The team for round one 2011

DirtyDees DDC

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Howe was recruited as a fast leading, high leaping full-forward, so I'm guessing he will have every chance of starting there round 1.

Campbell is a rookie, so will not get a chance until there is a long term injury.

And I doubt Bennell and Aussie will be in the same team if they are in the forward line.

My guess is that only Frawley, Grimes, Sylvia, Jamar, Green, Moloney, Davey, Jurrah, Scully (and probably Rivers, Garland, Watts, Trengove and McKenzie) are walk up starters in the 1st round. Which leaves lots of talent competing for the other 8 spots. (Makes Bruce's exit something of a blessing, if rather sad.)

Exciting, eh? :)

Yes i agree, it was more..do you think that side will be there in september...so much potential talent.

Finals?

I don't expect it, ie. the season won't be a failure if we don't (provided we still show improvement in key areas), but I think we will, certainly.

We have a chance to be top 6, in my opinion.

A lot can go wrong over the course of a season, however...

Campbell is a rookie, so will not get a chance until there is a long term injury.

I believe that the spot on the senior list vacated by Bruce allows us to upgrade a rookie. I am however no expert on such matters but I am fairly sure that this is the case.

Finals?

I don't expect it, ie. the season won't be a failure if we don't (provided we still show improvement in key areas), but I think we will, certainly.

We have a chance to be top 6, in my opinion.

A lot can go wrong over the course of a season, however...

You are very right, this season more than any other i can remember, the MFC is a real loose cannon in 2011.

Whoever becomes captain will be very important. This List needs a good leader.

I believe that the spot on the senior list vacated by Bruce allows us to upgrade a rookie. I am however no expert on such matters but I am fairly sure that this is the case.

I thought Bruce's exit allowed us to have an extra rookie, not elevate 1. Clarification anyone?

My team:

FB Bartram Garland Rivers

HB Grimes Frawley Morton

C Sylvia Scully Davey

HF Watts Dunn Petterd

FF Jurrah Green Woneaemirri

Foll Jamar Jones McKenzie

Int Trengove Gysberts MacDonald

Sub Bail

Unlucky: Moloney, Bennell, Bate, Warnock, Campbell, etc.

My reasoning:

This is assuming all are match-fit and cherry-ripe to go. Already, we know that won't necessarily be the case with regards to certain players (was it Gysberts who did his hammy a few weeks ago?), but screw it, I can dream.

Unlike most, I reckon the forward line pretty much picks itself. On 2010 form there's no way Green, Jurrah or Petterd won't play, a fit Aussie is a shoo-in, and if we get late-2010 Dunn instead of the early-2010 version, then he's an obvious choice as well. Which leaves Watts ... who'll get better, quicker playing AFL as opposed to VFL.

The backline is all but settled. Frawley, Garland, Rivers, Grimes and Bartram have locks on their positions. Depending on match-ups, Warnock or MacDonald can come in as the sixth man but, given the way he ran with Goodes the whole day last time out against the Swans, I've named Morton on the half-back flank. MacDonald squeezes onto the bench, to have at least a tall-ish option on there.

In the middle Jamar, Davey, Scully, Sylvia and McKenzie are the certain starters for mine. I've picked Jones, Trengove and Gysberts to round out the team, hoping that Gysberts is really as good as those first couple of games made him look. Moloney, Bail and Bennell can consider themselves unlucky, but injury will surely open the door for them before we actually hit the season.

And, because it's round one and Jamar will be fresh as a daisy, and because of how hilariously slow Sydney appeared when we played them last, I've left Robbie Campbell and Jake Spencer back in the sheds. They can come in to give Jamar his chop out deeper into the season as the Russian tires, or against the teams where we really need to pick a 'bigger' side.

Edited by bananas

You are very right, this season more than any other i can remember, the MFC is a real loose cannon in 2011.

Whoever becomes captain will be very important. This List needs a good leader.

I'm not so certain of your second comment.

I think our list is full of good leaders now and leadership potential.

What we need more are experienced cool heads & good communicators to guide the kids.

This is not exclusive to the captain or even the leadership group.

The kids have the talent but will need a bit of guidance at times.

My team:

FB Bartram Garland Rivers

HB Grimes Frawley Morton

C Sylvia Scully Davey

HF Watts Dunn Petterd

FF Jurrah Green Woneaemirri

Foll Jamar Jones McKenzie

Int Trengove Gysberts MacDonald

Sub Bail

Unlucky: Moloney, Bennell, Bate, Warnock, Campbell, etc.

My reasoning:

This is assuming all are match-fit and cherry-ripe to go. Already, we know that won't necessarily be the case with regards to certain players (was it Gysberts who did his hammy a few weeks ago?), but screw it, I can dream.

Unlike most, I reckon the forward line pretty much picks itself. On 2010 form there's no way Green, Jurrah or Petterd won't play, a fit Aussie is a shoo-in, and if we get late-2010 Dunn instead of the early-2010 version, then he's an obvious choice as well. Which leaves Watts ... who'll get better, quicker playing AFL as opposed to VFL.

The backline is all but settled. Frawley, Garland, Rivers, Grimes and Bartram have locks on their positions. Depending on match-ups, Warnock or MacDonald can come in as the sixth man but, given the way he ran with Goodes the whole day last time out against the Swans, I've named Morton on the half-back flank. MacDonald squeezes onto the bench, to have at least a tall-ish option on there.

In the middle Jamar, Davey, Scully, Sylvia and McKenzie are the certain starters for mine. I've picked Jones, Trengove and Gysberts to round out the team, hoping that Gysberts is really as good as those first couple of games made him look. Moloney, Bail and Bennell can consider themselves unlucky, but injury will surely open the door for them before we actually hit the season.

And, because it's round one and Jamar will be fresh as a daisy, and because of how hilariously slow Sydney appeared when we played them last, I've left Robbie Campbell and Jake Spencer back in the sheds. They can come in to give Jamar his chop out deeper into the season as the Russian tires, or against the teams where we really need to pick a 'bigger' side.

From what I have seen of pre-season training and heard, I think Bennell is going to be the bolter this year. Joel MacDonald wont be a certainty. I doubt Moloney will be left out. From this side, you can tell that people like bartram, hard at, really have to improve their ball use if they want to stay in the team.

Edited by agent_orange

I thought Bruce's exit allowed us to have an extra rookie, not elevate 1. Clarification anyone?

Yep we can elevate a rookie. See RPFC's explanation

http://demonland.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24151

I didn't do any leg work in that thread though...

Leg work:

14.6 An AFL Club which is eligible to nominate a Rookie Player pursuant to clause 14.5

may:

a] where the AFL Club has nominated one Player on its Veterans List,

nominate one Player from its Rookie List as being available for selection by

that AFL Club for AFL Premiership Season Matches and AFL Finals Series

Matches; and

b] where the AFL Club has not nominated a Player on its Veterans List,

nominate up to two Players from its Rookie List as being available for

selection by the AFL Club for AFL Premiership Season Matches and AFL

Finals Series Matches.

Hi, my name is Brent Moloney. You may have heard of me I play football for the Melbourne Demons Football Club:

Proof

Please dont confuse me with Brent Maloney, who has never played with the Melbourne Demons like I have. I have never met this Maloney fellow, and I dont know why people keep including him in their best Demons sides. I have now played 85 games for the Demons, I cant remember him playing any.

Thanks for reading!

Brent Maloney Moloney

are people serious leaving out Jones or Moloney? Both automatic selections

To be honest, I think Moloney is a bit over-rated on this board. For us to turn into a good team I think we'll need a bunch of the kids to go past him ... which will hopefully happen within the next two years. I'm probably a bit ambitious hoping for it by round one, but hey, it's the off-season, I can dream!

From what I have seen of pre-season training and heard, I think Bennell is going to be the bolter this year. Joel MacDonald wont be a certainty. I doubt Moloney will be left out. From this side, you can tell that people like bartram, hard at, really have to improve their ball use if they want to stay in the team.

Most of us didn't think Bartram wasn't going to consolidate his position in the team. Even posters were declaring he had walked out of the club. McDonald, IMO, is a certainty to play senior football-he really did a great job in his first year at thr club.He definately gets a guernsey in my side.

Bartram Frawley Garland

Grimes Rivers Davey

Sylvia Moloney Scully

Watts Dunn Green

Wona Petterd Jurrah

R:Jamar Trengove Mckenzie

Int: Jones Gysberts Bennell

Sub: Morton

Apologies to Bail Bate and Macdonald. Havent considered anyone who hasnt played 5 games (other than gysberts, who was clearly good enough for best 21)

are people serious leaving out Jones or Moloney? Both automatic selections

... and will be all season, injuries permitting. Moloney wasn't 7th in the Bluey for nothing (after missing quite a few games), and Jones has just been promoted to the leadership group. Team selection is about balance and these two provide a solidity and grunt that not many (if any) of the younger brigade can bring to the table ... for the moment.

Back to team selection: most permutations seem to have been tried, but I'd definitely be looking to include Petterd (best forward last year until injured) and Bennell (really stepping up it seems).

Most of us didn't think Bartram wasn't going to consolidate his position in the team. Even posters were declaring he had walked out of the club. McDonald, IMO, is a certainty to play senior football-he really did a great job in his first year at thr club.He definately gets a guernsey in my side.

Wasn't saying he doesn't deserve his spot, he just going to have to earn it and improve his decision making otherwise someone else wil grab it.

But this is where this team is at now. Every player now has to work harder to ensure a spot from week to week. There are plenty pushing for a spot. That can only be a good thing.

To be honest, I think Moloney is a bit over-rated on this board. For us to turn into a good team I think we'll need a bunch of the kids to go past him ... which will hopefully happen within the next two years. I'm probably a bit ambitious hoping for it by round one, but hey, it's the off-season, I can dream!

Clearances from stoppages. He does it consistently, more than any other player at this point.