Welcome to Demonland ... JEREMY HOWE

e25

He doesn't look particularly quick from that package but looks to have the aerial skills we need and he seems to give the ball a good hoof.

Really looking forward to seeing him in the red and blue.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, that's good to know, he is an exciting prospect.

Going on his highlights he looks to be capable of some things at a very high standard. I love the way he attacks the ball in the air, reminds me of jumping Jack from the tigers.

I wonder what his consistancy is like and the if there is a big gap between his best and worst. These things are hard to tell from just highlights...but i like that he has such a good beep test so he should have the motor to stay involved.

If we can get him to do the right thing consistatly we might have a player here.

And your right, Hughes body did let him down :(

From looking at his highlights there is a lot of resemblance with jumping Jack. Although rather than focusing on his grabs, its his attack on the footy that is most reministent of Jack Riewoldt. I can see Howe being used as a "pack crasher" who seems to have that same "desperation" as both Riewoldts, to contest the ball running into an oncoming pack or going back with the flight of the ball.

Am liking the look of the Indian Chief.

His Goals and votes for the year from here

Date/Time Opposition G BST

Fri 2/Apr North Hobart 0 0

Sun 11/Apr Glenorchy 0 0

Sat 17/Apr Clarence 0 0

Sat 24/Apr Lauderdale 2 4

Sat 1/May Burnie 2 0

Sat 8/May Devonport 2 0

Sat 15/May South Launceston 5 1

Sat 22/May North Hobart 3 0

Sat 29/May Lauderdale 0 0

Sat 5/Jun Glenorchy 1 0

Sat 19/Jun North Launceston 2 5

Sat 26/Jun Clarence 0 0

Sat 3/Jul Devonport 2 0

Sat 10/Jul North Hobart 1 0

Sat 24/Jul Lauderdale 2 0

Sat 31/Jul Glenorchy 6 3

Sat 7/Aug Clarence 4 3

Sat 14/Aug Launceston 3 1

I blurted a big "WTF" when this pick was announced. I am still scratching my head as to why we would burn a second rounder on a smokey. There must be more to this kid than people are letting on. 102cm vertical leap is amazing, but what else is there that spurred the footy department to take him at #33? Very interested to see what happens with Howe. At 20 years of age his body could be further along that some of the 18yo kids, and if he puts in a good preseason we might get to see what all the noise around Howe is about.

Two years older than the other three, so we might see him in the seniors earlier than them. 2012 most likely, but maybe even 2011 if we have a couple of injuries up forward. But remember, he is still a tall (even is a solid one) and messages from the coach take longer to get from his brain to his hands and feet.

If he really is going to be a taller Robbo with better ground skills, I'd be rapt. Do you suppose he can chase and tackle as well?

I wonder if the fact we couldn't land hale that they decided to go for Howe, just based on the fact that he's is a little bit older and thus somewhat more advanced physically that other draftees. Not syaing that are alike in anyway though, but myavbe they see him as having a more immediate impact

Great pick up. I had heard of him around the traps but had not seen that footage until last night.

The high flying is all good and well, but what looks good is his work once it hits the deck.

Also, what I like most is the grab he takes at the start of the highlights running back with the flight. Cant teach that.

Said he had massive potential and playing in Tassie has probably held him back.

I think this is the key here, also hinted at in the club's write-up. Basically, he's never really had the opportunity or support to get to where he could be. Of course, having potential is one thing, but will be interesting (at least) to see what happens once he gets into a professional environement.

I like the pick a lot, actually. Gutsy, unpredictable move. Whatever it takes.

Anyone who listened to Dean Bailey's and Barry Prendergast's interviews on Melbournefc.com.au...

They gave a really exciting and in depth description of Howe... one thing that stood out was that Bailey said he knew Howe wasn't going to be there at 50. So, just because we haven't heard of a player, doesn't mean the recruiters aren't well aware of him.

I'm really excited about Howe, because if he does a good pre-season, he should be able to play round 1, considering his age and physical capabilities.

I heard he was training with the pies and hence why we got him at 33 (pies had 45 and 46 before our next one)

Maybe like Jurrah we stole another gem from the pies!!!

I think you might be right there, BP mentioned that the wouldn't have been around for much longer than 33. Gee, if he ends up half as good as Jurrah I'd be stoked! Watching the two of them sitting on the filths heads on the QB will be a pleasure!

Howe spoke to four other clubs - Collingwood, St Kilda, Western Bulldogs and Richmond (from memory). He flew across to speak to the Demons on Sunday. They asked him to fly over during the week, but he didn't want to take time off work. While he was picked from the local Tassie competition, we weren't the only teams interested. I am looking forward to seeing him play in 2011!

I'd like some insight into his character.

Anyone?

This might give you some insights about who he is and where he's headed - Draft gives sparkie a shock. He's worked pretty hard to become an electrician and won't throw it away even if he has been drafted to an AFL club and moved to the bright lights of Melbourne.

A Robbo type who can mark and kick goals like Robbo - add on ability and willingness to chase and tackle - could be something special.

Watch this space.

When is the first practice game??????

This might give you some insights about who he is and where he's headed - Draft gives sparkie a shock. He's worked pretty hard to become an electrician and won't throw it away even if he has been drafted to an AFL club and moved to the bright lights of Melbourne.

Looks to already have a decent sized pair of biceps on him in that photo, could be a potential round one debutant, althought I'd probably prefer Tapscott to get the nod

I'm jumping on the Jeremy Howe bandwaggon

Lots to excite here, a real X factor in the making. Imagine, Jurrah and Howe fireworks.

And he looks a footballer's footballer rather than a manufactured athlete

Go Jeremy, get stuck into pre-season, I want to see you up and about in Round 1

edit spelling

Edited by daisycutter

I'm jumping on the Jeremy Howe bandwaggon

Lots to excite here, a real X factor in the making. Imagine, Jurrah and Howe fireworks.

And he looks a footballer's footballer rather than a manufactured athlete

Go Jeremy, get stuck into pre-season, I want to see you up and about in Round 1

edit spelling

Probably recruited to fill the full forward position. Looks like he can lead and mark and kick on goal. Will free up Jurrah anyhow.

I'm sure they drafted him with full forward in mind, even as early as the start of next year........HOWEVER

Melbourne was one of the most efficient scoring v inside 50 teams in the league, problem was, they hardly got it inside 50. That is where the biggest development needs to come this year. You can't expect much from our forwards if they only see the ball 35-40 times a game.