Outs vs Brisbane Lions

'Robinson Crusoe' = lost? wrecked?

If you are over 15 and don't understand a simple, well-known phrase like that - you need help. Perhaps you would fit in better with the Collingwood fans whose age is usually higher than their IQ and can count to ten using their teeth.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have all the info and understanding of the FD but Petterd being dropped seems unfair. He wasn't great last week but he wasn't Robinson Crusoe either. Jones and Dunn VERY lucky to hold their places ahead of him. There is a huge upside with Petterd - he can take a contested mark inside 50.

Morton for the sub. He lacks match fitness so wouldn't last a game out, but can really go for it for 1 - 2 quarters, barring injury to one of the starting 21 prior.

Fair call. I think Jones should have been the one to go, what is he going to provide us this Sunday? Bailey wont drop him, just like Watts. It's funny that he stated that players had to earn a spot in the side. Jones???

Cant wait to watch Gysberts.

Kill EM.

I don't have all the info and understanding of the FD but Petterd being dropped seems unfair. He wasn't great last week but he wasn't Robinson Crusoe either. Jones and Dunn VERY lucky to hold their places ahead of him. There is a huge upside with Petterd - he can take a contested mark inside 50.

Morton for the sub. He lacks match fitness so wouldn't last a game out, but can really go for it for 1 - 2 quarters, barring injury to one of the starting 21 prior.

Perhaps the first half of your first sentence says it all.

I bet you and many on here also wouldn't understand the varous roles Jones is assigned each week which may not net him huge possessions, but may actually influence the game by restricting the bloke he is on...

I can't believe how much Jones hatred exists around here.....

Lack of intensity,pressure and no impact. Just didnt do enough.

Ummh, that was lacking from a few, from half way through the second Qtr. We took the foot Off the gas peddle Mid Qtr. That let the Hawks off the floor. that was the start of the Rot.

I'm now guessing that the selectors have their eyes on a few culprits,,, who went, missing in the second,,, and those who lost their composure in the 3rd. Probably they will all get the shove, at some time when they can be replaced.

I thought Petterd was fairly average, but so were a lot of our players after halftime.

Has it occurred to anyone that he may have been a bit flat as a result of his stint as the reserve?

I think it's entirely possible we will start to see a trend of players having average performances the week after being named sub.

Also, the player that is subbed out should also be doing extra running to maintain fitness, but I've not yet seen this.

I'll watch closely up in the bar after the match on Sunday to see how we do it.

yeah very worried about dropping petterd for the game - he killed them in this game last year. I reckon he'll play TBH. Also I have a bad feeling about this match like you know whenever everyone expects us to win we lose - ie west coast last year..... sorry to be pessimistic folks but who can blame me right?

jones will stay because he is a tough bugger and bailey likes that - grimes another one lucky to keep his spot IMO.

would have thought joel mac to get a run against his old side for grimes (who needs to refocus in the 2s) (all a bit too late from me i know)

I called for Petterds head in another thread and was I howled down. Glad great minds think alike.

I can't agree with you. Apart from Jurrah, Petterd is our most potent forward at the moment. He works extremely hard in to keep the ball alive in the forward 50 once the ball is on the ground. He is also the best contested mark and along with Jurrah, the hardest to match up. Morton, in my opinion, is about as effective as Bruce. He is a good, free running link player with iffy disposal. Replacing Petterd with an underdone Morton (if that's what they've done), is crazy

Perhaps the first half of your first sentence says it all.

I bet you and many on here also wouldn't understand the varous roles Jones is assigned each week which may not net him huge possessions, but may actually influence the game by restricting the bloke he is on...

I can't believe how much Jones hatred exists around here.....

I'm another one who can't believe the Jones hatred. All I have seen from Nathan Jones over 4 years is a steady improvement in all areas, with his role and responsibility growing accordingly. He will adapt to his new leadership role in the current midfield and become as indispensable as he clearly was last year. I have no doubt of this. The same opinions apply to Brent Moloney....god forbid he drop below his 23 or more possessions per game, which with Jamar was the top clearance partnership in the AFL last year. Because if he does, how quickly a whole swathe of Demonlanders will be labelling him slow, a hack, and under threat from those who have hardly had a kick with the big boys, eg. Gysberts, Blease. If I imagine a current Melbourne lineup without Jones or Moloney, it frightens me. If you think we're getting pushed around by midfields such as Hawthorn's and Geelong's now, I shudder to think how bad that could be without either of those two.

I thought Petterd was fairly average, but so were a lot of our players after halftime.

Has it occurred to anyone that he may have been a bit flat as a result of his stint as the reserve?

I think it's entirely possible we will start to see a trend of players having average performances the week after being named sub.

Also, the player that is subbed out should also be doing extra running to maintain fitness, but I've not yet seen this.

Surely you're kidding if you imagine they'd be doing that on the MCG after the game?

Surely you're kidding if you imagine they'd be doing that on the MCG after the game?

Considering I stood up there having a beer while I watched them do Petterd's extra sprint session on the MCG after the match against the Swans... yes, I do think it's likely.

Petterd mentioned in one of his MFC articles that the fitness staff had hm out there doing sprints to try and simulate game day fatigue... something along those lines.

We're heading pretty close to our best 22 now.

The only players in our best 22 who aren't in there atm are

1. Scully

2. Mckenzie

3. Petterd (yes i know he got dropped this week, but we all know he'll play 18+ games this season)

As our youngsters are now starting to develop, our depth players are becoming clearer

- Macdonald, Bate, Warnock, Spenser, Maric and Jetta are clearly players that are not considered best 22. They will play a few games this year for sure, but will get dropped when a top22 player comes back.

Interestingly, while we used to have lots of highly rated first round picks waiting in the wings, most of them have started to establish themselves. We now have only 2 players- Blease and Gawn- who were very highly rated juniors who are yet to strut their stuff, and of coarse our first year players.

We only have 4 players on the list not playing afl or vfl- Scully, Mckenzie, Cam Johnson (Rookie), Robbie Campbell (Rookie)

In the long run, having virtually our whole list playing and our best 22 playing together each and every week will benefit us a lot in the long term

I'm another one who can't believe the Jones hatred. All I have seen from Nathan Jones over 4 years is a steady improvement in all areas, with his role and responsibility growing accordingly. He will adapt to his new leadership role in the current midfield and become as indispensable as he clearly was last year. I have no doubt of this. The same opinions apply to Brent Moloney....god forbid he drop below his 23 or more possessions per game, which with Jamar was the top clearance partnership in the AFL last year. Because if he does, how quickly a whole swathe of Demonlanders will be labelling him slow, a hack, and under threat from those who have hardly had a kick with the big boys, eg. Gysberts, Blease. If I imagine a current Melbourne lineup without Jones or Moloney, it frightens me. If you think we're getting pushed around by midfields such as Hawthorn's and Geelong's now, I shudder to think how bad that could be without either of those two.

Take your common sense elsewhere buddy, this is Demonland!

Morton in for Petterd, against the lions, is a real shame. All Petterd needs is some deilvery to come into the game. I can understand why Morton comes in after such a humiliating loss being caused by the midfield tiring so quickly... but what happens when it goes forward now?

Considering I stood up there having a beer while I watched them do Petterd's extra sprint session on the MCG after the match against the Swans... yes, I do think it's likely.

Zing.

We're heading pretty close to our best 22 now.

I agree.

Petterd mentioned in one of his MFC articles that the fitness staff had hm out there doing sprints to try and simulate game day fatigue... something along those lines.

Yeah, he did, I watched as he did it.

But my point is that not just the player named as the substitute who gets a short run as a result, but also the player who is subbed out as they also don't get a full game into them.

Both should complete extra running (of course, injuries permitting).

Zing.

It is worth mentioning that I didn't notice if Jetta or Maric did any extra running on the G after the Hawthorn match, but I was preoccupied and wasn't looking for it.

It is worth mentioning that I didn't notice if Jetta or Maric did any extra running on the G after the Hawthorn match, but I was preoccupied and wasn't looking for it.

If what I saw during the match was any indication, I'm pretty sure Jetta was unable to do any extra running after the game ;)

To be honest, I didn't notice him much out there at all.

Do you mean that he ran himself into the ground?

I wouldn't be surprised. I don't think he's the type to die wondering.

To be honest, I didn't notice him much out there at all.

Do you mean that he ran himself into the ground?

I wouldn't be surprised. I don't think he's the type to die wondering.

I mean that after every involvement he looked knackered. He'd run 20 metres and then stand around catching his breath. It was pretty surprising.

I did notice him cramping late against Sydney.

And although I didn't pay particular interest to him against the Hawks, I do think I know what you are talking about.

He shouldn't be unfit at this time of year.

Interesting. I always thought of him as having a half-decent tank.

Did he have any injuries in the preseason? I can't remember any.