Junior - Skipper

jumbo returns

Tbh, I doubted his choice as captain. Every time I see him play, I cansee why he is our captain.

Next year, assuming Junior doesn't go round again, I can see our captain coming from either Moloney, Sylvia, Davey or Green. Each have their reasons why they could legitimately put their hand up to be our leader. Good luck to the playing and leadership group trying to pick one.

Tbh, I doubted his choice as captain. Every time I see him play, I cansee why he is our captain.

Next year, assuming Junior doesn't go round again, I can see our captain coming from either Moloney, Sylvia, Davey or Green. Each have their reasons why they could legitimately put their hand up to be our leader. Good luck to the playing and leadership group trying to pick one.

I'd go with Green Capt and Moloney and Davey Vice. I loved the way Greeny was talking to the boys after the game. :wub:

I'd go with Green Capt and Moloney and Davey Vice. I loved the way Greeny was talking to the boys after the game. :wub:

Bruce..?

I think Green will be the answer though.

Since Bailey came to the club & green was left out of the leadership group, he has since developed the leadership traits that I considered him to be missing.

Not sure about Moloney - gave a passionate speech at last year's B&F, virtually telling McLean to FO, but he needs to translate this passion onto the playing field. He probably still has some development in him and if he is to put his hand up for next year, he needs to stamp his authority as an elite midfielder now.

Only one of those is legitimate for mine. Green easily.

I think Junior has been very solid in both games and he deserves his place in our best 22 even without the captaincy. However, the pies game highlighted the fact that the younger midfielders have gone past him skill-wise & for agility/speed (which is to be expected given the stage of his career). Once this young brigade consistently replicate Junior's attack on the footy and tackling ability he will find it more and more difficult to get game time and a run in the middle. Which will be great for the MFC and I am sure that Junior will be more than happy for this scenario to play out because he is such a great club man.

Bruce..?

I think Green will be the answer though.

Since Bailey came to the club & green was left out of the leadership group, he has since developed the leadership traits that I considered him to be missing.

Bruce will be very lucky to hold his place in the team the way he is playing.

Green for 2 years then if Grimes is ready give it to him.

Totally agree.

Green is clearly our best leader after Junior. Grimes, whilst still a little raw at times has shown amazing leadership qualities in little more than a dozen games, I doubt there have been many that he wasn`t named in our best!

Junior was fantastic on Sat`dy. Sure his skills may not be as good as some of the young guns, but he`s rarely been considered a great disposer of the ball. He continues to win the hard ball and get clearances. Who knows, if he keeps up this form he may go round 1 more year, and if so, I reckon it`d be a great time to take a step back and let Greeny be Captain for a few and then as C84 quoted, pass the baton to Grimer in a few years time!

Between Green and Davey for mine.

I'd like to see Davey get it as I love the romance of an Aboriginal player captaining the Australia's oldest footy club to it's next premiership.

If Davey can produce the kind of breathtaking footy he did in the second half on Saturday consistently this season, I'd give him the nod.

His challenge is to rise to the next level where he doesn't go missing for large chunks of games.

A second alternative is Green for two seasons before handing over to Davey, but I'd prefer Davey to get it and grow into the role.

Edited by Spirit of Barassi

Junior & Green show desperation & courage every time they take to the field, as a leader should. Some of our other players don't until the team gets a rocket as they did during the week.

The challenge for the coaching staff is to make the team play with that desperation everytime they play in the Red&Blue.

Edited by Big Kev