this particular club. You would always lose more than you would gain trading someone like Moloney.

Malthouse, I expect, would say this about Maxwell. He's clearly not the best player in the league, let alone that club - but he's the Captain of the best team in the comp. He would not ever be 'on the table', so to speak. And whatever we may say and think about the Pies, the fact is they get this stuff right.

Bailey didn't quite appreciate the effect his handling of the McDonald situation would have on our list, and it's simply because his lens was limited to on-field performance and giving the junior players more game time. Makes sense on paper - but look at the effect it's actually had in reality. We need that guy walking around the club (in some capacity) this year - and I don't believe he is. The same argument IMO applies to some other players mentioned on this thread (eg, Jones, Green etc). So, in discussing the trading of players, I suggest people broaden their focus a little.

Re garding the notion that Bailey didnt forsee the vacuum that is Juniors departure one has to summise ..who did ? We all sat around here lauding the the leadership qaulities of this bloke or that. Our only real disagreement was on who was better ( and worse) etc. Not that there wasnt any !! Quite possibly Bailey was similalrly minded.

Weve all been proved wrong. No one is fit to wear that captains cap.

Bugger !

Hardly a vacuum. Notwithstanding Junior's efforts (and he was missing for a good chunk of 2010), the issue has been that performance of some of senior players and unavailability of critical players has made the issue bigger than it is. Green (potential AA and b&f) and Davey (past B&f) and the disappearance of other senior players in heavy traffic has probably highlighted how much we are dependent on our younger players to get us through. And the cream of youth (and talent) has missed alot of football.