Mick Malthouse

Range Rover

Fellow Demoniacs ...

The current premiership coach and architect of Collingwood's current era of dominance will quite possibly be available to coach a rival club at the of this season. Despite the "Kirrbilli" style agreement brokered with Eddie McGuire and Nathan Buckley, Mick Malthouse has given every indication that he would like to coach on and appears to be right at the top of his game.

Regardless of how you feel about Dean Bailey's performance to date, should we be canvassing the possibility of making a play for this man as our senior coach heading into season 2012?

We are only going to get one chance at creating our own era of dominance with the talented young list we have assembled.

Surely we would be derelict in our duty if we don't at least look at him?

Fellow Demoniacs ...

The current premiership coach and architect of Collingwood's current era of dominance will quite possibly be available to coach a rival club at the of this season. Despite the "Kirrbilli" style agreement brokered with Eddie McGuire and Nathan Buckley, Mick Malthouse has given every indication that he would like to coach on and appears to be right at the top of his game.

Regardless of how you feel about Dean Bailey's performance to date, should we be canvassing the possibility of making a play for this man as our senior coach heading into season 2012?

We are only going to get one chance at creating our own era of dominance with the talented young list we have assembled.

Surely we would be derelict in our duty if we don't at least look at him?

If the Club deems that Bailey needs to be replaced I would prefer Roos if available.

I would take him in a heart beat however I think (based on recent comments) that there is very little chance he will leave the Pies.

Things can change but Roos has said on numerous occasions he is not interested in coaching another side.

So for better or worse we have Bailey.

If we do not win more than 8 games this year (we have a very good draw). I think he will struggle to hold the job. However we are then faced with going back to the untried lot.

Do we really want to start with another untried Coach who thinks we went the wrong way and start another 4 year player selection and new game plan.

Perhaps we will have no option!

Malthouse has coached for 27 years and won 3 flags, that's an average of 1 every 9 years. Dean Bailey is in to his 4th year, with his list in that time being of the poorest of standards, and facilities to match.

Give DB a 2 year extension, give him the opportunity to coach in the first year of our so called premiership window. While he is still developing some areas, this is the first genuine year where he can put more expectations on the players in terms of results. At seasons end, I belive we will be fighting for a place in the 8, but will probably finish 9th or 10th. Next year he will have his young troops with an extra year under their belt, and an extra preseason. A finals spot next year is quite important.

If he fails, then his replacement in 2014 will still have 6 years of some quality players and win a flag.

Fellow Demoniacs ...

We are only going to get one chance at creating our own era of dominance with the talented young list we have assembled. Surely we would be derelict in our duty if we don't at least look at him?

Yes, BUT remember collingwoods success is not 100% on Mick, their FD had a [censored] load of cash thrown into is, their resources available are massive, and i do not think melbourne can come anywhere close to this.

Malthouse has coached for 27 years and won 3 flags, that's an average of 1 every 9 years. Dean Bailey is in to his 4th year, with his list in that time being of the poorest of standards, and facilities to match.

Give DB a 2 year extension, give him the opportunity to coach in the first year of our so called premiership window. While he is still developing some areas, this is the first genuine year where he can put more expectations on the players in terms of results. At seasons end, I belive we will be fighting for a place in the 8, but will probably finish 9th or 10th. Next year he will have his young troops with an extra year under their belt, and an extra preseason. A finals spot next year is quite important.

If he fails, then his replacement in 2014 will still have 6 years of some quality players and win a flag.

How many GF did he teams in, how many finals campaigns did he coach, where did his sides finish on the ladder each year?? He has a proven track record.

When employing staff, you get the best of the best, not settle for someone who may make it..

If the Club deems that Bailey needs to be replaced I would prefer Roos if available.

you want to watch his dour, unexciting style of play every week?

No thanks, i go to the footy to be entertained and watch a style of footy that is exciting, he does not provide that

I'd take him. Every day of the week.

That said, Bailey can still salvage this season. It is only Round 3. The expectation for the club would have to be at least 10th, with a minimum of ten wins. (8 wins last year, plus the draw, the 1pt loss vs Collingwood, the 4pt loss vs Bulldogs, the 10pt loss vs Freo) So...

GC (there)

Adelaide (here)

North (Dome)

Richmond (here)

Port (Darwin)

Richmond (here)

GC (Here)

Port (Adelaide)

Plus a win elsewhere against a top 8/top 4 contender. Hopefully against Carlton because I will be there loud and proud with all my Carlton-supporting friends. Or against the Filth.

Fellow Demoniacs ...

We are only going to get one chance at creating our own era of dominance with the talented young list we have assembled. Surely we would be derelict in our duty if we don't at least look at him?

Any topline AFL Coach would do similarly with all the money and resources at their disposal, not to mention other factors such as home games, draw, etc,etc.

He's a good coach but Not better IMO, than Roos.

you want to watch his dour, unexciting style of play every week?

No thanks, i go to the footy to be entertained and watch a style of footy that is exciting, he does not provide that

How about one of these Deeflog? Do you go to the footy and support the Demons with the dream of winning one of these?

post-5850-0-06800900-1302742649_thumb.jp

How many GF did he teams in, how many finals campaigns did he coach, where did his sides finish on the ladder each year?? He has a proven track record.

When employing staff, you get the best of the best, not settle for someone who may make it..

Then why would we stop at Malthouse, why not throw Bomber Thompson the job? He took a team that were in a similar state as ours, and made them a powerhouse over many years. I would prefer Bomber over Malthouse.

Obviously when Geelong offered him the job they didn't agree with your attitude (not saying it's a bad one) about employing the best of the best. Then all of a sudden, after a few years of heartache/rebuilding/whatever you want to call it, Thompson became the best coach in the AFL. It is an eerily similar path that we are travelling.

Then why would we stop at Malthouse, why not throw Bomber Thompson the job? He took a team that were in a similar state as ours, and made them a powerhouse over many years. I would prefer Bomber over Malthouse.

Obviously when Geelong offered him the job they didn't agree with your attitude (not saying it's a bad one) about employing the best of the best. Then all of a sudden, after a few years of heartache/rebuilding/whatever you want to call it, Thompson became the best coach in the AFL. It is an eerily similar path that we are travelling.

Don't know that we could afford to pay out Bomber's contract. I would take him every day of the week if he was simply uncontracted, but the reports of the size of his contract make me not want to.

Don't know that we could afford to pay out Bomber's contract. I would take him every day of the week if he was simply uncontracted, but the reports of the size of his contract make me not want to.

Sorry, I thought while people were living in fanatsy land about thinking we would have Malthouse coaching us in the near future meant that I could join their strange, lonely little world.

Thanks for bringing me back to normality!

Sorry, I thought while people were living in fanatsy land about thinking we would have Malthouse coaching us in the near future meant that I could join their strange, lonely little world.

Why is it fantasy land? Explain ...

haha, Sarcasm + internet = generally poor translation, need to pick up on my reading of such things

Why is it fantasy land? Explain ...

Why? Well, for a start, why would Malthouse want to come to Melbourne? Why would we think Malthouse would be the best thing for Melbourne? Is it becuase he is the best coach at the moment? If we adapted that philosiphy, we would be changing coach every couple of years.

While there is a strong case for people to argue differently, what is to say that Bailey isn't going to be the best coach in the AFL in 2013? Is it going to harm the club by giving him the opportunity to prove himself when the Club, not the supporters, are expecting us to challenge for a premiership? We are talking about being a team of the decade, well, I'll be happy to be the team of the 9 years if it means giving this guy a chance.

Don't forget, in Malthouse's first stint as an AFL/VFL coach, his record was 7th, 3rd, 8th, 7th, 8th, 13th. That was when it was a top 5, and there weren't 17 teams in the league. His time at West Coast was fantastic, but he had an amazing playing list, to the point where I might have coached them to success! At Collingwood, it took him 10 years to get the team he wanted and to win a flag.

Malthouse has been quite successful, and his sides have played a lot of finals footy. But I want my side to win a lot of premierships, and even at Collingwood, the most powerful club in the league, that had the best facilities for a massive chunk of the last decade, he still only managed 1 premiership.

So, my question to you is, do you think Malthouse will come straight in and win a premiership at Melbourne? I'm doubtful, and history shows that it even takes him time to get there, unless you have a team with a lot of top players that were often subject to the rumours of getting additional help!

haha, Sarcasm + internet = generally poor translation, need to pick up on my reading of such things

Well, to some degree it wasn't being sarcastic when I suggested that if we want the best of the best we should target Thompson. His payout figure of his contract would/could be covered within his first couple of years when he wins us a premiership.

God I want the Dees to win a premiership, more than anything. I hate Mick Malthouse, but like the way players who play under him play. It is exciting and fast and tough. It is why I loved footy in the first place. I love Paul Roos, think he's a fantastic coach and has an amazing footy brain. But I hate the way his players play the game. He (followed by Ross Lyon) are IMO responsible for the BS arm wrestle football and low scores we have seen over the last decade, and it stinks. It isn't why I loved footy as a kid. And I despise the Swans and Saints for it. Despite how much I do actually admire Roos, I'd take Malthouse anyday to have a winning team that I can admire for their exciting, courageous game plan than have a winning team who I kinda don't enjoy watching as much.

How many did Bomba get?

How many has a, Malthouse?

But then again, there is another former Coach, who has the wood on both of these, commentating at the moment.

But then again, there is another former Coach, who has the wood on both of these, commentating at the moment.

He made it pretty clear on Open Mike he had no interest in coaching anymore. He said he doesn't want to move from Qld and is enjoying having time to spend with his grandchildren. There comes a time when every great coach retires and I think his has passed.

How many did Bomba get?

How many has a, Malthouse?

Bomber = 2 in 10years (61% winning record). Think over the past 10 years, he has been a better coach than Malthouse.

Are you talking about Malcolm Blight? Just kidding! But seriously, who are you talking about that's commentating?

Quoting Billy2083:

Why? Well, for a start, why would Malthouse want to come to Melbourne?

Money, the challenge and a desire to win more premierships. In whatever order.

Why would we think Malthouse would be the best thing for Melbourne?

Best coach going around. Runs on the board. Multiple premiership cups in the closet.

Is it because he is the best coach at the moment?

Yes.

While there is a strong case for people to argue differently, what is to say that Bailey isn't going to be the best coach in the AFL in 2013?

No-one can crystal ball this type of thing. It's not an argument against Bailey, but for Malthouse.

Is it going to harm the club by giving him the opportunity to prove himself when the Club, not the supporters, are expecting us to challenge for a premiership?

Quite possibly, yes. Years of development and success may be wasted with the wrong person at the helm.

So, my question to you is, do you think Malthouse will come straight in and win a premiership at Melbourne?

I think he has the best resume and record of the current coaches available. Therefore, he should be looked at.

How that all makes me exist in a "lonely little world", as you put it, has got me beat.

Edited by Range Rover

So, my question to you is, do you think Malthouse will come straight in and win a premiership at Melbourne?

I think he has the best resume and record of the current coaches available. Therefore, he should be looked at.

How that all makes me exist in a lonely little world, as you put it, has got me beat.

Evidence to back that up? I will only accept an artice from the Wonderland Times!

Edited by billy2803

Even the "best of the best" have to start somewhere.

Evidence to back that up? I will only accept an artice from the Wonderland Times!

Sure ...

* 1985 and 1991 Players Association Coach of the Year

* 1991 Inaugural AFL Coach of the Year

* 1992 Institute of Sport Coach of the Year [1]

* Richmond premiership player 1980

* West Coast premiership coach 1992 and 1994

* 2008 International Rules Series Coach

* 2010 International Rules Series Coach

* 2010 AFLCA Coach of the Year

* Collingwood premiership coach 2010

* 2nd longest serving coach of the Collingwood FC behind Jock McHale.

* 2nd (all time) most games coached at AFL/VFL level.

* 3rd most wins as coach (all time).