I TIPPETT THIS!

Demonland

I TIPPETT THIS! by The Oracle

Melbourne underlined the fact that it will be a major improver among the AFL's sixteen clubs when it beat the elements and an ailing Adelaide in its Round 3 clash in swirly windswept conditions at the MCG.

While the Demons broke the ice for season 2010, the time has to crack open the champers has not come quite yet, because the game clearly demonstrated that the team has a fair way to go before it attains the level of skills required to go it with the elite clubs of the competition which the current Crows combination is certainly not.

The conditions under which the game was played certainly dictated that the 23,335 hardy souls who braved the elements to attend the game were not going to witness an exhibition of pretty football. In fact, the first half was an absolute eyesore.

Whereas a week ago, Melbourne and Collingwood fought out an epic contest under sunny Autumn skies, this contest reminded one of the old adage about our game being a winter game. The heavens opened as the game started, the winds squalled throughout and neither side was exactly on target with its disposal. 

Moreover, while the Magpies went on the attack last week to salvage the game against the persistent and somewhat unlucky Demons, the Crows did what they do best and produced their own particular brand of dour defensive football replete with tight zones and, once they forged a lead of around 20 points in the early parts of the second quarter, they seemed content to hold their ground to break the opposition, rather than to grind them into the dirt as would most top teams.

This tactic almost succeeded when Adelaide added to its half time lead of 4.9.33 to 1.8.14 the first goal immediately after the main break to take a 25-point lead which, in terms of such a low scoring contest, seemed like an ever deepening chasm. Melbourne's only goal to that time, Brad Green's snap midway through the first term which broke a run of five behinds, was by then almost a distant memory.

The Demons of last year and the year before would have pliantly succumbed but not this lot. Led by an underrated skipper in James McDonald, another dominant ruck performance from Mark Jamar and a group of youngsters headed by key poisition defender James Frawley and young sidekick Jack Grimes, the aggressive new Demons of 2010 laid down the challenge and kicked the next two goals to halve the deficit and suddenly, it was game on.

Watching in the stands, you could sense the change in the game and you knew that Melbourne was in with a big chance to cause an upset. They had every cause to go on and win with a coach who had been under intense pressure just a week and a half earlier and an inspirational club president recovering from major surgery. And, importantly, they had something to prove for themselves.

Adelaide was truly wilting both physically and mentally under Melbourne's determined onslaught that eventuaklly yielded four goals - two of them to Matthew Bate and one each to youngsters Jamie Bennell and Jack Trengove (his first in the bigtime). Suddenly, the Demons were in unfamiliar territory. They held a lead, albeit a narrow one, at three quarter time.

The Crows looked bowed and beaten, their bench and rotations limited and yet, to their credit, it took most of the final term before the home team could break the deadlock and who better to kick a decisive goal than skipper James McDonald who received a long pass from Green with less than three minutes remaining? A minute later, a tap out from Jamar was roved by Nathan Jones and victory was secured.

There were many heroes in this game which saw a very even contribution across the board from all twenty-two players. Particular mention must go to the defence and to the contribution of Matthew Warnock who kept Kurt Tippett goalless. A little over a month ago, in a practice match in Elizabeth, South Australia, it was Tippet's five-goal haul that made the difference in a tight game that was decided with half a minute to go. After that game I bravely predicted that the Demons would win their next encounter if they could stop the Crows' big forward so I can now honestly say, "I Tippet this!"

Melbourne 1.5.11 1.8.14 5.11.41 7.15.57

Adelaide 2.5.17 4.9.33 5.10.40 5.11.41

Goals

Melbourne Bate 2 Bennell Green Jones McDonald Trengove

Adelaide Burton 3 Cooke Maric

Best

Melbourne Warnock Grimes Green Trengove Frawley McDonald

AdelaideVince Goodwin Doughty Thompson

Injuries

Melbourne Nil

Adelaide Bock (hamstring) Dangerfield (shoulder) Hentschel

Reports Nil

Changes

Adelaide Schmidt replaced Stevens

MelbourneGarland replaced Sylvia

Umpires McBurney, Ryan, Armstrong

Crowd 23,335 at the MCG

might we review the Crows game first ???? :unsure:

might we review the Crows game first ???? :unsure:

They don't call him the Oracle for nothing.

However, we have asked him to stop writing his review of the Richmond game and concentrate on today's match v Adelaide first.

As a consequence, we've changed the title to this thread to appropriately reflect the match under review.

Not a Newton fan but he showed a bit... he was throwing his weight around and having a crack at a few of their defenders. Also took some nice marks on the wing and quickly swung around on the left a few times showing that his confidence is growing each week. Definitely worth persisting with while he continues to improve.

Good to see Garland get through a game and will be better for the run.

Frawley shut Burton down after he could have kicked 5 goals in the 1st half ... why did it take so long to make the move?

I have a very special present for people who weren't at the game, and got permission from Cameron S to post... Watch this space as well.

Should be ready tomorrow morning - getting late and taking time to get it up online.

Edited by Kiss of Death

Not a Newton fan but he showed a bit... he was throwing his weight around and having a crack at a few of their defenders. Also took some nice marks on the wing and quickly swung around on the left a few times showing that his confidence is growing each week. Definitely worth persisting with while he continues to improve.

Agree, he will build on each and every AFL game he plays this year. I was happy with him today.

Good to see Garland get through a game and will be better for the run.

Frawley shut Burton down after he could have kicked 5 goals in the 1st half ... why did it take so long to make the move?

Thought he started very well, presented, took marks, tackled, chased but then fell away badly. He dropped easy marks he should have taken, he'd done the hard work to get a yard or two in space then dropped marks. But as you said it is improvement, slow but some improvement.

I tipped us to win. Also tipped freo over geelong. Good weekend for me.

Same here. The only one I missed was the Bombers beating Carlton. I made that call based on the respective forward setups and sadly got shown up. Still, given the games today I think I've had a better week than the rest of the folks at work. :)

Same here. The only one I missed was the Bombers beating Carlton. I made that call based on the respective forward setups and sadly got shown up. Still, given the games today I think I've had a better week than the rest of the folks at work. :)

Say hello to a man who tipped 8.

I backed the Dees to win against collingwood with a 45 point start (how could you resist that bet),

tipped them this week and we got on at half time at $5.50 for the Dees to win.

The fire has started.

Go Dees

Here's a link to video of Cameron Schwab speaking to all the members who gathered after the game to celebrate, enjoy!

(ps - click "See All" under the videos on the right to find Part 1.. looks like it's only displaying the last three for me)

Thanks for that. Appreciated.

Cleared up why Sylvia didn't play. Not a jaw thing, just a lack of training thing.