Changes for QBD

For those once again recalling Bail. He's played about 3 quarters of football in 6 weeks. He missed about 3 weeks with nerve damage from a bad cork played a half then had the VFL bye then had his cheek broken in the first quarter last week.

He had some really promising games early in the year but hasn't had a clear run since due to very unlucky impact injuries. He is likely some way off a return to seniors.

It's unbelievable that some have Bruce out as well. Cops a fair bit of stick and some of it is justified but he is far from our worst and, let's face it, he won't be dropped.

True he won't be dropped but he's a senior player and 'isn't the worst player out there' isn't exactly a great criteria for a senior player. I can't have him in our backline but i do see a role in the forward line for Bruce.

Green and Bruce. Supposed Leaders helping us where we need it most. Rivers and Bruce is one too many in the defense. drop him or play him forward.

Once again i ask were is Bail, loved his first 2 games and than not really sighted or talked about since!

Had a quad injury which he got over. Injured again, back in 3 weeks, not a soft tissue injury. He can't wait to get back.

Edited by Redleg

IN: Frawley, McKenzie, Cheney, Dunn

OUT: Rivers, Jones/McDonald (inj), Bartram, Miller

Rivers needs a warning for a run of bad games.

We need McKenzie in the team - the pressure he generates is amazing.

Cheney should be rewarded for over a month of being in the best at Casey.

Miller's not AFL standard. Even if he got superpowers and was able to fly, he still wouldn't be in my best 22.

Dunn to be dropped the week after unless he kicks 3 goals at least, 2 and he should be considered.

WE REALLY NEED PETTERD.

Best Post ive ever read on this site hands down. Couldnt have said it better.

out: Miller, Watts, bennell/Jetta, Jones (inj), Mcdonald(inj)

in: Dunn, McKenzie, Strauss, Wanna/Maric, Frawley

Miller and Watts (unfortunately) just cant play this week going by last fortnights efforts so we may have to go small in the fwd line with Dunn playing deeper as well. Strauss and Wanna have only been serviceable i know, but we cant keep playing guys in the seniors who have 0 impact week in week out.

Watts, Bennell and Jetta are the future, they are going to be inconsistent, but we will be better off in 2011, with them playing as many games as they can. However if they completely lose form over a month then a rest will warrant. But for the time being they have showed enough over the last month to continue.

Im sure Jack will bounce back on Mond against the Pies, point to prove.

You clearly have no idea how the club works, because if you had seen Brad Miller around the supporters, kids and sponsors, you would retreat back up your rectum. He has more heart than almost anyone in the AFL.

He has no heart where it matters, on the footy field. He's respected around the club and was pivotal in building the school for Trisha Broadbridge, which is great, but he has the heart of a grape seed where it matters to me.

The main "change" I want to see is for the club to show up in the first quarter and have a fair dinkum crack. Frawley and McKenie would be nice but it won't mean anything if we just run around like headless chooks and allow the Pies to kick 7-8 goals in the first quarter to essentially finish off the game.

If I had one wish, for now, I'd just want to see our side in the game at quarter time on QB'day. In other words I want our teams preparation for this coming game second-to-none ! Every aspect of the game must be dealt with, match-ups, weather forecast, what boots to wear (take note: Watts)!

I want our assistant coaches to lose sleep this week. Every sleeping and waking hour thinking of this game.

CHANGES:

IN: Frawley, McKenzie, Dunn to come in.

OUT: Jones (inj), Miller.

Wait and see what happens with Garland.

I think Watts should play on QB. I know he hasn't done much against Geelong & Carlton, but it is a big game and this is one game I would want to play him in. Needs to keep his feet more, electing for the moulded was a poor choice for Saturday and must have contributed in him going to ground a bit. This was mentioned on the airwaves.

He has no heart where it matters, on the footy field. He's respected around the club and was pivotal in building the school for Trisha Broadbridge, which is great, but he has the heart of a grape seed where it matters to me.

Crap. If you follow what everyone seems to be saying, the guy has no ability apparently. How do you play 130 games with no ability? Heart. Also, do you think a guy with no heart would be in the leadership group? What does that say about the others at the club who voted him in?

What kind of weird, misguided definition of 'heart' are you people working with??

Not being a clean user of the ball and not clunking every contested mark that comes his way has nothing to do with heart. It is freely conceded by all and sundry that he is of limited ability, but that guy goes hard at every contest all day long. He comes off the line and tries to physically impact upon the contest after centre bounces and this year he even throws himself into rucking contests against pure ruckmen. He never, ever stops trying.

Brad Miller gives everything he has both on and off the field and it is complete and utter rubbish to trash him for 'having no heart'.

I didn't think I'd say it either but tell me who the other mid to come in is if Jones and Junior are out?

Bell is not a midfielder. If he plays it is as a defender. In which case Cheney or Strauss get in over him.

I could understand Strauss or Cheney but only if Grimes goes to the middle. It is alot to expose too many kids through the middle at once against a mature midfield like Collingwoods.

Well then put Grimes in the middle. Or maybe we should give Strauss a run in the guts. I reckon with his disposal he might be just as good as wingman than as a back pocket/half back flanker.

Either way Bell is a long way down the list.

I'd be happy to argue this one with you Hannabal, as I totally disagree that Miller has no heart. But arguing with you is a lot like banging your head up against a brick wall. Not that you're stupid, far from it, just that you're very stubborn.

What kind of weird, misguided definition of 'heart' are you people working with??

but that guy goes hard at every contest all day long. He comes off the line and tries to physically impact upon the contest after centre bounces and this year he even throws himself into rucking contests against pure ruckmen. He never, ever stops trying.

I don't agree at all. He's insipid at the contest. I can forgive his lack of skill, just not his application. You and I watch a different footballer.

Both Rivers and Grland were ineffective but Garland is required to match up on the Pies midsized forwards.

McKenzie and Bell if it is Jones and Junior gone.

Why do people think you cant develop a player at Casey. Watts needs to learn to play agaianst matured bodies in a key forward role. I dont see why that is not possible in the VFL.

I did not need the weekend to be convinced on Miller.

Podsiadly and Barlow developed in the VFL. Watts seems a bit overawed and lacking confidence at the moment.

Cheney is the best contested mark in the team, if we can't find a spot for him down back why not try him at FF or in a pocket. I was at Casey last Saturday and he seems to read the play a lot better others in the team. I've been to 4 Casey games this year and he is consistently in the best players. Also, when Bail is fit he should be an automatic selection because we seem to play better with his run.

Brad Green has been interviewed on 2 occasions after the Roos game and West Coast game. On both occassions he said the team did not turn up to play. What he really meant to say was that SOME players didn't turn up to play. If we can identify the serial offenders they should be dropped immediatly to make way for some of the consistent performers at Casey. I'm sick and tired of taking my kids to see the Dees when the game is as good as over by qtr time.

Looks like Sylvia may miss as well.

Out:Jones, Junior, Sylvia, Watts

In: McKenzie, Dunn, Frawley, Bell

Bruce to go forward.

Bell to play a defensive midfield role as he has at Casey, as a last chance to save his career.

Maybe he can do an Andrew Welsh and resurrect his career in that role.

Miller on his last chance.

Rivers not far behind.

I think we should get off Millers case,,, he's a support act,,, NOT the Main Act. He'll be a lot better playing 2nd or 3rd string.

Until we get a pack splitting forward who can mark over head, IMO miller will be needed.

Watts will START TO show a little bit next year at AFL level,,, especially with Jurrah sharing the forward space & defenders..... This then brings players like Miller into proceedings & that will create openings for our small forwards & hard running midfielders to score as the opposition is preoccupied with our tall attack. As long as Miller remains composed next year when he's kicking to score, I think he'll be OK.

Dunns handy, but predominantly as a run with, except in conditions like yesterday.

The trick will be to get our Rucks to Go well when forward, this would be the Icing on our cake. (Jamar/Spencer/Martin/Fitzpatrick///Gawn?)

PS: I reckon next year we'll try to acquire a strong tall forward through the trade or Nat Draft route. That should round out our forward list places,,, except maybe for a dynamic small forward type, if there's one available.

A tall forward-I have been saying this for 5 months.Need a player like Dawes at Collingwood.

Pretty inept performance by our boys looking for them to turn up

play risk taking, hard tackeling footy. Can't afford to get blown out of the water

like that anymore we need to be in the contest not playing catch up.

So depending on injuries.

Ins: Dunn (played up forward), Mackenzie (for Junior if injured), Macdonald, Frawley

Outs: Miller(omit), Sylvia (inj won't be risked), Jones (inj), Junior (inj)

I don't agree at all. He's insipid at the contest. I can forgive his lack of skill, just not his application. You and I watch a different footballer.

Not that there's any point arguing with you, but if he has no skills AND no application/heart, can you then explain how it is that he has played 130 games and been voted a leader by his peers?

MELBOURNE

B: Bruce, Rivers, Garland

HB: Grimes, Frawley, Morton

C: Trengove, Gysberts, Scully

HF: Green, Bate, Sylvia

F: Bennell, Miller, Dunn

FOLL: Jamar, Moloney, Jones

I/C: Davey, McKenzie, Jetta, Bartram, Cheney, Strauss

no warnock?

forward looks ok for once

bigger bodies and is kinda tallish .

would be good when we have jetta, wonna and bennell running around waiting for the ball to hit the ground and pick it up!!

Pretty inept performance by our boys looking for them to turn up

play risk taking, hard tackeling footy. Can't afford to get blown out of the water

like that anymore we need to be in the contest not playing catch up.

So depending on injuries.

Ins: Dunn (played up forward), Mackenzie (for Junior if injured), Macdonald, Frawley

Outs: Miller(omit), Sylvia (inj won't be risked), Jones (inj), Junior (inj)

I'd take a risk, drop miller but continue to play Watts for this weekend.

Sylvia and Jones will be out. Junior will most likely be out too.

Maric, Strauss, McKenzie MacDonald and Frawely

From Nathan Jones' Twitter:

"Result of my scan says, see how I go with the hammy play it day by day really, fingers crossed rehab it with Physio, feels pretty good."

It's probably a bit premature to do in's and out's at the moment.

Jones, McDonald and Sylvia all have question marks over them.

However... Frawley, Dunn, McKenzie and Cheney are welcome inclusions.

Not that there's any point arguing with you, but if he has no skills AND no application/heart, can you then explain how it is that he has played 130 games and been voted a leader by his peers?

Sure, happy to help out.

He started as a young backman and showed a bit when we had a dearth of tall backs coming through. He and Ferguson were blooded at a similar time. In his third year (2004) they switched him forward where he played arguably his best year as a hard leading centre half forward. Our kicking style under Daniher suited him down to the ground, we were a better team and mass flooding hadn't quite hit the AFL. As zones came in, flooding became rampant and we deteriorated as a footy side Miller started to lose his mojo and we started to lose the ability to kick through zones. Miller has no tricks, is poor on the deck and isn't great one-on-one, so the evolution of the game wasn't to his advantage. He found himself back and forward without making either end of the ground his own.

He's always been a leader and well respected off the field, so it's no surprise that he's been in the leadership group and in many ways he's been at the right club at the right time. The club lost its key forward in Neitz and he's had no pressure from the likes of Newton, so it's not hard to see why he's retained his spot on the list and added to his games tally. The club also wanted him to be the bigger body around Watts while the latter developed. Henry Playfair is in his 7th year of AFL footy. While key forwards are hard to unearth average players will remain on lists.

I watch him closely and he's not hard at it. He doesn't bust open packs in marking contests, or pave the way for mids. You only had hark back to the G last year to see how a young Joel Selwood was prepared to risk life and limb running with the flight of the ball unaware what was coming the other way, whilst the much larger Miller running towards the ball wasn't. Selwood took the mark while Miller avoided body contact.

Miller has played 131 more games of AFL footy than me. He has limited ability, but he has ability. Any "heart" he may have had earlier in his career has eroded. He's not hard at the contest and has become a list clogger. Those lauding his heart and apettite for the contest are delusional, or just don't watch footy closely.

• Like 1

no warnock?

forward looks ok for once

bigger bodies and is kinda tallish .

would be good when we have jetta, wonna and bennell running around waiting for the ball to hit the ground and pick it up!!

NO, not this time, as I've tried to keep enough run & mobility from the defence. This is not meant as a slight against Warnock, just that the selectors seem to be experimenting with team balance, so I thought I'd follow the same theme.

If this year is about blooding kids as much as possible, when ever we can afford to, that means chopping around the selected arrangements to see what can work, why, etc.

It's important to give Riv' every chance to show he can do it, even if it takes him a little while to run up some form & confidence.

The Dees will have to make some awkward decisions later this year, so having all the information will be crucial to getting it right.

I think against the power teams, we have to play physically stronger players in our lineup, until the kids get more size & experience.