A different analysis of our list

sylvinator

Just came across a bit of a unique way of analyzing a list on bigfooty.com (I know, I know). Thought I’d give it a go. I think it might be enlightening as to our strengths and weaknesses, and how our depth stacks up in each position. This kind of analysis is particularly relevant in the off-season, because we have to decide what kind of players need to be added to our list via the national draft, so I thought I’d give it a go

My best 25

BL: Bartram Frawley Garland

HB: MacDonald Rivers Grimes

CL: Davey Moloney Sylvia

HF: Watts Petterd Dunn

FL: Jurrah Green Bennell

RK: Jamar, McKenzie, Scully

Int: Morton, Jones, Trengove, Bruce, Wonaeamirri, Bail, Bate

DEFENCE:

SENIOR TALLS= Frawley, Garland, Rivers

SENIOR SMALLS= Bartram, MacDonald, Grimes, Bruce

DEPTH= Warnock (192cm), McNamara (190cm), Strauss (186cm)

Senior Talls: 8/10 - Extremely strong starting 3 Key position defenders in Frawley, Rivers and Garland. Frawley and Garland are versatile enough to play on any kind of forward, and Rivers is capable of playing a Maxwell type role as the rock defence.

Senior Smalls: 5.5/10 -Lack a bit of class with our running defenders lowers the score to 5.5/10. Bartram did a great job tagging the small forwards, but still lacks polish and tends to make some bad decisions. MacDonald proved me wrong in 2010 and is very strong in one-on-one contests, but is still a limited footballer who can have problems with decision making. Grimes and Bruce have been played at half back, but both are midfielders filling this ‘gap’ in our team. Bruce will retire in 2 years and I would like to see Grimes into the midfield asap.

Depth (Talls & Smalls): 2/10 - Could potentially be a problem for us. Warnock is good back up for the key positions, but we have not seen enough of Strauss and McNamara to be confident in them become very good afl players. You’d be a brave man to depend on these 2 playing a serious role in the 2010 senior team.

MIDFIELDERS:

SENIOR INSIDE= Moloney, Sylvia, Scully, Jones, McKenzie

SENIOR OUTSIDE= Davey, Morton, Trengove

DEPTH INSIDE= Gysberts (190cm), Jetta (183cm)

DEPTH OUTSIDE= Blease (186cm)

Senior Inside: 8.5/10 - Has become a strength in recent seasons. Moloney and Jamar combo became a real weapon in 2010. McKenzie and Jones are young, tough inside players who are capable and willing to do the grunt work, much of which goes unnoticed. Sylvia and Scully will become our 2 massive guns in future years because they are the perfect mix of inside + outside, with a touch of class to make them stars of the afl

Senior Outside: 8/10 - Trengove started his career as an outsider, but could end up inside + outside. Regardless, Davey and Trengove are 2 really sublime finishers, who will rip some teams apart in coming years. Bruce is consistent and while Morton’s output in 2010 wasn’t fantastic, he could potentially be our biggest weapon out of all our outside midfielders due to his unique mix of his engine, height and overhead marking. Overall we’re pretty strong in this area going forward

Depth Inside: 5/10 - Only 5/10 because we only have 2 players we have in this category, one of which I don’t rate (Jetta). Gysberts was drafted to be a 190cm Joel Corey type midfielder, and he looks to be a great prospect going forward. Still a few year’s away from making a big impact

Depth Outside: 5/10 - Blease is a really good prospect, but he’s had a really serious injury and we’re still unsure whether he’ll become the ‘break-the-lines’ player we hope he’ll be.

RUCKS:

SENIOR= Jamar

DEPTH= Gawn, Spenser, Paul Johnson

UTILITY/RUCKMAN= Martin (198cm), Fitzpatrick (200cm)

Senior: 8.5/10 - We have the All Australian ruckman. Enough said. His work up forward was also outstanding at times, always creating a contest and taking some huge pack marks

Depth: 3/10 - PJ is never going to be the back up ruckman we want. Spenser and Gawn are years away from playing consistent footy at afl level. There is a reason we were so keen on Hale during the trade period… will potentially be a real achillis heal in 2011. It must be said that with Gawn and Spenser there is some hope for the future, but not till at least 2012

Utility/Ruckman: 4/10 - This position is becoming an increasingly important position, and unfortunately it is not a strength. Martin’s rucking at afl level leaves much to be desires. The score is boosted by Fitzpatrick, who showed some real promise at vfl level, but is year’s away from even getting his body ready for regular afl footy

FORWARD:

SENIOR TALLS= Watts, Jurrah, Bate

SENIOR MEDIUM= Dunn, Pettard, Green, Bennell, Bail

SENIOR SMALL= Wonaeamirri

DEPTH= Maric (183cm), Tapscott (186cm)

Senior talls: 7.5/10 - I’m based my score largely on potential. Could be a real strength in future years, but we do appear to lack a really big strong 196+ style forward

Senior medium: 9/10 - A real strength, all players difficult to match up on. Capable of marking and equally good once the ball hits the ground. Some great talent there

Senior smalls: 5/10 - Wona is a pretty good prospect, but I’m tempted to put him as a medium forward, bc that’s really how he plays. Doesn’t kick many genuine crumbing goals front and centre.

Depth: 3/10 - Only 2 in the depth, so a little thin. But, with 9 really talented forwards in the senior team, depth is not as important as it is in the mids and defender. Tapscott a great prospect who will make an impact next year, but Maric looks like a bit of a flop

ANALYSIS

- I identify our needs as follows:

o Running/small defenders

o Back up ruck/ Utility ruck

o Small genuine crumbing forward

o Big strong 196+cm full forward

o We could use maybe 1-2 more midfielders to add some more depth in the midfield

- For all positions, we have some genuine top-end talent… but we are struggling for depth almost all over the park. We will struggle if we have many injuries next season. If we stay healthy, and add another 3-4 quality draftees, we are really nicely set for the future.

Thoughts…?

Just came across a bit of a unique way of analyzing a list on bigfooty.com (I know, I know). Thought Id give it a go. I think it might be enlightening as to our strengths and weaknesses, and how our depth stacks up in each position. This kind of analysis is particularly relevant in the off-season, because we have to decide what kind of players need to be added to our list via the national draft, so I thought Id give it a go

My best 25

DEFENCE:

Senior Talls: 8/10 - Extremely strong starting 3 Key position defenders in Frawley, Rivers and Garland. Frawley and Garland are versatile enough to play on any kind of forward, and Rivers is capable of playing a Maxwell type role as the rock defence.

Senior Smalls: 5.5/10 -Lack a bit of class with our running defenders lowers the score to 5.5/10. Bartram did a great job tagging the small forwards, but still lacks polish and tends to make some bad decisions. MacDonald proved me wrong in 2010 and is very strong in one-on-one contests, but is still a limited footballer who can have problems with decision making. Grimes and Bruce have been played at half back, but both are midfielders filling this gap in our team. Bruce will retire in 2 years and I would like to see Grimes into the midfield asap.

Depth (Talls & Smalls): 2/10 - Could potentially be a problem for us. Warnock is good back up for the key positions, but we have not seen enough of Strauss and McNamara to be confident in them become very good afl players. Youd be a brave man to depend on these 2 playing a serious role in the 2010 senior team.

MIDFIELDERS:

Senior Inside: 8.5/10 - Has become a strength in recent seasons. Moloney and Jamar combo became a real weapon in 2010. McKenzie and Jones are young, tough inside players who are capable and willing to do the grunt work, much of which goes unnoticed. Sylvia and Scully will become our 2 massive guns in future years because they are the perfect mix of inside + outside, with a touch of class to make them stars of the afl

Senior Outside: 8/10 - Trengove started his career as an outsider, but could end up inside + outside. Regardless, Davey and Trengove are 2 really sublime finishers, who will rip some teams apart in coming years. Bruce is consistent and while Mortons output in 2010 wasnt fantastic, he could potentially be our biggest weapon out of all our outside midfielders due to his unique mix of his engine, height and overhead marking. Overall were pretty strong in this area going forward

Depth Inside: 5/10 - Only 5/10 because we only have 2 players we have in this category, one of which I dont rate (Jetta). Gysberts was drafted to be a 190cm Joel Corey type midfielder, and he looks to be a great prospect going forward. Still a few years away from making a big impact

Depth Outside: 5/10 - Blease is a really good prospect, but hes had a really serious injury and were still unsure whether hell become the break-the-lines player we hope hell be.

RUCKS:

SENIOR= Jamar

Senior: 8.5/10 - We have the All Australian ruckman. Enough said. His work up forward was also outstanding at times, always creating a contest and taking some huge pack marks

Depth: 3/10 - PJ is never going to be the back up ruckman we want. Spenser and Gawn are years away from playing consistent footy at afl level. There is a reason we were so keen on Hale during the trade period… will potentially be a real achillis heal in 2011. It must be said that with Gawn and Spenser there is some hope for the future, but not till at least 2012

Utility/Ruckman: 4/10 - This position is becoming an increasingly important position, and unfortunately it is not a strength. Martins rucking at afl level leaves much to be desires. The score is boosted by Fitzpatrick, who showed some real promise at vfl level, but is years away from even getting his body ready for regular afl footy

FORWARD:

Senior talls: 7.5/10 - Im based my score largely on potential. Could be a real strength in future years, but we do appear to lack a really big strong 196+ style forward

Senior medium: 9/10 - A real strength, all players difficult to match up on. Capable of marking and equally good once the ball hits the ground. Some great talent there

Senior smalls: 5/10 - Wona is a pretty good prospect, but Im tempted to put him as a medium forward, bc thats really how he plays. Doesnt kick many genuine crumbing goals front and centre.

Depth: 3/10 - Only 2 in the depth, so a little thin. But, with 9 really talented forwards in the senior team, depth is not as important as it is in the mids and defender. Tapscott a great prospect who will make an impact next year, but Maric looks like a bit of a flop

ANALYSIS

o We could use maybe 1-2 more midfielders to add some more depth in the midfield

- For all positions, we have some genuine top-end talent… but we are struggling for depth almost all over the park. We will struggle if we have many injuries next season. If we stay healthy, and add another 3-4 quality draftees, we are really nicely set for the future.

Thoughts…?

I and many others on several other threads have stated many of your summation thoughts re your analysis with regards to our needs for future list management.Excepting I don't feel we need another crumbing forward-we have Davey, Green,Jurrah,Bennell,Jetta, Maric, Petterd,Tapscott,& Wonaeamirri along with Hughes if we keep him on the list as strong possibilities to cement spots in this role.I also don't believe we need at this stage to recruit anymore midfielders due to the pending arrival of Jack Viney.We have plenty whom can run through the guts IMO.

Edited by jayceebee31

I and many others on several other threads have stated many of your summation thoughts re your analysis with regards to our needs for future list management.Excepting I don't feel we need another crumbing forward-we have Davey, Green,Jurrah,Bennell,Jetta, Maric, Petterd,Tapscott,& Wonaeamirri along with Hughes if we keep him on the list as strong possibilities to cement spots in this role.I also don't believe we need at this stage to recruit anymore midfielders due to the pending arrival of Jack Viney.We have plenty whom can run through the guts IMO.

I agree. I think we've got lots of midfielders these days. Jack Viney helps bc he's a certainty to come to us soon.

Actually we have one of the All Australian bench players.

FORWARD:

Senior talls: 7.5/10 - I’m based my score largely on potential. Could be a real strength in future years, but we do appear to lack a really big strong 196+ style forward

Senior smalls: 5/10 - Wona is a pretty good prospect, but I’m tempted to put him as a medium forward, bc that’s really how he plays. Doesn’t kick many genuine crumbing goals front and centre.

ANALYSIS

Thoughts…?

According to the yearbook Tapscott is closer to 180cms and Maric is 176cms, and I'd switch Dunn with Jurrah as our senior talls.

We desperately need Blease to come on as a player. Our inside midfield includes the unspeedy Moloney, Jones and McKenzie. We need another speedster like Davey to break the lines.

I also have a query over our general height. Kevin Sheedy highlighted this in an article, unfavourably comparing our goal to goal line with that of Essendon and North. We may find we need a tall defender as much as a tall forward. Matthew Watson sounds like an option in the draft at 196cm. and 98kg. Be nice if he's available at pick 32.

We will get at least 3 new players a year for the next 4 years. hopefully we can crack one good/very good addition to our list per year to fill the gaps.

I also have a query over our general height. Kevin Sheedy highlighted this in an article, unfavourably comparing our goal to goal line with that of Essendon and North. We may find we need a tall defender as much as a tall forward. Matthew Watson sounds like an option in the draft at 196cm. and 98kg. Be nice if he's available at pick 32.

That's actually an interesting point I hadn't thought about.

One quality big strong 196+cm key defender and key forward is probably missing.

I think we hoped Martin might play that role, and i'm sure the club has hopes for Fitzpatrick in the future... but we definitely need to keep trying to find this kind of player both forward and back

According to the yearbook Tapscott is closer to 180cms and Maric is 176cms, and I'd switch Dunn with Jurrah as our senior talls.

We desperately need Blease to come on as a player. Our inside midfield includes the unspeedy Moloney, Jones and McKenzie. We need another speedster like Davey to break the lines.

We will get at least 3 new players a year for the next 4 years. hopefully we can crack one good/very good addition to our list per year to fill the gaps.

Good points. Except Jurrah has to be more of a tall

That's actually an interesting point I hadn't thought about.

One quality big strong 196+cm key defender and key forward is probably missing.

I think we hoped Martin might play that role, and i'm sure the club has hopes for Fitzpatrick in the future... but we definitely need to keep trying to find this kind of player both forward and back

It's a pity we'll have to wait 3-5 years for Fitzpatrick to develop. He's a mobile 200cm and could well fit that key position role somewhere. If he's inaccurate in front of goal he may end up on the backline. Some people are good kicks but just can't kick goals.

I'm thinking about the opposition too. There seems to be a trend for taller forwards, with Tippett is 200cms, and Gumbleton and Sam Day at 196cms. Garland and Rivers might struggle at that height.

I think you drastically over-rate our midfield. Those groups of 'senior' insides and outsides might one day deserve 8 out of 10, but they're not even close yet.

ANALYSIS

Thoughts…?

Cheers for that, appreciate the effort posters like you go to-

Firstly I want to say it is very hard to do an analysis such as this with our list seeing as many are yet to play 50 games. Basing any of this on potential brings it undone a little, but it's still an interesting exercise.

- Defence smalls; 5.5 is a little unfair. We lack the "Harbrow" type of rebounding defender per say, but we have people who can do it- Frawley does this well and whilst it would be nice to have Grimes in the midfield, I see no problem whatsoever with him staying back- his poise and decision making breaks lines like no other. I also feel Batram gets viewed a little harshly- I think he had a solid season 2010 and if he can reproduce next year we will be looking good guns down back.

- Gysberts and Tapscott will not be depth. I would have Bail as Outside Mid Depth, Fitzpatric as Forward tall depth, Bennell as senior small and it could be argued, Jetta could be small forward depth. If the positions you have on paper were re-jiged a little it could tell a very different story re depth and strengths. Analysis such as these are very subjective.

- Ruck, yep- it's all on Jamars shoulders. Say no more.

You so should have done this after the draft!!

Just came across a bit of a unique way of analyzing a list on bigfooty.com (I know, I know). Thought I’d give it a go. I think it might be enlightening as to our strengths and weaknesses, and how our depth stacks up in each position. This kind of analysis is particularly relevant in the off-season, because we have to decide what kind of players need to be added to our list via the national draft, so I thought I’d give it a go

My best 25

DEFENCE:

Senior Smalls: 5.5/10 -Lack a bit of class with our running defenders lowers the score to 5.5/10. Bartram did a great job tagging the small forwards, but still lacks polish and tends to make some bad decisions. MacDonald proved me wrong in 2010 and is very strong in one-on-one contests, but is still a limited footballer who can have problems with decision making. Grimes and Bruce have been played at half back, but both are midfielders filling this ‘gap’ in our team. Bruce will retire in 2 years and I would like to see Grimes into the midfield asap.

Depth (Talls & Smalls): 2/10 - Could potentially be a problem for us. Warnock is good back up for the key positions, but we have not seen enough of Strauss and McNamara to be confident in them become very good afl players. You’d be a brave man to depend on these 2 playing a serious role in the 2010 senior team.

MIDFIELDERS:

Senior Outside: 8/10 - Trengove started his career as an outsider, but could end up inside + outside. Regardless, Davey and Trengove are 2 really sublime finishers, who will rip some teams apart in coming years. Bruce is consistent and while Morton’s output in 2010 wasn’t fantastic, he could potentially be our biggest weapon out of all our outside midfielders due to his unique mix of his engine, height and overhead marking. Overall we’re pretty strong in this area going forward

Depth Inside: 5/10 - Only 5/10 because we only have 2 players we have in this category, one of which I don’t rate (Jetta). Gysberts was drafted to be a 190cm Joel Corey type midfielder, and he looks to be a great prospect going forward. Still a few year’s away from making a big impact

Depth Outside: 5/10 - Blease is a really good prospect, but he’s had a really serious injury and we’re still unsure whether he’ll become the ‘break-the-lines’ player we hope he’ll be.

RUCKS:

SENIOR= Jamar

Utility/Ruckman: 4/10 - This position is becoming an increasingly important position, and unfortunately it is not a strength. Martin’s rucking at afl level leaves much to be desires. The score is boosted by Fitzpatrick, who showed some real promise at vfl level, but is year’s away from even getting his body ready for regular afl footy

FORWARD:

ANALYSIS

Thoughts…?

Dramatically overate our mids. We had the second highest inside 50s against us. That's mainly poor midfield pressure. Sure, we have developing talent but it's way off at the moment.

Dramatically overate our mids. We had the second highest inside 50s against us. That's mainly poor midfield pressure. Sure, we have developing talent but it's way off at the moment.

Wouldn't say "dramatically" but if were taking potential into account- Did we really have second highest inside 50s against? Im not a stats man- in any case, this isn't always attributed to the midfield- A turnover anwhere can result in an opposition 50 entry. Our forward 50 pressure last year was virtualy non existant at times.

Agree. The retirement of Junior might just highlight in 2011 what you speak of. I've always been of the opinion that the club should try and generate an outstanding midfield brigade, a real "rolls royce" within the AFL. You can never have enough midfielders. Hanging out for Jack Viney won't just get us there btw. It's probably another reason why I highlight drafting for best available too. (And yes, I acknowledge that we have Gysberts, Blease still to show their wares).

That said, it is a worthwhile thread sylvinator. Highlights holes we still need to address. Whilst we've referred to our backline this year as solid - some have amazingly branded it "finished" - and some media outlets have referred to it as the "Great Wall". Yet, you've correctly identified that we may have one or two holes that may need to be filled or at least replenished to reinforce our back six structure; albeit with depth. How is this so, people ask ? Well, we believe Bartram has done reasonably well, yet we still yearn for a small nippy defender with good foot skills. Strauss we're a little dependant upon for this task, he needs to come to the party, but is no guarantee. Cheney has been moved on (traded), Bell delisted, TMac has serious question marks. And Bruce is in his twilight. On top of all that we have Warnock as a back-up for Frawley & Rivers, yet we seem very thin thereafter. Even though Morton could be utilised in some capacity down back/ off half back..but do we really want that...we might not have another choice...and even he needs to be taught about accountability still.

This is one of the reasons I lean towards someone such as Smedts for first pick of the draft. From what I have seen of him he reads the play extremely well, positions himself well at contests, looks a hard player that won't take a backward step, loves to compete, quick reactionary skills and decent foot skills. As Sheehan has highlighted, one of the names mentioned that could well be available at 12, and from what I gather looks the best available player at pick 12 that might well also fill a need for down back for tall or med/small; either way versatile and can play forward. Another that may even allow Grimes access to the midfield ??

The KP forward/ruck option has been discussed in many a thread and the club have shown their hand (unsuccessful to date) in filling this need. Work in progress obviously as the club seeks an answer. Fitzy has been earmarked, but in the interim as he develops along with Gawn; Jamar seeks help. It's hard to know the exact thoughts of the inner sanctum of the FD, although on face value if they have a plan B this off season for a forward / ruck from the second tier system (VFL, WAFL, SANFL) having had no luck in gaining their best opition within the AFL system (Hale). Then someone such as a Callum Sinclair might be an appropriate option. Particularly given the 21+1 new rule. Would certainly boost the KP forward utility/ruck and depth scores relevant to this thread.

There might well be other options around these picks (12,32) that could fill these two "best available" needs I highlight, for I don't profess to know every single ND applicant out there, nor do I know all strengths and weaknesses of all either.

Depth in the backline has been highlighted. Forget how old Bruce is, that Cheney just left, that Strauss and T Mac yet to show much.. Surely the club does analysis like these also.

Yes, HT, Smedts has just increased his value in my eyes.

Some more stats...

5th disposals

4th handballs

4th tackles

3rd hitouts

1st rebound 50s

1st in 1% 'ers

1st in lowest behinds per game

12th clearances

Rebounds and one percenters looks like a good defence to me. Altho with the ball in our defence so much we are bound to get it out more often than others!!

Clearances is telling given our hitouts.

Edited by jnrmac

It's easy to defend when you have 18 players in your defensive 50. Our transition from defense to attack has be ordinary, more to do with skill errors then our game plan. Our midfield is developing, I think we get ahead of ourselves a little in 2010 I assess our midfield as 5/10 but with the improvement in Scully, Trengove, Gysberts, Blease and co should be able over the next few years push that rating to a 9/10 but again based on potential.

Some more stats...

5th disposals

4th handballs

4th tackles

3rd hitouts

1st rebound 50s

1st in 1% 'ers

1st in lowest behinds per game

12th clearances

Rebounds and one percenters looks like a good defence to me.

Clearances is telling given our hitouts.

How did teams with a midfield brigade as inexperienced as our fair in centre clearences?

The stats say to me we get out muscled in ball ups. They say we are good when we have possesion but getting it is the main problem.

Were over rating our mids? I'd say were over rating our forwards alot more. Talk about basing it on potential..

If we are overating the mids surely we are overating the forwards

I'd like to think it's never as bad as it seems, but it's also never as good as it seems.

You've overrated us in a few areas, particularly ruck (read "Jamar is overrated"), midfield and forwardline.

I love that Jamar had a great year in 2010. He has really grown and matured as a footballer and you could say that he has mastered the art of ruck work. By all reports he puts a lot of work into this side of his game, even studying his opponents and coming up with a plan to beat each and every one of them. But I wouldn't say he is a dominant AFL footballer. I'm not having a go at him, not suggesting he's not good enough, not suggesting he's he is anything but a vital player for us. I'm just saying the second best ruckman in the league last year was probably outside of the top 50 influential players in the league (greena nd Frawle, however, were well and truley up there).

Our midfield is coming along very nicely, but I'm not sure it's at an 8/10 yet. At the moment we don't have a top 5-10, "elite" midfielder (Scully's a chance to be one). We have a few that are good enough to make us really go places (Maloney, Sylvia, Davey), but the rest need to come along a bit, and we need the depth to really improve on top of that.

We have the makings of a great forwardline, and when we're on, it is a great, diverse group, very tough to match up with. But even using just 2010 as an example, we only have one player we can rely on, and that's Green. We need Jurrah's best to happen every other week as opposed to one in three or four, and we need a full year from Petterd like he started 2010.

Watts needs time, Dunn looked good in the second half of 2010, Bate looks good three or four times a year, Aussie looks alright, Bennell can play there.

Plenty of options, but no where near consistent enough. A semi-reliable contested marker who can kick a goal a game would be a god send just to make do while everyone makes what we think will be natural progress.

The ingridients for a great team are there and a lot of the key pieces are already in place (with steady improvement to hopefully come). But we're at least three solid seasons away from being any chance at a flag.

That's right, we won't win the 2013 flag. Two betweem 2014-2017 will be fine with me!

You've overrated us in a few areas, particularly ruck (read "Jamar is overrated"), midfield and forwardline.

I love that Jamar had a great year in 2010. He has really grown and matured as a footballer and you could say that he has mastered the art of ruck work. By all reports he puts a lot of work into this side of his game, even studying his opponents and coming up with a plan to beat each and every one of them. But I wouldn't say he is a dominant AFL footballer. I'm not having a go at him, not suggesting he's not good enough, not suggesting he's he is anything but a vital player for us. I'm just saying the second best ruckman in the league last year was probably outside of the top 50 influential players in the league (greena nd Frawle, however, were well and truley up there).

Sandilands is the only ruck who dominates regularly, and Cox was the only one before that. I'd love a ruckman to dominate most weeks but just because he doesn't has nothing to do with how good or important they are. Jolly had a slow start to the year, dominated a few games and then really stood up in the finals That's all I'd want for Jamar. I think ruck is now like full back it's hard to be very influential, but that doesn't make you very good.

Sandilands is the only ruck who dominates regularly, and Cox was the only one before that. I'd love a ruckman to dominate most weeks but just because he doesn't has nothing to do with how good or important they are. Jolly had a slow start to the year, dominated a few games and then really stood up in the finals That's all I'd want for Jamar. I think ruck is now like full back it's hard to be very influential, but that doesn't make you very good.

I think we agree on Jamar and ruckman in the league in general...?

As for full-backs, I'd say they are (and have the potential to be) as influential as they ever have been. Lake and Scarlett and two great examples, and Fletcher before them. Chip is in that mould too and could be a force to be reckoned with in the next 5 years if he keeps improving.

I think you drastically over-rate our midfield. Those groups of 'senior' insides and outsides might one day deserve 8 out of 10, but they're not even close yet.

I agree 'banana's',,, We have plenty of Listed Potential,,, & they should produce,, But, you can't take it for granted.

Guest grimes4

We need midfielders! Our midfield is hugely overrated in my opinion. We have good players in there but no players that are consistently great and stand up week in week out. Apart from Davey we dont really have any midfielder with sublime skills!Syliva,Moloney,Trengove,Mckenzie,Jones all blue collar type players. Trengove's lack of pace worries me alot! His a good player but quite slow.