Could Rivers Play up Forward?

The Insulter

With our backline coming together nicely I wonder whether Rivers could play forward? I like him as a player, great hands, but seems to be a little slow to be the damaging rebounding player that we need off the flank? Although he is great loose in defense or 3rd man up could he be a target in the forward line or even a lead a centre half forward?

With our backline coming together nicely I wonder whether Rivers could play forward? I like him as a player, great hands, but seems to be a little slow to be the damaging rebounding player that we need off the flank? Although he is great loose in defense or 3rd man up could he be a target in the forward line or even a lead a centre half forward?

Rivers' great strength has always been his ability to read the play. That's why we always see him appearing out of nowhere to take a mark, he would be a hard player to tag. I agree with you. As our backline develops, we can free him up for the forward line where he could do some serious damage

Nope.. hasnt the leg sped to out run on a lead etc. This has been tried at VFL level with none to exciting results. Reading the play and geting to it are 2 dif things unfortunately.

Guest Redleg_24

Getting in quickly with long kicks from Moloney and Jones would create uncertainty. While the backman watches JR, rivers eyes never leave the football and his superior aerial judgement leads to marks inside fifty. I agree that he would be no good on the lead, but one out or floating across the pack could be his go! It is certainly worth giving him the opportunity.

Getting in quickly with long kicks from Moloney and Jones would create uncertainty. While the backman watches JR, rivers eyes never leave the football and his superior aerial judgement leads to marks inside fifty. I agree that he would be no good on the lead, but one out or floating across the pack could be his go! It is certainly worth giving him the opportunity.

I'll say it again. Can we just play our players in their best position, where they play their best footy, which allows them to play to their strengths.

Rivers should not play forward, Martin should not be forward, Strauss should not play deep in defence, Dunn should not play in the midfield as a tagger, Miller should not play in defence.

I'll say it again. Can we just play our players in their best position, where they play their best footy, which allows them to play to their strengths.

Rivers should not play forward, Martin should not be forward, Strauss should not play deep in defence, Dunn should not play in the midfield as a tagger, Miller should not play in defence.

I can't recall Rivers ever going forward in an AFL game. How do we know then for a fact he can't play forward if he has never been tried there?

I agree he'd be a dangerous floating player up forward. Furthermore, was in top 5 for tackles for dees last year, so good forward pressure.

Could never say he isn't hard at the ball.

He kicked 2 in QB game 2006 - 4 for the season, not overly shabby for a backman.

I can't recall Rivers ever going forward in an AFL game. How do we know then for a fact he can't play forward if he has never been tried there?

I've seen him pinch hit on swingman basis some years ago. But only for short periods. Nothing startling

The limitations that plagued him up back will be accentuated up forward....lack of pace, poor one on one.

And beaides, Garland is the one to go forward because he played there in his youth. :rolleyes:

Red.. i can recall a couple of games some years back ..probably 08 ( I think where they had him in the forward 50 for the Zebbies. Talk about a fish out of water !!. Hes a defender, pure and simple. whilst hes recapturing a semblance of a game he had 5 years ago the game itself has gone past that marker. So in many ways ol' Jared is playing catch up footy to the double. Its just not panning out as he or many would want. Thats called reality :(

For mine I think he would be very good up forward.

Jared's forte is reading the ball. he has the ability still ( sometimes ) to get his body close enough to his opponent to efect a spill or boundary line throw in. He can also with some skill float across and take a mark. Hes actually not a bad kick but not a big one. Otherwise hed be taking more kick ins. He hasnt the speed to get him self free from a tagging back. If his run is thwarted he wont get to see it ( the pil ) in order to mark it. Hes not our best at ground level so crumbing up front wont be his bag.

He has some credentials as a defender...and none as a forward. There are about quite a few others youd put in the arc ahead of Riv..in fact..many !!

It is my believe that Jared could play CHF at a pinch or shifted there during a match to lift us--however I think he is to slow to hold a key positional forward role on a regular basis.

In answering the OP we need to answer a prior criteria. Are we simply looking for somewhere on the field for Jared to continue I.e. For his benefit or do we want the best forwards for our (Demons) benefit ? I want the best team and if that is sans J Rivers then so be it.

Edited by belzebub59

In answering the OP we need to answer a prior criteria. Are we simply looking for somewhere on the field for Jared to continue I.e. For his benefit or do we want the best forwards for our (Demons) benefit ? I want the best team and if that is sans J Rivers then so be it.

I dont see Rivers in our best back 6 in 12 months. we have just resigned him so I am thinking maybe we try him up forward given that we dont have muhc working at the moment. No matter what Miller does at Casey he is not up to it. He should never play again. Newton is never going to make it, Jack is a couple of years away, fitzpatrick even further. We have a couple of small forwards so why not try him for a month? Play deep, put defensive pressure on and float around a pocket for when maloney or Jones get a fast break and pump it long. We only need him to kick 2 goals a game and lay a bunch of tackles... Food for thought. Bailey doenst seem to try anything new down there? I would get Brucey deep as well as Green.

The idea of Garland, Rivers, even Frawley at times up forward has been one of my favourite topics. But the unimaginative coaching staff has shown complete resistance to any such thought. I've lost confidence in them. I'd forget it and be patient waiting for the next coaching team to take us deep into the final eight.

Nobody thought Lake could play forward. The western bulldogs have gone beyond their wildest dreams and look at what they have achieved. Lake is firing and one of the best forwards for the bulldogs.

Could we do a lil experimenting as well, who knows Rivers may be a gun forward.

It is my believe that Jared could play CHF at a pinch or shifted there during a match to lift us--however I think he is to slow to hold a key positional forward role on a regular basis.

Rivers is NOT a centre half forward

You obviously look at Rivers though rose coloured glasses

IMO Rivers is borderline best 22 and as our youngsters develop will leave him behind unless he gets better with them

The club has signed him up for another 2 years which is fine as i would hope he could still be an asset to us in defence

IMO our defence is still 1 - 2 players short of being really good

Of all the backmen he would be the last to play as a forward.

I ask you this. Who does he replace in the forward line? Watts, Bate, Jurrah?

The other positions are for running players which you need.

I find myself (amazingly so) agreeing with Belzebub and jayceebee.

Rivers would be exposed horribly by opposition defences and posters would then be lambasting Bailey for a horrendous coaching move and calling for his immediate sacking.

Rivers at his best is great in the backline. Will he get back to his best? Time will tell.

Remember that with the return of Jurrah and Sylvia this week opposition coaches now have more headaches. Even if they don't get lots of it or boot a bag, coaches and opposition have to respect them for fear of being ripped apart. This in turn helps Watts, Bate, Green, Bennell and co. Yes we have struggled to kick goals this year but don't underestimate the fact that we had injuries to probably two blokes we could not afford too (Petterd and Jurrah) and the delivery forward has been atrocious at times.

I am looking forward to this week to see how we function with a few more marking targets now. I like the look of it and may i even say a forward line of

Sylvia, Watts, Bennell

Green, Bate, Jurrah

has me more than a little firm................

The idea of Garland, Rivers, even Frawley at times up forward has been one of my favourite topics. But the unimaginative coaching staff has shown complete resistance to any such thought. I've lost confidence in them. I'd forget it and be patient waiting for the next coaching team to take us deep into the final eight.

Spot on.

We've struggled all year in our key forward department and our coaches have not even tried the move of one of our abundant numbers of tall defenders up there. Not even for part of a quarter to see if it could work. Their conservative approach stands in stark contrast to Brad Scott and Damien Hardwick.

As for Rivers, I agree with his lack of pace being a problem but then I wonder how he would go now that Liam Jurrah's back in the side. And he did go forward on a few occassions in Daniher's last year or two with limited success.

Nope.. hasnt the leg sped to out run on a lead etc. This has been tried at VFL level with none to exciting results. Reading the play and geting to it are 2 dif things unfortunately.

Bate isn't the quickest either.