The Whipping Boy

satyricon

Complete and utter rubbish.

In your opinion, maybe.

In mine, Maric has done nothing to warrant any real optimism, and those who still harbour high hopes for him are conveniently ignoring his poor performances when selected.

Yes, it's harsh, and yes, I could well be proved utterly wrong. But that's where Maric stands for me.

I think that once again, the majority of supporters' expectations will be out of touch with reality.

We've lost a lot of experience and the list is very young.

If we get the same result in 2011 that we got in 2010, or better, it will be a pass.

People just love to get ahead of themselves...

Really? If we win 8.5 games next year, with the draw we have, you'd be happy?

I certainly wouldn't.

We don't necessarily have to make the finals, but I want us to at least look like we could.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In your opinion, maybe.

In mine, Maric has done nothing to warrant any real optimism, and those who still harbour high hopes for him are conveniently ignoring his poor performances when selected.

Yes, it's harsh, and yes, I could well be proved utterly wrong. But that's where Maric stands for me.

Not exactly high hopes, but he did look definitely good enough in the Sydney match.

He was squeezed out by the return of Junior from injury, iirc.

It is easy to look half-decent when your teams hands out a thorough belting, however...

Really? If we win 8.5 games next year, with the draw we have, you'd be happy?

I certainly wouldn't.

We don't necessarily have to make the finals, but I want us to at least look like we could.

Isn't that exactly what we did in 2010?

On looking at the fixture, I agree it appears we should do much better.

I just think the loss of experience shouldn't be discounted.

And I expect there to be times when we get belted like round 1 2010.

It happens to all teams.

Geelong at the peak of their powers suffered from it against Collingwood.

Now as we enter a new season and we are missing a few of the perennial 'whipping boys', such as Bruce, Miller, PJ.....who does everybody think will rise to the occasion to become the new Demonland whipping boy.......Bartram and Newton have a slight head start providing they play.....

Weird thread coming from someone who notoriously defends players till the death.. Are you going to have a sook if Bartram or Newton cop it this season?

I'll bite- Jones will probably be the whipping boy.

Jared Rivers immediately came to mind.

Hope he has a good season, but he'd be up there in terms of bigger name players under real scrutiny.

Understand that he fuels debate but can hardly agree on the logic. People miss his importance at times I feel. We always needed a Frawley but we need a Riv there too.

Bartram is mine, going back to the OP. Fair due to him in 2010 but I want better in that position. Maybe he can improve more, but in Dec, it's Bartram for me.

Weird thread coming from someone who notoriously defends players till the death.. Are you going to have a sook if Bartram or Newton cop it this season?

I'll bite- Jones will probably be the whipping boy.

It's a thread that makes complete sense coming from someone who always defends players.

Whoever started this dumb, masochistic, self-flaggelating, defeatist thread is the obvious answer

Whole heartedly agree. Are we supporters or canners? Why not let the football department make the hard calls. They are afterall the brains trust behind the team. I'm sure players will be picked on their ability to carry out instructions from the coaches. If they fail to do this it will be a stint at Casey I am sure. Cannot believe the double standards of some who swoon over the players at every opportunity and want autographs and chats then stick the boots into them when they are not face to face.

I can't really see the sense in it, it is only inviting negativity that the poster is staunchly against.

The very nature of the 'whipping boy' is someone unfairly targetted by people.

It's a pre-emptive strike that Satyricon is making, so when someone criticises Bate for instance, it could be passed of as 'just another go at everyone's favourite whipping boy...'

Minimising the impact of the criticism.

For me - posters can criticise whomever they want but if you don't bring supporting arguments to be examined you will be ridiculed.

I can't stand things like 'Bate just looked out of it today. I think he should have been traded.'

Infuriating.

It hadn't so far until you posted.

A more informative approach might be to have a thread which discusses the why and wherefores of "whipping boys". Why do we need whipping boys, what sort of behaviour attracts the tag, why do certain players attract the tag, why do other players rarely get the tag, what does it say about the poster, etc etc, rather than the silly notion of trying to predict or forecast the next batch of whipping boys. This way too we need not limit ourselves to just MFC players which would be a pleasant change from the current self-truculence

A more informative approach might be to have a thread which discusses the why and wherefores of "whipping boys". Why do we need whipping boys, what sort of behaviour attracts the tag, why do certain players attract the tag, why do other players rarely get the tag, what does it say about the poster, etc etc, rather than the silly notion of trying to predict or forecast the next batch of whipping boys. This way too we need not limit ourselves to just MFC players which would be a pleasant change from the current self-truculence

Not really.

Again, as you seem to have missed the point, this thread is about identifying which players will be the ones people turn into scapegoats when things aren't going well. The easy targets.

Unfortunately you seem to be unable to grasp the notion that this thread is not about bagging players.

I think it's pretty simple.

The players who will be the 'whipping boys' will be the ones who are seen to be not performing to expectations.

That could be Bartram, Morton or Bate; it could be Davey, Frawley or Grimes.

Supporters in general have an intolerance for fluctuations in a player's form, which in reality should be entirely accepted, if reasonable.

Not really.

Again, as you seem to have missed the point, this thread is about identifying which players will be the ones people turn into scapegoats when things aren't going well. The easy targets.

Unfortunately you seem to be unable to grasp the notion that this thread is not about bagging players.

I may have missed the point.......but I haven't missed the negativity it attracts

ah well back to my voodoo dolls

It hadn't so far until you posted.

Yeah, because before I started to post this thread was radiating with positivity, wasn't it?

So we've named our favorite "whipping boy," what now? What is the agenda behind this thread?

My understanding of a whipping boy is one that can smell like roses to some, or at times masquerade as such but in the minds of those pointing the finger, more often than not smell of $h!t?

Nothing wrong with an opinion on that, is there?

Edited by Demon Hill

There's only been one or two numpties who have done that. The rest of the posters actually understood the purpose of the thread.

There are many ways to get your point across without resorting to personal insults Nasher. You are a mod too, I suggest you read the code of conduct & moderating guide again and remind yourself of your duties.

I read it before I started posting here and hence always try to be on my best behaviour. It is hard to stay nice when you have an I.T nerd from Hobart calling you a "numptie" however.