CROUCHING TIGERS, HIDDEN DEMONS

Demonland

Surprised to see Jurrah in the starting 18 after his performance last week. This is a big vote of confidence for him, and he'll want to deliver. You'd also have to call it a big vote of confidence for Bail and Bennel, and well done to them.

Aussies tackling and forwardline pressure will be important against the Toigs rebounding defence and I'll be surprised if we drop him. They never drop Bruce, and he deserves to play on current form anyway. Trengove surely has to play. I get the feeling Jones will win out over Morton, as he's been busy and reliable lately, but I think I'd prefer Morton. Miller and PJ are superfluous to our needs.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sylvia will get tagged by the whole Tigers list. And when he's off the ground they'll go to Davey.

Which means Scully and Trengove will get the room they enjoyed earlier this year when the midfield was all healthy.

Also...

What if DB has decided PJ is to play the last 4 rounds regardless? Then who comes out? I hadn't considered that, and it's a distinct possibility.

Poor Maric... no recall at all. Instead they go for the past in Brad Miller. Shameful.

- PJ has to go out... but if Dunn is injured, we really will not have any kind of backup/second ruckman which should see PJ retain his spot (plus take over as a big forward in place of Dunn).

- Bailey has already stated he wants Sylvia, Jurrah, Wonnaeamirri and Watts to keep playing together up forward so expect Aussie to stay in and continue his great forward pressure.

IN: Trengove, Moloney

OUT: Bail, Dunn (inj.?)

Trust me, we have speed! You forget that Bail and Bartram will be working up to the halfway line and they are both quite quick. Bennell works up through the midfield too and Sylvia isnt too slow either. So thats Trengove, Scully, Bennell, Bail, Bartram, Davey, Sylvia with pace... Morton should be dropped to get some confidence back.

If it was up to me:

Emergency: Miller, Morton, PJ

I would be a happy man if it were up to you.

Agree with the emergencies.

Bate and Warnock have very stiff to not even get a look in.

I'm seriously surprised that both aren't entrenched in our starting 18.

Both haven't been up to scratch and I am glad Bate is getting a run in the twos.

No more excuses about his injury. He needs to play well, consistently.

Bartram fast
Daveytrain1.. I suggest you read Brad Green's article in thursday Age. Speaking of Geelong's speed of ball movement. Requires quick minds. Bartram can run,but has a poor mind. Miller was another one who got the ball and waited, never quite knew what to do with it. Bartram kicks 50% of his possessions backwards because he neither has the skills or quickness of mind. Hard at it and can tackle well. But that is about it. Bail is showing he has it all.Exciting prospect.

Both [bate and Warnock] haven't been up to scratch and I am glad Bate is getting a run in the twos.

Mate... Warnock has been destroying it in the Casey Seniors!!!

It just shows how hard it is to get into the Melbourne team at present...

Mate... Warnock has been destroying it in the Casey Seniors!!!

It just shows how hard it is to get into the Melbourne team at present...

I'm not sure Warnock has been "destroying" it. I saw last week's game at Box Hill, and I thought he was solid - nothing more.

Miller being included is a joke. He was nothing short of garbage last week for Casey. Kicked two goals from 10 metres out (OK, one from a tight angle) and did NOT work nearly hard enough. Bate worked far harder, and was much more deserving of a re-call. A real kick in the guts for Bater. If I were him, I'd be feeling very annoyed.

Not happy with it all.

Bench to be Bruce, Jones, Trengove and one of Johnson or Wona.

Therefore:

In: Moloney, Trengove

Out: Morton, Johnson / Wona

Morton stiff, didn't play badly last week.

Not sure where the other thread went but I'm pretty worried about the Jamar being injured rumours.

That would destroy us!!! Martin and Spencer are both injured; Dunn is perhaps injured; Newton is a no-no. So we are left with PJ and Miller :/. Wow... look out Richmond. Luckily they only have Graham and perhaps Vickery if he gets a recall.

I'll say 2 things that I'm not too keen on, but I think are worth bringing up:

1) Miller. -- farewell match..?

2) Bate. -- end-of-season trade bait?

(I'm a big fan of Bate and I think he is still a very much required player at MFC...

But I also think he'd be quite valuable on the trade table.)

I'm not sure Warnock has been "destroying" it. I saw last week's game at Box Hill, and I thought he was solid - nothing more.

Gotch thought he killed it. Take from that what you will.

I'm not so certain PJ will go out anymore. Someone above suggested Jamar will be given the week off, but that aside, Vickery is in the 25. He's not that good just yet, but that would be 2 ruckmen, which might give DB a moment's pause.

(I'm a big fan of Bate and I think he is still a very much required player at MFC...

Never gave that one a thought. What do you think he'd be worth?

I feel for Maric, Miller coming in ahead of him would be heartbreaking.

May I also suggest that the reason Miller is on the extended bench is in case Dunn doesn't get up for the game...??? Rather than to replace Jamar.

I think the big Russian will play. You CANNOT just rest our only ruckman!! PJ by himself just will not cut it.

At this late stage of the season, and with finals on the line, you can't just rest the best!

They have very stiff what?

Seriously, no, they're not.

And no, I'm not. Surprised, that is. Oh wait... yes, in a sense I am surprised that others have gone past them, but pleasantly so.

OK, maybe Warnock is 'stiff' any week, but that's the result of having a pretty decent defence. The rest of the defence has an edge in pace over him, but his turn will come when there's an injury, or loss of form by Rivers or maybe Garland.

Bate? No, he's not stiff. And that word best describes his movements around the ball. He is one-paced and has a huge turning circle; the forward line looks better without him. I wonder seriously about his place in the team, especially with the improvement in Dunn. Dunny is now ahead of him, well and truly. Never thought it would happen, but it did. I suppose that in a sense Bate is unlucky in that others have supplanted him who are pacier and more dangerous. Bater has put on a lot of muscle in the last year or two, but lost a bit in leg speed, if you ask me.

I have to agree

Bruce will play. Trengove will play.

So that means we have to pick 2 of Wonaeamirri, Jones, Morton, Johnson and Miller.

Can't see Jones being dropped on the back of last week's performance, even though he is a direct swap for the ins of Moloney and Trengove.

Johnson didn't play horrendously last week, and if he doesn't play we'll only have one ruck, but we might only need the one ruck against Richmond. There's certainly no way both PJ and Miller will play, but I doubt either will make it.

Morton's game last week was neither terrible nor anything to write home about. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes way.

So I'm guessing it will be In: Moloney, Trengove and Out: Morton, PJ.

Don't be surprised if Moloney is a late withdrawal, with Morton or PJ or whoever is dropped getting a reprieve.

Danger Danger Danger. Look at centre line (not that they necessarily play there) Moloney, McDonald, McKenzie, plus Jones. How slow can you go. Tigers will kill us for speed. As it is often said the midfield is the new goal to goal line. The goal to goal line needs reasonable height, but the midfield needs speed, will Trengove,Scully, Bruce add enough. Flash will be working overtime. IMO Morton is a must to counter balance a body heavy midfield.

Did the side look slow against the Swans?

Danger Danger Danger. Look at centre line (not that they necessarily play there) Moloney, McDonald, McKenzie, plus Jones. How slow can you go. Tigers will kill us for speed. As it is often said the midfield is the new goal to goal line. The goal to goal line needs reasonable height, but the midfield needs speed, will Trengove,Scully, Bruce add enough. Flash will be working overtime. IMO Morton is a must to counter balance a body heavy midfield.

However the line up is named doesn't necessarily always start like that on game day.

I'm not so certain PJ will go out anymore. Someone above suggested Jamar will be given the week off, but that aside, Vickery is in the 25. He's not that good just yet, but that would be 2 ruckmen, which might give DB a moment's pause.

Got to agree with this ... can't believe how many just happily list PJ as an out

Unfortunately we do need a ruck option - Jamar is a better player when he can take a spell up forward - and PJ has been a contibutor over the past two weeks.

I really don't know who'll be dropped. May be someone is sore ( Dunn?). At this stage, I'd probably say Morton ( to work on his defensive skills) and Wona ( because he is struggling to put together 4 quarters).

Leave it to the FD .... but I'd be surprised if PJ is not in the 22

Apparently (I didn't hear it) Mark Fine said Bate is GC bound - already signed.

Not sure I believe but there you go.....

B: Colin Garland, Jared Rivers, Clint Bartram

HB: Rohan Bail, James Frawley, Joel Macdonald

C: Brent Moloney, James McDonald, Jordie McKenzie

HF: Liam Jurrah, Jack Watts, Tom Scully

F: Jamie Bennell, Lynden Dunn, Brad Green

FOLL: Mark Jamar, Colin Sylvia, Aaron Davey

I/C: Cameron Bruce, Austin Wonaeamirri, Jack Trengove, Paul Johnson,

Emg: Nathan Jones, Brad Miller, Cale Morton

In: Moloney, Trengove

Out: Jones, Morton