Saints to wear Clash Strip in Grand Final

e25

Not me, I love the history. Throw out nothing. That we agree on

Getting back to the green, did we actually wear any green on the jumper, or anywhere else. Would love some references to read.

Where is Lynda Carroll when you need her...

Try a frustrating Google search.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then you can celebrate the 100th anniversary of the club in 2033.

The first 75 years we were d!cking around?

You embrace it all, or you cut your ties.

What utter rubbish..

What we WERE is part of our history...but that is obviously not how the Club is shaping our presence..or are you oblivious to that as it just does carry water... just another "aside'

Tripe !!

Where is Lynda Carroll when you need her...

Try a frustrating Google search.

Thanks, all I could find was on wikipedia - "Melbourne Football Club" - pretty much what you said

During the 1870s, Melbourne fielded teams in the Seven Twenties and South Yarra Cup competitions.

After a visit to England by one of the club's officials, the colours of red and green were officially adopted by the club. Shortly following, the club began wearing a predominately red strip and became informally known by supporters as the "Redlegs".

The name "Redlegs" was coined after a Melbourne official returned from a trip to England with one set of red and another of blue woollen socks. Melbourne wore the red set while the blue set were, allegedly, given to the Carlton Football Club. This may be the source of Carlton's nickname, 'The Blueboys'.

if anyone has more info re the "green", please post

What we WERE is part of our history...but that is obviously not how the Club is shaping our presence..or are you oblivious to that as it just does carry water... just another "aside'

Huh?

So what we were is a part of our history, but not important enough to have any bearing on the modern day?

Pick what you want. Do you want to totally ignore our history for the sake of your borderline-pathetic argument, or would you (and DC and WYL) care to wake up, take a reasonable stance, accept that white was a part of our history, that we are a club that respects our history, and that the white on our jumper is OK?

What utter rubbish..

Tripe !!

Embracing history isn't changing the present, it is about self-reflection and valuing the efforts of those that got us to where we are now.

Rudd should never have said anything, Japanese students should never learn about WW2, etc.

Why is embracing our past such an existential threat to our present and future?

Huh?

So what we were is a part of our history, but not important enough to have any bearing on the modern day?

Pick what you want. Do you want to totally ignore our history for the sake of your borderline-pathetic argument, or would you (and DC and WYL) care to wake up, take a reasonable stance, accept that white was a part of our history, that we are a club that respects our history, and that the white on our jumper is OK?

Its a rather pathetic argument to criticize someone who doesn't want white in a clash jumper by accusing them of not respecting the history or heritage of the club.

Personally, I take it as insult, and using this argument in a personal way is scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I don't mind those whose POV is that white has some significance because of the link to "invincible whites". My POV is that is not a strong enough argument for me. That is just a personal POV, but those who turn it around and accuse people of ignoring or disrespecting history are guilty of playing the man and not the ball.

Edited by daisycutter

Embracing history isn't changing the present, it is about self-reflection and valuing the efforts of those that got us to where we are now.

Rudd should never have said anything, Japanese students should never learn about WW2, etc.

Why is embracing our past such an existential threat to our present and future?

On the history trail, Interesting to see the history of our jumpers. Take a look.

http://www.footyjumpers.com/

You do realise that our "clash" jumper of red white and blue is the same colours as Collingwoods heritage colours, when they were known as Britannia prior to joing the then VFA (pre VFL).

Does that boil your blood WYL?

Yes i actually did hear KB talking about the Britannia jumper this morning.

WE SHOULD NEVER WEAR THOSE 3 COLOURS TOGETHER IF COLLINGWOOD DID. END OF STORY.

Yes my Blood is Fuming now!!!!

Its a rather pathetic argument to criticize someone who doesn't want white in a clash jumper by accusing them of not respecting the history or heritage of the club.

Personally, I take it as insult, and using this argument in a personal way is scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I don't mind those whose POV is that white has some significance because of the link to "invincible whites". My POV is that is not a strong enough argument for me. That is just a personal POV, but those who turn it around and accuse people of ignoring or disrespecting history are guilty of playing the man and not the ball.

It's not really. I'm attacking those who suggest that our history is important yet whose argument seemingly goes against said history. Sorry if you took that personally, DC, but you seem to have an argument that says that we shouldn't have white because it's not a part of us being 'red and blue', and yet it was.

I don't particularly like the white jumper either, but not because its white. I don't like it because of the design. Personally I reckon if we could get a decently designed jumper, even if it was still white, there'd be less complaining.

It's not really. I'm attacking those who suggest that our history is important yet whose argument seemingly goes against said history. Sorry if you took that personally, DC, but you seem to have an argument that says that we shouldn't have white because it's not a part of us being 'red and blue', and yet it was.

I don't particularly like the white jumper either, but not because its white. I don't like it because of the design. Personally I reckon if we could get a decently designed jumper, even if it was still white, there'd be less complaining.

Well lets drop all this carp about posters who don't want white being disrespectful of history/heritage/tradition/whatever

yes, we wore all white jumpers for a few years in the beginning. I never said it wasn't a fact.

So did all the other clubs playing then - there was no such thing as club jumpers then

Thats why I don't think the "connection" is a strong one

When we first looked at clash jumpers no-one said "lets go back to our heritage and add white"

In fact our first clash jumper had no white

It was the AFL who mandated white

The arguments of invincible whites only came up then (after the use of white)

We have never worn red+blue+white jumpers in our whole history (thats for Footscray)

Yes I'm passionate about red and blue, it in our song FFS

Yes I also don't like the current design

I also don't like the sheer mass of white (the so called "predominately" white)

Most of the clash jumpers all look much the same from a distance (a sea of white), so bland looking and so un-club looking

Look, its just a POV OK, not a hanging offence.

For those who like, or can live with the predominately white clash jumper then thats your right and I accept that as your POV even if I disagree, and, I don't criticize those on a personal basis

I don't think there's much more to be said

Oh, and by the way, its pretty hard to come up with good designs when 80+% of the jumper has to be white

Think about that one

Oh, and by the way, its pretty hard to come up with good designs when 80+% of the jumper has to be white

Think about that one

Your first post wasn't so bad, but this is a bit ridiculous. In fact it's ludicrous.

That other thread that was doing the rounds, there were plenty of good designs in that thread that were white jumpers.

Your first post wasn't so bad, but this is a bit ridiculous. In fact it's ludicrous.

That other thread that was doing the rounds, there were plenty of good designs in that thread that were white jumpers.

I'm not saying some of the designs, in as far as they can go aren't too bad. (yes. I've seen them)

Its just that when you are restricted to about 80% white, you still inevitably end up with about 80% white.

No design can get around that.

Whats ridiculous (or ludicrous) about saying that? I thought it pretty obvious.

(P.S. as we are stuck with a predominately white jumper for the moment, yes I am in favour of getting the best possible design out there, I have always said that. That will make me happier but not happy . . if you know what I mean)

I'm fully aware of our heritage and marvel at our journey ang longevity. It's a fallacious argument to suggest that opposing wearing a clash jumper in a GF ESP if it was white based is disrespectful . Hardly. If were talking heritage round by all means ... But if were talking the here and now and thw who we are now then we should only take the field on that exalted day in our Red and Blue. By all means keep an eye on yesterday but live in the now

I'm fully aware of our heritage and marvel at our journey ang longevity. It's a fallacious argument to suggest that opposing wearing a clash jumper in a GF ESP if it was white based is disrespectful . Hardly. If were talking heritage round by all means ... But if were talking the here and now and thw who we are now then we should only take the field on that exalted day in our Red and Blue. By all means keep an eye on yesterday but live in the now

But you didn't say that 'we shouldn't be wearing white on GF day' - you implied that what we are now (red and blue) is all we ever should be (GF or any other match) and all the identity we should identify with - that is being dismissive of the past.

But you didn't say that 'we shouldn't be wearing white on GF day' - you implied that what we are now (red and blue) is all we ever should be (GF or any other match) and all the identity we should identify with - that is being dismissive of the past.

give it a break RPFC

no-one is being dismissive (or disrespectful) of the past.

Its all in your mind . . . . and you're spinning your wheels

That's right keep churning . I said no such thing. You know it. But feel free to quote out of context . I have no real issue with clash jumpers . .. Provided all have them . I'd prefer ours Not to be white. I really applaud the Filth for their stance and suggest we emulate . And again I will say we ought never take the field in a GF in anything but our real guernsey which is Red and Blue.

Strange others can understand that

Sorry to continue this debate rpfc...

I'm not saying some of the designs, in as far as they can go aren't too bad. (yes. I've seen them)

Its just that when you are restricted to about 80% white, you still inevitably end up with about 80% white.

No design can get around that.

Whats ridiculous (or ludicrous) about saying that? I thought it pretty obvious.

(P.S. as we are stuck with a predominately white jumper for the moment, yes I am in favour of getting the best possible design out there, I have always said that. That will make me happier but not happy . . if you know what I mean)

What is ridiculous about it is saying that an 80% white jumper is going to be a bad design no matter what it looks like. That's rubbish, and like I said, go and have a look at some of the designs some of the members here have made and put into the clash jumper thread.

Exactly.

Sorry to continue this debate rpfc...

What is ridiculous about it is saying that an 80% white jumper is going to be a bad design no matter what it looks like. That's rubbish, and like I said, go and have a look at some of the designs some of the members here have made and put into the clash jumper thread.

Exactly.

you obviously can't comprehend or read

suggest you go and re-read what I and other poster said