Watts back, Frawley forward

old55

The sooner we get our flag line-up settled the better. I think we should consider swapping Jack Watts and James Frawley roles.

Frawley has the imposing body size, attack on the ball and pace to dominate as a KPF - think David Neitz.

Watts has the closing speed, height and kicking skills to be an extremely damaging KPB - think Chris Tarrant. My observation is that Jack just doesn't naturally attack the ball, as a KPD he'll be lead to the contest and his great pace, decision making and kicking will be an huge asset down back.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest melbman

The sooner we get our flag line-up settled the better. I think we should consider swapping Jack Watts and James Frawley roles.

Frawley has the imposing body size, attack on the ball and pace to dominate as a KPF - think David Neitz.

Watts has the closing speed, height and kicking skills to be an extremely damaging KPB - think Chris Tarrant. My observation is that Jack just doesn't naturally attack the ball, as a KPD he'll be lead to the contest and his great pace, decision making and kicking will be an huge asset down back.

I agree that if Jack went to the backline it would force him to add a dimension to his game

One of the best passages of play I saw at Casey by Jack was when he took the ball from the half backline, ran it down the ground and slotted it down Millers throat at FF/CHF

No way should Frawley be a forward. He's a natural defender.

Watts should also be our CHF. Don't panic too much about his poor games. However, throwing him back for some games is not such a bad idea. I'd consider giving him some time at CHB in next weeks NAB challenge game. I hear Garland might need some time off with a calf strain.

I feel like I overslept and woke up on April 1.

The Neitz/Frawley comparison isn't ridiculous. If Neitz had played in a premiership team, it would have been as CHB (with a fit David Schwarz at CHF). Frawley is an AA fullback and has the potential to be considered alongside the likes of Scarlett and Silvagni.

We're all going to be so happy when Watts makes it. He'll have a game one day where we aren't pointing out the one or two great things he did; we'll be saying that the game was won off of his boot.

With Watts, Scully, Trengove, Tapscott, Blease, Jurrah et al...Melbourne is building a critical mass...and remember, only 5 of them can be in the top 5 players in the team, only 10 in the top 10 etc... our premiership team will need a bottom 10 too, and the better they are, they better we'll be. If some of these players only go on to be good players, rather than greats, we'll still be ok. And the thing about critical mass is that when you've got it, and you throw it together, you get an EXPLOSION, and that's what will happen. One day, we'll click, and the number of turnovers will fall, we'll stop looking slow, the leads will come...BANG! They all just need to keep on working!

Can't help feeling Jack did himself no favours by saying that losing didn't hurt! I love the look on Scully's face after a loss. He's as [censored] as I am. And he talks to nobody. He looks hurt.

Just once it would be nice to see someone introduce an idea without the usual shout-down merchants writing "April 1 has come early" and "Worst thread of the year" etc.

Be creative for once and write an intelligent critique of someone's idea instead of responding with lazy, know-it-all chest-pumping.

Just once it would be nice to see someone introduce an idea without the usual shout-down merchants writing "April 1 has come early" and "Worst thread of the year" etc.

Be creative for once and write an intelligent critique of someone's idea instead of responding with lazy, know-it-all chest-pumping.

I agree, i have always thought Charlie could play some games in defence, chasing the Ball and opponents-just to add to his game in these early years.

Jack will be our CHF but he could be a better one knowing exactly what his opponent is doing and reacting to.

Just a thought.....

My 'April 1' cheap shot distracted you from reading anything I wrote afterward. I addressed the Neitz-Frawley comparison specifically. I suggested leaving Frawley in his best position, just as I would have loved to have won a premiership with Neita in his best position. And then I went on a bit of romantic ramble about how our critical mass is close to exploding blah blah blah...

Watts to spend some time here, there, anywhere isn't what anyone has jumped on. By all means, whatever Bails thinks will turn him into a premiership winning player - GO FOR IT. But Frawley to FF...I hope not.

I thought I had been creative and my chest feels decidedly unpumped. Sorry to have disappointed you.

There's merit in Watts down back but remember Frawley as key forward in that infamous Richmond game. He had no idea. Thought Warnock looked okay though but too much like Miller to succeed.

My 'April 1' cheap shot distracted you from reading anything I wrote afterward. I addressed the Neitz-Frawley comparison specifically. I suggested leaving Frawley in his best position, just as I would have loved to have won a premiership with Neita in his best position. And then I went on a bit of romantic ramble about how our critical mass is close to exploding blah blah blah...

Watts to spend some time here, there, anywhere isn't what anyone has jumped on. By all means, whatever Bails thinks will turn him into a premiership winning player - GO FOR IT. But Frawley to FF...I hope not.

I thought I had been creative and my chest feels decidedly unpumped. Sorry to have disappointed you.

Fair enough. I shouldn't have used your 'April 1' as an example as you've written a decent reply. It's more the three word sentence shout-down type response - ie. "crap idea/post/thread" - that seem to follow any new suggestion.

I see where your thinking but I think your 1 season early. Even though he's starting to put on some weight, he's only just put it on, & needs to learn to use it, where if he fails, it won't burn us too hard. keep him as leadup with the occaisional stint in the goal square.

Next year I'm all for him getting rotations through the back half to learn a bit more responsibility & urgency. He could probably rotate with Cook, & maybe Bate, next year down back & forward...

Bater is about the same size, actually a little bigger than John Fidge was, and could play a key defender role/3rd tall back... A straight ahead type role with the body to shift opponents. We need to see if he has the vision & mental speed to play there.

Watts roaming across half back has its plusses but Frawley is going to struggle to kick goals with his technique.

Pinch hitting is an option though.

But he is so damaging as a gorilla tamer that can give run and carry.

It wouldn't hurt Frawls, to have a few shots @ goal & even miss a few, to Inspire him to work on this as well.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Watts learning a bit of accountability as a half back flanker might have some merit although I'd rather he work out his spot in the forward line first, but Frawley as a forward is just yuk. It's not even robbing Peter to pay Paul. Peter gets robbed and Paul still misses out. I've waited years for us to have a backman of his calibre and I don't want to see that wasted for the sake of an experiment. Frawley will always stop more scoring than he will create.

Seriously how about we just be patient and let our FUTURE chf Watts develop at a steady pace, he's 19 FFS! I am SOOOO effing sick of Watts bagging, he plays for the team you are all meant to support so how about you do JUST THAT! This is not directed at the original poster as much as everyone who is already bagging the kid after 1 ordinary NAB FRIGGING CUP MATCH...

Leave him at the position we are going to need him, and the position he is most suited to, let him improve as he has been so far.

When it comes to set shots - it's 'old dogs.'

The modern game dictates we must be versatile. As we build our side over the next 3 Years, we have to give players experience in other spots, and we want our defenders to be able to hit the scoreboard when they attack & find themselves forward.

If we experiment here, & there,,, it will give 2 players for every experiment, a different set of experiences, setting us up for the future,,, as well as the coaches working out what Won't work, when stretched.

I don't think it would be harmfull at all to give Frawley a go forward in a game, with Watts or Cook a go in defence.

Just like we will eventually give Jamar a go at full forward, whilst Fitzpatrick goes into the Ruck.

Maybe Moloney could get a run from the back pocket,,, when the Mids are getting stronger & he's struggling for his place.

We need to cover all these bases by 2013, with versatility.

Seriously how about we just be patient and let our FUTURE chf Watts develop at a steady pace, he's 19 FFS! I am SOOOO effing sick of Watts bagging, he plays for the team you are all meant to support so how about you do JUST THAT! This is not directed at the original poster as much as everyone who is already bagging the kid after 1 ordinary NAB FRIGGING CUP MATCH...

Leave him at the position we are going to need him, and the position he is most suited to, let him improve as he has been so far.

Settle down 'stuie', I don't see where anyone has bagged Watts at all. Just want to broaden his experience, next year... His development for the future. The reason being that he is good enough to learn to play many roles. It strengthens the team.

Oh, you think people are bagging him after the side played an ordinary game. Well I can tell you I'm not, at all bagging Watts,,, but want him to learn to play mainly forward in all the forward roles,,,, But also learn to cover CHB as well in case we need it one day.

By doing this, it gives us the opportunity to play Cook in Watts spot, or Howe,,,, or Fitzpatrick... You see, they won't all fit into the one side all at once, & they'll need to learn many roles to win the Big one.

Edited by dee-luded

The modern game dictates we must be versatile. As we build our side over the next 3 Years, we have to give players experience in other spots, and we want our defenders to be able to hit the scoreboard when they attack & find themselves forward.

If we experiment here, & there,,, it will give 2 players for every experiment, a different set of experiences, setting us up for the future,,, as well as the coaches working out what Won't work, when stretched.

I don't think it would be harmfull at all to give Frawley a go forward in a game, with Watts or Cook a go in defence.

Just like we will eventually give Jamar a go at full forward, whilst Fitzpatrick goes into the Ruck.

Maybe Moloney could get a run from the back pocket,,, when the Mids are getting stronger & he's struggling for his place.

We need to cover all these bases by 2013, with versatility.

I am all for experimenting.

But the fans shouted me down for saying at the end of 2010 that 2011 should still be a dev year.

The fans want structure and consistency. I don't think this is going to be popular, as effectively swapping Watts and Frawley for half a game here and there will lead to one thing...

Losses.

I can handle it, if it means we are a better side in 2014.

Who else can?

Settle down 'stuie', I don't see where anyone has bagged Watts at all. Just want to broaden his experience, next year... His development for the future. The reason being thaty he is good enough to learn to play many roles. It strengthens the team.

Oh, you think people are bagging him after the side played an ordinary game. Wel i can tell you I'm not, at all bagging Watts,,, but want him to learn to play mainly forward in all the forwaerd roles,,,, But also learn to cover CHB as well in case we need it one day.

By doing this, it gives us the opportunity to play Cook in Watts spot or Howe,,,, or Fitzpatrick... You see, they won't all fit into the one side all at once, & they'll need to learn many roles to win the Big one.

There has been plenty of it.

C&B rantings come to mind immediately and there are piffly little comments littered throughout the wash-up of the Essendon 'coverage' on Land.

And it's '...' not ',,,'...

It's not an issue of shutting down posts, and i apologise to 'old55' if i offended his ideas in anyway but after an off season that consisted of easily 5 separate topics suggesting our AA backman and arguably best player consider a move into the forward line it gets frustrating. I know this is all hypothetical but if you really in your right mind think Dean Bailey at any stage would ever consider Frawley in a forward role next year i personally think you're very outdated. Likewise for Watts. Watts is a forward, he's not a winger and he's not a backman. He doesn't need cheap kicks for confidence or learn how to be a backman. He needs to put his head over the footy, work his ass off and be prepared to lose alot of contests this year around the CHF line where he needs to play every week and get beaten by some of the best of the AFL's defenders.

Our future isn't going to improve by playing our two best prospects at opposite ends to where they are groomed for.

It's not an issue of shutting down posts, and i apologise to 'old55' if i offended his ideas in anyway but after an off season that consisted of easily 5 separate topics suggesting our AA backman and arguably best player consider a move into the forward line it gets frustrating. I know this is all hypothetical but if you really in your right mind think Dean Bailey at any stage would ever consider Frawley in a forward role next year i personally think you're very outdated. Likewise for Watts. Watts is a forward, he's not a winger and he's not a backman. He doesn't need cheap kicks for confidence or learn how to be a backman. He needs to put his head over the footy, work his ass off and be prepared to lose alot of contests this year around the CHF line where he needs to play every week and get beaten by some of the best of the AFL's defenders.

Our future isn't going to improve by playing our two best prospects at opposite ends to where they are groomed for.

You read Luke Holmseby's recent MFC.com.au article? See Watts the matter: be patient

Holmesby talks about how it would in fact be beneficial for Jack to perhaps play in a position that he is not accustomed to in order to broaden his mindset and get an understanding of other aspects of the game rather than be the centre of attention at CHF and cop a barrage of abuse when the kid is STILL a mere 19 years of age. He has pressure and some of it is unwarranted.

Excerpt from the article:

"Watts' development is crucial to Melbourne's future, so Dean Bailey and his coaching staff might want to look at letting him spend more time on the wing to build confidence as his body matures enough to handle the responsibility of being a key forward.

This was part of St Kilda's development of Riewoldt, and the Demons could also take a leaf out of Essendon's book. The Bombers used Michael Hurley at both ends of the ground before settling on a forward role.

It wouldn't hurt Watts to see the game from another perspective, rather than feeling the pressure of having to mark the ball under the watchful eyes of every Melbourne supporter every time the Demons attack."