• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Son of a gun delisted

Its Miller time

he was telling mid year this year chris had told his dad of regretting leaving the club because apperently carlton had told him mid year that he is pretty much finished..

THAT'S why he regretted leaving the club? Because he couldn't get any more out of MFC? I guess it is a shame FOR CHRIS that he left...

I felt we lost nothing at all when he left, so I don't get why people are still so emotional about it.

It's the manner in which he left.

It seems to me as if CJ summed up the situation and decided that he was going to struggle to get a game at Melbourne and he decided to look elsewhere,

Is that what it was though? He was told he was a required player, wasn't he? At the time the midfield/HB line didn't look nearly as busy as it does now. I'm not convinced at all that he did what Brock did, and brokered a deal because he was shown he wasn't getting the game time he did elsewhere. If it was a case of a player who'd been BOG over and over, had won a final off his own boot, knew he was slowing up, and wanted to get as much game time for himself and as much fro the club as he could in a deal... then sure. Particularly if you're being pushing into the background. Jones was going down that path this year too, and I thought that was ok. He's EARNED his currency, and the right to say to the club "make a deal for me." But my understanding is CJ didn't do any of that.

I'm guessing none of you guys have any time for Joel Macdonald?

Completely different thing. He was pushed out after Voss went all chainsaw massacre through their list. Chris up and left of his own accord.

Like some others have said, I have no huge animosity for him. The guy played a few dozen more games for us and for the AFL than I did. So good luck to him. But at the same time I think it's important to stress how little anyone would care about a guy who walked out in the manner her did.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely different thing. He was pushed out after Voss went all chainsaw massacre through their list. Chris up and left of his own accord.

We were giving him a one year contract and he wasn't in our best 22.

Carlton offered him a longer contract and - I imagine - told him they had a role for him.

In any other industry you'd be an idiot not to move, but because it's footy and [some of] the fans are emotionally involved in such a way that they can't view decisions outside of their prism of AFL romanticism he's a fair target of criticism.

Carlton offered him a longer contract and - I imagine - told him they had a role for him.

In any other industry you'd be an idiot not to move, but because it's footy and [some of] the fans are emotionally involved in such a way that they can't view decisions outside of their prism of AFL romanticism he's a fair target of criticism.

Did he ask for a trade to be made, so the club got something in lieu of his services?

And if it were such an "oh well, that's just how it goes" moment, why did Bailey tear him in a new one in such a public way? Also, it was a while ago now, and I cared about as much then as I do now, but from what I recall he didn't come to the club to work it out, he just left.

If you're convinced that it was just another example of a player getting offered more by a rival club, then fair enough. I'm not convinced, though. And saying I'm not doesn't mean I'm "emotionally involved" and can't view decisions outside of my romanticism of of the AFL, if that's what you were implying. In fact I would say that there are those that have a rose coloured view of these things that's comparable, if a polar opposite. I think there are times that players are dishonest with clubs. And times when players can, by their actions, do a lot of damage, and they get off scot free... Aker, and more recently Sherman are good examples of what can happen if the dealings become transparent. That said, you're right. Bottom line it's none of our business... But when we DO see clashes like that of Bailey/Johnson, you can't blame people for drawing certain conclusions.

Chris Johnson walked out on the club at the end of 2008.

His departure allowed us to use one pick in the Pre Season draft in December 08.

We used that pick on Liam Jurrah.

That's all...

Wow! is all i can say. Thankyou CJ, what you did was an extremely humble act, & you didn't even know it. B)

Wow! is all i can say. Thankyou CJ, what you did was an extremely humble act, & you didn't even know it. B)

Yes and he extended his career by 12 months, good chance he would have been delisted at the end of last year had he remained with us.

Everyone's a winner.

Exactly! FFS!

He thought a two year contract was better than one year just before we thought pick 66 was better than him.

Chris Johnson walked out on the club at the end of 2008.

His departure allowed us to use one pick in the Pre Season draft in December 08.

We used that pick on Liam Jurrah.

That's all...

Nice pick up.

But when we DO see clashes like that of Bailey/Johnson, you can't blame people for drawing certain conclusions.

...all be it without the facts.

He thought a two year contract was better than one year just before we thought pick 66 was better than him.

Simple as that.

from what I recall he didn't come to the club to work it out, he just left.

We had told him we weren't very interested. He was a young, injury free guy, and yet we were only offering a one year contract. We hadn't been selecting him, and I don't think it's a stretch to figure out we weren't offering him big bucks either.

What was he supposed to work out? He had another Club offering him two years and the lure of a role.

I think there are times that players are dishonest with clubs. And times when players can, by their actions, do a lot of damage, and they get off scot free... Aker, and more recently Sherman are good examples of what can happen if the dealings become transparent.

What's Aker got to do with the price of fish?

(This is a rhetorical question to indicate that I think there are no parallels).

Guest Thomo

Oh dear.

Showing all the class he did when he left MFC...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/chris-johnson-hits-out-at-his-delisting-from-carlton-football-club/story-e6frf9jf-1225942366772

A bit embarrassing for all involved.

"I was probably a scapegoat, a little bit, for where I was in the team. If we lost I was out, I was the first one to be dropped," Johnson told SEN

Maybe because he didn't play well???

"Obviously (I'm) still keen to give AFL another crack but there's got to be interest out there from AFL clubs," he said.

I think this is his main problem. He should be saying that he will put his head down and work on the things that are missing and try and prove that he deserves another shot.

Seems that he has a much higher opinion of himself than what is reality. Sounds a bit delusional.

"I was probably a scapegoat, a little bit, for where I was in the team. If we lost I was out, I was the first one to be dropped," Johnson told SEN

"Obviously (I'm) still keen to give AFL another crack but there's got to be interest out there from AFL clubs," he said.

I think this is his main problem. He should be saying that he will put his head down and work on the things that are missing and try and prove that he deserves another shot.

Seems that he has a much higher opinion of himself than what is reality. Sounds a bit delusional.

Yes, he is delusional if he thinks other clubs are interested in him.

Maybe Vossy will give him a go :lol:

CJ was entitled to walk but ... at the time Carlton was boasting that it got him for nothing in the PSD. That he did nothing to help his old club get a fair trade when he left says enough for me.

As things turned out (as pointed out above) the extra space left on our list by his departure enabled us to get Liam Jurrah. That makes him as much of a folk hero at the MFC as Jordan McMahon.

CJ was entitled to walk but ... at the time Carlton was boasting that it got him for nothing in the PSD. That he did nothing to help his old club get a fair trade when he left says enough for me.

As things turned out (as pointed out above) the extra space left on our list by his departure enabled us to get Liam Jurrah. That makes him as much of a folk hero at the MFC as Jordan McMahon.

Too Right, we need to erect a double statue in honour of Jordan & CJ-what an absolute Classic. CJ for LJ Yep, gotta nice ring to it.... B)

As Wyle E Cyote would say "I like the way that rolls off the tounge"

Edited by why you little

"I was probably a scapegoat, a little bit, for where I was in the team. If we lost I was out, I was the first one to be dropped," Johnson told SEN.

Oh dear. I'm afraid CJ just shot himself in the foot. With that attitude I think even Vossy would say "pass".

Junior, anyone..?

I don't think anything that CJ said was necessarily wrong, in fact he's very possibly right, but you just don't say it! Reeks of sour grapes and bignoting himself.

Oh, you a higher opinion?

He's from a broken family since young. That would effect most young peoples belief systems. So he's grown up with a lopsided veiw with his perception of how the world works. Some people need to do this just simply to exist, like most on here, most of us, have a self opinionated view of things that effect us.

As long as he's healthy & on his own 2 feet, he'll get on well, because he's a fairly decent fella. He'll do better than many, 'cause he's out there havin' a go.

He's from a broken family since young. That would effect most young peoples belief systems. So he's grown up with a lopsided veiw with his perception of how the world works. Some people need to do this just simply to exist, like most on here, most of us, have a self opinionated view of things that effect us.

As long as he's healthy & on his own 2 feet, he'll get on well, because he's a fairly decent fella. He'll do better than many, 'cause he's out there havin' a go.

I wouldn't play for Carlton under ANY circumstance so don't put me in that category!!! B)

Guest Thomo

Strange post

Pathetic. Give him a get out of jail free card for errant behaviour because he did it tough as a kid.

There are lots of others who have had worse things happen in their lives and who still know how to discern between right and wrong and can own up to their own failings and be honest about admitting to them.

Maybe the kid should just grow up?

Chris Johnson and others may well feel sorry for his current circumstances and the break between him (and possibly his father) and the club is regrettable. Alan Johnson was not just a Melbourne great he was a great bloke and I've previously shared a couple of stories here of the time when I met him through his association with a VAFA club.

But if Chris or his supporters are upset at where his career sits at this particular time, then he should spare a thought for a former teammate who came to Carlton at the end of 2008 and was also delisted by the Blues this week.

During 2008 I was watching the progress of South Australia's Rhys O'Keeffe at the Under-18s championships. He was a dashing half back flanker/wingman who made the Under 18s All-Australian team and was named as South Australia's MVP. At that year's AFL National Draft the Blues got him late in the draft and I thought at the time that they had made a wonderful aquisition by selecting the running defender.

O'Keefe only played a handful of games with the Bullants in 2009 before contracting osteitis pubis and ever since, he just couldn't get his body right.

No, I'm not suggesting for a minute that we try to recruit him but his story demonstrates that there's a fair element of luck in this game and I hope that CJ reflects on O'Keefe's situation a little more before he has his next whinge. I think he might even discover that his outburst was unjustified and in that realisation, become a better person for it.