Casey Scorpions v Frankston

Grapeviney

Guest DeesPower

I agree Gawny was good with his taps to advantage.

Our rucks dominated, but against what.

IMO Spencer, is way closer than Gawn. Gawn is still too small in the lower half, & I think he'd struggle atmo, against mature AFL rucks. Gotter get bigger through the hips and Legs.

Spencer's looking strong, and ran around from a close in tight angle to slot a nice goal across his body. Maturing is this boy. Readying himself for a crack at it.

I thought that was more or less what I said....

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that was more or less what I said....

Yeah, probably?

And to add, I also saw Michael Evans. Liked what I saw.

There was a couple of excellent long penetrating kicks out of the defence, one was certainly Evans, and maybe both plays,,,, that I saw.

I was distracted talking to fellow Dees. So I missed a bit of the action. Nice afternoon.

Guest DeesPower

The Frankston side looked younger and cleaner, more skilled, different, than past sides I've seen of theirs.

They made some good passages of play with clean ball movement.

Agree. They were not the walkover of the past. I think some on here should judge on what they see and not on reputations.

I think we need to go In,,,, With a physically mature team for the first 3 or 4 Rnds, with Jnr & Bruce, & Frawley & Morton, & McKenzie, out.

we need to have a physically mature side for Sydney & Hawthorn, then we can IMO, bring in some 'skilled', ones.

We Must keep up a momentum,,, Not get smashed by a more physical outfit.

Bring in more pace & skill for the Lions game, onwards.

I imagine we'd be better off going with pace in rd 1. I would play our most mature team possible against the Hawks, or at least hard bodied, but against Sydney I think we've just got to run around and through them for as long as we can. The swans are without Bolton, Roberts-Thompson, Kennelly, Malceski and Bradshaw. I don't know where they have been training over the summer, so I don't know if the length of the MCG will bother them at this time of the year, but I think we need to go with pace and skill to give ourselves the best chance of beating them. And we will need a second ruckman...They'll play Mumford and Seaby who are both capable big men. Seaby will spend a lot of time up forward, alongside White perhaps? & Goodes so they will have plenty of height. Their defense is under-strength, and if we can get the ball in there then we have plenty of options which can worry them. I just hope we have the guts to win the hard ball out of the center.

I imagine we'd be better off going with pace in rd 1. I would play our most mature team possible against the Hawks, or at least hard bodied, but against Sydney I think we've just got to run around and through them for as long as we can. The swans are without Bolton, Roberts-Thompson, Kennelly, Malceski and Bradshaw. I don't know where they have been training over the summer, so I don't know if the length of the MCG will bother them at this time of the year, but I think we need to go with pace and skill to give ourselves the best chance of beating them. And we will need a second ruckman...They'll play Mumford and Seaby who are both capable big men. Seaby will spend a lot of time up forward, alongside White perhaps? & Goodes so they will have plenty of height. Their defense is under-strength, and if we can get the ball in there then we have plenty of options which can worry them. I just hope we have the guts to win the hard ball out of the center.

I don't believe you can make Too Mnay Big changes to a Team structurely, from one week to the next.

Sydney are a well matured strong side, as are Hawthorn. We are down a bit in experience and through injuries for the firsdt week or two. the danger is if we go all out with our pacy kids & skilled recruits, we could get 'Smashed'. THAT would set us back 6 weeks.

I would play a mature side with the pace of Davey,,, and Jetta or Maric,, and try to play on our terms.

* After the Hawks game, we'll have Frawley back, and Probably Morton, poss' McKenzie.

I think this is the time to start taking some risks with selection. With Frawley back, and Morton in, I would then like to see a switch with Grimes & Trengove... Our Mids are looking a bit young, and we've been calling for Grimes to start his midfield tilt, and, he would add some Class, to the midfield in/under grunt.

Trengove would add some youthful maturity and disposal class to the half backline, responibility personified. Plays tall for his size. Beautiful reader of the play with the attacking vision & flair. Time for him to learn that 'Bluey McKenna' role.

Agree that was a great report, many thanks for the opinions on the individual players as well.

Great to hear Petterd getting back into the goals, and it will be fantastic if he carries that form into Round 1. Also stoked to hear about Gawn, it sounds like he has massive potential and will be very handy for us in years to come. Also good to hear Wona getting back into it and I would love to see him in the side if only for his forward pressure.

I am hoping that Tapscott gets a run early in the season, I have not seen him play but from all accounts he is going to be more than handy for us. I think the best thing to come out of this is the competition for spots in the side it creates.

Again thanks for the great report.

Weren't you one of those talking up the importance of NAB challenge games and our poor performance in them?

A practice match is a practice match...

It's not the importance of the match it was the fact we demonstrated little improvement either individually or as a team. I'd be more than happy for us to play kids each week in the nab challenge as long as I could see some game plan and some individual improvement.

I don't think that has anything to do with the fact that Spencer looked rubbish against Brisbane (despite winning hit outs) and anyone who calls for his inclusion or comments on his impressive performance in a VFL practice match is kidding themselves.

It's not the importance of the match it was the fact we demonstrated little improvement either individually or as a team. I'd be more than happy for us to play kids each week in the nab challenge as long as I could see some game plan and some individual improvement.

I don't think that has anything to do with the fact that Spencer looked rubbish against Brisbane (despite winning hit outs) and anyone who calls for his inclusion or comments on his impressive performance in a VFL practice match is kidding themselves.

Hi GS,

That's George Moodie, a follower in our first premiership side in 1900.

I picked it up from the full points footy website.

Cheers,

Bob.

Thanks for that Bob.

I have 69 images of pre 1930 Demons including another shot of Moodie and a few others from the 1900 Flag team.

If ever you are interested I could send them on.

I am accumulating images and hope to upload them onto Demonology eventually. I have 439 all told however many pre 1950 players are difficult to find.

Guest DeesPower

Agree that was a great report, many thanks for the opinions on the individual players as well.

Great to hear Petterd getting back into the goals, and it will be fantastic if he carries that form into Round 1. Also stoked to hear about Gawn, it sounds like he has massive potential and will be very handy for us in years to come. Also good to hear Wona getting back into it and I would love to see him in the side if only for his forward pressure.

I am hoping that Tapscott gets a run early in the season, I have not seen him play but from all accounts he is going to be more than handy for us. I think the best thing to come out of this is the competition for spots in the side it creates.

Again thanks for the great report.

Tapscott is very impressive with ball in hand and his disposal but does not get nearly enough of it. What I like about him is that he is a "hard nut", not unlike Sylvia in some respects, great kick, good mark for his size and really hard at it. By the way, wait for the dish off to him b/w 50 and 65m out for the long bomb. The did it a couple of times on Saturday and he very nearly goaded each time. One from about 65m out against the breeze just missed but went through at about half way upthe goal post. He is even more of a prodigious kick than weatley. He also did a few long bombs out of the backline against Brisbane that must have gone 70m plus. He will also be used to run in from the kick ins for a behind and bomb it up to the centre circle. He can do that with one kick.

To change the subject a little, given the height of Sydney down back who thinks that Martin might playdown there as a permanent back pocket. Without chip we might be a bit short for sydney's tAll forward line. I also think they will play Spencer but in Ruck and resting down forward. Similarly Jamar.

To change the subject a little, given the height of Sydney down back who thinks that Martin might playdown there as a permanent back pocket. Without chip we might be a bit short for sydney's tAll forward line. I also think they will play Spencer but in Ruck and resting down forward. Similarly Jamar.

With Dunn looking doubtful my guess is that Martin will take Goodes.

Does anyone think that Gysberts may play in Round 1 given today according to reports he played well in traffic or difficult conditions and had "reduced minutes ?"

IMO we lack in the first possession, clearance area (also tackling department) and without McKenzie and certainly no Junior we seem impotent in that area.

Thank-you to those who provided reports.

HT, I would like to see him in. I was at the game Saturday and although he was far from dominant, he was noticed around the stoppages and extracts a fair amount of ball from these contests. I don't need to mention how lacking we are in this area.

I think he should play. His ability in this area alone will be a positive and time on ground can be managed. Luke Tapscott is another that should play in round 1 as he will win plenty of ball at AFL level and his use of it is so much better than some we have chopping it up currently.

I though Spencer looked really good in the ruck and Gawn is looking bigger in the arms. Blease impresses also when he can get the ball from a stoppage and has a clean pair of heels, I've seen these a few times now at Casey and hope to see it soon in Demon red and blue.

Petterd was excellent and will play. I was hugely surprised with how quick Wonna's body shape has got back to the required state, he looks better than this time last year IMO and will be close rnd 1. Great sign!

Tom McDonald - really impressive and will be close very soon on this form. Joel Mac beware!

I think we need to go In,,,, With a physically mature team for the first 3 or 4 Rnds, with Jnr & Bruce, & Frawley & Morton, & McKenzie, out.

we need to have a physically mature side for Sydney & Hawthorn, then we can IMO, bring in some 'skilled', ones.

We Must keep up a momentum,,, Not get smashed by a more physical outfit.

Bring in more pace & skill for the Lions game, onwards.

A physically mature side??? The bulk of the list is sub 23. Who do you think can come straight in to the side to give us a physically mature team? And why are the "phyisically mature" players necesssarily not "skilled"??

HT, I would like to see him in. I was at the game Saturday and although he was far from dominant, he was noticed around the stoppages and extracts a fair amount of ball from these contests. I don't need to mention how lacking we are in this area.

I think he should play. His ability in this area alone will be a positive and time on ground can be managed. Luke Tapscott is another that should play in round 1 as he will win plenty of ball at AFL level and his use of it is so much better than some we have chopping it up currently.

I though Spencer looked really good in the ruck and Gawn is looking bigger in the arms. Blease impresses also when he can get the ball from a stoppage and has a clean pair of heels, I've seen these a few times now at Casey and hope to see it soon in Demon red and blue.

Petterd was excellent and will play. I was hugely surprised with how quick Wonna's body shape has got back to the required state, he looks better than this time last year IMO and will be close rnd 1. Great sign!

Tom McDonald - really impressive and will be close very soon on this form. Joel Mac beware!

Thanks DH. Both yours and Hannibal's comments on Wonaeamirri are music to the ears. Although O'Donnell's comments might suggest that there might be just a little further work to do to get just a bit more fitter.

Spencer is improving gradually which is a real positive IMO. He can only get better, but what I like about him is his competitive streak and physicality.

The McDonald comments are more and more positive each outing which is what we need down back - a bit of depth.

Tapscott might need a bit more footy IMO before his debut.