Grimes execution by foot

Guest Graham Gaunt

Guest Graham Gaunt

Jacks disposal on Friday night was pretty woeful. Low stab passes and ridiculous chips being either intercepted or resulting in an impossible contest where turnover is ineveitable.

I hope its only a shocker and not a habit forming here, I was face palming when he got hold of it the other night.

Is this part of the gameplan and poor execution or just brain explosions from Jack?

GG

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jacks disposal on Friday night was pretty woeful. Low stab passes and ridiculous chips being either intercepted or resulting in an impossible contest where turnover is ineveitable.

I hope its only a shocker and not a habit forming here, I was face palming when he got hold of it the other night.

Is this part of the gameplan and poor execution or just brain explosions from Jack?

GG

Think it was just a bad night for Jack but I know what you mean. He's been very good up until fri night, and even then he was still great at getting it, he just struggled with his disposal, he just mightn't be a wet weather footballer? More then likely though I'd say he just had an off day.

Think it was just a bad night for Jack but I know what you mean. He's been very good up until fri night, and even then he was still great at getting it, he just struggled with his disposal, he just mightn't be a wet weather footballer? More then likely though I'd say he just had an off day.

Jacks kicking is not a highlight. He cost us 2 goals directly from his mistakes against the roos and another 2 goals (should have been 3 if murphy didn't drop a sitter) on Friday night. All players need to be instructed to kick the ball long when in doubt especially in the wet but grimesy hasn't grasped this yet. Thankfully they got frawley to do the kickins after grimes' mistakes but the damage had been done. I think jack is a good player but when in doubt kick it long!

Edited by Freak

i think the weather was terrible and everyones disposal was terrible, i reckon its a bit rough to single jack out, scully had 8 clangers 5 more then jack and i reckon he had a fair game...

I was going to say that.

Thankfully they got frawley to do the kick-ins after grimes' mistakes but the damage had been done.

One of Frawley's kick-ins was smothered after he kicked it to himself and played on. It came back immediately as a goal and was worse than any of Grimes' errors.

It was wet and everybody on the ground made errors. Get over it.

I reckon Grimes' kicking has been OK for most of this year and can't see why there's the sudden push to specifically pick him out for errors.

One of Frawley's kick-ins was smothered after he kicked it to himself and played on. It came back immediately as a goal and was worse than any of Grimes' errors.

It was wet and everybody on the ground made errors. Get over it.

I reckon Grimes' kicking has been OK for most of this year and can't see why there's the sudden push to specifically pick him out for errors.

well said.

Bit tough on Jack especially if you consider the Mr. Fix-it role he is currently playing - is taking the 3rd best forward and is also forced to lap up any errors made by Warnock and/or Frawley which means he is kicking under considerable pressure every time. I think we sometimes forget he has only played 19 games. One thing he is going to have to learn to deal with, however, is increasing pressure and attention as other clubs become aware of his talent and skill.

Grimes can kick fine it's his decision making that let's him down on occasions.

Against North Melbourne it looked as though 80% of his kicks were sideways kicks, often when a switch of play was not the best option. Sometimes he needs to just go the safe option and not try and get too fancy.

You're probably right, however Cameron Schwab did comment at Before the Bounce that the club thinks Jack is the best of the backmen in terms of decision making. I think Grimesy might have just had an "off" last few weeks. Still love the way he drops back in defence and floats across to take a mark when bombs are raining down on the backline. Bit biased though as I have his number on the back of my jumper :wub:

Jack appears to have to really think about his kicking. There is a very deliberate and slightly unnatural aspect to his action. The really great kicks don't think about it that much in the heat of the battle. He seems to take that fraction longer to to kick. I think that is why it sometimes comes unstuck with Jack. As he adjusts more to the pace of the game (like, he hasn't already?) the mistakes should be less often. You get the feeling with Jack that he will work very hard to eradicate any perceived shortcomings in his game. Kicking aside, I just love him. His decisions are brilliant, his balance in contests is superb. The guy will be around for a long time as one of our favorite sons.

Edited by btdemon

Obviously because he's played 19 games and should be flawless by now.

He'll never be the most amazing kick, we need to accept that. He is the most amazing player at getting to contests, winning the ball and making the right decisions, he hardly ever picks the wrong option by hand or foot. Despite some poor kicking he is most certainly a wet weather footballer, just like Scully and Trengove the class rose to the top.

Garland's kick in was particularly poor (out of bounds off the side of the boot). Frawley's aren't great, and I'm scared when Bruce goes to pick up the ball (or Warnock, or Bartram or Rivers for that matter). Hopefully Strauss can get back into the side soon, he was certainly going ok before illness stopped him from playing in the VFL this week.

Obviously because he's played 19 games and should be flawless by now.

Lets swap him off. I though Bartram was worse. Even his short passes look terrible.

What about our forwards - not sure there was one mark in the first quater.

Wet weather football, needs some improvement there.

Grimes can kick fine it's his decision making that let's him down on occasions.

Against North Melbourne it looked as though 80% of his kicks were sideways kicks, often when a switch of play was not the best option. Sometimes he needs to just go the safe option and not try and get too fancy.

so true- where were you last week when I was saying the same things-also lac of discipline on ocassions

This is a ludicrous thread.

No it's not.

Grimes is going to be a star (he probably already is), but his one weakness can be his decision making. It's a fair and reasonable point to make. It's probably not a massive concern, but it is one area (just about the only area) that he needs to improve on and I'm sure he will.

He'll never be the most amazing kick, we need to accept that. He is the most amazing player at getting to contests, winning the ball and making the right decisions, he hardly ever picks the wrong option by hand or foot. Despite some poor kicking he is most certainly a wet weather footballer, just like Scully and Trengove the class rose to the top.

Garland's kick in was particularly poor (out of bounds off the side of the boot). Frawley's aren't great, and I'm scared when Bruce goes to pick up the ball (or Warnock, or Bartram or Rivers for that matter). Hopefully Strauss can get back into the side soon, he was certainly going ok before illness stopped him from playing in the VFL this week.

Strauss or Cheney

so true- where were you last week when I was saying the same things-also lac of discipline on ocassions

One of the problems we have as a club is we don't know how to play Etihad and don't seem to realise it is much narrower than the G. What works at the G will not work there and whilst it's great to switch play it is just not as easy at Etihad.

Jack is a very good kick under normal circumstances and my only problem is he will not kick the ball until he has the right option and this causes a bit of anxiety because it looks as if he will get caught but he never seems to.

Give him a break the last two weeks have been hard for any of the players to display great skills.

Even though Grimes` kicking was down on Friday night, he still won alot of one on one contests and created some excitement with his speed and set us up a couple of times across half back. I got no problems with the boy, hes going to be star, if he already isnt one

Edited by MelbournePassion

Yes, Grimes made a few errors,as did many others.

2 things to take into account:

1) He is playing in the bcakline, so his errors are more noticable, if he was doing ot deep in the forward line it probably wont result in a goal to the opposition, so we wont be as critical.

2) His decision making is fine, it is just that he likes to take a risk, and not just do the percentage play all the time. Some people may dislike this, but I love it. We need risk takers who will kick the ball to a person in the middle of the ground instead of around the boundary. Too many players are scared to try, but not Jack.

He will be a gun for us, and a star in the AFL because of his style, and if you cant accpet a couple of errors every now and then, then I guess you would prefer he be a robot like most other players.

No - you are just a looser- this is what I was driving at last week- you no nothing about football

Haha the irony of that post.

Thanks. If you disagree with me it holds my views in good stead.

I thought his issue on Friday night was too often he tried to thread the needle in terms of his kicking when really you shouldn't do that on a wet night (Unless you have 36 on your back).

Generally a very good kick and I don't see a major issue with his disposal.