Max Rooke retires

e25

Degenerative knee condition has forced his retirement.

Shame, I liked watching him go about it.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/rooke-set-to-call-it-quits/story-e6frf9jf-1225938137376

Things just keep getting worse down at Kardinia Park.

Further proof that when your time at the top is done, you fall to earth very suddenly.

Edited by E25

Memo to all Cats:

last man please turn the lights off!!!

Further news; Geelongs football dept is surprised that night follows day.. " how longs this been happening?" .. " it's caught us off guard and didn't see this coming"

* disclaimer

Nothing has actually been proved yet.

The cats have "only" lost Ablett, Rooke, Djerkurra & Laidler, along with some blokes that never took the field.

They could still be a top 4 side in 2011.

Milburn and Wojinski only given extra contracts on Bombers insistence ...then he buggers off and Cats stuck with them lol .

Just one CATastrophe after another !!! Lol

Mixed emotions about this. Great "average" player, tough as old boots, but would often slaughter Melbourne.

How wonderful is it with all these departures down at [censored] park? Fringe players getting traded, losing a star to the Gold Coast, their President retiring, Coaches and Assistant Coaches leaving, 3 or 4 blokes that will see 2011 as their last seasons, fan-freakin-tastic.

Considering how good they have been for the past 4 years, has their been a more under=performing side in recent times? Maybe St Kilda (considering the quality they had on their list).

For RR's benefit, yes, they did win 2 flags in the past 4 years, but really, with their consistent performances, they should have won an extra 1 if not 2. Potential to be the most successful team of the modern era, now can't be in the same category as the Lions of the early '00s.

Nb. I rate success on premierships, not total games won for a period of time.

Your measure of success is premierships, but you call two premierships "underperforming". So what would you call "par"?!

Well, considering their win/loss record over the past 4 years, I think 2 premierships would be par.

Bruisbane winning 3 in a row would be clubhouse leaders, Geelong should be but I don't htink they are.

The Melbourne era between the mid 50's and early 60's would be above that.

That said, I would love to barrack for an underperforming team if it were to win 2 premierships!

Edited by billy2803

Mixed emotions about this. Great "average" player, tough as old boots, but would often slaughter Melbourne.

How wonderful is it with all these departures down at [censored] park? Fringe players getting traded, losing a star to the Gold Coast, their President retiring, Coaches and Assistant Coaches leaving, 3 or 4 blokes that will see 2011 as their last seasons, fan-freakin-tastic.

Considering how good they have been for the past 4 years, has their been a more under=performing side in recent times? Maybe St Kilda (considering the quality they had on their list).

Yes. About 15 other sides. I'd have MFC topping that list.

Well, considering their win/loss record over the past 4 years, I think 2 premierships would be par.

Bruisbane winning 3 in a row would be clubhouse leaders, Geelong should be but I don't htink they are.

The Melbourne era between the mid 50's and early 60's would be above that.

That said, I would love to barrack for an underperforming team if it were to win 2 premierships!

Premierships are not awarded on your win loss record for the year so your criteria is flawed.

Your measure was the last 4 years so the MFC side of the 1950 and 1960s just falls outside that.

As Daisycutter and others have told you "you're wrong". But keep trying. B)

Your measure was the last 4 years so the MFC side of the 1950 and 1960s just falls outside that.

I would put Melbourne's 1950's effort of 5 Flags in 7 years ahead of Geelong's 2 Flags in the past 4 years.

Geelong should have beaten Hawthorn, they Blew that one in the second Quarter & then Stuart Dew finished them off

So i would guess Geelong would be proud, but still very bitter they lost a 3peat chance.

The MFC must always keep in mind Geelong's effort over this 4 years as we grow. Great but Flawed.

If we could equal our 50's record in the next 10-15 years i will go to the Coffin Smiling big time. B)

I would put Melbourne's 1950's effort of 5 Flags in 7 years ahead of Geelong's 2 Flags in the past 4 years.

Geelong should have beaten Hawthorn, they Blew that one in the second Quarter & then Stuart Dew finished them off

So i would guess Geelong would be proud, but still very bitter they lost a 3peat chance.

The MFC must always keep in mind Geelong's effort over this 4 years as we grow. Great but Flawed.

If we could equal our 50's record in the next 10-15 years i will go to the Coffin Smiling big time. B)

If Geelong had beaten Hawthorn I seriously doubt they would have beaten St Kilda in 2009, that was St Kilda's falg to lose. I think the pain of losing the previous year is what got them over the line in the end...almost worked the same for St Kilda this year too. Thus 2 flags is probably about right if you ask me.

If Geelong had beaten Hawthorn I seriously doubt they would have beaten St Kilda in 2009, that was St Kilda's falg to lose. I think the pain of losing the previous year is what got them over the line in the end...almost worked the same for St Kilda this year too. Thus 2 flags is probably about right if you ask me.

Yes interesting psychology that one. And you may be right-But we will never know. Mooney's half time miss killed them in 2008.

But it just makes our 50's record look even stronger, although Flags are harder to win now-But still we do have 2 3peats, a mighty effort.

I see where you're coming from but can't agree.

Cats finished on top of the ladder 2 of the last four years for 2 premierships. I couldn't call that underperforming.

Obviously any team that loses a Granny would be disappointed, but surely things can be evened out.

The cats had their time in the sun. I would take 2 flags then 10 dark years following the teams demise, because they still got to enjoy 2 f'ing flags!

If the dees can win 2 flags in close succession, I will put up with 10 years of crap that will follow.

The cats had their time in the sun. I would take 2 flags then 10 dark years following the teams demise, because they still got to enjoy 2 f'ing flags!

If the dees can win 2 flags in close succession, I will put up with 10 years of crap that will follow.

^^Yep, but i want at least 4 so we are level with those other 2 sides, and can rightfully be called a "Big 4 Club" B)

i hate the fact we are not in that group considering where we came from

Was easily my favourite non-Melbourne AFL player.

Agreed. Wish he had of had his career with us- I would have loved to see him in the red and blue, and we sure as hell could have done with him!

If he were ours he'd be a fan favorite for sure!

Yes. About 15 other sides. I'd have MFC topping that list.

Premierships are not awarded on your win loss record for the year so your criteria is flawed.

My opinion of being underperformed is based on some people's claim of them being the best side of all time.

Thanks for clarifying that they don't award premierships based on your win/loss record. I seriously question where you're coming from sometimes RR...loser.

And what makes my opinion "wrong", and further, what makes you think you're always "right"?

How hard is it for you to understand what my opinion is in regards to this? I have a number of Geelong supporting friends, and while they are stoked to have won 2 out of the last 4, they believe that the Club could have probably done better. Ask anyone at the Club, and I'm sure they'll say the same thing. The way they have dominated the league over the past 4 years, it would be fair to expect more than 2 premierships. They had the potential/ability to win 4 straight, some experts are saying they are the best ever, and they are the ones I am disagreeing with. The fact that they only won half of what they seriously could've (and that includes them losing that Hawks one), to me = underperforming. I would say the same if it were Melbourne, but as I said in another post, I would still be stoked with 2 flags.

I can assure you. I'm going to continue to have an opinion, and obviously my last couple are quite different to yours. But this having to justify every single fine detail for your little power trip is making you look like a bigger d!ckhead, than it is me for voicing an opinion and sticking to it. I'm more than happy to have my opinion changed, BY ANYONE, but RR, it will take someone with more intelligence than you.