How has Melbourne performed for 2010?

Disco Demons

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I Would Give Them a B If We Had Beat Collingwood And North And Eagles It Would Be a B+

Probably at B+.

Definite improvement on last season.

I like the stat of how many quaters we win per season. This year is already well up on last season, with 2 games to go.

If we keep contiuing down this path we will makes top 4 within 2-3 years.

This year served its purpose. We learned how to win again, we pumped plenty of games into our young players, we unearthed a few gems, and our senior players stood tall.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I Would Give Them a B If We Had Beat Collingwood And North And Eagles It Would Be a B+

Probably at B+.

Definite improvement on last season.

I like the stat of how many quaters we win per season. This year is already well up on last season, with 2 games to go.

If we keep contiuing down this path we will makes top 4 within 2-3 years.

This year served its purpose. We learned how to win again, we pumped plenty of games into our young players, we unearthed a few gems, and our senior players stood tall.

B+

Exceeded expectations? Yes at 8.5 wins with two games remaining.

Debutants:

- Scully a success

- Trengove a success

- McKenzie flourished

- Wattsy work in progress but signs are there (plus surpassed NikNat!)

- Gysberts a bloody amazing success (albeit for injury)!

Biggest losing margin was 56 points in Round 1 vs Hawks!! Remember 2008 when we lost 3 games by around 100 points to Geelong, Hawthorn and the Dogs??

The key games:

- Drew with Pies on QUeen's B'day

- Lost to Pies by 1 point

- Lost to Dogs by 3 points

- Beat Sydney by 12 goals

- Beat Brissy when they were 4-0 by 50 points

- Winning interstate vs Port (Darwin!) and Brissy (Gabba)

Injuries took their toll so we have to be marked down for that unfortunately - that's just pure bad luck and the way things go sometimes.

Losing to WEST COAST in Melbourne was pathetic.

EDIT: Got to add the MFC Board as a positive also!!! Eradicated our debt completely and has really input some positive vibes around the club - moving to AAMI Park, no more debt, more communication, new emlem.

The positives FAR outweigh the negatives!

Edited by DeezMan

I've gone with an A.

But the more I've thought about it, and deleted the long version a few times, the more I want to add a '+'

Putting aside beating ladder expectations, putting aside development of players across the board... I'm thinking that the great successes of this year have been intangibles.

Clarity of purpose, initiative, unity, and even humility.

Could we be better prepared?

B plus, the positives this year have been enormous- all of our youngsters have played well when given the oppotunity

We havent been blown out by 10plus goals in any games

Beating a top 8 side in Sydney by 12 goals

Creditable performances against and Dogs

Winning more than double the amount of games won last year

having three possible All- australian nominations and

at least three rising star nominations

Only negatives i can think of are the unexpected losses to West coke and North

and the stinkers in Round 1 against Hawthorn, then the Carlton and Adelaide games-

like i said thought the positives far outweigh the negatives

Can't wait for next year!!!!!

The club...A+++ bloody fantastic effort

The team B- for me. Thats nots critical...just realistic. Many areas to improve in but the ability is there.. Like the old school reports.. He shows ability and can do better with more effort and application. Needs to concentrate for the full term etc.

were on our way for sure...but weve only really just a few miles down that track.

Overall...a B

Off Field = A+ (debt removed, record memberships, AAMI park)

List Management = A (at this stage looks like good drafting in 2009, and good management of contracts with the retention of Petterd and Frawley on a long term deal)

List Development = A (significant improvement in many players across all areas of the ground. Jamar, Frawley, Sylvia, Petterd, Dunn the standouts)

On Field = B+ (enormous improvement on the field, and better execution of game plan. Would have been A had we beat West Coast, A+ had we made finals)

Overall Result = A

(Should have been a teacher! demon_rolleyes.gif )

Off-field: A+

On-Field: B+

Hard to argue against an A+ for off-field matters. DB's shown clear improvement, the debt is gone, the Stynes-Schwab-Connolly-Bailey adminstration seems sound, we've had no real dramas off-field (a la Stokes and his drugs, Lovett and his escapades, Cousins and his pills, Connors and his drinking, Hurley and his fists, Ablett and his money), everyone seems to be happy.

On-field, a B+ is appropriate IMO. We've either matched or exceeded expectations, we've matched it with a likely premier twice, plus two other top 4 sides, won in Darwin and Brisbane, put up a half-decent show in Perth, won 3 in a row twice, and played some damn good football too. We've also had some shockers, but those are what prevent the season from being an A. Should not have lost to West Coast or North Melbourne, should have closed out at least one of the Collingwood or Bulldogs games.

Splitting hairs possibly...but the poll asks about performance...not the measuring up to expectations.. This can be a very different level of play.

Just a note.....thats all :unsure:

I said before the season that 10th would be a good result, 12th an average result and 14th or below a poor season.

On that basis I think we've had a good season.

Most people had us around 10-12 at the start of the year with some optimists talking finals. I think in terms of expectations, we've at least met the expectations if not surpassed them.

Splitting hairs possibly...but the poll asks about performance...not the measuring up to expectations.. This can be a very different level of play.

Just a note.....thats all :unsure:

True, but you have to measure performance in context.

If St Kilda don't win the flag, they have failed this season, but obviously the same measures cannot be applied to Melbourne.

Given where we have been over the last 3 seasons, to be pushing for finals in round 19 is a massive improvement, especially when you consider that had a few results gone our way this year (Collingwood, Bulldogs), we would have comfortably made the 8.

This season, much like next season, is about development, and I think that we are now probably one year behind Carlton, when we should have been 2 years behind, and have leapfrogged a number of other clubs who have struggled in recent times. Certainly the improvement has been more rapid than I, and probably many others, expected.

Going into this season I thought 2012 would be a realistic target for making finals, but having seen the improvement this season, I'd say the club has finals firmly in its sights next season.

Most people had us around 10-12 at the start of the year with some optimists talking finals. I think in terms of expectations, we've at least met the expectations if not surpassed them.

FINALS??? They must have been mega optimists considering we just came off a season winning 4 games and finishing bottom with a priority draft pick!!!

I picked us to finish around 12th and hope we can move up a further 4 spots in Season 2011. And then another 4 in Season 2012.

I'll drink to that!! ZzzZ

B+

Exceeded expectations? Yes at 8.5 wins with two games remaining.

Debutants:

- Scully a success

- Trengove a success

- McKenzie flourished

- Wattsy work in progress but signs are there (plus surpassed NikNat!)

- Gysberts a bloody amazing success (albeit for injury)!

Biggest losing margin was 56 points in Round 1 vs Hawks!! Remember 2008 when we lost 3 games by around 100 points to Geelong, Hawthorn and the Dogs??

The key games:

- Drew with Pies on QUeen's B'day

- Lost to Pies by 1 point

- Lost to Dogs by 3 points

- Beat Sydney by 12 goals

- Beat Brissy when they were 4-0 by 50 points

- Winning interstate vs Port (Darwin!) and Brissy (Gabba)

Injuries took their toll so we have to be marked down for that unfortunately - that's just pure bad luck and the way things go sometimes.

Losing to WEST COAST in Melbourne was pathetic.

EDIT: Got to add the MFC Board as a positive also!!! Eradicated our debt completely and has really input some positive vibes around the club - moving to AAMI Park, no more debt, more communication, new emlem.

The positives FAR outweigh the negatives!

Very well said. Also getting beat by North Melb but we dont play well at the Dome

Hi all, I would give the club a flat C for the season. They are now an average team. Granted there has been great improvemt but it has come from the lowest base. Seen this too often over the past 40 years.

My reasons for this average marking.

1) The team has not yet learned what is the minimum performance standard required for every game.

2) The loss to WC was inexcusable and likely cost us a real crack at the finals.

3) Uncompetative performances over middle ranked teams like Carlton and North Melbourne.

4) Melbourne has only been able to take 6 points out of a possible 44 points from higher ranked teams. Correct me if I am wrong.

5) Inability to take chances in close games against premium opponents.

6) Melbourne has had a relatively soft draw this season.

The way I see it, there seems to be too much satisfied fuzzy expectation that the improvement will continue and that a finals appearanace is a mere formality next season from many supporters. As yet I haven't seen the real desperate hunger that premiership winners have. For too long the club has been satisfied with making up the numbers in the finals and that is not good enough. They also have to develop the fear that there may be a bull ant lurking every time they feel like sitting down.

Edited by america de cali

Hi all, I would give the club a flat C for the season. They are now an average team. Granted there has been great improvemt but it has come from the lowest base. Seen this too often over the past 40 years.

My reasons for this average marking.

1) The team has not yet learned what is the minimum performance standard required for every game.

2) The loss to WC was inexcusable and likely cost us a real crack at the finals.

3) Uncompetative performances over middle ranked teams like Carlton and North Melbourne.

4) Melbourne has only been able to take 6 points out of a possible 44 points from higher ranked teams. Correct me if I am wrong.

5) Inability to take chances in close games against premium opponents.

6) Melbourne has had a relatively soft draw this season.

The way I see it, there seems to be too much satisfied fuzzy expectation that the improvement will continue and that a finals appearanace is a mere formality next season from many supporters. As yet I haven't seen the real desperate hunger that premiership winners have. For too long the club has been satisfied with making up the numbers in the finals and that is not good enough. They also have to develop the fear that there may be a bull ant lurking every time they feel like sitting down.

Ar you gothic? Why so sad...? Why so depressing???

1) Think of Melbourne's current DEVELOPMENT phase.

2) Compare where we are now (and how we have performed especially against quality opposition) to a mere 12 months ago!

Realistically thats where they are at at the moment. An average side no different to half a dozen or so. Improving from poor to average is no big deal considering all the talent they have drafted. Nothing changes until they start to deliver. This lot has the potential to be the best and I desperately hope to see them improve to that level. But is the winners attitude there yet? They have played well against some fancied teams but lacked respect against some less fancied sides. It has been a regular pattern this year of fine games being followed up with poor attitude and associated losses. Melbourne were noted in the 80/90's of being up themselves, susceptable to over confidence and paid the price everytime. Their best ever chance at that time was in 1990 when they were flag favorites and blew it big time with one of the most pathetic performances I've ever seen against WC at AFL Park which eventually allowed "the filth" to grab the flag.

Realistically thats where they are at at the moment. An average side no different to half a dozen or so. Improving from poor to average is no big deal considering all the talent they have drafted. Nothing changes until they start to deliver. This lot has the potential to be the best and I desperately hope to see them improve to that level. But is the winners attitude there yet? They have played well against some fancied teams but lacked respect against some less fancied sides. It has been a regular pattern this year of fine games being followed up with poor attitude and associated losses. Melbourne were noted in the 80/90's of being up themselves, susceptable to over confidence and paid the price everytime. Their best ever chance at that time was in 1990 when they were flag favorites and blew it big time with one of the most pathetic performances I've ever seen against WC at AFL Park which eventually allowed "the filth" to grab the flag.

I love the passion and desire for the killer instinct. I agree with what you say. However i believe you are looking at the original question posed in the wrong manner.

How has Melbourne performed for 2010? I would think this would mean have they gone forward, backward or tread water this year. It's not about how they rate compared to other teams. (Because if Geelong are an A+, Melbourne would be an E on that scale).

A flat c would indicate they have just tread water this year. Which clearly they haven't.

They have made some great leaps forward. Yes they have had those inconsistent performances and frustrating losses but does that mean their season has not been positive? They achieved the goal Bailey set in terms of wins and they have developed and got games into their youngsters that will be the future.

Therefore i think it is entirely reasonable that people are giving them a B or B+ for the ground they have made.

I love the passion and desire for the killer instinct. I agree with what you say. However i believe you are looking at the original question posed in the wrong manner.

How has Melbourne performed for 2010? I would think this would mean have they gone forward, backward or tread water this year. It's not about how they rate compared to other teams. (Because if Geelong are an A+, Melbourne would be an E on that scale).

A flat c would indicate they have just tread water this year. Which clearly they haven't.

They have made some great leaps forward. Yes they have had those inconsistent performances and frustrating losses but does that mean their season has not been positive? They achieved the goal Bailey set in terms of wins and they have developed and got games into their youngsters that will be the future.

Therefore i think it is entirely reasonable that people are giving them a B or B+ for the ground they have made.

Thanks for your opinions. My biggest concern is how do the Demons develop a winning culture? They don't seem to approach all opposition with the same ruthlessness.

They still seem to pump themselves up to play Collingwood and on those performances they look potentially awesome. I would not call a "C" a fail but an adequate pass and indication that they now amongst the mix with unlimited potential for improvement. But I don't quite believe the club has shaken off the playing culture of the past 4 decades yet.

Who did we beat this year.

Richmond twice. Also a struggling side on the improve.

Brisbane twice. Rapidly turning into a rabble.

Adelaide. Out of form and a lot of injures.

Port Adelaide. A team on the skids.

Essendon. Another team on the skids.

Sydney. Our best win but they looked a little distracted and did not come to play.

Who did we beat this year.

Richmond twice. Also a struggling side on the improve.

Brisbane twice. Rapidly turning into a rabble.

Adelaide. Out of form and a lot of injures.

Port Adelaide. A team on the skids.

Essendon. Another team on the skids.

Sydney. Our best win but they looked a little distracted and did not come to play.

Notes:

- We beat Brissy the first time when they were 4-0 and fully fit minus Power.

- We beat Essendon who have had the wood over us for a good 5 years (it was a great effort to break that little hoodoo).

- We beat Brissy INTERSTATE and Port INTERSTATE. I don't care WHO we play away from Victoria, a win interstate was unheard of in years passed (let alone 2 wins this year!!). We have another chance vs Port this weekend!

- Please don't make the Sydney annihilation sound so dull. It was a 12 goal win against a side in the 8 and improving in the latter half of the year!

- Need I say we drew to Collingwood and also lost to them by a mere point?!?! It is quite possible we should have really beaten them both times also! Lost to the Dogs by under a goal as well!! THAT is improvement beyond belief!

I feel that you've been a tad harsh overall...

Notes:

- We beat Brissy the first time when they were 4-0 and fully fit minus Power.

- We beat Essendon who have had the wood over us for a good 5 years (it was a great effort to break that little hoodoo).

- We beat Brissy INTERSTATE and Port INTERSTATE. I don't care WHO we play away from Victoria, a win interstate was unheard of in years passed (let alone 2 wins this year!!). We have another chance vs Port this weekend!

- Please don't make the Sydney annihilation sound so dull. It was a 12 goal win against a side in the 8 and improving in the latter half of the year!

- Need I say we drew to Collingwood and also lost to them by a mere point?!?! It is quite possible we should have really beaten them both times also! Lost to the Dogs by under a goal as well!! THAT is improvement beyond belief!

I feel that you've been a tad harsh overall...

I 'd rather be harsh now instead of throwing undeserved love bombs everywhere at this stage. We haven't done anything yet. Not mediocre anymore, we've just improved to AVERAGE. I'd be happy to concede a 100 pts defeat to Collingwood every time in the regular season to trade for a 16/6 winning season. I'm tired of this team saving their best for the Queens Birthday round. I'd like to see the same commitment against the rest of the comp.

I 'd rather be harsh than throw undeserved love bombs every where at this stage. We haven't done anything yet. Not mediocre anymore, we've just improved to AVERAGE.

Yes. We have improved. Therefore they get a reasonable mark. That's not a love bomb, it's what happened.

If they don't improve again next year then they get a fail. And there will be no shortage of anger-bombs then!!!

I 'd rather be harsh now instead of throwing undeserved love bombs everywhere at this stage. We haven't done anything yet. Not mediocre anymore, we've just improved to AVERAGE. I'd be happy to concede a 100 pts defeat to Collingwood every time in the regular season to trade for a 16/6 winning season. I'm tired of this team saving their best for the Queens Birthday round. I'd like to see the same commitment against the rest of the comp.

I agree with this. Next Season the heat is on the Demons, and that is a good thing. This club must rise beyond what it has done for many years. We are a new club on & off the field. I like the fact that we are going to be marked very hard next year.

Did Melbourne really save their "best game" for the Queen's Birthday clash?? That's poor judgment and a shocking view of the Dees' mentality going into each game. Melbourne go out and play to their absolute best EVERY SINGLE WEEK!! They do it for us. They do it for Jim.

Besides... that game against Sydney was Melbourne's best match of the year closely followed by the Brissy Rnd 5 match and then the QB match.