Todd Viney Evaluation Article

Cards13

Another of Todd's articles, very light one detail but one point stuck out to me:

"Were still a developing team and were not in the premiership window yet:"

So expect another year or two of development folks who are getting a little excited about where we are at.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7415/newsid/109883/default.aspx

Edited by Cards13

Another of Todd's articles, very light one detail but one point stuck out to me:

"We’re still a developing team and we’re not in the premiership window yet:"

So expect another year or two of development folks who are getting a little excited about where we are at.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7415/newsid/109883/default.aspx

I like the 2nd last paragraph as well....When giving the players specific targets to reach with their football and physical skills we are setting the bar very high against some of the elite players and premiership players in the competition.

We the supporters must have faith and get right behind our coaching Panel.

Even though our window may not be open just yet, if we're going to ever be the real deal with this current crop you'd have to expect them to be capable of punching above their weight this season. Getting games and experience into players is of course essential but if they don't show standout qualities (thinking of Brad Green in his first season as an example) from the get go and start climbing up the ladder this year, then I very much doubt we're going to be in with a shot at a flag in the next few years.

My gut feeling about this season is we're going to be about the same as last year or may even go backwards and that doesn't fill me with confidence for the future.

That kind of annoys me in a way. Essentially the message we're getting there is "lower your eyes a bit." It certainly seems like the club's people are concerned by the general consensus that this team SHOULD be playing finals this year. I want to know why that bothers the THAT much. I mean, we were in the running until very late last year, we have a largely fit list with only a few injuries in the 3-4 week category, we have no excuses essentially. I haven't seen a SINGLE fan talk like we're in a premiership window this year. Why is the line that we're still a ways off being rolled out?

Other clubs with young lists are giving themselves every chance of top 4. Our fans are realistic about it, even though we've had to wait 3 years for any hope... 4 if you count 2007. They should be talking us up saying we won't accept anything LESS than finals. We're as good a chance as more than half the final-8 threats in the league right now...

That kind of annoys me in a way. Essentially the message we're getting there is "lower your eyes a bit." It certainly seems like the club's people are concerned by the general consensus that this team SHOULD be playing finals this year.

Totally agree Dappa, all one needs to do is watch Brissy last night, Adelaide last night, Port at times yesterday and even Richmond in the third to see that the window is not all it is about. The effort and intent shown by an injury ravaged team, and a bunch of debutants last night in Brisbane goes to show that a desire to win at all costs goes a long way to success. I am well aware that we aren't yet as far advanced as maybe some think we are, however there comes a time where a team needs to stand up and say that they are overachievers, and show it for all the world to see. Make no mistake, I really don't like Brisbane at all as a footy team, but I've never been so impressed as I was last night. The fact that they had six first gamers also become first goalers says enough. There is absolutely no reason we should "lower our eyes a bit", because we have the talent, that when matched with effort, should give us hope and a reason to raise our heads up high.

That kind of annoys me in a way. Essentially the message we're getting there is "lower your eyes a bit." It certainly seems like the club's people are concerned by the general consensus that this team SHOULD be playing finals this year. I want to know why that bothers the THAT much. I mean, we were in the running until very late last year, we have a largely fit list with only a few injuries in the 3-4 week category, we have no excuses essentially. I haven't seen a SINGLE fan talk like we're in a premiership window this year. Why is the line that we're still a ways off being rolled out?

Other clubs with young lists are giving themselves every chance of top 4. Our fans are realistic about it, even though we've had to wait 3 years for any hope... 4 if you count 2007. They should be talking us up saying we won't accept anything LESS than finals. We're as good a chance as more than half the final-8 threats in the league right now...

It's not rocket science.

The club is not imposing limits on what the players should be trying to achieve, rather they are trying to manage the expectations of supporters who are well known for getting ahead of themselves.

The players get told one thing, the supporters/media another.

Is it that complex that you don't understand this..?

A very impressive sentence:

We’re still a developing team and we’re not in the premiership window yet; if we were an older team and in the premiership window, greater time would be spent on tactics and game-plan.

It's not often a footy person uses a semi-colon.

It's not rocket science.

The club is not imposing limits on what the players should be trying to achieve, rather they are trying to manage the expectations of supporters who are well known for getting ahead of themselves.

It has always been such but that does mean it does not get up your nose occasionaly!

And perhaps by managing or quelling the expectations of those supporters, in turn, might take the heat or pressure off the club in re-signing Dean Bailey on a new contract; rather than chase a new coach - which I'm sure those "supporters" wanting finals this year will want - if we don't make the finals this year.

It's not rocket science.

What?

Of course I understand it. Did you actually read my post? My point was that I haven't come across any supporters who've put their expectations up so high that they expect us to be in a premiership window. There are a few stragglers here and there that seem to have forgotten the last 4 years, but the VAST majority hope for 7th or 8th as a best case scenario. IN fact someone started a thread a month ago or so that put us in the top 4, and the response was that everyone here thought they were a fool. Now granted that could just be my vantage point, but I haven't seen any supporters other than this one "getting ahead of themselves."