Melbourne Squad vs Collingwood

titan_uranus

Are you suggesting this the kiss of death eth?

Certainly hope not!

No, one of my mates who listens to SEN pretty much 24/7 said that Bailey was interviewed - he said Watts will play

Sorry if I missed something, guys. But, does anyone know when Junior did his hammy? Don't recall anything during last week's game...???

Last week, he pulled up sore. Jones did his too, he's likely to be one of the three cut from the 25

Guys I think you have all missed something, Sylvia is in my opinion very doubtful.

He has been in hospital the best part of five days and would I believe have been on blood thiners.

The level he would have been taking would have been high and I believe ( My wife is in the medical indusrty )

it would take a few days for his blood to return to normal. From her comments I find it hard to believe

they would take the chance on playing Col with his blood in that state. If he still has thin blood

any serious knock could lead to a haemorrhage of a serious nature.

I do not think the medical staff would take any chance in that case.

As well his toe will take some time to get back to normal.

If he plays I will be very very surprised.

Its crazy i know. What hope are the coaching staff holding on to?! I could stomach Watts going out provided Miller was duely ommitted for his atrocious form, but if Watts goes and he stays i wont be pleased.

Mate, you cannot be saying Watts' form has been any better than Millers? Sure Miller's been pretty poor since his 5 goals but Watts' last couple of weeks have been atrocious. He was ok against WC and Port but then his next 2 weeks i'd be surprised if he'd had 10 touches combined. Miller had a great game against Port, an ok one against Geelong and then one shocker.

Don't get me wrong I want Watts to succeed as much as anyone but it just annoys me how he gets selection priority over anyone. His form does not warrant selection. Miller deserves another crack, he earnt it with his 5 goal game.

Reading over all these posts wanting Watts to be dropped i'm trying to figure out what some people expect of this team this year. Do we want to develop our young guys in the seniors or do we want to send them back to Casey every time they struggle. I think with Watts its better for his development if he keeps learning in the Seniors rather than at Casey, particularly given we wont be playing finals this year and we need to maintain some height in the forward line.

We've loaded up on backmen and midfielders in the last couple drafts so the forward line is probably the only area where players are under less pressure to perform. With injuries to many of our developing young key forwards like jurrah, tapscott, petterd, Watts is the only young developing forward that we actually can blood a bit more this year. Maric is a bit unlikely to not get another game yet, but there's obviously a reason for that.

I agree with some that jones and sylvia probably won't get up, and i'd actually prefer if they didn't.

Given that i think it's most likely that Johnson, Sylvia and Jones don't play with gysberts to join scully and trengove in the middle in Sylvia's place, with bennell,watts, morton and garland off the bench.

Great to see that in the year we're supposed to be developing our young players, we're putting our faith in Dunn & Miller, instead of Watts & Bennell, in our biggest match of the season.

Not.

Edited by Akum

I/C (from): Colin Garland, Cale Morton, Jordan Gysberts, Nathan Jones, Jack Watts, Paul Johnson, Jamie Bennell

Doubt they'll risk Jones, and PJ is like the least likely interchange selection of all time (unless Jamar is injured, in which case we are f$%^ked).

The final bench spot will come down to Garland and Bennell.

I think we need Garland down back, and again Rivers is one lucky bastard to retain his spot after some very very poor performances. On the other hand Bennell has been in decent form, but was disappointing last week. Toss of the coin for me on this one.

Edited by Jaded

I could stomach Watts going out provided Miller was duely ommitted for his atrocious form

Atrocius? Hardly. He's played 3 games (only) since he came back in. One of them he was one of the best and kicked 5 goals, the next he was OK (just) when the whole team was pretty cooked, and last week, nearly everyone was below par (and in the wet).

(unless Jamar is injured, in which case we are [censored]).

Good point, Jamar is certainly our most important individual player, right now.

without McDonald we will get spanked by 10 goals...the rest of the changes don't matter.

i think McDonald has been named in the best for us each week...he's played a 'captains' game each time...nobody can replace that for one game.he is our best player...

Edited by disco_demon

Dean Bailey on SEN saying Watts will play. Dammit

Seeing as Watts is part of our future i cannot see any sense in him not playing seniors

I am not a great believer in playing players of the class of Watts at casey for any other reason than gaining match fitness

He certainly wont learn anything there

Would not be surprised if Bailey gives him a run on the ball

The kid is obviously down on confidence and the best way i know to overcome it is to get his hands on the footy

Even Scully felt his way before having a blinder against the doggies

I'm very glad to see Watts play. If be happy to see him play the rest of the year - the biggest thing for him, IMO, is for him to feel comfortable on the big stage. When he does, we'll see his talent shine.

Out: James McDonald (hamstring)

Dammit!

I'm back in town for the round 14 and 15 and was expecting to see him play his 250th against Essendon in round 15. I guess that's out the door.

Can't believe people are defending Miller. He kicked 5 goals against Port but 4 of them were from about 10 mtrs out. He then kicked 1.4 against Geelong while not being able to hit the side of a barn. Then last week I think he went near the ball only 2 times and dropped the pill both times. Not too many players get worse in their prime (age 26) but Miller is one of them. Should not have been rewarded with a game this week but I guess you get lucky when your club doesn't have any forward line depth.

Hasn't anyone else considered that the reason our forwards aren't performing is because our ball movement into the forward 50 for the last two weeks has been pathetic. We've been smashed through the middle in our last two games and i can recall numerous entries into our forward 50 where our midfielders have just bombed it long to a 3 (opposition) on 1 (demon) contest and rarely has the kick been to our advantage.

We keep blaming our forwards, but even in our West Coast loss weeks ago Bailey pointed out that our entry into the forward 50 needs to improve. Not other position on the ground is more heavily influenced by good ball usage as the forward line. If a ball isn't weighted correctly it can make the difference between hitting our forward on the chest in space, and the defender having enough time to get a fist in.

We shouldn't be purely blaming our forwards for the poor scoring output. We need to look at the midfield to.

Hasn't anyone else considered that the reason our forwards aren't performing is because our ball movement into the forward 50 for the last two weeks has been pathetic. We've been smashed through the middle in our last two games and i can recall numerous entries into our forward 50 where our midfielders have just bombed it long to a 3 (opposition) on 1 (demon) contest and rarely has the kick been to our advantage.

We keep blaming our forwards, but even in our West Coast loss weeks ago Bailey pointed out that our entry into the forward 50 needs to improve. Not other position on the ground is more heavily influenced by good ball usage as the forward line. If a ball isn't weighted correctly it can make the difference between hitting our forward on the chest in space, and the defender having enough time to get a fist in.

We shouldn't be purely blaming our forwards for the poor scoring output. We need to look at the midfield to.

Yeah mate, a lot of us have considered that, we are just in the minority, lol. Thankfully, the coaching staff are with us.

Mate, you cannot be saying Watts' form has been any better than Millers? Sure Miller's been pretty poor since his 5 goals but Watts' last couple of weeks have been atrocious. He was ok against WC and Port but then his next 2 weeks i'd be surprised if he'd had 10 touches combined. Miller had a great game against Port, an ok one against Geelong and then one shocker.

Don't get me wrong I want Watts to succeed as much as anyone but it just annoys me how he gets selection priority over anyone. His form does not warrant selection. Miller deserves another crack, he earnt it with his 5 goal game.

I actually agree with you on most points. What i was syaing was that both Watts' and Miller's form has been equally poor the last 2 games but given Watts is the future and Miller is not, I would hope that either Watts would be given more opportunity to prove himself, or both of them would be banished for their poor performances.

One other thing is im not sure just how good Millers 5 goal game actually was? It was good, but not dominant. I thought we were all in agreeance that a player of his experience should be displaying that form on a regular basis, not just once in a season. He has now had 130 games to show consistency and hasnt been able to do it.

Guest Deefence

Bartram and Millar are extremely lucky to be in. I actually have to look away when Bartram is in possession

Even though he has the best effeciency in our backline (refer to Great Wall of Melb article in Hun last week)?

Even bloody David Parkin gave him a wrap last night, saying he was the one to watch, having had only four goals kicked on him in 10 games.... We need Bartram to negate Davis again, otherwise he would run wild....

Plenty of tother blokes to be complaining against rather than poor malaligned Barts...

Clint Bartram has done more than enough to hold down a spot as a small defender, as Parkin said 4 goals in 10 games is an amazing effort, i think people just call for him to be dropped because hes clint bartram and not one of our higher picks, barty should be very happy with his year so far.

Have to keep playing Watts. He needs to learn the speed of the game and what how others do it whilst he bulks up. Will be dangerous in a couple of years time. He should be given a defensive role to get dangerous on someone like maxwell who will try and zone off or harry obrien as he looks to run down the ground. if we can turn the ball over through the pressure of bennell, jetta, etc he might be able to float back and sneak a couple of goals.