This heart beats true for the red and blue

jackaub

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AFL has already said that home strips only will be worn at Grand Finals... so not really that much of an issue. The thing is if they don't have an issue about it in Grannies, why H&A games ?

AFL has already said that home strips only will be worn at Grand Finals... so not really that much of an issue. The thing is if they don't have an issue about it in Grannies, why H&A games ?

Er, because the AFL likes inconsistency. It's part of the brand.

Well said. Can't believe i read these people talk about this issue for so long. I must be bored!

Oh Guys I could not agree more the AFL demands basically white away strips, I was at brisbane tonight it looked ok.

I am over it, we won, nowadays as long as we win white is fine with me

Oh Guys I could not agree more the AFL demands basically white away strips, I was at brisbane tonight it looked ok.

I am over it, we won, nowadays as long as we win white is fine with me

You have the attitude the AFL is wanting. Don't ever expect me to think white is fine on a melbourne Jumper.

That's Footscray.

You have the attitude the AFL is wanting. Don't ever expect me to think white is fine on a melbourne Jumper.

That's Footscray.

Want to make a bet on who wins?

I will give you 10 to 1 on a jumper other than white!

What is it you do not understand? the AFL has all the power and the MFC none on this issue.

Why are we still arguing about this? It is a done deal the AFL won some time ago.

Want to make a bet on who wins?

I will give you 10 to 1 on a jumper other than white!

What is it you do not understand? the AFL has all the power and the MFC none on this issue.

Why are we still arguing about this? It is a done deal the AFL won some time ago.

Old Dee it is not a done deal if enough members fight it. Look at Collingwood & Essendon. Good on them i say. Over the next 3-5 years we should aim to do the same. Fight for the Heritage of our Club.

The F$%^&ng rules of the game live inside our club, and it's time to remember that.

The MFC has no power on this issue if the members all take your attitude.

After Demetrio & Anderson are long gone the MFC will still stand.

As Red & Blue.

You see the AFL do not want the away team to win, because losers spend less money during and after the Game, so they are happy to make the "away Guernsey" white. White being the colour of surrender.

If we must have an alternative we must fight for more red.

As our membership increases & we play more games in september we will stand our ground more- i have no doubt.

You see the AFL do not want the away team to win, because losers spend less money during and after the Game, so they are happy to make the "away Guernsey" white. White being the colour of surrender.

Very long bow to draw...in fact utterly ridiculous bow to draw. It's more probable that the AFL like the alternative jumpers because they bring in more revenue through increased jumper sales.

FWIW, and I'm sure you care, I LOVE the alternative Guernsey! I think it looks great, you can use a regular black texta to get the kids autographs and it has the demon logo on it. Three years ago we were all bitching and moaning about losing the demon from our logo & jumper. When the club listens and does something to bring it back, and people carry on coz they don't like the background it's on? Can't win.

Like it or not though, the white stays for now, until we have enough money and respect to get our own way. So the real question should be, do you like the design?

That is possibly one of the most ridiculous conspiracy theories I have ever heard.

That is possibly one of the most ridiculous conspiracy theories I have ever heard.

Fine, but give it some thought. The decisions made weekly on the Clash Jumpers are ridiculous. And the AFL loves making a dollar. A Full stadium particularly interstate is going to spend up nice and big at the Ground after a win before they head home.

I do it, A win at the 'G and i head to the Bar in the MCC. A loss and its straight out the Gate and home.

I have been thinking this one through for a long time-because i honestly don't think the Clash scenario is real.

Others will, and that is their right.

A Happy winning Home Team will open the wallet. The losers go home quietly.....

Edited by why you little

Suit yourself rpfc but i will not let this one go. Particularly when we had to wear a clash strip against St.kilda and then Essendon were fine to wear their colours against us. It's the AFL who are wrong on this-Not me.

We should never wear white-thats foor Footscray. We are Red & Blue..."Maintain the Rage"

I watched footy in the old days on black & White TV and at grounds with no lights, and everybody was happy their team wore the Trad Strip. Life is too easy for too many these days!!!

I'm with you WYL. I started going to the footy in the 50s (last century)and can remember some games where the grounds were so muddy, when teams such as Collingwood, North and Hawthorn played each other, it was sometimes impossible to tell Thorold Merritt, from John Kennedy..but you could.

For starters, one had white shorts and the other black shorts. But I do recall even then, it was not easy in the quagmire at Hawthorn, because of the rather black pitch in the middle of the ground. Then, you'd come home and have to see the last quarter(that's all we had back then)in black & white (and no colour TV).

But, we did.

I don't want to go back to those days, in the sense of the conditions the game was played under (and as I'm sure it still is, at the lower levels).

But, I also wnat to see the team of the Red & The Blue, play in the "Red & The Blue" - not White with a token gesture to the "red & The Blue", of our club song.

As I sadly don't see the boys live these days, being a lifelong Demon supporter, I try to never miss them when on TV. But, I want to see the team I love, The Team Of The Red and The Blue!!

Having said all that, it is good they still managed to win and dispel any notions of a white "voodoo hoodoo". But, then of course, would they have won "better" if they'd been wearing the Club Jumper ?? Go Dees!!!

Edited by BangkokDemon

I'm with you WYL. I started going to the footy in the 50s (last century)and can remember some games where the grounds were so muddy, when teams such as Collingwood, North and Hawthorn played each other, it was sometimes impossible to tell Thorold Merritt, from John Kennedy..but you could.

For starters, one had white shorts and the other black shorts. But I do recall even then, it was not easy in the quagmire at Hawthorn, because of the rather black pitch in the middle of the ground. Then, you'd come home and have to see the last quarter(that's all we had back then)in black & white (and no colour TV).

But, we did.

I don't want to go back to those days, in the sense of the conditions the game was played under (and as I'm sure it still is, at the lower levels).

Your post has me thinking - In 50 years from now will we regard not having clash jumpers as much as an unfortunate relic as jumpers covered in mud. Maybe we will and the AFL is progressive and we are all too caught up in traditions.

Also on a separate note - Who was Thorold Merritt, and was Thorold a popular name back in the day?

Right now I'm happy that we've won twice in the white jumper this year. If we are going to wear it we may as well win in it.

Fine, but give it some thought. The decisions made weekly on the Clash Jumpers are ridiculous. And the AFL loves making a dollar. A Full stadium particularly interstate is going to spend up nice and big at the Ground after a win before they head home.

I do it, A win at the 'G and i head to the Bar in the MCC. A loss and its straight out the Gate and home.

I have been thinking this one through for a long time-because i honestly don't think the Clash scenario is real.

Others will, and that is their right.

A Happy winning Home Team will open the wallet. The losers go home quietly.....

Sure, a winning crowd will spend more, but to say that a white guernsey makes teams lose or surrender is just stupid. I agree that some clashes are not there - us vs Saints or Brisbane - but the whole surrender thing is too far

This post should be immortalised.

Sure, a winning crowd will spend more, but to say that a white guernsey makes teams lose or surrender is just stupid. I agree that some clashes are not there - us vs Saints or Brisbane - but the whole surrender thing is too far

It's not silly if you have ever studied Psychology or Marketing, It is a very clever Tactic actually.

You see the AFL never give an answer to it.-It's a directive sent secretly during the week.

Studies have been done in the EPL. Red is the most powerful colour, white is by far the least.

A team only has to be off half a % to get hammered these days-We the crowd often help the Boys win.

When i watch the white jumper its just not right NQR & i definately do not get as pumped.

I would love to talk to Vlad & Anderson on this one, Because as custodians of the game The Tradition of all the VFL sides is very important to me, and a lot of the Modern decisions are really putting them at risk.

Look at North having to wear that pale rubbish against Collingwood in their own home Game!!!! Tell me there is not Massive Psychology being thrown at North by the AFL (and Collingwood).

This issue is important to anyone who wants Melbourne to always be Melbourne-and it is we the Members who have to do it. Once that debt is cleared..Look out.

Edited by why you little

Your post has me thinking - In 50 years from now will we regard not having clash jumpers as much as an unfortunate relic as jumpers covered in mud. Maybe we will and the AFL is progressive and we are all too caught up in traditions.

Also on a separate note - Who was Thorold Merritt, and was Thorold a popular name back in the day?

Right now I'm happy that we've won twice in the white jumper this year. If we are going to wear it we may as well win in it.

Thorold Merritt was a Maggie.

Clash jumpers seem to have originated in Europe and in particular the Premier League.

Although, I think it would a reasonable guess to assume the concept was first used in US Grid Iron and most likely by American TV producers who rely of the KISS principle and the mass marketers...maybe someone on this formum knows the answer?

If you think we might be too caught up in tradition, I would say you've missed what Jim and all the club has been doing for the past couple of years.

For so long, the club administration only paid lip service to "tradition". This administration, by its actions is showing not only us long suffering supporters, but hopefully the AFL administrators, how to be "progressive" and at the same time hold on to what makes us different.

If not, then why are they launching the "Bring Back The Demon" campaign ?

And, in the same spirit, as daggy as it might be, "It's a Grand Old Flag" which ends with "Keep your eye on the red and the blue" is part of that same club culture.

It's not silly if you have ever studied Psychology or Marketing, It is a very clever Tactic actually.

You see the AFL never give an answer to it.-It's a directive sent secretly during the week.

Studies have been done in the EPL. Red is the most powerful colour, white is by far the least.

A team only has to be off half a % to get hammered these days-We the crowd often help the Boys win.

When i watch the white jumper its just not right NQR & i definately do not get as pumped.

I would love to talk to Vlad & Anderson on this one, Because as custodians of the game The Tradition of all the VFL sides is very important to me, and a lot of the Modern decisions are really putting them at risk.

Look at North having to wear that pale rubbish against Collingwood in their own home Game!!!! Tell me there is not Massive Psychology being thrown at North by the AFL (and Collingwood).

This issue is important to anyone who wants Melbourne to always be Melbourne-and it is we the Members who have to do it. Once that debt is cleared..Look out.

Good points again WYL.

Many years ago I had a boss who taught me the expression "traffic lights".

I had been in charge of design for some point of sale materials, and committed the cardinal sin of using muted brown and white.

The campaign failed.

Then, we re-worked it, changing all the POS colours to RED, GREEN and YELLOW - with RED being the standout - he was right..I kept my job!

White is the colour of "peace" and "surrender".

We are the team of the RED & The BLUE...

I hope it is 45, maybe you should do some reading on the subject of colours and marketing. It's Big Business i assure you.

The Coca Cola label is Red for a reason, as is McDonalds (Yellow on a Red Background can be seen from a long way). Red is number one in the chain.

That's just 2 examples, there's a heap more.

Why do the Sydney Swans always wear the Same Uniform weekly??? There is another Clash Flaw that seems to escape scrutiny. Did the Swannettes wear white shorts last week?? Bet they didn't.

The AFL want Sydney to look strong, make no mistake-The Market up there is to good.

I'm still trying to read how one can throw "Massive Psychology at someone."

I see you guys obviously feel strongly, but it's the same old tired arguments that come up most weeks and don't go anywhere.

Write to the club, or the AFL, because the Demonland clash guernsey debate is going no where.

Good points again WYL.

Many years ago I had a boss who taught me the expression "traffic lights".

I had been in charge of design for some point of sale materials, and committed the cardinal sin of using muted brown and white.

The campaign failed.

Then, we re-worked it, changing all the POS colours to RED, GREEN and YELLOW - with RED being the standout - he was right..I kept my job!

White is the colour of "peace" and "surrender".

We are the team of the RED & The BLUE...

HaHa Muted Brown and white!!!! How 70's, not suprised it failed.

Red is it, and we must utilize it in our jumper as a standard, I understand the AFL are standing over us right now-But we as a club are not always going to be drip fed.

Look at Geelong from 10 years ago. Now the AFL don't touch them-they just roll.

To all the people on here that believe the Clash Jumper is a done deal-Nothing is set in stone, it all comes down to supply and demand.

When the Adelaide Crows started in 1991 did anybody say "Gee that jumper looks so much like the MFC Jumper"?

No, they didn't because it doesn't. But Today the AFL tells us it does.

I mean even Carlton and Collingwood have tweaked their jumpers in certain games-I mean C'mon Those teams know the difference.

I'm still trying to read how one can throw "Massive Psychology at someone."

I see you guys obviously feel strongly, but it's the same old tired arguments that come up most weeks and don't go anywhere.

Write to the club, or the AFL, because the Demonland clash guernsey debate is going no where.

"Massive Psychology" gets thrown at you every day 45 via any media outlet, and the fact you ask that question means that the Media outlet is so far winning the fight.

The Club read this site, as do a heap of people. So i shall continue to discuss it, because its a very important element in our resurgence. If other clubs Kowtow to the directive, that's their own problem.

But as a club that has existed since 1858 i do not think anybody but the members has the right to force us to wear any colour except Red & Blue.

Its up there with the worst of them 45....Absolute garbage.

"Massive Psychology" gets thrown at you every day 45 via any media outlet, and the fact you ask that question means that the Media outlet is so far winning the fight.

Why do you remind me of Dennis Hopper, the photographer out of Apocalypse Now. The similarity is just scary... :wacko:

I wonder if white being 'the colour of surrender' is to do with the inherent weak qualities of the non-colour or the fact that in ancient times before CNN - one's garments, invariably white, were hoisted up to communicate the desire to thrown down one's arms to avoid an impending slaughter.

Still that doesn't take anything away from the absolute truth that two colours define us to the extent that the make fans conspiratorily crazy. I love the red and the blue, but don't question my commitment because I am tolerating an extra - benign - colour in our away strip.

Edited by rpfc

Its up there with the worst of them 45....Absolute garbage.

Why do you remind me of Dennis Hopper, the photographer out of Apocalypse Now. The similarity is just scary... :wacko:

Do some reading RR. The Facts are all there. The next Broadcasting rights are not Being sold for around $1 Billion for nothing. All parties want the maximum return, and that includes the grounds on match day.

I wonder if white being 'the colour of surrender' is to do with the inherent weak qualities of the non-colour or he fact that in ancient times before CNN - one's garments, invariably white, were hoisted up to communicate the desire to thrown down one's arms to avoid an impending slaughter.

It's the combination of both actually-and the Nuetrality of the colour. White is passive. Red is Blood and Fire if you want to get real simple. Red makes the heart rate increase, even slightly.

With white it slows down.