• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Petterd on the Gold Coast at the weekend

Guest DeesPower

Guest DeesPower

Points 1 to 10 include a lot of spin that would make a PR consultant blush and the achievements are still WIP in most cases.

But I acknowledge alot of good things are being down. However to turn the good ship MFC around will take alot more of the good stuff thats been done to date ...and hopefully less of the spin that fluffs it.

Now dont look directly into the camera lights!!!

Which "officials"?

Funny, didn't think we were in Russia.....

And not getting sucked in by the media spin played by player managers to heat up the contract negotiations for their client.

Well Rhino, maybe i don't share your cynicism about professional management. The powers that be in this town look for professionalism in enterprise,and people who can demonstrate that they know how to run businesses, no matter what their flavour.

Nowdays, the MFC is a very professionally run business, and give a great deal of confidence to those who control the money and power (as well as sponsors,governments,venue managers,and yes even players and their parents).

For me, i'd much prefer a professional environment than the amateur hour that used to run this football club.

Perhaps you would prefer the "worthy amateur". For me, I'd rather win, and these days you can't win without being a very very well run business.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Rhino, maybe i don't share your cynicism about professional management. The powers that be in this town look for professionalism in enterprise,and people who can demonstrate that they know how to run businesses, no matter what their flavour.

Nowdays, the MFC is a very professionally run business, and give a great deal of confidence to those who control the money and power (as well as sponsors,governments,venue managers,and yes even players and their parents).

For me, i'd much prefer a professional environment than the amateur hour that used to run this football club.

Perhaps you would prefer the "worthy amateur". For me, I'd rather win, and these days you can't win without being a very very well run business.

You should be a little cynical and I am glad to see you know "the powers that be in this town". Ra Ra.

You're an easy win for any piece of spin. B)

I just believe in credit where credit is due. Reward actual performance not spin and investigate and deal with underperformance when it does occur.

Lets judge all this on the actual results on and off the field shall we?

I assure you I will sing their praises when they achieve and be critical when they dont. Regardless of who is in power.

Funny, didn't think we were in Russia.....

How unlike you to not actually address the original notion...how glib.

its not unusual for AFL clubs to expect injured and otherwise to still attend games as part of the "team" effort etc. So whilst despite ol Artic park not quite being the steppes I dont allude to Russian tendencies. It does seem to me strange that he allowed to galavant to to wherever.

Good form Rhino...for you

Edited by belzebub59

He went back "home" for the weekend to see his family.

Other players have done it. Not unusual.

Should we slap him in irons to stop him galavanting? The cad. B)

They should also be banned from having discrete coffees in Melbourne with other Club officials to. MFC need to get onto that one. :rolleyes:

Ricky's last 5 twitter posts all seem like he will stay.

Great day on the Gold Coast, ready to get back to Melb tho and start my rehab..Just wanna be around the club!! haha..ps.im on 998 followers!

Quiet night on the goldcoast..Cant wait to watch replay of the boys game tomoro nite..cant get enough of it! haha

Could not be happier for the boys! absolutely pumped!

Going to watch my old Surfers Paradise Demons play in great conditions on the goldy! Cant wait to watch the real DEES in action tonight!

Back home on the gold coast now, ive definately brought the weather with me..cant wait to watch Dees tomoro!!

(Edit:Bits in bold were bloded by me not Ricky.)

Edited by Its Miller time

Ricky's last 5 twitter posts all seem like he will stay.

Great day on the Gold Coast, ready to get back to Melb tho and start my rehab..Just wanna be around the club!! haha..ps.im on 998 followers!

Quiet night on the goldcoast..Cant wait to watch replay of the boys game tomoro nite..cant get enough of it! haha

Could not be happier for the boys! absolutely pumped!

Going to watch my old Surfers Paradise Demons play in great conditions on the goldy! Cant wait to watch the real DEES in action tonight!

Back home on the gold coast now, ive definately brought the weather with me..cant wait to watch Dees tomoro!!

thats a good update!

all this talk about rick going to the gold coast is rubbish....he was the first to say how excited he is with his future at the dees...

I dont believe a word of the GC17 jargon...

He most probably has mates playing in the QLD VFL team and at the very least be catching up with mates and family while watching some footy over a diet coke or two.

I would expect GC17 too be talking too him why wouldn't they? But at the end of the day some of his best mates play for the MFC, the money won't be too bad and if we as outsiders too the inner sanctum can see how good the future will be imagine how he feels with a chance to be part of it, i wreckon he would be pretty proud and happy to be given a new contract @ the Melbourne Football Club.

I for one have never been so proud to barack for this great club that really had NO future 3 years ago!

If he does leave, what compensation will we get?

He was a late pick and given his inability to get on the park hasn't featured in our B&Fs. So pretty much nothing?

Yup. I always get confused with contracts... So someone can correct me here.

If we manage to sign RIcky, is it possible then to say to GC they can have him for a decent pick? Say our 1st pick (in the teens somewhere), and Ricky for pick 9 or 7?

Once contracted, would that be absurd to trade him within months of the signature? Will they have room on their list? Will it make him overpriced?

Yeah. It's ridiculous. I know this. But I would be really [censored] to see him go without at least an early second rounder. Particularly because we are light on for decent forwards.

This may end up being one the club has to take up the jacksy.

Either this, or we could say to him, play for 2 years, and after that if you still want to move, we'll engineer a trade. That way we get some more footy from him, up his price, and could likely move him for an up and coming forward on THEIR list that's superfluous. Lord knows they're going to be splitting apart at the seams with talent.

I'm clutching at straws here aren't I?

stay or go ...matters not in the grand scheme of things. One player does not a team make !!

Try saying that to Saints fans.

Make no mistake, like any club we need to hang onto the real thing when it arrives. When a player plays the quality of footy he does, we'll be regretting losing him every time we have a forward who loses form, or costs us a win. Or worse still, if we're just plain lacking goal-kicking power, it'll make the loss of Petterd hurt.

This is the difference between the Collingwood/West Coast type teams. They get a good player, they cling to them. When a good player goes bad, they move them off for a good price. We always seem to be the loser. Though the Trav trade recently was a pretty good one.

Make no mistake, like any club we need to hang onto the real thing when it arrives. When a player plays the quality of footy he does, we'll be regretting losing him every time we have a forward who loses form, or costs us a win. Or worse still, if we're just plain lacking goal-kicking power, it'll make the loss of Petterd hurt.

This is the difference between the Collingwood/West Coast type teams. They get a good player, they cling to them. When a good player goes bad, they move them off for a good price. We always seem to be the loser. Though the Trav trade recently was a pretty good one.

And the McLean trade.

Petterd has had a good start to the year until injured but he is neither the "real thing" or a Riewoldt.

They would not be the examples I would use at all.

West Coast get a good player and cling to him.....Hmmm.....Judd, Cousins....Embley and Kerr. There is no doubt about it WCE have absolutely made a complete meal of their list. They have lost on the players they needed to endure and kept a couple of pretenders on their list who are mere shadows of their former selves.

Collingwood is a well drilled, well coached team that lacks an abosolute star and game breaker (possible a couple). They have not picked up a really good player since Buckley. They lack the elite quality that will take them past a PF. At best this year they might face off Geelong in a GF and get done by 10 goals. They have a number of front runners who go missing in big games Davis, Didak and Daisy. They have players that promise the next step but dont deliver to the next level Shaw, Swa, Pendlebury and Cloke. They have a former No 1 pick who wallows in the 2nds.A disaster. Collingwood spent another first round pick covering him (Wood)and they have also cashed the chips in with Jolly (a mediocre pick up for a 1st rounder). If the Pies dont win the flag this year, there is going to be a cavalcade of retirements from that side as a number of M'house selected 10+ year veterans get their marching orders or seeing the writing on the wall. Malthouse will finish as the longest serving coach at a Club not to win a flag. Another club whose recruiting and list management has been questionable to say the least.

I think we have recruited well over the last few years.

The Big Test will come in the next 3-5 years to see if we can recriut some gun kids who are not so high draft picks, after GC17 & GWS have raped the system.

It's drawing a long bow to suggest that a player's mere presence at a Gold Coast VFL game indicates that he's on the verge of signing up with the new GC17 team. I went to a game there earlier on in the month and they weren't even prepared to let me have a training run with them.

If he does leave, what compensation will we get?

He was a late pick and given his inability to get on the park hasn't featured in our B&Fs. So pretty much nothing?

The Herald Sun came up with this rating thingy based on form/injuries and gave playres a rating out of 30 (and of course Ablett and Judd both got 30) and I'm pretty sure Petterd was low to mid 20s, one of the higher up at the club. I'm pretty sure low to mid 20s was a second round pick.

Not that it matters, he's playing for Melbourne in 2011.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

It's drawing a long bow to suggest that a player's mere presence at a Gold Coast VFL game indicates that he's on the verge of signing up with the new GC17 team. I went to a game there earlier on in the month and they weren't even prepared to let me have a training run with them.

LOL!

I think the safest thing to do is make sure no MFC players leave the CBD for the next 3 years.

Indeed WJ. Can't believe you got overlooked.

I was up there strutting myself around at Dreamworld, White Water World not that long ago. You would of thought some of their Gold Coast officials would have taken some time out to meet with me as I queued up for the Tower of Terror. That was the only opportunity to get me to sign. :/

Not a Gold Coast official in sight. Fantastic Holiday though. Think I'll just kick back in retirement. These million dollar deals...pfft.

I'm staggered they even let you into the ground to watch them play.