Saints to wear Clash Strip in Grand Final

e25

Where is WYL?

His apocalypse has come...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/st-kilda-will-wear-the-white-clash-jumper-in-the-grand-final/story-e6frf9jf-1225926644698

Actually, I do find this quite concerning.

If the AFL is going to do this, they must force every club to develop a clash strip that can be worn when needed.

In this instance I'd accept Collingwood finished higher on the ladder.

But if they didn't? The claim that they don't in fact have a clash strip is no excuse.

I will say that I don't particularly care how much white is in the clash strip.

That point is irrelevant.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is WYL?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/st-kilda-will-wear-the-white-clash-jumper-in-the-grand-final/story-e6frf9jf-1225926644698

If the AFL is going to do this, they must force every club to develop a clash strip that can be worn when needed.

But if they didn't? The claim that they don't in fact have a clash strip is no excuse.

I am right here 25 and i am furious as WE ALL SHOULD BE!!!!!

This is Bullshite....

Guest DeesPower

Where is WYL?

Yes just imagine if we were in the GF next year on the G and we had to wear that horrible white strip. It would be a travesty of our history our tradition and the love of our supporters. Oh and by the way the traditional Demon strip happens to be the most handsome in the Afl, so will give worldwide audiences a thrill..... Please please don't do this, we are coming, and so is the (traditional) red and blue.

To be honest, this is possibly what the AFL needs to force Collingwood to come up with an alternative strip.

Only the prospect of the side that finished higher on the ladder being asked to wear an alternative strip in the GF would generate sufficient angst amongst opposition supporters for the AFL to follow through and force the pies to change.

Until that moment, I'm pretty sure most supporters won't really care.

Once the pies do cave and get an alternative strip, it will open the floodgates and all teams will be treated equally (or so it goes in my utopian ideal).

I think you may actually be correct there...

Either way, the AFL has gone and set a precedent by declaring the issue being who finished higher on the ladder.

Now we just need to wait and hope the reverse happens to Collingwood sooner rather than later.

Am I imagining that precedent has dictated that a coin flip determines the 'home' side in past years as to who gets to wear the dark shorts v white shorts???

Exactly!

If the AFL is so determined to force everyone into these ridiculous clash jumpers, they should at least give way to the old tradition of tossing a coin to see who wears what.

It was bad enough when LJ won his mark of the year wearing white.

I get pxxed off everytime I look at that spectacular leap on my desktop !

End the clash and end it NOW!!

For once Eddie has a point.

All clubs need to tell the AFL this is wrong, wrong wrong !

See I was so annoyed I called it a "goal" not a mark!!! Have now corrected it

Edited by BangkokDemon

Am I imagining that precedent has dictated that a coin flip determines the 'home' side in past years as to who gets to wear the dark shorts v white shorts???

No. They also flipped to determine which change room too, didn't they ?

Jusr doesnt make any sense does it really. Put the Sainters in normal strip with white shorts.. and the filth in theirs with black...wheres the clash.. After all we managed this for many a score ( years) .

Just plain pigheadednes on the AFL's part. Had St Kilda finished higher they would be wearing home strip.. collingowood their claytons away strip...and thatwould be deemed ok !! its just all Bovine Sh!zen!!

Had it been the Bombers and the Filth..what then.. one team in black with red..another with black with white..!!

Its just one rule for one and bugger the rest

Go Sainters !!

No. They also flipped to determine which change room too, didn't they ?

Yes, they did.

For a couple of our GF's we had to use the "away" rooms, if I remember correctly.

Not sure if we won those years ?

Perhaps someone else knows the answer?

This is all because about 10 years ago Collingwood were allowed to change their guernsey to a reverse of their traditional strip. Up until then they had a predominantly white guernsey with black numbers and three black stripes down the front and back (the same as their current clash strip). For some reason they were allowed a predominantly black guernsey with white numbers and this has created more of a clash. Don't fall for the line about this being the Pies traditional jumper. Every previous premiership they have won was in fact won in a guernsey the exact opposite in design to their current one. Their away stripis in fact their traditional jumper. This would be the same one they wore against the Saints in the game where Reiwoldt did his hammy. They may not have changed their colours but they have certainly changed their guernsey. It's the same as us having a red jumper with a navy blue yoke!!

I think Collingwoods jumper changed back (black back panels )then to allow better viewing of sponsors logos on their backs...

The filth are conning all and sundry and the AFL is just too spineless to do or say anything against them. They talk in "meaningless sayings" all designed to look like they are demonstrating their role but actually saying and doing nothing.

Where is WYL?

I reckon collingwood should should have it's original jumper as a clash strip. You know the red, white and blue one they wore in the early 1890's when they were known as brittania. The story goes that they couldn't get into what was then the VFA in their original uniform because footscray which was already in that competition had that very same jumper.

There would have been no issue if Collingwood had finished below St Kilda. Check out this video from Round 3 this year (Riewoldt does his hammy game):

Clearly Collingwood's wearing its alternate strip and St Kilda is in its regular strip. So that wouldn't have been an issue.

AFAIK the white/dark shorts issue is solved easily whereby the team with the darker jumper wears the dark shorts and the team with the lighter jumper wears white. For example, Fremantle wore its home guernsey against Geelong, so they had purple shorts whilst Geelong wore white.

AFAIK the white/dark shorts issue is solved easily whereby the team with the darker jumper wears the dark shorts and the team with the lighter jumper wears white. For example, Fremantle wore its home guernsey against Geelong, so they had purple shorts whilst Geelong wore white.

So, if the coin was tossed and Collingwood won the white shorts, this jumper issue wouldn't really be an "issue."

These "clashes" are a storm in a teacup that yet again the AFL created. If they are dead set on this, which by making the saints wear the alternate strip they must be, they must get the Pies and the Bombers to create truly alternate tops. We have been denied our bid for the reversed guernsey because they said it must be predominately white, we where's Essendons white top?

Disgrace that the Saints had to even ask if they could wear their real top if they won.

These "clashes" are a storm in a teacup that yet again the AFL created. If they are dead set on this, which by making the saints wear the alternate strip they must be, they must get the Pies and the Bombers to create truly alternate tops. We have been denied our bid for the reversed guernsey because they said it must be predominately white, we where's Essendons white top?

Disgrace that the Saints had to even ask if they could wear their real top if they won.

I would love to know what would happen if next week the St.kilda side ran onto the MCG in their Traditional Jumpers..What would the AFL do??

Is anything written as a stated penalty. Someone has got to take the AFL on....."No pain No Gain" Will the saints have the Balls to do it?

Some of their supporters today i mentioned it to were almost crying because of it. Does the AFL care about anything??

This link proves that Collingwood and the AFL have in fact created the clash. It's a good read. http://www.sainters.com/stripclash/

Spot on....and guess who wins the Battle on saturday.....STAND UP SAINTS. 5 Days to go. Wear your Trad Jumper this Saturday.

JUST DO IT.

I am right here 25 and i am furious as WE ALL SHOULD BE!!!!!

This is Bullshite....

What's new , Eddie has Demetriou and all the other sycophants in his pocket and always has and always will. He run's the club that brings in the most money and Demetriou gets 2 million a year for keeping McChins happy

This link proves that Collingwood and the AFL have in fact created the clash. It's a good read. http://www.sainters.com/stripclash/

Great find !

Maybe this will stir the pot and make Eddie have to debate this issue transparently - not behind closed doors with the AFL.