SNAIL'S PACE

Demonland

SNAIL'S PACE by Whispering Jack

The progress seems to be slowing down remarkably. We're moving at a snail's pace which is disappointing but at least the general thrust is forwards.

Several weeks ago on a humid night in Darwin, Melbourne equalled its 2009 quota of wins well before the half way mark of the season. On Queens Birthday, it added two premiership points with the tie against Collingwood and, even if participation in the finals was out of the question, we expected to see more signs of improvement as the season progressed. However, the team is stuttering along with a weak performance in Adelaide and a disappointing final quarter fade out against St. Kilda that left it 35 points in arrears at the end of the game.

The Etihad Stadium defeat against one of the premiership favourites wasn't a capitulation but the Saints were nowhere near their full strength. They were missing two key tall forwards and their best tagger but that didn't matter - they still managed to quell their nominated danger man in Aaron Davey, they nullified Brent Moloney, made mincemeat of the Melbourne forward line and managed to score the ton for the evening. It was a neat piece of work, executed in first gear, and came after disposing of the Cats a week earlier but some of their fans might have come away feeling it was a lacklustre effort given that it was nowhere near the painful thrashing inflicted on the Demons the last time they met at this ground two years ago.

For Melbourne's part, it had to be an improvement on last week when it crumbled against Adelaide at AAMI Stadium. The team started slowly and again conceded at least the first three goals of the game in what has become a characteristic feature of its performance. It seems as if it is somehow ordained in the stars that Demon fans must endure a weekly dose of mental torture in the first ten to fifteen minutes every time their team takes the field. As if the fumbling, the miskicks and poor decision-making weren't enough, the free kicks all went St. Kilda's way (at one stage 7-0) giving the home team that easy early break. When the early haze lifted, they suddenly started winning the clearances and contested possessions, tackling and applying pressure and eventually worked their way back to almost level terms by quarter time. A pleasing feature of this was the contribution of youngsters Jack Grimes and Jack Trengove who each gathered nine touches in the opening stanza.

The teams sparred, pushed and prodded and the Saints, with their superiority in class and experience threatened to get away on two or three occasions over the following two quarters and, to their credit, the Demons plugged away and fought hard to limit the deficit to 16 points at the final break and their task was magnified after half-time by the loss of Grimes.

Life was made even more difficult by the lack of a key marking forward. Jack Watts was brave and much better than last week but he roamed far and wide. Matthew Bate was covered and the club has decided not to push any of its key defensive assets into attack. Matthew Warnock was dropped to Casey. The lack of tall who could mark inside the fifty metre arc (perhaps a legacy of not recruiting for such a player three or four years ago?) was accentuated by the way the players insisted on pumping the ball into attack when St. Kilda pushed players behind the ball. We saw players kicking to a five on one or two and just knew that inevitably, the ball would come out without a score.

Just as we knew that the young team would slow down and fade at the end so that a 35 point defeat at Etihad Stadium wasn't all that bad in the circumstances. Brad Green worked hard with 26 touches and two goals and Brent Moloney and Jordie McKenzie helped make the midfield competitive but they weren't ever good enough to threaten a win.

Perhaps next week?

Melbourne 3.2.20 5.7.37 8.9.57 9.11.65

St Kilda 3.4.22 8.5.53 11.7.73 15.10.100

Goals

Melbourne Dunn 2 Green 2 Bennell Jetta Moloney Trengove Watts

St Kilda Milne 3 Hayes Montagna Schneider 2 Dal Santo Fisher Goddard Jones Stanley Steven

Best

Melbourne Green McKenzie Trengove Watts Moloney

St Kilda Montagna Goddard Gilbert Milne Jones Schneider

Injuries

Melbourne Grimes (hamstring)

St Kilda Nil

Reports

Melbourne Nil

St. Kilda Nil

Changes

Melbourne Nil

St Kilda Justin Koschitzke (ankle) replaced in selected side by Dawson

Umpires Kennedy Jeffries Keating

Crowd 31,993 at Etihad Stadium

Given our run home, with a number of interstate games we have shown no real chance of winning, and that Richmond are currently a better side than us, I think we should be odds on to lick the dirty wooden spoon for the third time in a row. This weeks game against the Bummers will determine it I suspect.

I really could not stomach another spoon. We have had to wear it enough over the past few years. If we can't avoid a spoon this year, we have really failed for 2010.

Rebuilding requires moving forward, we must at all costs move up the ladder (if only one spot)

Guest Redleg_24

Agreed.

3 wooden spoons isn't going to look great on Bailey's resume.

Win the wooden spoon and Bailey is a failure. we have been no better (wins wise) than our last 2 years. Which, were the worst 2 years in MFC history. IF, we finish last, it is bye bye bailey for me.

I cant stomach the redicule anymore

We either show something or move DB on and get someone who can deiver the gameplan, not jst 'develop' players

Win the wooden spoon and Bailey is a failure. we have been no better (wins wise) than our last 2 years. Which, were the worst 2 years in MFC history. IF, we finish last, it is bye bye bailey for me.

I cant stomach the redicule anymore

We either show something or move DB on and get someone who can deiver the gameplan, not jst 'develop' players

West Coast may just prevent us from winning another spoon, but regardless, this season is turning into a massive and concerning failure. Given our draw we may only end up with 1 or 2 wins more than last year at best, a year which we tanked to lose at least 2 games.

Im actually questioning whether Bailey can actually "develop" players like he says he can. Guys like Jamar and Frawley would probably have improved to these levels regardless of who is coaching. Not many of our younger players have shown significant development in the last 3 years. We have many promising draft picks from 2007/2008 (eg. Morton, Strauss, Maric, Wanna, Warnock) floundering in the reserves when they should be starting to show something in their second and third years.

Our skill level is actually deteriorating rather than improving. Its really questionable how much we have developed overall in the last 3 years. Other than increased potential talent on the list, the last 2 months have shown me that we really arent that far off where we were at at the beginning of Baileys Reign. Questions need to be asked.

I think it all comes down to this week. If we win, we won't get the spoon, if we don't, then I am putting money on it. Richmond is a team with confidence at the moment, they will pass us. You would think that West Coast, as bad as they are, will pick up a game or two at home in the run home.

With a draw that includes Essendon, Rich, Nth, Sydney at home. If we have shown any improvement this year then we should expect to get 2 wins out of this and finish at list with 6.5 win result.

Anything less is very disappointing. Bailey bangs on about the number of quarters we need to win. We are close to not bettering the result from last year.

Not wanting to be a panic merchant people and for the most part thought we had a decent crack yesterday but I am not sure that Bailey gets the group going enough. From the outside he seems to show a lot of patience and talks well with the players but not sure there is enough urgency in the message.

Yeah, Richmond are going better than us right now but really have only beaten the same teams we have, even yesterday with their win over Sydney we could compare the Brisbane game to, but it's the way they are going about it that is impressing me. They have a hunger that is more evident than ours and even when they were struggling they started games well and it was the class of other teams that pushed them aside, thats ok and to be expected.

Consistent hunger and pressure need to see.

Yeah, it's a real concern at the minute, i really don't know what our game plan is, i know people will say its playing through the corridor but you dont have to be a master coach to figure that out. we don't have a plan B, thats what worries me, and to be honest, that is poor coaching, DB bangs on about developing players, but who??? Chip? Grimes? Scully? and Trenners?, they are natural footballers, I could develop them! Look at Morton, he is 10 times worse than he was last year. Watts hasn't a clue where he's meant to play. you could see the frustration on the kids face yesterday when he had nobody to kick too in the last qtr. the players def have to take some responsibility too, no question, but in the end it rests with DB. i think he knows its gonna be squeaky bum time for him at seasons end if the improvement doesn't come, if we get the spoon he's gone i feel. When we're up we are great, when we're down we look like the worst team in the comp. Lets hope he sorts it out, i really pray for that. for me 8 wins is the target, and i cant see where they'll come from.

Edited by tarzan16

We won't win the spoon, West Coast will.

But that's not to say we won't get close.

On current form we're no better than 50-50 in the four matches that have been identified as 'winnable' (Essendon, Sydney, Richmond, North Melbourne). Win 2 of those and we'll be 6.5, which should be enough to finish above West Coast.

Bottom 4 is still likely, which would be disappointing I reckon, given we were 3-2.

West Coast may just prevent us from winning another spoon, but regardless, this season is turning into a massive and concerning failure. Given our draw we may only end up with 1 or 2 wins more than last year at best, a year which we tanked to lose at least 2 games.

I've said this a bunch of times on here and I'm sure it's sounding like a broken record, but Bailey said at the start of the year he expects 50% improvement on each year. 4 wins last year becomes 6 this year. 6 this year becomes 9 the year after. Then 9 becomes 13+. I remember at the time I wasn't THRILLED with that, but I thought it was acceptable. I think after the Brisbane game many expected a lot more. But we forget very quickly how far we have to go, and also how bad Brisbane turned out to be. 2-3 more wins, with a finishing win-loss of 6.5 or 7.5 wins, with a percentage around the 85 mark is about par I reckon, given that two of our most important players are 18!

Questions need to be asked.

We're not at round 21 and needing two wins to get off the bottom. 2-3 wins from 8 games is very gettable, especially given how we played yesterday and how our competition has been over the last month or two.

Hahahahaha short memories.

Pathetic.

Yup.

Anything less than two wins to get us to 6.5 will be a failure. Yes we could already be at this mark had we got over Pies in Rnd 2 and the dogs. Better efforts as we might have expected against the likes of Nth, Carl and especially West Coast (Oh how that game was a stinker!) and we would also be there.

So, the two close one's while good games, we didnt win them, we should have been able to at least capitalise on another couple.

I'm not saying it's altogether a nightmare and that we still shouldn't expect further improvement next year, but this year in isolation will be a fail if we don't win 2 coming home.

Is it maybe a good time to revisit posters win total predictions from the beginning of the season...

I think we're more than on track to meet those expectations, yet now our performances are 'unacceptable' and 'questions need to be asked.'

Absurd.

Absurd? Hardly!! I expected 6-8 wins.

As I suggested above if we can win 2 on the way home it would be a pass.

If we don't the season is a fail mark.

Hardly absurdity to expect that we should see improvement from last year and be able to get to 6-7 wins. Why are so many people quick to jump on others that expect to see some incremental improvement at the very least?

I certainly haven't deemed performances 'unacceptable' except for Adelaide and WCE. What I will say is that we have taken steps forward but are quickly giving back on those returns.

It's hardly negativity at its worst. More expectation and if we can get those 2 wins we around the mark.

If we don't, the season is a fail, nothing more nothing less. Plenty of individual highlights and encouragement, no doubt.

Wel'll get 4 more wins this year.......Bombers, Sydney, Tigers, North Melbourne.

We won't finish on the bottom of the ladder.

Fantastic confidence here.Good on ya

Ok, so

after 4&1/2 wins in half a season, not to mention 2 losses by a point, you don't think we could win 2 more games in the 2nd half?

If 6 would be a pass mark, your expectations were obviously quite low... so why the uproar over a bad loss?

The bad losses are getting less bad...

Ok, so

after 4&1/2 wins in half a season, not to mention 2 losses by a point, you don't think we could win 2 more games in the 2nd half?

If 6 would be a pass mark, your expectations were obviously quite low... so why the uproar over a bad loss?

The bad losses are getting less bad...

No uproar from me E. Probably went over the top last week. Too close to my PC when watching on telly and went way too hard!! Passion can do that!

I'm nervous that we wont get those 2 wins E and if we don't the season will be a failure. I repeat that it is not a reflection on what may happen in 2011 as I think many of our individual highlights (Trengove, Skull, Jordie, Watts continual improvements, Chip, Grimes etc) have been quite good and there are positives. But as an isolated season it would be a fail as a group. I'd be a little disappointed in the coaching dept if we can't conjure up the 2 wins.

Having said all that I reckon we can get them and finish off with some positivity and everything will look a little brighter again. It starts this week.....

Not targetting you DJ16, I just think your views are representative of the majority.

Especially those that now bleat about losses being insipid, unacceptable, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

Not targetting you DJ16, I just think your views are representative of the majority.

Especially those that now bleat about losses being insipid, unacceptable, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

All good E...realise you are not doing this nor am I at you.

Look, I took a lot out of yesterday. I was somewhat surprised we didn't actually run the game out better as it has been a bit of a strength at times this year with guys like Jamar etc out on their feet in some tight ones. Probably more to do with the toll taken playing St Kilda, can't stand their game style but credit to them they just wear better equipped sides than us down and even though it was hard to watch zero inside 50's for the majority of the last we all should remember that they kept Geelong scoreless for an entire qtr and to only 3 pts for an entire half.

I like that spin, who would've thought we could produce better than the cats? Well, we did on scoring alone anyway.

I am really positive about our chances next week. Also about some of the highlights from the young guys this year. Watts is going to make so so many people on Demonland look absolute fools within a year or two.

I am not sure that I would be scathing but I would be disappointed if we can't manage 6-7 wins for the year, wouldn't you?

Wel'll get 4 more wins this year.......Bombers, Sydney, Tigers, North Melbourne.

We won't finish on the bottom of the ladder.

we should have bet west coast, north melbourne and probably even adelaide?

i am not confident we can beat thoughs teams, not even richmond