Scully's management to talk to Melbourne this week

SoNotFunny

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As yet no one has come up with any logical reason why he would be having a Press conference to say anything other than he's re-signed. Anything else is just fueling the GWS talk. Surely the club is now smarter than that.

I agree. If he had a press conference to basically re-read his management's original statement, the club wouldn't bother. Something new will be said.

I'm not sure it will.

He has not yet fronted the media personally and it will be impossible to avoid that scenario all season long.

The sooner he gets it's over and says something from his own mouth, the better.

Straight bat Scully, play the year out, sign once he sits down & assesses the situation and realises MFC is where he wants to be.

My main concern is that the GWS poaching committee back-doored us while we were in China.

Possibly contacting Scully's parents and offering huge dollars.

I'm hoping that when Scully flew home early from China for family reasons it wasn't because they were being bullied

into signing with GWS while we were on "tour" and not able to keep an eye on the situation.

Similar thoughts have crossed my mind. Some of the rumours(assuming they are true) have hinted that the deal has been done a long time ago relatively speaking.

My main concern is that the GWS poaching committee back-doored us while we were in China.

Possibly contacting Scully's parents and offering huge dollars.

I'm hoping that when Scully flew home early from China for family reasons it wasn't because they were being bullied

into signing with GWS while we were on "tour" and not able to keep an eye on the situation.

it's unfortunate that there is a post that warrants trotting it out 2 days in a row, in the same thread no less, but I'm afraid i'm going to have to...

4697_e947.gif

Similar thoughts have crossed my mind. Some of the rumours(assuming they are true) have hinted that the deal has been done a long time ago relatively speaking.

And you have no problem extrapolating from the 'hints' of a 'rumour'?

But please mention a large flightless bird or the actions of a baby/toddler...

Anything else in the armory?

i believe the herald article simply said velocity spors management will be speaking to most of their melbourne based players, which involves speaking to their clubs. i think the trip south is more about finding Fev a new home in the VFL. What will be,will be.

My favourite suggestion in this thread is that Scully will be announcing having signed a 1 year extension (!)

For the life of me, I cannot think of one person that could possibly get an advantage from that arrangement.

There is no positive.

My favourite suggestion in this thread is that Scully will be announcing having signed a 1 year extension (!)

For the life of me, I cannot think of one person that could possibly get an advantage from that arrangement.

There is no positive.

Scully gets 2 premierships before he leaves?

"Tom Scully's dilemma, which will get worse before it gets better, is one not of his creation."

I find that opening line in the Sheehan article a bit disingenuous. We all create our own reality to an extent. Tom's okayed the Velocity Sports directive on his contract status and you'd be naive to think they didn't consider the fall-out from that decision.

*Add to that - I don't think we'll be seeing Mike Sheehan wearing a set of Demon horns to the footy anytime soon.

Edited by Range Rover

"Tom Scully's dilemma, which will get worse before it gets better, is one not of his creation."

I find that opening line in the Sheehan article a bit disingenuous. We all create our own reality to an extent. Tom's okayed the Velocity Sports directive on his contract status and you'd be naive to think they didn't consider the fall-out from that decision.

*Add to that - I don't think we'll be seeing Mike Sheehan wearing a set of Demon horns to the footy anytime soon.

Please.

He's acting like a nervous, hand-wringing Melbourne Supporter whose belief that Melbourne is always destined for failure is an inherent and unavoidable truth.

For what it's worth, I am jumping on the sentiment that 'why have a press conference unless there is (good) news to tell'.

It does seem convenient that his management are meeting the dees (not to talk about Scully of course) and there is a press conference pending. I am being positive for now.

Too much will be read into a nothing press conference and I would personally feel let down as a supporter if he simply said 'I am waiting until the end of the year, cool your jets peoples'. That would indicate to me he doesn't feel overly passionate about the club and / or believe in the direction we are headed (cue Jack Trengove and most of our list).

You can say he didn't choose to play at MFC and all the rest, but either did the rest and that goes for all those who are out of contract and said I bleed [insert jumper colours]...

You can defend the big choice he has to make, but alot of others will have said no to GWS in similar circumstances. I don't see this as a normal job decision, this is a club (my work isn't called a club) and Australian sport which, for now, still has some integrity and loyalty attached to player movement - unlike the US and EPL etc...$$

This is ugly and if he continues to hold off then it can only impact our season. It impacted Geelong and they are a multiple premiership side. I feel Melbourne is still at the stage where everything has to go right for us to play finals i.e no major injuries, no umpires in pink and no media circus (it's selfish and I dont like it, I don't think Tom likes it either).

Please.

He's acting like a nervous, hand-wringing Melbourne Supporter whose belief that Melbourne is always destined for failure is an inherent and unavoidable truth.

reminds me of myself... but if I was writing an article to be published in the mass media I wouldn't put it on display like that. Remaining objective as a member of the media does not necessarily mean driving the sword into the club you supposedly support

he's a complete [censored] if you ask me

I believe many posters here are grossly under estimating Mr Sheehan. He is infinitely far more well connected in the football world than any of us. When he says things like this he does know something. He has nothing personal to gain and is risking his credibility if he is wrong. I remember last year he badgered James Hird for months about the coaching rumours on their Foxtel show and they all proved to be true despite the constant ducking and dodging from James.

I believe many posters here are grossly under estimating Mr Sheehan. He is infinitely far more well connected in the football world than any of us. When he says things like this he does know something. He has nothing personal to gain and is risking his credibility if he is wrong. I remember last year he badgered James Hird for months about the coaching rumours on their Foxtel show and they all proved to be true despite the constant ducking and dodging from James.

Mike's wrong as often as he's right. No football journalist ever risks their credibility, look at Rob Walls, wrong 99.95% of the time but still gainfully employed.

Without trying to upset the positive vibe around the news today

I was at golf day with Mike Sheehan last week and he says categorically that Scully has agreed to terms with GWS via his manager. A point to note that Graeme Allan of GWS is a very close friend of Mike's.

Although he has not officially signed with GWS an agreement via his management company Velocity and GWS has been done. Now before you all shoot me down please note that I am passing on what I heard with the other 100 people on that day

I obviously don't want to see him go but the details of this seem like its done

This story tallies with Sheahans's article this morning.

The implication here is that Tom has said he will sign with GWs at the end of the season.

The word from sources close to his family is that reports in the media about Tom are bulls%$t.

The club seems to be cautiously optimistic, or quietly confident.

It could be that Tom's management has agreed that the terms of the contract offered by GWS are reasonable, and are discussing the offer with Tom. They have emphatically denied that Tom has put pen to paper and signed anything.

If Tom holds a press conference this week, I hope someone asks him -'have you made a verbal agreement with your management to sign with GWS in 2011?'.

You are kidding, aren't you?

He know lots of people in the industry that are prepared to feed him misinformation to suit their own agendas, nothing more.

I heard he's delaying contract talks until the end of the year so he can sign a 5 year deal with the club he loves, the Tigers. He's just letting them have enough time to do their version of debt demolition so that they can afford his salary :P

this post has been made to demonstrate how much speculation is contained in some of these posts!!

This story tallies with Sheahans's article this morning.

The implication here is that Tom has said he will sign with GWs at the end of the season.

The word from sources close to his family is that reports in the media about Tom are bulls%$t.

The club seems to be cautiously optimistic, or quietly confident.

It could be that Tom's management has agreed that the terms of the contract offered by GWS are reasonable, and are discussing the offer with Tom. They have emphatically denied that Tom has put pen to paper and signed anything.

If Tom holds a press conference this week, I hope someone asks him -'have you made a verbal agreement with your management to sign with GWS in 2011?'.

Tom could read from a prepared statement and not answer any questions at all. If he is answering, then he should also be asked if he or his management have had dealings with GWS proxies.

If he doesnt announce at the press conference that he's re-signing then its ablett take 2 and hes goneski

if he's even considering shopping his contract around then he doesnt love the club as much as we all hope and hes interested in the $$$ side of things. GWS have more $$$ to offer so he'll go

If he doesnt announce at the press conference that he's re-signing then its ablett take 2 and hes goneski

if he's even considering shopping his contract around then he doesnt love the club as much as we all hope and hes interested in the $$$ side of things. GWS have more $$$ to offer so he'll go

Agreed. Regardless of the sums (possibly) being offered, if he's decided to leave the MFC this early into his career it will show that he never loved the club and never wanted to be a part of it.

I'm prepared to give him more credit than that at this stage though, (note at this stage), I want him to stay but if it all comes to fruition and it comes to the above, then he's not the sort of player you want at the club anyway.

You are kidding, aren't you?

He know lots of people in the industry that are prepared to feed him misinformation to suit their own agendas, nothing more.

Mikes be around a few blocks more than a few times. I'd lay money he knows more than most of us put together. If he's jittery then I'm inclined to start focussing on a post Scully Melbourne team.

I still quite frany see nothing to lose by round tabling and asking the elephant.

"Well mate , where are we heading with all this?"

It's a two way street . The club has a responsibity to look after him and utilize and grow his talent BUT only really if he's of a mind to stay. I've said this before but if an emoyee of mine couldn't look me in the eyes and commit then I'm wondering why not. They'd be perfectly entitled to look around but if they were they'd be off my A team and informed they now have all the time they like to look; don't worry about closing the door etc.

We have finished the big rebuild and are now looking to refine and enhance. Much of that comes from match time and playing more with your team mates.

What on earth is to be gained by Melb to play Scully if he's not going to be with us next year ? Better that time, effort and club resource put into someone who is.

All this waiting t seasons end is double speak. It means ONE thing. I'm outta here !!

It's already been reported the AFL won't get it's magic Billion. All interested. parties could do there workings on about 800 million. Experienced operators can estimate what that may or may not translate to for players in their charge.

Those that WANT to be at the Dees have already spoken to that end. Many at other clubs have said similar.

I'm certainly not one of those that would be happy to stick head in sand and think all will be well. You need to be proactive . This club is and always will be bigger than one player, no matter how good he is or might be.

Tom , you're more than entitled to the best return on your efforts . So is the club.

We won't waste your time. Don't waste ours.

Melbourne will enjoy far more success in the period of your playing career. You could well figure in that. Arguably you might earn more money at another club.

Life can be mercenary but also very rewarding.

If you don't see your future at Melb say so . We'll respect that.indicate that to the club now and we can all get on with things.

I'm with Paul Roos ... Play hardball Melbourne. don't and this cancer will reappear over and over.

Agreed. Regardless of the sums (possibly) being offered, if he's decided to leave the MFC this early into his career it will show that he never loved the club and never wanted to be a part of it.

Players dont 'love their clubs' anymore, they're gainfully employed by them. If you worked at Westpac and got offered triple your salary to goto ANZ, would you stay for the love of the bank and your workmates, or chase the money? Shane Woewodin loved the footy club it helped him get a Brownlow. Cameron Bruce loved the footy club it helped him win a best and fairest. They were there for more than 2 years, but it didnt stop them looking after their own interests ahead of the club.

Club loyalty is a redundant and oft-misused word nowadays.