Where are we REALLY at right now ??

plg31ni

I was talking to a long time Geelong supporter today (we often discuss football in depth). He was saying that he was confident that Geelong would be in the top four because although they have lost Ablett they still have great depth. More important than that, it was his view that Geelong had proved themselves very good at working out how to win games as they unfolded. That they could work out amongst themselves how to combat the oppositon tactics. The Geelong players certainly had confidence in each other that they could do this. They have a combination of smart players who have a had great deal of pressure game experience together. It will take time for the Dees to develop this. That's assuming that we have the players with the skill, brains and temperament to do so. When I look at Scully, Trengove, Frawley, McKenzie, Gysberts, Grimes, Tapscott and co, I suspect we might. I don't expect too much this year, maybe 11th-7th. Bailey can't be judged yet and if people continually build the noise and speculation around his performance we my well destablize the football dept. and derail the progress.

Edited by btdemon

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was talking to a long time Geelong supporter today (we often discuss football in depth). He was saying that he was confident that Geelong would be in the top four because although they have lost Ablett they still have great depth. More important than that, it was his view that Geelong had proved themselves very good at working out how to win games as they unfolded. That they could work out amongst themselves how to combat the oppositon tactics. The Geelong players certainly had confidence in each other that they could do this. They have a combination of smart players who have a had great deal of pressure game experience together. It will take time for the Dees to develop this. That's assuming that we have the players with the skill, brains and temperament to do so. When I look at Scully, Trengove, Frawley, McKenzie, Gysberts, Tapscott and co as suspect we might. I don't expect too much this year, maybe 11th-7th. Bailey can't be judged yet and if people continually build the noise and speculation around his performance we my well destablize the football dept. and derail progress.

Good sensible assessment and worth keeping in mind. We need to finish in the top 7 to 9 this year I feel. We have to keep Scully ?? Brad Green does not seem to have relished being Captain as yet. He has kicked badly this year in comparison to previous years. Smart players ? Well, if we learn not to turn the ball over as often as we seem to do with ill directed kicks and handballs then we are halfway there.I know Morton has been out a while and he is just commencing his "journey" back, I have watched him turn the ball over too many times already this year. Jack Watts is tackling much better than last year, but he needed to be playing 4 quarters against the Gold Coast.. Bad move to use him as a sub.we need more brute strength on the Forward line just to give us a little more authority and make teams think twice before boring in and knocking our current personnel off their feet. Our classy players on the forward line (and we do have them) would then be let loose to show the skill they actually do possess.

I am amazed how well the club has been able to sell the notion of time and patience. It is hard to believe that some members think it is ok if the club is only pushing for the top six in 2013, some six years after the rebuilding started. Hawthorn as an example won the flag in 2008 five years after the rebuilding started and finished 5th in their fourth year. Collingwood as another example had two bad years in 04 and 05 then finished 5th in 06, we as Melbourne Members are far to soft on the club so too the media. Enough is enough it is time for us to step up, we have an easy draw and more than enough talent to be playing finals this year and top six next year.

Thank you for your reply with a common sense approach.. We don't look as bad as Port do right now Gold Coast are pushing still only 2 pts down 21 mins into last qur... Gives me some heart

There's a lot of inconsistant Young teams around at the moment. GC suns have been very consistent, till now. But they were down at 3/4Qtr time.

So Port need to be swabbed.

And while your at it, give the Crows one to. That hard water (Sth Aus), has gone to water, with the end of the drought!

North. Tigers. Us.

I am pretty confident Melbourne will make the eight this year. Even without improvement from last year the friendly draw is going to be the difference from last year. Like Geelong before their premiership Melbourne are going to lose games that they shouldn't but they will start getting fewer.

But like everyone here I want a consistent top four side. For that they will need to develop the list, recruit wisely and trade in wisely (eg like Geelong did with Ottens, Collingwood with Jolly and Leigh Brown - St Kilda have shown how you can do this very badly and nearly still get there because of adding Gardiner). Trading will become easier when players start to see Melbourne as a serious flag chance.

Bailey's Building Blocks

The 15 Players on the 2011 Senior and Rookie List who were on the list in 2007 which Bailey inherited.

Player......Age Turned in 2007...Games played end 2007

Green 26...................166

Davey 24...................82

Jamar 24...................64

Rivers 23...................64

Moloney 23...................61

Sylvia 22...................52

Bate 20...................33

Jones 19...................29

Bartram 19...................23

Dunn 20...................23

Newton 20...................10

Petterd 19...................9

Frawley 19...................9

Warnock 23...................4

Garland 19...................2

I am amazed how well the club has been able to sell the notion of time and patience. It is hard to believe that some members think it is ok if the club is only pushing for the top six in 2013, some six years after the rebuilding started. Hawthorn as an example won the flag in 2008 five years after the rebuilding started and finished 5th in their fourth year. Collingwood as another example had two bad years in 04 and 05 then finished 5th in 06, we as Melbourne Members are far to soft on the club so too the media. Enough is enough it is time for us to step up, we have an easy draw and more than enough talent to be playing finals this year and top six next year.

My sentiments exactly.. It's Time !! or way past time ??? Go the greatest AFL Football Club In Australia.....

21 disposals, 6 marks.

What a waste of time - luckily we're not cutting down any trees for this drivel.

If we were cutting down trees it "wood" probably be in Tassie.. Bring a sharp axe as even the wood down here is tougher than that in Victoria.(but not as sharp as your tongue.. (joke). We have provided a few fair Footy players over here too .. Not enough room on the internet to name them all.. Why would the AFL want a home based Tasmanian team when they can just use the State as a "poaching" ground as they have through the VFL/AFL ?? Chill out... lighten up and have a laugh mate... !!Go Dees ..

If we were cutting down trees it "wood" probably be in Tassie.. Bring a sharp axe as even the wood down here is tougher than that in Victoria.(but not as sharp as your tongue.. (joke). We have provided a few fair Footy players over here too .. Not enough room on the internet to name them all.. Why would the AFL want a home based Tasmanian team when they can just use the State as a "poaching" ground as they have through the VFL/AFL ?? Chill out... lighten up and have a laugh mate... !!Go Dees ..

Did you think that bing was making an anti-Tassie joke when mentioning 'cutting down trees?'

It is a common refrain when posting on the internet because everything we write is in digital binary and not on paper.

I don't know you, plg31ni, but you need to calm down and not be so sensitive. When someone questions a post of yours, they are not attacking you.

And bing was just pointing out that Hodge did play against us in Round 2.

As for where we are; we will see on Thursday to a certain extent. I am not expecting a win, as I don't think we are at that stage but I want a good performance in contested possies and clearances and near the half century in Inside 50s.

Did you think that bing was making an anti-Tassie joke when mentioning 'cutting down trees?'

It is a common refrain when posting on the internet because everything we write is in digital binary and not on paper.

I don't know you, plg31ni, but you need to calm down and not be so sensitive. When someone questions a post of yours, they are not attacking you.

And bing was just pointing out that Hodge did play against us in Round 2.

As for where we are; we will see on Thursday to a certain extent. I am not expecting a win, as I don't think we are at that stage but I want a good performance in contested possies and clearances and near the half century in Inside 50s.

I think I should maybe just sit back and watch everybody else on DL have fun putting points and occasionally having good healthy arguments and debate etc. I need to accept the fact that I am a little misunderstood.. I at no stage took bing's comment as "having a dig" at Tassie. I did try to make a joke out of it but maybe the Tassie "two headed" syndrome may have kicked in on some of my posts and my approach doesn't suit everybody and I don't expect it to. I assure you I do not need to calm down and be less sensitive as I feel no stress being on the site nor am i too sensitive. maybe I am coming across to some in that manner. I promise I normally have a great SOH. Some, if you have read all replies to my posts have maybe attacked me a little and been more than just sarcastic..(only a minority). Like for instance the Member who replied to me calling me p i g instead of p L g ? Please don't get me wrong... I still won't get stressed out over it,I am not he one reverting to "name calling"

I am maybe a little impatient at times about the 47 years waiting for the Dees to win another flag.. That's the only anxiety I have..

Edited by plg31ni

I think I should maybe just sit back and watch everybody else on DL have fun putting points and occasionally having good healthy arguments and debate etc. I need to accept the fact that I am a little misunderstood.. I at no stage took bing's comment as "having a dig" at Tassie. I did try to make a joke out of it but maybe the Tassie "two headed" syndrome may have kicked in on some of my posts and my approach doesn't suit everybody and I don't expect it to. I assure you I do not need to calm down and be less sensitive as I feel no stress being on the site nor am i too sensitive. maybe I am coming across to some in that manner. I promise I normally have a great SOH. Some, if you have read all replies to my posts have maybe attacked me a little and been more than just sarcastic..(only a minority). Like for instance the Member who replied to me calling me p i g instead of p L g ? Please don't get me wrong... I still won't get stressed out over it,I am not he one reverting to "name calling"

I am maybe a little impatient at times about the 47 years waiting for the Dees to win another flag.. That's the only anxiety I have..

A little l can look very similiar to a capitol I...

I must confess I read it as pig (little i). I run my screen at quite a high resolution (hence smaller font size), plus my eyesight aint what it was so from where i sat the l looked like an i especially in the font style the poster was using. Sometimes the brain reinterprets what one sees to fit what seems most likely.

Anyway a harmless misunderstanding, and it just wasn't one poster who misunderstood.

Its easy enough to change you nickname (maybe all caps) cos I'm sure other posters in the future will make the same misunderstanding

Thank you nice try but my ID is clearly plg (lower case). No capitals to mistake for lower or upper case. not pig as was written on 2 separate posts after I obviously rubbed the poster the wrong way.. I think it best I forget it. It's over and I will move on to the next post hopefully without offending too many members.I have since read some insulting and some bordering on aggressive remarks between some members.. I can't be holding my mouth right ?? (joke) I was also censored by Rhino a couple days ago He deleted the post) for writing in Capital letters and was promptly told it was unacceptable to type in capitals as it implied I was shouting. I have checked various posts since and have observed many occasions where members have written complete words in capitals.. ??? That didn't help my welcome to the site..

Edited by plg31ni

I must confess I read it as pig (little i). I run my screen at quite a high resolution (hence smaller font size), plus my eyesight aint what it was so from where i sat the l looked like an i especially in the font style the poster was using. Sometimes the brain reinterprets what one sees to fit what seems most likely.

Anyway a harmless misunderstanding, and it just wasn't one poster who misunderstood.

Its easy enough to change you nickname (maybe all caps) cos I'm sure other posters in the future will make the same misunderstanding

Thank you for your clarification, but I chose plg because they are my initials..

Thank you for your clarification, but I chose plg because they are my initials..

Thats fine, but why not PLG instead of plg, there should be no confusion then.

Its up to you of course, but left unchanged I'm (and others probably) always going to "see"/remember pig, because after all I'm (we're) only human

plg - if you were here a bit longer or took notice before you posted here you would realise that WYL doesn't make fun of people's names like that.

It isn't his game - I could tell you some strange ideas he has about the AFL (Mel Gibson in Conspiracy Theory strange...

...I propbably could have left it at Mel Gibson...), but that is beside the point.

Anyway, just let it go.

Anyone catch the North-Richmond game?

Based on that game, I'd say we're better than both sides. The difference though, and where we will continue to struggle, is still the big bodies, especially against the Roos. The old brigade of North are a tough group indeed - Petrie, Rawlings, Wells, Boomer. Those guys are players who are 100% grit, and will push hard at every contest. The Tigers are less so, but some players (Riewoldt in particular, but also noticed how well Jake King played - can't name many more of the Richmond players who are of the big type) play in a similar fashion. Whether it's through reliance on Junior, Bruce and Jordie last season and now being exposed or simply...being less willing at the ball (for want of a better turn of phrase) we are not as hard and determined as either of those two sides. However, we can most certainly out-skill the both of them.

The issue is that skill will only get you so far in contested possession and such.

Anyone catch the North-Richmond game?

Based on that game, I'd say we're better than both sides. The difference though, and where we will continue to struggle, is still the big bodies, especially against the Roos. The old brigade of North are a tough group indeed - Petrie, Rawlings, Wells, Boomer. Those guys are players who are 100% grit, and will push hard at every contest. The Tigers are less so, but some players (Riewoldt in particular, but also noticed how well Jake King played - can't name many more of the Richmond players who are of the big type) play in a similar fashion. Whether it's through reliance on Junior, Bruce and Jordie last season and now being exposed or simply...being less willing at the ball (for want of a better turn of phrase) we are not as hard and determined as either of those two sides. However, we can most certainly out-skill the both of them.

The issue is that skill will only get you so far in contested possession and such.

We are going to have some great games with the Tigers over the next decade.

Cotchin, Deledio, and Martin make an incredibly promising midfield.

The defence isn't much but Riewoldt is a force.

Really pains we to say it.

North are all workers, little flair.

Harvey and Wells were quiet in the last and they had very little run and imagination.

Doesn't mean we won't have a tough run with them though. Swallow, Anthony, Adams and Atley will be tough in the middle.

Watching the old Melbourne Essendon game served as a timely reminder of just how good we have to be to win a Flag ( the "Melbourne v Essendon: Round 3 1990 Third Quarter" thread). Big bodies, incredibly hard at it, great skills. I never understood why we got rid of John Northey...

Watching the old Melbourne Essendon game served as a timely reminder of just how good we have to be to win a Flag ( the "Melbourne v Essendon: Round 3 1990 Third Quarter" thread). Big bodies, incredibly hard at it, great skills. I never understood why we got rid of John Northey...

He didn't have a thousand yard stare...

He wasn't a 'finisher'...

The players appeared not to be playing for him...

His performance on BTG were embarrassing...

Had no discernable gameplan...

And so forth...

: )

Is is just the mists of time... that team seemed so much more powerful than our current young team. Oh for a Bennet / Strawb / Grinter / Yates / Lyon - never mind the Sainted One! We can only hope... and wait and support through thick and thin, I guess.