cale morton contract

Does it expire end of this year? If so, he will definitley be traded. watch this space. i'd be going to gws if i were him. i'd be very happy to pick up another top 20 compo pick for him someone that actually plays hard agressive footy rather than loping around with a "i'm a pick no. 4 mentality".

Gotta agree that something must be done. He is softer than margarine, makes butter look as tough as nails. I've long held the belief that he is not a part of our best 22. In his defence, last night i couldn't find many worthy of a start for next week in our 22. He like too many of our players, refuses to put his body on the line. Not sure what he'd be worth though.

Edited by Demon Disciple

Don't think Bailey would do it, but reckon the new coach (whoever that may be) will.

Yes I'm being sarcastic, but trying to keep positive and hopeful as well :P

Watched him very closely at the Gabba the other week. He played a typical, old-style wingman role. Ran up and down the one side all day, picked up a heap of cheap possessions and kicked 3 goals.

Is there a demand for that style of player in today's footy? I'm not sure of that.

Does it expire end of this year? If so, he will definitley be traded. watch this space. i'd be going to gws if i were him. i'd be very happy to pick up another top 20 compo pick for him someone that actually plays hard agressive footy rather than loping around with a "i'm a pick no. 4 mentality".

I don't think he needs to go to the GWS, but back to Casey for a while.

We don't have to throw out this baby, with the bath water, but he needs to go back to grow up and learn to pay hard brand footy.

Watts contested much better last night and Bennell actually stood his ground in a scuffle in support of Watts. Little steps...

Watched him very closely at the Gabba the other week. He played a typical, old-style wingman role. Ran up and down the one side all day, picked up a heap of cheap possessions and kicked 3 goals.

Is there a demand for that style of player in today's footy? I'm not sure of that.

Remind you of anyone? Bruce? Green of old? latter Yze?

I don't think we should be pulling the pin with this guy just yet.

Woeful last night, and not having the best season, but he is coming off a largely interrupted backend of the pre season and was rushed back into the side with no match conditioning (not his fault). We've seen with Frawley that you can go from hero to zero pretty quickly with limited preperation, so how about we give Morton the same leeway.

I'm not too worried about his lack of mongrel, as that's not his role. But his foot skills baffle me sometimes. For someone that was meant to be an awesome kick of the footy when he arrived at the club, he sure has his fair share of shanks. The one last night (3rd quarter?) was cringe worthy.

Dale Thomas. Plays that role at the Pies. Thomas works his arse off up & down the ground every minute of the game that he's on the ground. If he's not directly involved he is running hard to a spot where he becomes an option for his team-mates with the ball. When it's his turn to go in & get the ball, he goes. Didn't when he started out but certainly does now. When the opposition have the ball, he works hard defensively. Morton should be studying him as Thomas puts in the effort needed to succeed in that position. At the moment he looks like that #17 bloke from Hawthorn.

1. Not worth trading. We would get stuff all for Cale, upwards of pick 30 I would say.

2 Last week the kid was good, run hard and found space which gives our team something to kick to(which is rare at).

3 This kid needs to be treated like a tall player. He will take longer to develop and get comfortable in that long frame.

If anyone heard Leigh Matthews last season he described Cale is unique and exciting prospect. He said he can't think of any player of his height with such a big tank included with the combination to find the football. It's worth waiting for him. Lets not forget those games with he was getting 35+ disposals, that's his roof.

He was average last night, epscially that kick out on the full. Still did some good things if you watch him closely.

Edited by Mr Morton

Cale is a very tough player for me to read, there are times where he does brilliant clever work but then 2 minutes later he does a complete shank or gets caught with the ball. I know he's been injury riddled, and i was extremely surprised when they brought him straight in (albeit as a sub), but much like we were done waiting with Sylvia last year it is time Morton showed what he's got or we drop him.

I like him. Don't know why he's been so rubbish this season, but over the longer term I've liked him. Don't think he should be sent off because of this, although a run in the seconds is probably deserved

used to like him and had big expectations, but I think he has actually gone backwards from his first year

I can't understand it, he's as slow and soft as treacle and seriously lacking heart. He looks like he doesn't want to be out there. Must have serious problems above his shoulders I think. I also think the club mollycoddle him too much, he needs to be told a few harsh facts. Maybe a new coach could "fix" him cos I don't think DB ever will

Guest watts04

why is it that the dees have a history of not turnin good players into great ones

morton is fallin down the same path as yze, robbo, green, bruce etc

we settle for mediocrity

get rid of the coach

need malthouse n roos and a new culture

I'm bemused by the criticism of younger players like Morton, who had a significantly interrupted preseason whilst mature leaders like Aaron Davey have got off free of any major criticism.

Davey has done very little this year and has failed to impact any game. He'd be one of Melbourne's highest paid players having negotiated strongly a year or so ago, is a member of the leadership group and our highest profile player.

Davey is either unwilling to work himself into the game or is unable to handle a tag. He seems to be playing with little spirit and perhaps is low on confidence. He'd be the first I'd drop to Casey next week, but he won't be.

It's time for exquisitely skilled players like Davey to realize it up to him. He's the man, he's not someone who lives of the efforts of others. He needs to create.

Stop focusing on players like Morton and Watts. Morton is in his 4th year but missed a lot of last year because of injury. Start focusing on players who are really letting the team down.

Aaron is at the top of the list.

Search around a little mate, Davey has copped quite a bit on here since last night. All warranted too. I reckon there should be a rant thread aimed at each and every player and member of the coaching staff individually. It's name and shame time in a big way.

I like him. Don't know why he's been so rubbish this season, but over the longer term I've liked him. Don't think he should be sent off because of this, although a run in the seconds is probably deserved

'Striker475', he's always been soft. Just because supporeters are now noticing it, because our collective expectations are higher, we the supporters, are viewing it with less goggle eyed glasses... Then if you put a teamfull of 'em out there, well, what do people expect???

This Is Not Baileys fault!

He's just following the agreed idea's of the football dept'........... and in a way there right, as playing the kids is the quickest way to fastrack the future team... BUT, it Can also be a very painfull pathway, for bot Us, the supporters, and for the more established players like sylvia who have played Most of their careers in poor sides. this can have bad implications for their self belief and team contentmenrt.

I get the felinng that we neeed to modify the selection criteria just marginally, (the team balance) between kids and maturity.

Playing Morton together with Bennell and Davey and Watts and Gysberts and Jurrah and Dunn. There is No hardness there, let Alone any Mongrell!!!

This is like a red rag at the Bull,, West Coast, who are trying desperately to get one back on what we did to them @ the 'G' last year. We beat them up with agressive play.

They wanted to get some wood on us and so they lined up with a huge side. I wondered if they were serious about playing Natinui, with such a Big tall side on the big ground at night.

These are the tactics Collingwood used early last year against the Saints @ etihad, when Riewoldt tore his hammy. The Pies got into the saints heads with rough play, to soften them up for the future, and it worked.

I mentioned that I thought we might play Warnock, in a post I wrote, because of their big forwardline.

So, IMO we have Too many non agressive boys in the one team.

used to like him and had big expectations, but I think he has actually gone backwards from his first year

I can't understand it, he's as slow and soft as treacle and seriously lacking heart. He looks like he doesn't want to be out there. Must have serious problems above his shoulders I think. I also think the club mollycoddle him too much, he needs to be told a few harsh facts. Maybe a new coach could "fix" him cos I don't think DB ever will

We're giving them games without them playing like men.. Thats what happened with J White and Yze and Green and bruce back under eND and his dept'. Cheap kicks around the back pocket without Any physical danger of getting hurt and missing games.

We are reaping what we're sowing. Make 'em earn it!

Morton needs a coach who doesn't accept hit performance. he has oodles of talent, a huge motor, good skills and reads the play well. Just needs a coach who does the same.

Morton needs a coach who doesn't accept hit performance. he has oodles of talent, a huge motor, good skills and reads the play well. Just needs a coach who does the same.

It's not the coach who's soft.. it's the match committee who selects the teams..

Don'r waste your time focusing on Bailey when he is only one who decides on the team selection. He can't rant and rave at the kids, or they would be done with him and wouldn't listen to his wisdom as a teacher.. You can't verbally abuse them, thats for the odd occaision when a senior player needs a rev up.

Just drop them when they are not playing like, or not trying to play like men.

Edited by dee-luded

It's not the coach who's soft.. it's the match committee who selects the teams..

Don'r waste your time focusing on Bailey when he is only one who decides on the team selection. He can't rant and rave at the kids, or they would be done with him and wouldn't listen to his wisdom as a teacher.. You can't verbally abuse them, thats for the odd occaision when a senior player needs a rev up.

Just drop them when they are not playing like, or not trying to play like men.

Yep, the Match Committee are as much under the Pump as all the FD Coaches no doubt.

Let's not rip our list apart too quickly.....Think Essendon..2010-2011