Mick Malthouse

Range Rover

I have been told by a person with an in at collingwood ( and he has been right every time on collingwood items) that MM is being paid $900000 a year, for the next 3 years, not to coach,

I'm so happy if this is true. Anyway, in these days of huge expensive football depts and line coaches, how much success or failure can be attributed to the senior coach. Over rated! Remember when Mark Thompson and Alistair Clarkson were 'dead men walking'. Did the pie-eating Bomber Thompson finally click after 8 years?

Success is a FD team effort running the right cattle. The buck may stop at the senior coach but really, what percentage of the results are truly his.

I suspect the 'flood', 'rolling zones', 'forward presses' etc, were established by 'FD committee', initially as a kitbag of plans.

By the way, who's that bloke coaching Geelong at the minute? You know, the one who has a twin bother at Nth Melbourne? We should get him.

We all just need to settle a bit, as devastating as last night was, this is going to happen to us , it happened to collingwood it happened to the swans and the eagles, it happened to the cats as well it also happened to the lions/bears( I know this because my stepdad was apart of their side for a good 12 years and I witnessed their ups and downs and i also watched them to go on and dominate to win 3 out of 4 grand finals...not an easy thing to do... and heres the kicker... all those young bears/lions were good but... needed time to develop because they were young and inexperienced and needed game time together and develop they did. But they did it tough for quite a while and I used to go to the gabba and watch them get hammered by a lot of teams with a lot of the guys that went on to become three peat premiers , and i know this as fact cos i was there) it also happened to port adelaide, remember when they kept choking ??? then they finally won one against the best team of that era?.(im aware they got flogged in a grand final but they broke thorugh) My point is choc williams was a new senior coach to the AFL after being an assistant at essendon dean has followed the same path in some regards, we have to be patient although still very frustrating and I was livid last night too, dont worry, especially now that im a paying member, but after my blood cooled i put things into perspective. Those teams i have mentioned did it tough struggled and then finally broke through.... the demons are following the same eerie path and thinking about this I actually got a bit excited cos it put things into perspective. A tough road ahead does wait but keep our faith and belief in our team and the dream will come alive. Our test is against the crows good sides will bounce back maybe we might and that could also be a turning point for us,I love the demons have all my life like my father before me and although angry about last night....keep the faith I will :D

notice soem of the star wars speak... hahaha for a bit of fun ;)

You're well meaning, but you're speaking rubbish.

I'm so happy if this is true. Anyway, in these days of huge expensive football depts and line coaches, how much success or failure can be attributed to the senior coach. Over rated! Remember when Mark Thompson and Alistair Clarkson were 'dead men walking'. Did the pie-eating Bomber Thompson finally click after 8 years?

Success is a FD team effort running the right cattle. The buck may stop at the senior coach but really, what percentage of the results are truly his.

I suspect the 'flood', 'rolling zones', 'forward presses' etc, were established by 'FD committee', initially as a kitbag of plans.

By the way, who's that bloke coaching Geelong at the minute? You know, the one who has a twin bother at Nth Melbourne? We should get him.

You make some good points DD, but the senior coach has the final word. MM may be on top coin, but there is a reason for it...he has total understanding of the modern game.

So does Mark Thompson, which is why Essendon Grabbed him at any cost.

Now it may have taken the Geelong players a few years to fully embrace Thompson's plan. Penny dropped in 2007.

Now will the same thing happen at Melbourne with Bailey and this list???? or how long can we wait to see???

Let's not forget Williams and Laidley. Unlike Roos and Thompson, these two appear very keen to restart their AFL coaching career somewhere.

Throw in 7 other current coaches coming out of contract at seasons end, and we are heading to perhaps the most interesting post season period in years.

Bailey is in a tricky situation at the moment. We have the second youngest list. It's still a development year for the likes of Watts, Blease, Scully, Cook, Jurrah and a few others. But this is Bailey's 4th year and I don't accept that this is another 'development' year for the coach. Last season we proved on occasions we could be very competitive against top teams like Collingwood and Footscray, and we also belted the Swans; we could see improvement in the team.

We need to see similar results this year so that Bailey can say 'I can make this team a top 4 side in 2013 and beyond'. I suspect that his chances of being re-signed will depend largely on the team's performance this year, regardless of who is available after round 22.

Oh please, if Williams or Laidley come anywhere near MFC I'll be ill.

We all just need to settle a bit, as devastating as last night was, this is going to happen to us , it happened to collingwood it happened to the swans and the eagles, it happened to the cats as well it also happened to the lions/bears( I know this because my stepdad was apart of their side for a good 12 years and I witnessed their ups and downs and i also watched them to go on and dominate to win 3 out of 4 grand finals...not an easy thing to do... and heres the kicker... all those young bears/lions were good but... needed time to develop because they were young and inexperienced and needed game time together and develop they did. But they did it tough for quite a while and I used to go to the gabba and watch them get hammered by a lot of teams with a lot of the guys that went on to become three peat premiers , and i know this as fact cos i was there) it also happened to port adelaide, remember when they kept choking ??? then they finally won one against the best team of that era?.(im aware they got flogged in a grand final but they broke thorugh) My point is choc williams was a new senior coach to the AFL after being an assistant at essendon dean has followed the same path in some regards, we have to be patient although still very frustrating and I was livid last night too, dont worry, especially now that im a paying member, but after my blood cooled i put things into perspective. Those teams i have mentioned did it tough struggled and then finally broke through.... the demons are following the same eerie path and thinking about this I actually got a bit excited cos it put things into perspective. A tough road ahead does wait but keep our faith and belief in our team and the dream will come alive. Our test is against the crows good sides will bounce back maybe we might and that could also be a turning point for us,I love the demons have all my life like my father before me and although angry about last night....keep the faith I will :D

notice soem of the star wars speak... hahaha for a bit of fun ;)

I'm not a Choco fan but let's remember the guy was a pretty good footballer (was Bailey any good?) and his family were royalty in South Australian football. He came out of an incredibly successful and ruthless Port Adelaide culture. I don't rate him any more but he had a lot going for him in his day, Choco.

I have been told by a person with an in at collingwood ( and he has been right every time on collingwood items) that MM is being paid $900000 a year, for the next 3 years, not to coach,

Then let's go after 2 of his assistants and a couple of assistants from Hawthorn and Geelong and build a Premiership FD. By the way if someone offered you 750000 to do what you love would you take it over someone paying you 900000 to work under the snivvling Buckley? i know what I'd prefer to do.

Did your brother's best friend tell you that?

Nope, actually worse than that - my father's best friend. But I've known him for years and years as well, he's an Essendon man so I don't know that he can be trusted lol but it was something he said he heard on MMM - that a leading premiership coach's dream job is Melbourne, but then they decided not to talk about it because said coach is under contract.

And the reason Malthouse is good is being shown now, 3/4 time, the pies are under the pump, Malthouse gives them the evil eye, gives a few a bit of a lashing and now they start by kicking the first 3 of the quarter.

And the reason Malthouse is good is being shown now, 3/4 time, the pies are under the pump, Malthouse gives them the evil eye, gives a few a bit of a lashing and now they start by kicking the first 3 of the quarter.

The Dogs kicked 1.3 to a point in the first 5 minutes of the last. More accurate kicking could've seen them hit the front.

The reality is that they're a better team and should have won. The Dogs got some nice momentum, but I wouldn't really put the last term pull-away to Malthouse giving them the "evil eye."

The Dogs kicked 1.3 to a point in the first 5 minutes of the last. More accurate kicking could've seen them hit the front.

The reality is that they're a better team and should have won. The Dogs got some nice momentum, but I wouldn't really put the last term pull-away to Malthouse giving them the "evil eye."

But isn't that just it 45. Collingwood may be the better side, but at times they still need switching on at times. MM does that very efficiently. One of the main reasons he is highly paid.

But isn't that just it 45. Collingwood may be the better side, but at times they still need switching on at times. MM does that very efficiently. One of the main reasons he is highly paid.

Collingwood 4th quarter percentage this year is 257. Footscray's is 80. It's fair to assume Collingwood are a fitter, better team than the dogs. The dogs were also coming back from a night game in Perth.

Obviously Mick would've given them a spray and that may've had some impact, but to imply that only he could have given that spray to inspire that performance I don't buy.

If it worked - why then did the Dogs have 4 of the first 5 scoring shots in a close last quarter?

thats why he would be ideal for MFC.

Collingwood 4th quarter percentage this year is 257. Footscray's is 80. It's fair to assume Collingwood are a fitter, better team than the dogs. The dogs were also coming back from a night game in Perth.

Obviously Mick would've given them a spray and that may've had some impact, but to imply that only he could have given that spray to inspire that performance I don't buy.

If it worked - why then did the Dogs have 4 of the first 5 scoring shots in a close last quarter?

You are underestimating the Dogs being up as well, they did kick a goal right on 3/4 time so MM would have known it was going to be hard.

Footy is 90% upstairs as we all know. What Malthouse does, does not always work, but it is pretty impressive..he understands battle tactics (footy is a war) which is why sheeds was successful on the same level.

Edited by why you little

thats why he would be ideal for MFC.

Correct. i truly believe our list is close to being ready, let's hope we keep Tom. We are ready for a top line coach...Now if Dean wants to be that man he has got weeks to show it. Otherwise....

Correct. i truly believe our list is close to being ready, let's hope we keep Tom. We are ready for a top line coach...Now if Dean wants to be that man he has got weeks to show it. Otherwise....

Agree.

I am over people talking about how we need to give bailey a chance to show his worth, and coaches need start somewhere... Melbourne Demons have not won a flag since 1964, how many here are prepared to take a chance and wait another 47 odd years for a sniff? It is time to be tough and make the RIGHT decisions. Malthouse is available, TAKE HIM.

Agree.

I am over people talking about how we need to give bailey a chance to show his worth, and coaches need start somewhere... Melbourne Demons have not won a flag since 1964, how many here are prepared to take a chance and wait another 47 odd years for a sniff? It is time to be tough and make the RIGHT decisions. Malthouse is available, TAKE HIM.

The whole club needs a Rocket up the clacker, and you know what-The supporters are doing it right now. Whether you agree or not, the anger has not subsided since thursday, and i do not just mean on here either.

i truly hope we get a big turn out to the games over the next 2 weeks.

Edited by why you little

I'd like to see some of our nice boys shirk contests with Lethal or Mick watching from the sidelines.

We need a coach our players ... from Col Sylvia through to Jamie Bennell ... fear and respect in equal measure.

Mick left a Mess after leaving the Doggies. And left a dirty Cultural Mess @ the West Coast Eagles, that kept going with Woosha.

Give me Roos, a mans Man... Or Matthews, a Mans man of the highest order.

Or A Viney, mentored by a Roos or Matthews.

# : No TV presenters please.

If things continue as they are - we will be having meaningful chats with Mick.

But...

Some of you are embarrassing yourselves; Collingwood are the team they are because of the structures and discipline that Mick has helped to ingrain off the field.

Talk of an 'evil eye' or an intimadatory glare at breaks being 'what we need' is absolute rubbish.

I wish it were that simple.

Bailey may lose his job, and if he does he should thank the 'leadership group.'

Many of you believe they will develop their consistency and desire for the contest under a new coach - I don't.

If Bailey goes then this year is a failure and I would sack Green and the LG. And start again, with players under 25.

Malthouse has coached for 27 years and won 3 flags, that's an average of 1 every 9 years. Dean Bailey is in to his 4th year, with his list in that time being of the poorest of standards, and facilities to match.

Give DB a 2 year extension, give him the opportunity to coach in the first year of our so called premiership window. While he is still developing some areas, this is the first genuine year where he can put more expectations on the players in terms of results. At seasons end, I belive we will be fighting for a place in the 8, but will probably finish 9th or 10th. Next year he will have his young troops with an extra year under their belt, and an extra preseason. A finals spot next year is quite important.

If he fails, then his replacement in 2014 will still have 6 years of some quality players and win a flag.

ARE YOU SERIOUS?